Can I pack an essential oil diffuser?

Jessie2013

My family uses essential oils on a daily basis. At night, we diffuse oils for my son's sleep & he relies on them quite a bit.

A diffuser is something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RP6GGC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687542&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00L9NR672&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1770M7WM4KCBKZAQ51QY

Will I be allowed to bring one onto the ship & use in my room? Thank you :)

I don't no why not! You can always put it away during the day and no one would even question it. The only thing you will need to be careful if you are flying about the size of the oils if you put it in a carry on bag. If packed in checked they may check your suitcase. We just flew to Spain and had a 16 oz. bottle of honey (we use for medicinal reasons) we had it all bubble wrapped and in a ziploc bag for fear it would leak and they opened it all up somewhere along the way.

I would be wary of anything that emits an odour from a perspective of the attendants saying something. I would also expect security to pick it up and hold it for you thinking that it does have a heating element. It is not that it is dangerous but that it may be perceived as such.

For the record before taking honey into certain countries you should check the quarantine laws as in some countries is against the law and they have dogs checking for it and other foodstuffs. It is safer to buy honey when you reach your destination and then dispose of it before leaving the ship. Of the 16 different ports on 5 cruises that I have been on it would have been breaking quarantine laws if I took honey off the ship in all bar one of the ports.

After reading through the prohibited list carefully, I noticed that incense is prohibited. Not that they are the same thing, but their descriptions are fairly similar. I'll also be bringing essential oils on our cruise in January, but I'm planning on ordering a less conspicuous travel defuser that looks more like a Glade plug in air freshener now instead of my home diffuser.

Thanks for bringing this question up! I never would've thought twice about bringing them or a diffuser on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After reading through the prohibited list carefully, I noticed that incense is prohibited. Not that they are the same thing, but their descriptions are fairly similar. I'll also be bringing essential oils on our cruise in January, but I'm planning on ordering a less conspicuous travel defuser that looks more like a Glade plug in air freshener now instead of my home diffuser.

Thanks for bringing this question up! I never would've thought twice about bringing them or a diffuser on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Incense has to be lit with a match and therefore is prohibited, because burning anything in a cabin is prohibited. The same reason candles are prohibited. Now, if the product only requires the lid to be opened so the aromatic smell emanates from the contents of the jar and requires nothing else to be done, I imagine it would be allowed. Similar to the Glade room fresheners that you turn to open and sit on a counter or shelf.

But anything that emits smoke of some type will not be allowed.

We carry oils in a first aid kit when travelling. I would bring the oils no problem. The diffuser, if it is like ours, is a cold air diffuser, which doesn't generate heat. I would bring it, use it, and put it away during the day. The scents that come from the oils are NOTHING like incense and pose no danger or inconvenience to any passenger. The people in the next room would not be able to smell it, and I think it is unlikely that the steward would notice it during the day if you are diffusing at night. It is less significant than the smell of a strong perfume, IMO.

(I always have them on hand, but have not diffused when away from home, we just use a spritzer, and use them on the feet etc as well when needed)

If your child needs it for a medical condition, could you consider getting your doctor to write a note saying you need it, just in case?

Incense has to be lit with a match and therefore is prohibited, because burning anything in a cabin is prohibited. The same reason candles are prohibited. Now, if the product only requires the lid to be opened so the aromatic smell emanates from the contents of the jar and requires nothing else to be done, I imagine it would be allowed. Similar to the Glade room fresheners that you turn to open and sit on a counter or shelf.

But anything that emits smoke of some type will not be allowed.

The type of diffuser that the OP is wanting to use is NOT the same as Glad Room Freshener that does not require heat. The example shown in the OP's contains a battery which is used to dispense a mist into the air and also provides a low grade heat source to improve the fragrance throw. Being that these types of diffusers can leak and the mechanism contains a battery that can ignite the oil it's reasonable to expect that such an item will be prohibited and confiscated by security.

For the record I worked in the home fragrance industry and though items such as these are marketed to be safe by the Consumer Safety Product Commission there are still a record of home fires each year caused by such items.

Thanks, everyone. It's probably best described as a very tiny humidifier. There is some element of mist, although minimal, and there's no way anyone in another room would notice the scent. I'll look into purchasing a travel/plug in type one, which will probably be subjected to less scrutiny. Thanks!

@tomotasauce- Once we got it on the ship we didn't take it off, but I really never thought about it being a problem, It was just natural honey, but I'll have to keep that in mind for future travel.

Worst scenario is that security will take it and give it back on your last night, that is what Celebrity did with my surge protector.

Worst scenario is that security will take it and give it back on your last night, that is what Celebrity did with my surge protector.

Oh, I didn't realize they returned whatever they confiscated! I'm willing to take the chance then, I thought I'd be out the diffuser entirely! Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

So, Jessie2013 - what happened with the diffuser? Were you able to use it in the cruise? Did they confiscate it? What kind did you take, and what cruise company? I am now thinking about taking mine and need more information. Thanks.

So, Jessie2013 - what happened with the diffuser? Were you able to use it in the cruise? Did they confiscate it? What kind did you take, and what cruise company? I am now thinking about taking mine and need more information. Thanks.

I decided not to bring mine. I only have large ones (I have one YL one, 2 Stadler Aroma diffusers and a Roaily Oily one) and I didn't want to deal with it. I did pack my oils and I also packed several spray (glass) bottles of essential oil sprays so I could sanitize the room and then spray lavender before bed. We slept with the balcony door open every night, I think the sea air was more healing and enjoyable than the diffuser would have been ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 years later...
Lol. How do people find a 2 year old thread? I have trouble finding a 3 hour old thread.

The use the "search" feature, which many times they are admonished to use by other posters.