Not Impressed with Embarkation

accent505

We just completed a Caribbean cruise on the Ruby.

We arrived at the port by 11:40 am, having left our house at 4:00 am that morning, for the journey to Ft Lauderdale.

I was expecting, like on all other cruises, that one would be processed and allowed to board by that time. Not on this cruise. People were processed for boarding until all the seats were full in the area, then the clerks behind the desk stopped taking passengers. We all stared at each other until noon, when the people who had been processed and were now waiting on chairs, were told to proceed to the ship.At that point, the clerks began processing the passengers and we were allowed to board.

I kept wondering if this was great customer service according to Princess. It seemed to me it showed a real lack of courtesy on Princess' part, making so many wait, with no explanation given.

I was a bit upset about the wait, but consoled ourselves by thinking about the nice sit down lunch to come. It was not to be. No restaurant was opened. I checked every restaurant on the ship, and ended eating at the buffet.

One of our group had put two bottles of wine in her suitcase, as we have done on many occasions. Her luggage was searched and one of the bottles was removed.

I understand the rules, but it used to be well-known that bottles of wine were allowed.

It seemed to me that one could put a bottle in your suitcase and then take one on board - no one checked or cross referenced the carry on with the suitcases.

i kept thinking that this is the 'new' Princess, and even though we are Platinum only, I do think that we will look for other cruise lines in the future.

We enjoyed our times on Princess but I am not sure we will sail again with them.

accent505

This sounds like a very unusual embarkation or something delayed embarkation for some reason. What you experienced is definitely not the norm. As I'm sure you're aware, Princess has little or no control over when the ship is cleared for embarkation. A month ago, when I did the BVE on the Crown, embarkation was delayed due to ONE person doing a B2B who couldn't be found to disembark and go through Immigration so the ship could be cleared. He was apparently hiding and it took Princess an hour to find him. It's unfortunate that one person can be so self-centered and affect so many other people. :(

It's been well-known for quite a while (plus it's been in the Princess FAQs) that one bottle of wine is allowed at embarkation. Not sure what to tell you but whatever people have been able to get away with in the past, or perhaps even be able to get away with now, there's always the chance that this rule will be enforced. It's a gamble to ignore it and certainly not a reason to be upset.

Sorry you didn't catch up on the newest rules regarding boarding and allowed wine. Now they are having staggered boarding to avoid the long waits....not many comply and this causes a problem. Only one bottle of wine per person is allowed. If you declare more wine, there is a corkage fee. There is a dining room open for lunch until 1:30 on boarding day but is not well advertised. These rules have been in effect for some time.

Couple of things:

1> Boarding is controlled by the port staff with input by Princess as to when can people come aboard. There are capacity restrictions for the waiting area based on fire code, etc so at some point they may have to stop letting people in. The staff at check in are not Princess staff.

2> If it was 12:00 by the time you restarted the line, its possible it was 1:00 by the time you looked for an MDR? They close at 1 or 1:30 to allow the staff to assist with embarkation and still have time to prep for dinner.

3> You say you know the rules but are upset because Princess actually enforced the rules they have been saying they would enforce??

That said, these are the new rules, so if you can find another line that meets your preferences, you should always shift.

We arrived at the port by 11:40 am, having left our house at 4:00 am that morning, for the journey to Ft Lauderdale.

I was expecting, like on all other cruises, that one would be processed and allowed to board by that time. Not on this cruise. People were processed for boarding until all the seats were full in the area, then the clerks behind the desk stopped taking passengers. We all stared at each other until noon, when the people who had been processed and were now waiting on chairs, were told to proceed to the ship.At that point, the clerks began processing the passengers and we were allowed to board.

I kept wondering if this was great customer service according to Princess. It seemed to me it showed a real lack of courtesy on Princess' part, making so many wait, with no explanation given.

I was a bit upset about the wait, but consoled ourselves by thinking about the nice sit down lunch to come. It was not to be. No restaurant was opened. I checked every restaurant on the ship, and ended eating at the buffet.

