sundries and other items in ship stores

peggybroker

Hi, everyone. ..

Although I assume the prices will be substantially higher than on land, sometimes I have been known to forget something, such as a hair brush, dental floss, waterwings:eek:.. whatever.

What kinds of things can be found can be found in the "general store" (if any) as opposed to the gift shop, and just how bad is the markup? And, if some things are not found (hair dye, breath mints, qtips :rolleyes: how hard is it to find items on land on a world tour? I know, better to bring with but jic :confused:

Thanks for the replies from all you super experienced cruisers!

Peggy

Hi, everyone. ..

Although I assume the prices will be substantially higher than on land, sometimes I have been known to forget something, such as a hair brush, dental floss, waterwings:eek:.. whatever.

What kinds of things can be found can be found in the "general store" (if any) as opposed to the gift shop, and just how bad is the markup? And, if some things are not found (hair dye, breath mints, qtips :rolleyes: how hard is it to find items on land on a world tour? I know, better to bring with but jic :confused:

Thanks for the replies from all you super experienced cruisers!

Peggy

It wll vary a little from ship to ship, but you can get pretty much everything you are likely to NEED, I've certainly seen all the things you name on even the small ships except I'm not sure about the hair dye.

The mark up will be ridiculous. But considering the cost of storage [including the cost of lost space] and that they have a captive audience that's no surprise.

On a world cruise you'll get anything you need within one port, you might have to find someone who talks English to find the right shop, but it'll vbe there.

Thanks for the fast response! I was being a little silly, homaybe ping for a hint of what was available.... only 1 brand of shampoo/conditioner, toothbrushes? Things like that. Thanks

Peggy

Well again a lot will depend on which ship, I usually sail on small ones so the range is a lot more limited, maybe 2 shampoo brands one brand of toothbrush but a couple of grades of firmness. Do you have a ship in mind or booked.

Obviously the ones with 600 PAX will have less of a range than the 4,000+ ers.

Well, guess I'm not the only insomniac!!! Thanks, Keith. I know your advice was to bring it all with, and that is why my family considers me the walking Walgreens, but you never know. Also, on a world cruise it is probable that some ports may lack crating goodies, or the sea days stretch on :)

Experienced cruisers bring a little pharmacy with them and it varies according to your issues and experience. For example, you may find one brand of anti-diarrheal medication in the shop, but it may not be the most effective and even those stores have hours.

We just came off a ship a week ago where DH needed something for a cough from a newly acquired cold. A bottle of Dayquil was $17.99, so that gives you an idea of the mark-up.

The shops don't have a great variety and for what you do buy, you will certainly pay a premium. It pays to come prepared with a zip-lock of OTC meds and extra travel-size containers of branded shampoo and conditioner from home.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Thanks for the fast response! I was being a little silly, homaybe ping for a hint of what was available.... only 1 brand of shampoo/conditioner, toothbrushes? Things like that. Thanks

Peggy

Which cruise line? Can make a difference.

Hair dye? Why on earth would you need hair dye on a cruise? Get it done a day or two before you leave, and then you are good for 4-6 weeks. If the dye isn't lasting that long, either find a new hair dresser or a new shampoo, as one of them is off. If you'll be gone longer than that, just have the ship board salon do it.

Not to mention you'd destroy their white or cream colored towels while dying your hair on a ship--not a nice thing to do.

Keep in mind that in most ports there will be a grocery or discount department store where you can buy most anything you'll need. We were able to find hair spray in Rome; cough drops in Montenegro; nose spray and decongestant in Croatia; wine, cheese, bread, dog food for the strays, and plastic spoons in Tahiti; packing tape in Oia; the list goes on.

Edited by ducklite

Since you are already planning to forget stuff how about using this time to make a list of all those items and then just pack them! ;)

LOL! You do make a good point.

I usually start my list for any new or longer travel adventure a few months in advance. I've already got a small tote bag set aside with a few things I don't want to forget (or accidentally use!) in it for the two weeks we are spending land based in Europe next spring.

I'm the type who practically throws everything from our medicine cabinet into a ziplock bag into my carryon. My hubby knows better to laugh at this after needing some Sudafed which I did have.

On my last cruise, I needed some bandaids after going through the few I'd brought (I really thought I packed more, but maybe I got distracted). My toenail was a mess from a pair of shoes that weren't really fitting that well (switched to wearing casual sandals the rest of the cruise, including on formal nights) and I finally went to the ship's store and bought a package of five that was about $1. When we reached our first port (on the 5th day of a two week cruise), I did replenish bandaids and Sudafed (I had a stubborn sinus headache).

Because the ship's stores are overpriced and have a limited variety, I do try to be careful to pack what we may need.

Hair dye? Why on earth would you need hair dye on a cruise? Get it done a day or two before you leave, and then you are good for 4-6 weeks. If the dye isn't lasting that long, either find a new hair dresser or a new shampoo, as one of them is off. If you'll be gone longer than that, just have the ship board salon do it.

Not to mention you'd destroy their white or cream colored towels while dying your hair on a ship--not a nice thing to do.

Keep in mind that in most ports there will be a grocery or discount department store where you can buy most anything you'll need. We were able to find hair spray in Rome; cough drops in Montenegro; nose spray and decongestant in Croatia; wine, cheese, bread, dog food for the strays, and plastic spoons in Tahiti; packing tape in Oia; the list goes on.

Because the OP is going on a world cruise, of anywhere from 90-120+ days. OP. I would ask on the Crystal board what items are provided in the cabin, and what you can buy. EM

Ships' shops generally carry pretty much everything you might NEED. But if particular brand, or flavor, say, of mouthwash is truly important to you, you should make a careful list and pack accordingly.

Necessities are generally available, but selection ranges from somewhat to extremely limited. For example, on a recent cruise, mint Listerine was the only mouthwash available.

Because the OP is going on a world cruise, of anywhere from 90-120+ days. OP. I would ask on the Crystal board what items are provided in the cabin, and what you can buy. EM

I missed the length of the cruise. I would still not dye my hair in a cruise ship, what a mess you'd make of the towels. I would plan in a couple visits to the in board salon.