Cruise suggestions for summer 2015

Zoom77

Hello,

After our first cruise in 2010 (Western Med from Barcelona) we are thinking to maybe take another cruise in summer 2015, this time to Northern Europe / Baltic.

What I am looking for (apart from an itinerary that we will find interesting) is:

a) A ship as good or better than the NCL Jade we used for our first cruise, with nice balcony suites.

b) Flexible dining

c) Casual or "semi-casual" dress code

Apart from NCL what other cruise lines should I be looking at?

Hello,

After our first cruise in 2010 (Western Med from Barcelona) we are thinking to maybe take another cruise in summer 2015, this time to Northern Europe / Baltic.

What I am looking for (apart from an itinerary that we will find interesting) is:

a) A ship as good or better than the NCL Jade we used for our first cruise, with nice balcony suites.

b) Flexible dining

c) Casual or "semi-casual" dress code

We loved our 12 nighter RCI ship out of Harwich...amazing. While we also enjoyed our Western Med RCI cruise out of Barcelona...nothing compared to Northern Europe & Baltics. Enjoy whatever ship works for you.

Hello,

a) A ship as good or better than the NCL Jade we used for our first cruise, with nice balcony suites. Almost every cruise line meets this criteria.

b) Flexible dining Almost every cruise meets this criteria.

c) Casual or "semi-casual" dress code This is the tougher one. Most have a dress code, but allow for casual dress in the buffet area. Some higher end cruise lines don't have formal nights.

See comments above.

Thanks for your answers.

When I was searching for a cruise in 2010, NCL was one of the very few cruise lines to offer a truly flexible dining and had a casual dress code.

I understand that more cruise lines do that now, but is it really almost all of them? That would be a huge change in just 4 years (a very welcome change for me!)

"Some higher end cruise lines don't have formal nights"

Really? I thought that the more high end the more formal! Are you talking about relatively small ships?

Zoom77, at least three ships that does Baltic cruises next season, will not dock in central Stockholm but rather in Nynäshamn.

They will require a tender from the ship into shore in Nynäshamn and then they will require a one hour journey by bus or commuter train to get into central Stockholm.

This also means that you will miss the part where the ship sails through the archipelago.

The ships are Royal Princess, Regal Princess and Britannia and the reason is that that they are just a little too big to be allowed to sail into central Stockholm.

However ports of Stockholm and the Swedish maritime authority are conducting simulations to see if the Royal Princess can be allowed into central Stockholm.

Thanks for your answers.

When I was searching for a cruise in 2010, NCL was one of the very few cruise lines to offer a truly flexible dining and had a casual dress code.

I understand that more cruise lines do that now, but is it really almost all of them? That would be a huge change in just 4 years (a very welcome change for me!)

"Some higher end cruise lines don't have formal nights"

Really? I thought that the more high end the more formal! Are you talking about relatively small ships?

Some high end lines have no formal nights at all. "Country Club" casual at all times. "Higher end" doesn't equal "more formal" at all, unless you are talking Cunard.

Most cruise lines have an "Open Seating" feature now. This has arrived in pretty much all the cruise industry in the last 10 years. I know we have used Holland America's "open seating" 3 times in the past 5 years, and it started before that.

Desdichado62, thanks for the info regarding Stockholm! We've been to Stockholm 2 years ago and the mini cruise in the archipelago was one of the highlights! Also I know from our first cruise that we much prefer when the port is in the city we want to visit (like Barcelona, Palma and Monaco and unlike Civitavecchia for Rome).

CruiserBruce, so is there anything special about the "Freestyle" of NCL now? Or will I be able to get that same experience with any cruise line now? In 2010 Freestyle was one of the reasons I choose NCL.

There is also a new cruise line next year called Viking cruises that does cruises from Stockholm, via the regular Baltic ports+Oslo, to Bergen/Flåm.

I don't know but presumably (and logically) it should also have cruises in the opposite direction from Bergen to Stockholm?

I was considering this cruise with Regal Princes:

http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=G528

Before I was considering the cruise with NCL Star:

http://www.ncl.eu/booking.php?stage=sailing_details&cruise_package_id=2078257

The Regal is a brand new ship and for some reason it is cheaper than NCL Star, even though it is for 11 days instead of 9 with the Star. But Stockholm could be an issue. (The Star docks at Stockholm)

Which of the two cruises seems better?

Any clue for when we will have the results of those simulations for docking at Stockholm?