One of our group had put two bottles of wine in her suitcase, as we have done on many occasions. Her luggage was searched and one of the bottles was removed.

I understand the rules, but it used to be well-known that bottles of wine were allowed.

It seemed to me that one could put a bottle in your suitcase and then take one on board - no one checked or cross referenced the carry on with the suitcases.

i kept thinking that this is the 'new' Princess, and even though we are Platinum only, I do think that we will look for other cruise lines in the future.

We enjoyed our times on Princess but I am not sure we will sail again with them.

accent505

You're upset because your friend was caught breaking the rules?

Your one bottle of wine per person needs to be put in your carry on and checked in prior to boarding the ship. You can bring more than 1 but you have to pay the fee.

I just cruised on the Ruby two weeks ago (Nov 3 sailing). My boarding pass said 12:30. We got to the port around noon. The line was so long and didn't even move for three solid hours. We just parked ourselves on a bench in the shade under the overhang and ended up sitting there for 3 hours. We saw tons of people line up ...having to endure the hot sun as the line got so long and much beyond the end of the terminal building. There was no way I could have stood out there for that length of time. I didn't set on the ship until around 3:30.

However, I loved Princess and will be sailing on the Regal in April. Don't let a bad boarding experience deter you from sailing with a wonderful cruise line. I hope you had a good time on the ship though and can just put the boarding experience behind you.

I am on Ruby this Saturday and my boarding pass says CHECK IN 12:30PM-3:00PM.

As you are Platinum you were free to ignore the "advice" of staggered boarding and go straight to the Platinum check-in line (as I will be).

We all wish check-in could be faster and smoother, but it sounds like you were onboard right at or even slightly before 12:30, so assuming your boarding pass read as mine your wait time was no more than should be expected.

I just cruised on the Ruby two weeks ago (Nov 3 sailing). My boarding pass said 12:30. We got to the port around noon. The line was so long and didn't even move for three solid hours. We just parked ourselves on a bench in the shade under the overhang and ended up sitting there for 3 hours. We saw tons of people line up ...having to endure the hot sun as the line got so long and much beyond the end of the terminal building. There was no way I could have stood out there for that length of time. I didn't set on the ship until around 3:30.

However, I loved Princess and will be sailing on the Regal in April. Don't let a bad boarding experience deter you from sailing with a wonderful cruise line. I hope you had a good time on the ship though and can just put the boarding experience behind you.

Your embarkation was delayed because there were only 2 immigration officials (definitely not Princess' fault) to process almost 3000 disembarking passengers. In addition they had to page 2 or 3 disembarking couples repeatedly to get off the ship before processing the b2b cruisers. I know because we were on the b2b and weren't back on the ship until after 12:15. Embarkation couldn't start until all 150 b2b passengers reboarded - probably around 12:30.

The dining room on Caribbean is open for lunch from noon until 1:30. It is the mid-ship one on Deck 6. Sorry your friend did not pay attention to the wine policy for Princess, they are enforcing it and have been pretty consistent about it since it went into effect.

As far as embarkation lines, we haven't had to endure the waits, etc., in a very long time since we do have preferred boarding, but on a b2b in August on the CB we returned about 12:45 to reboard the ship and oh my, those were terrible, long lines. We had been hoping to make it onboard to have our traditional lunch in the dining room, but by the time we were on board, it was past 1:30 and the dining room was closed. Adhering to the recommended staggered boarding times just might make sense, but, well, we would also prefer to be onboard asap.

I am on Ruby this Saturday and my boarding pass says CHECK IN 12:30PM-3:00PM.

As you are Platinum you were free to ignore the "advice" of staggered boarding and go straight to the Platinum check-in line (as I will be).

We all wish check-in could be faster and smoother, but it sounds like you were onboard right at or even slightly before 12:30, so assuming your boarding pass read as mine your wait time was no more than should be expected.

Just curious, did your documents list progressive embarkation?

