Dynamic Dining question

Help please.:):):) I did a search on this forum but received some pretty random threads. I haven't sailed Royal Caribbean any many years. I'm thinking about sailing the Oasis or Allure. I keep seeing comments about dynamic dining. Is this something new that is being rolled out and, if so, what is it?

It does look like there are a lot of Specialty restaurants on these ships. I love specialty restaurants but wonder how much I would have to budget to do a couple of them.

On our Allure sailing last April, we still had the traditional option and we chose early seating.

Not sure if they have implemented Dynamic Dining since then? I know for our upcoming Anthem cruise in 2015, it is the new Dynamic format. Not sure what to expect............

Help please.:):):) I did a search on this forum but received some pretty random threads. I haven't sailed Royal Caribbean any many years. I'm thinking about sailing the Oasis or Allure. I keep seeing comments about dynamic dining. Is this something new that is being rolled out and, if so, what is it?

It does look like there are a lot of Specialty restaurants on these ships. I love specialty restaurants but wonder how much I would have to budget to do a couple of them.

The new concept is pretty much having the choice of a dinning venue each night. To me the free options seem like eating in a specialty restaurant but with out the cost.

Basically dynamic dining means there's no MDR. There are a few free dining rooms and then some extra cost ones. If you stick to the free ones, you will need to repeat restaurants because depending on the ship there are only a few free ones and one of the free ones is for suites only. The menus in these restaurants are the same every night and there is one formal restaurant and the rest are casual, so no shipwide formal night.

Also, because they want you to eat in different restaurants, you need to reserve specific times for each night or go without a reservation and wait, there's no way to have a regular early or late seating time (although you could try to book the same time each night) and no way to have the same waiters.

Right now its only on Quantum but there are rollout dates for some of the larger ships and rumors about others.

Basically dynamic dining means there's no MDR. There are a few free dining rooms and then some extra cost ones. If you stick to the free ones, you will need to repeat restaurants because depending on the ship there are only a few free ones and one of the free ones is for suites only. The menus in these restaurants are the same every night and there is one formal restaurant and the rest are casual, so no shipwide formal night.

Also, because they want you to eat in different restaurants, you need to reserve specific times for each night or go without a reservation and wait, there's no way to have a regular early or late seating time (although you could try to book the same time each night) and no way to have the same waiters.

Right now its only on Quantum but there are rollout dates for some of the larger ships and rumors about others.

They told us main dining rooms will all be free. There are 3 levels with currently the same menu. When it changes over, each level will have a different theme. They will each have 2 differen menus that will alternate each day. So that really gives you 6 differnt menus.

There will also be other free food venues onboard.....you will not starve :O)

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=1&snav=6

That link will take you to RCI webpage on Quantum. I know you'll be on AOS or OOS but dynamic dining is similar on those ships. I believe AOS/OOS will only have the Grande, Country Kitchens, American Icon, and Chic. The informaion at the link will get you started on Dynamic Dining.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=1&snav=6

That link will take you to RCI webpage on Quantum. I know you'll be on AOS or OOS but dynamic dining is similar on those ships. I believe AOS/OOS will only have the Grande, Country Kitchens, American Icon, and Chic. The informaion at the link will get you started on Dynamic Dining.

Oasis will have American Icon (deck 3), Grande (deck 4), and Silk (deck 5) as the included Dynamic Dining venues, along with Coastal Kitchen for suite guests and Pinnacle members. Chic is not on Oasis.

The amount of specialty restaurants is only changing by one with Wonderland being added. There are still all the same included venues such as Park Cafe, Wipe Out Cafe, Windjammer buffet, etc...

Oasis will have American Icon (deck 3), Grande (deck 4), and Silk (deck 5) as the included Dynamic Dining venues, along with Coastal Kitchen for suite guests and Pinnacle members. Chic is not on Oasis.

The amount of specialty restaurants is only changing by one with Wonderland being added. There are still all the same included venues such as Park Cafe, Wipe Out Cafe, Windjammer buffet, etc...

When we started our Oasis cruise last week, Coastal Kitchen was only open for dinner. By Tuesday, they started breakfast & lunch.There is only one set menu for each meal, it does not change thought the week. You did not need reservations then because it was brand new & not enough people knew about it.

We were sitting on tnhe lounge side having a drink during the lunch time. The man in charge of Coastal kitchen came over to our table & asked us to got over there for lunch.

I am NOT saying their menu is not good, only that it is a bit 'yuppie'(for lack of a better word) for us. And I am speaking for all 3 meals. We are older & prefer more common type food.

I nicely tried to explain that to him & that I really like the main dining room.