Also:

I have been looking at cruises by

Regent Seven Seas Voyager

http://www.rssc.com/cruises/VOY150618/summary/default.aspx

Oceania Marina

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/balticandscandinavia/mna150814/default.aspx

Seabourn Quest

http://www.seabourn.com/find-luxury-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetailsSuiteDetails.action?voyageCode=6539

Crystal Symphony

http://www.crystalcruises.com/european-cruises/round-trip-copenhagen--5219/

... but the prices are much higher (about 2x or more). In what way would these more expensive cruises be better? (I am comparing rooms with balconies)

The page you linked to was the European NCL page, and the prices were in Euros. Here is the cruise in dollars so it will be easier to compare to Princess' rates (which are listed in dollars). It appears that Princess is currently running a sale, which would explain why their prices are so competitive. Last summer, our trip on the Star was much cheaper than the similar Royal/Regal Princess cruises, but I booked last minute so it is hard to tell.

http://www.ncl.com/cruises/9-day-baltic-capitals-round-trip-copenhagen-STAR9CPHWARTLLLEDHELSTOCPH/Dates/July-2015?numberOfGuests=4294915774&state=null&sailmonths=4294925776&ships=4294963170&&itineraryCode=STAR9CPHWARTLLLEDHELSTOCPH

In general, Princess is more expensive than NCL, and Princess was our favorite cruise line. However, we chose not to sail Princess last summer for the Baltic cruises due to the specific design issues in the Regal/Royal Princess, which include both the inability to dock directly in Stockholm and the lack of a center staircase throughout part of the ship. Many - though not all - reviewers felt that due to the missing staircase the elevators were overburdened and it was hard to maneuver around the ship (some reviewers reported that they personally did not have any trouble with the elevators, but since we were traveling with a 3 year old we couldn't take the chance).

Thanks kitKat!

If the prices were as they are now, would you still choose the Star over the Regal?

The HAL cruise I poster above is also at about the same price, and the itinerary might be a bit better (docks at Stockholm and stays overnight). I just can't seem to find on their website how much they would charge for a 3rd person.

CruiserBruce, so is there anything special about the "Freestyle" of NCL now? Or will I be able to get that same experience with any cruise line now? In 2010 Freestyle was one of the reasons I choose NCL.

I have not cruised NCL, so can't say exactly what the "experience" is. However, we found nothing wrong with HAL's Open Seating, we are using it again starting on Tuesday, sailing on Statendam.

The fact that all NCL dining venues (except for the upcharge ones) were built with "Freestyle" in mind and have the system down pat. On most other lines it is limited to a smaller area in a dining room that will also have traditional dining times. You might experience something similar but you don't have the option of having dinner in more than one venue except if going to the buffet, whereas on NCL you'll have the MDR's, O'Sheehans, and other areas to choose from.

The fact that all NCL dining venues (except for the upcharge ones) were built with "Freestyle" in mind and have the system down pat. On most other lines it is limited to a smaller area in a dining room that will also have traditional dining times. You might experience something similar but you don't have the option of having dinner in more than one venue except if going to the buffet, whereas on NCL you'll have the MDR's, O'Sheehans, and other areas to choose from.

So is NCL the only one to do that? I see many of the newer and bigger ships having many restaurants. Can't you just eat your lunch/dinner there? Or are they not included in the price and you have to pay extra for them?

It's a tough call between the Regal vs Star, since I haven't actually sailed on the Regal and don't personally know if the elevators are always crowded which was a substantial concern of mine prior to booking.

We were generally quite happy on the star; the only concerns I had were the kids club hours (which doesn't affect most cruisers), the food in the main dining room (the specialty restaurants were generally quite good so this problem can be easily solved) and the breakfast buffet is very overcrowded and doesn't have very good food. Had we booked earlier, I would have gotten a suite on the Star which would have solved most of those problems (suite passengers have access to their own restaurant for breakfast and lunch), and given us priority disembarkation in St. Petersburg. I was also very glad to have the sail in to Stockholm, as that was quite lovely. I don't think most cruisers are as picky about food as I am, so I think most cruisers would be quite happy on the Star. Overall, we had a very good ship experience and it would have been outstanding in a suite so I think we would choose the Star again if we were going on this cruise again. If the Regal/Royal were given clearance into Stockholm and the price was similar I would guess you would be better off on Princess since the free food options are stronger.

Edited by kitkat343

Thanks. Can you expand on that a bit? Do you mean better quality or more options for free food?

Princess has good quality food and anytime dining. They also send newer ships to the Baltic itineraries. However, this cruise is all about the itinerary and very port intensive. It could have been my favorite, right up there with Grand Med itinerary. Not sure how casual you are looking for. I only brought a sports jacket (no tie), but always wore khakis and shirt at a minimum to dinner. Options for dinner include dining rooms, Crown Grille steak house, Giovanni's upscale Italian, Alfredo's casual Italian, crab shack, and sushi/seafood place.

My criticisms of the ship are crowded elevators and too big to dock right in Stockholm. I also think Aarhus is an inferior port. Those are minor criticisms in the totality of a great cruise.

Thanks hubofhockey!

Not sure how casual you are looking for.

Lets say I want it to be as on the land. So to wear something a bit formal if I go to a steakhouse, but to also have options to go totally casual to eat a burger. The more totally casual / semi-casual places to eat the better for me as I wouldn't want to take clothes specifically for dining.