We were on the Nov. 3rd cruise on Ruby. Once inside the terminal a lady was standing guard. She was stopping Priority boarding people unless they were on Aloha or Baja decks. Luckily we were on Aloha and were able to proceed once we proved to her we were within our time to check in, on the proper deck, and had our health forms completed and reviewed. Other people were told there was no Elite lounge. That was incorrect as we were in it until 12:15 when we boarded. We went straight to the MDR which was listed in the Patter as open for lunch until 1:30. Several crew members told us there was no dining room open. They were wrong. Checkin was a huge mess for most people. The explanation we heard was the Regal Princess was in Ruby's normal terminal. Also, not enough agents were available. Whatever the reasons, Princess needs to work with the terminal employees to get things running smoother.

Edited by Grannycb

Just curious, did your documents list progressive embarkation?

We were on the Nov. 3rd cruise on Ruby. Once inside the terminal a lady was standing guard. She was stopping Priority boarding people unless they were on Aloha or Baja decks. Luckily we were on Aloha and were able to proceed once we proved to her we were within our time to check in, on the proper deck, and had our health forms completed and reviewed.

No mention of progressive check-in on my preferred boarding pass--but there is this on the travel summary (emphasis mine):

PROGRESSIVE CRUISE CHECK-IN INFORMATION

To help facilitate a smooth start to your voyage we have implemented a progressive cruise check-in schedule. If you have purchased a Princess Cruise Plus Package/Transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel or the airport. Guests travelling on shared transport or arriving as a group will be checked in together. Priority check-in will be available to guests with a Preferred Boarding Pass within the allocated check-in times after dropping off luggage and clearing security. Boarding will commence shortly after check-in. Please arrive at the start of cruise check-in times below. Once on board, enjoy a meal at Horizon Court which remains open throughout the day to serve you. 12:30 pm - Aloha & Lido Decks - Cabins begin with A & L 1:00 pm - Caribe & Riviera Decks - Cabins begin with C & R 1:30 pm - Baja & Plaza Decks - Cabins begin with B & P 2:00 pm - Dolphin & Emerald Decks - Cabins begin with D & E All guests must be onboard one hour prior to sailing. We look forward to welcoming you aboard Ruby Princess.]

So what does "within the allocated check-in times" mean? I take it to mean that I can arrive anytime between 12:30 and 3:00 as per my preferred boarding pass. Apparently the lady you encountered took an overly strict interpretation that the staggering by deck constitutes "allocated times" (it does NOT, as "times" implies a specific start and end to the check-in window rather than only progressive start times). And if Princess does intent to enforce progressive boarding to those with priority boarding it certainly should be printed on the boarding pass.

Edited by fishywood

Good luck to the OP in finding a cruise line that does embarkation better. Unless you move up to a luxury line, the odds are that you'll find the same types of delays--many of them outside of the control of the cruise line. We have been delayed in boarding on Princess a couple of times. We have also had to wait to board on HAL and Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

that embarkation was unfortunately a mess not thanks to princess but not enough customs officers there were only 3 total for all the passengers and crew members

Hope other cruise lines work out better for you...we sailed on Royal Caribbean in March with family, and there was a security check line that was over a 1 1/2 hours long outside in the hot sun (mostly uncovered) that those who were not Diamond level or suite passengers had to wait in just to enter the terminal building. Was told it was due to Coast Guard inspection or something. Then after waiting inside to process embarkation paperwork, we got on the ship to find very limited food options open, including the buffet that CLOSED at 3 PM, as in completely closed! Unbelievable!! Then I was called down to the naughty room after sailing (and wondering where our luggage was??) as they supposedly saw liquids in my suitcase, and after waiting in a line of angry folks (most of which had tried to smuggle wine aboard in their suitcase!), they re-x rayed mine and admitted their mistake.

I was a tad annoyed, but realize that these things are all beyond my control, so I just ordered a glass of wine at dinner, enjoyed my cruise and didn't think twice more about it or post my displeasure. Things happen!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I was expecting, like on all other cruises, that one would be processed and allowed to board by that time.

I just did back-to-back on Ruby.