He said he would make whatever we wanted...just try it out. I felt bad so we went over there. We had the chicken sandwich with plain mayo.

They put out an appetizer that I could not identify. I think it was shreads of pita bread with 2 differt things to put on it. We guessed one was hummus & could not even guess at the other. I gave it all a try....& left it.

Again I am not saying that it was not good & am sure some people would have loved it.

I do not feel comfortable going to a restaurant where I would constantly have to ask for substitions even if they said OK.

We probably will not eat there again.

When we started our Oasis cruise last week, Coastal Kitchen was only open for dinner. By Tuesday, they started breakfast & lunch.There is only one set menu for each meal, it does not change thought the week. You did not need reservations then because it was brand new & not enough people knew about it.

We were sitting on tnhe lounge side having a drink during the lunch time. The man in charge of Coastal kitchen came over to our table & asked us to got over there for lunch.

I am NOT saying their menu is not good, only that it is a bit 'yuppie'(for lack of a better word) for us. And I am speaking for all 3 meals. We are older & prefer more common type food.

I nicely tried to explain that to him & that I really like the main dining room.

He said he would make whatever we wanted...just try it out. I felt bad so we went over there. We had the chicken sandwich with plain mayo.

They put out an appetizer that I could not identify. I think it was shreads of pita bread with 2 differt things to put on it. We guessed one was hummus & could not even guess at the other. I gave it all a try....& left it.

Again I am not saying that it was not good & am sure some people would have loved it.

I do not feel comfortable going to a restaurant where I would constantly have to ask for substitions even if they said OK.

We probably will not eat there again.

No big deal. Not all menus in all venues appeal to all diners, even now with the "normal" dining room menus, plenty of things each night that don't appeal. At least with DD, there are several dining room options included rather than the one set menu. There are some twenty plus other places to eat on Oasis. No one will go hungry.

No big deal. Not all menus in all venues appeal to all diners, even now with the "normal" dining room menus, plenty of things each night that don't appeal. At least with DD, there are several dining room options included rather than the one set menu. There are some twenty plus other places to eat on Oasis. No one will go hungry.

Coastal Kitchen has free cocktails & wine :O)

Totally agree!!!

Very plain eaters and I won't hesitate to substitute and have things left off. Do it all the time now with their menu.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I checked out the website as well. Very interesting dining concept. I noticed there will not be formal nights on the ships the incorporate Dynamic Dining. Does this mean/sound like the freestyle cruising concept on NCL?

I would be interested in hearing anyone's take on why RCI is moving in this direction.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I checked out the website as well. Very interesting dining concept. I noticed there will not be formal nights on the ships the incorporate Dynamic Dining. Does this mean/sound like the freestyle cruising concept on NCL?

I would be interested in hearing anyone's take on why RCI is moving in this direction.

Yes, similar to NCLs freestyle cruising. As for why RCI is moving to this concept, probably because the demand is there, especially with the much wider world and various cultures now crying more frequently. Obviously the cruise line would not be doing it if there was no demand. Cruising has changed many times over the years, in response to ever changing demographics and expectations, this is yet another change.

Grande Restaurant is the formal dining venue, every night is formal night there.

I think RCI is moving in this direction because people want more choices. I was getting bored with the same menu in the MDR and I am really looking forward to trying the new restaurants.

Since when? They didn't on the Quantum 3 night sailing. I even had to pay for a soda.

Coastal Kitchen actually shares the same space as the Suite Lounge. It takes over the far right side with the bar in middle of the 2 venues. All drinks there are free from 11am to11pm....and incredibly.....you can take your drink with you when you leave....unlike the Diamond lounge.

With "Dynamic Dining, there certainly are more "Pay for" restaurants than in the past. Each will be between $30-50 pp, so budget for that...some might be less...but that's an average.

And there are certainly more complimentary restaurants to choose from, each with menus that may appeal to a certain portion of the passenger list. Each of those complimentary restaurants is so elegant that the dining experience may exceed the experience currently offered in the main dining rooms on RCI's other ships. I can see that the ambience of those rooms might so charm guests that there will be less motivation to pay for the dining experience in what you refer to as "pay for" restaurants. All in all, there are many more dining options on Q class ships (both complimentary and "for a fee") to choose from.:) At present most ships offer only the main dining room and three or four (fee) restaurants (Chops, Portofino or Giovanni's Table, Izumi and Rita's Cantina, while Quantum offers many more options.

[/b]

Totally agree!!!

Very plain eaters and I won't hesitate to substitute and have things left off. Do it all the time now with their menu.