Options for dinner include dining rooms, Crown Grille steak house, Giovanni's upscale Italian, Alfredo's casual Italian, crab shack, and sushi/seafood place.

Are those options free (included in the price)?

Edited by Zoom77

Zoom77, regarding the simulations for the Princess sisters, I don't know when it will be finished and what the expected result will be.

The latest thing I read was an article dated October 21st which said that simulations were ongoing but that nothing finite decision had been taken yet.

Currently Celebrity Silhouette is the largest ship that has been allowed to enter Stockholm.

I'd agree with hubofhockey's opinion on the food on Princess. We sailed one of their older ships (Coral) twice, and greatly enjoyed the food in the main dining room.

I had read the reviews of dining on NCL, and although some people are happy with it others had concerns, I had a fairly strong idea that it wasn't going to work for my family since we are very picky. The main dining room took a half hour to take our order, and left my husband without silverware for his entree. The lack of silverware didn't matter, since when he borrowed my fork he discovered the short ribs were inedible. The other free dining room, Aqua, was slightly better but still not very good. I had assumed when I booked my cruise that I would need to add the cost of specialty restaurants to the cruise fare, since the NCL cruise was much cheaper than the Princess one we normally would have chosen if not for the elevator issue and the inability to dock in Stockholm. The added fee Brazilian restaurant and Steak restaurant were both very good, and we ate two excellent meals off the ship in Germany and Russia so overall everything was fine. Less picky people are happy with the main dining on NCL, and others can choose the specialty restaurants so this is a problem that can be solved fairly easily.

In terms of picking a cruise, you might also want to look at the specific day of the week you will be in each city. I wrote a forum post here that explains how different closures will affect you depending on what day you arrive: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2103883

Have a great trip!

Edited by kitkat343

Zoom77, I too was looking for a Baltic Cruise for summer 2015 for something a bit different to my usual holidays in the Med. I eventually settled for the 14 night cruise on Celebrity Eclipse leaving Southampton on 25 July (also 11 July). Two main reasons for choosing this option were the itinerary, which looks superb, and the consistently high scores given to the Eclipse on Cruise Critic. 90% 'I loved it' rating is about as good as it gets on here.

The ship offers 'Select Dining' which means you can dine anytime between 6pm and 9.30pm and are not restricted to the same table at the same time every night. How it compares to NCL's offering I can't really say as I've yet to sail with either line.

There are 3 formal nights during the cruise, which may not suit you, however from what I've read there are plenty of alternatives to the MDR on these nights if you don't want to get dressed up. Maybe worth a look.:)

almost every cruise line now offers some sort of 'freestyle/anytime dining. We also sailed NCL in the Baltics, only it was the Jewel. We have been sailing NCL right from the get go as we love the 'freestyle' dining. As I said, I do believe all the major cruise lines now offer some form of this type of dining. NCL doesn't offer regular seating, if that is to one's pleasure, most of the others do have some form of that also.

As for dress, again, cruising has become more and more casual. I haven't brought a jacket on a cruise in over 7 years and have NEVER been denied seating in any dining room at any time. Lines like Carnival are even starting to allow people in the MDR in shorts, but I believe they are the only ones.

As long as you are decently dressed, not ripped pants, maybe no jeans, and a decent shirt, you will be able to eat anywhere you like. More and more people are going away from formal wear, and if they do dress it is a jacket and tie. Many don't even bother with that.

Cheers

Len

Zoom77, I too was looking for a Baltic Cruise for summer 2015 for something a bit different to my usual holidays in the Med. I eventually settled for the 14 night cruise on Celebrity Eclipse leaving Southampton on 25 July (also 11 July). Two main reasons for choosing this option were the itinerary, which looks superb, and the consistently high scores given to the Eclipse on Cruise Critic. 90% 'I loved it' rating is about as good as it gets on here.

The ship offers 'Select Dining' which means you can dine anytime between 6pm and 9.30pm and are not restricted to the same table at the same time every night. How it compares to NCL's offering I can't really say as I've yet to sail with either line.

There are 3 formal nights during the cruise, which may not suit you, however from what I've read there are plenty of alternatives to the MDR on these nights if you don't want to get dressed up. Maybe worth a look.:)

Our first cruise with Celebrity was on the Eclipse Baltics out of Southampton, and after that wonderful experience, we've not considered other lines.

As far as formal nights, the more we've cruised, the less obliged DH has felt to bring a suit or sportscoat. He does wear dress shirt and tie for formal nights and the maitre'd will supply him a coat from the stash he has on hand. If you end up in AquaClass with it's designated dining room, BLU, the dress code there, and in specialty restaurants, is always "smart casual".

Don't know where the Eclipse will dock in Stockholm next year, but on our cruise she was right in the city harbor and just a few steps from the HoHo boat.

We will be sailing her again to the Fjords in May.