Boarding on 03-November was a nightmare. Even elite were not

allowed into the building until after 12:30. Hundreds and hundreds

of people lined up outside terminal at berth 21.

We finally got inside and made it to dining room for lunch at

13:29:59 -- and they let us in!

Boarding on 08-November -- no problem. We walked right through

security, check-in, had our picture taken, and were seated in the

suite / elite lounge. I didn't pay close attention, but we waiting

about 10 minutes, and boarded around noon.

On 03-November, there were posts at 10:00 here on cruise critic from

people who were waiting to disembark.

When there are no earlier delays, everything is great.

But, this is pretty much like flying -- when there are delays earlier

in the day, their effect continues to be felt throughout the day.

The only way to avoid this is charter a private yacht -- that way,

the captain and crew are waiting just for you -- and as soon as

you arrive you board.

I guess if you've never been on princess before, and 03-November is your

boarding experience, you hate princess.

If you board on 08-November, you have a good impression of princess.

That's life...

Edited by pablo222

We may have been on the same trip. We just got off the Ruby on Saturday. We arrived at the port at 1030. Very few people there and checkin was fast. We were seated in center seating and would go after all the platinums, elites and weddings. I was worried because it look like a cluster and after getting there early, we were going to be bottlenecked and take forever. Absolutely not true. Princess controlled the crowd and the couple of folks trying to slip the line. It was excellent and we were eating before noon. Our best embarkation so far. Getting off was even faster. We originally were given a Gold 11 (1120am) time but went down and exchanged for a self assist 750. So smooth and through Customs and outside by 810. Wish they all were like that.

We too were in that line. Arrived at 1:00 pm and waited and waited. Being platinum had little advantage. Two comments.

1) one bottle of wine per per limit means that if you put two bottles in a single carry on bag for the couple sharing a stateroom then you are forced to go to the security and explain that the other person had none. Single bottle of wine per carryon breeze thru.

2) The cruise lines have a definite interest in making the cruise experience as pleasant as possible. In my humble opinion starting your cruise expierence off in such a negatve way(waiting for hours) is simply bad for business. They should lobby loud for appropriate staff to cover border security. To simply blame local officials for the delays in not good enough. A first time cruiser might be so turned off it might be there first and last cruise.

sorry you had problems. Port everglades is always slower it seems. Miami is great, in my experience, with speed and everything. perhaps port everglades is more of a cargo terminal?

as far as alcohol I will assume the reason is that bringing onboard hurts their sales

honestly the way I see it this is one of the hiccups that goes along with Princess, which I'm fine to bear with and are truly minor compared to the champagne waterfall, and other wonderful things that can't be found on Royal or another line

One thing of importance that no one mentioned. On most cruise lines regardless of waiting time to get on the ship, you don't have your cabin ready and waiting for you. Therefore you have to lug your carryon bags all over the ship including to lunch. With Princess when you board your room is ready.

whenever boarding large ships I realize that there is a large number who want to get on board as fast as possible to take advantage of what ever food and experience then can cram in for their week at sea. The tempo is fierce.. hurry, hurry.

If you realize this then you can safe your self a lot of grief and by giving up a few hours on the ship and a crowded buffet madhouse. Enjoy a waterfront restaurant for lunch and enjoy the view and the calm

In departure day sleep in the night before get up and have a nice relaxed breakfast, then about 3 hours prior to the departure time say 2 pm for a 5 pm sailing take a relaxed cab to the ship and walk at a casual pace through all the checkins and directly on to the ship and to your cabin.

Skip the urge to pack in your first meal... and savor relaxation because up on deck it will be a circus of humanity... Its like you had to get your own cabin, first come first served... musical chairs at sea !!!

Getting up at 4 am driving, standing waiting, pushing, getting pushed,more waiting, standing, search for a place to sit or eat. Exhausted, frustrated, hot,

All can be bypassed if you know its coming ..and take a slow and wise approach. And what do you give up.... maybe 70 to 120 min of ship time and some cold cuts with macroni salad.....

Dosent seem like it would be worth it?