Coastal Kitchen was probably not the best venue for us "very plain eaters", although I had a good meal there. Much better choices would have been Grande, Chic, or American Icon Grille. Beef tenderloin, rack of lamb, lamb shank, and turkey would satisfy many "plcky" eaters IMO.:)

Coastal Kitchen was probably not the best venue for us "very plain eaters", although I had a good meal there. Much better choices would have been Grande, Chic, or American Icon Grille. Beef tenderloin, rack of lamb, lamb shank, and turkey would satisfy many "plcky" eaters IMO.:)

Thanks!

OK, those sound good to us!!:)

Personally we are thinking this is not the way we wish to cruise. That said we are sailing the Quantum Dec 20th Holiday cruise Dynamic Dining. We have reserved several restaurants on line not that great an experience since you have to check out like you are buying something at Home Depot. You also have to pay in advance, I have already spent $120 to eat on a ship I have yet to even see. Not happy about that either but reservations for restaurants and entertainment is urged.

So whole thing is kind of like planning a vacation day by day on land and planning to have enough money. Also there are room service charges for " hot " items, 3.95 per item breakfast, 4.95 per item lunch. Johnny Rockets now alacarte. No cover now but 2.5o burger, $1.50 fries etc. No more table service order and pick up self serve. Yep just like being at home.

Yet we will sail and try it and see what happens. We stopped sailing NCL a couple years back, anytime only dining was not for us. Besides found not anytime we wanted to eat, was more anytime they had available staff and tables. Dynamic Dining takes it a step further, Dining venues have non-changing menus. Makes it near impossible to have dinner in same restaurant more than 2 or 3 times so you must change restaurants.

Also impacts shows, now you get to coordinate that with all the dining options. Though still complimentary, want to bet how long before extra charge entertainment starts?

Not happy but hoping I am wrong and like Dynamic Dining.

WHY are they heading this way?Simple, higher profit margins for one. Trying to make ship family destination with all the oh and ah stuff like bumper cars and NorthStar etc. Has to be paid for somehow. For us it goes against everything we love about cruising knowing in advance where we are eating and going to be entertained without all the fuss and muss. Now appears will be just like traveling on land someday. Then why am I on a rocking ship that I can't get off of if I am unhappy?

As a guy honestly I just don't want to go through all that " where are we going to eat tonight, what are we going to eat tonight, can we afford to eat tonight? " But we shall see...

George in NY - sailing Quantum DD 12/20

Grande Restaurant is the formal dining venue, every night is formal night there.

I think RCI is moving in this direction because people want more choices. I was getting bored with the same menu in the MDR and I am really looking forward to trying the new restaurants.

Not a problem, just remember bring money and be ready to wait in line. Also remember to tip after already tipping. It's all about less staff, higher margin. As a cruiseaholic I hate it, as a stock holder I wait the numbers. Entertainment is next. On New Quantum already a reservation system set up with dining system, reservations preferred and recommend pre-cruise.

Ala-carte menus sooner than later, already on room service, Johnny Rockets and one of the restaurants. That correct you now have 3.95 and 4.95 per item room service menus! Basically continental still complimentary. Oh you want fresh squeezed OJ on Quantum $4

The other facet known in the industry is called " ship in a ship. " That is where those that pay the price go 1st class, those that do not go steerage. Okay not steerage, but pay alacarte. You see it already, I admit I like ship in ship because I am a suite dweller. MY seat at show is reserved, MY seat at pool is reserved. When I go to buffet I have a little door into a special seating area complete with waiter to get me coffee etc. I use to enjoy that everyone was treated the same, but I admit that nice not to have to deal with the little people.

OKAY tongue in cheek though all I mention is true.

George in NY - doing Dynamic Dining 12/20 holiday cruise on Quantum

AHOY SHIPMATES,

Whatever happened to going on a cruise, getting good food (all you can eat) and having a great menu with LOT'SA CHOICES and a variety of deserts all for the price you paid to book the cruise ???????

Easy question, easier answer, corporations, lack of competitions, entitled young. Geez you are probably so old that you remember when airline gave you a blanket of you were cold. Now first round by flight attendants is for paid items, blankets, pillows, head sets, box lunch. Pay for extra 2 " legroom, pay for get on board early enough to have overhead space etc. jet blue adding seats, doing three tiered pay for seat luggage rates while emailing me explaining that this is somehow a SERVICE they are doing for me.

I could go on but I have to get back to making my reservations to eat and see shows on Quantum sailing in December. Have already spent over an hour with wife trying to juggle when and where we will be eating. Still have three days to PLAN. This is all for us to make OUR life and cruise better, they said so would they lie?

George in NY - remember a beer in Yankee stadium is $14 a hotdog with a packet of mustard $11 WHY, because $%#(*& are three deep to pay it!!! Called capitalism.

Edited by Georgeny