Has anyone upgraded from Classic to Premium and regretted it?

tbmrt

Question: on the Reflection for 7 days. Currently I am getting the Classic Package with the 123Go. What is the price diff to upgrade to the Premium Package. Also I have the Visa CC that states I get a 10% off the Premium package.

Many Thanks

If you have the Classic package and order something more expensive, then yes, you are billed for the entire amount + gratuity.

If you have the Premium package, then anything above and beyond the dollar limit, you pay the difference + gratuity.

Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification.

Just curious....Has anyone upgraded to Premium from Classic and found that they could have done just fine with the Classic package?

We just got off the Equinox on Monday.

My husband upgraded on the last 4 days of the trip (last day to upgrade was on St Marteen date which was 3 days before trip ending).

While he enjoyed the premium package, he didn't think it was worth the upgrade (he was Ok with the selection on classic) and would had regretted it if he upgraded on day 1. Maybe do what he did and upgrade in the last few days (make sure you know when is the cut out date) and test it out.

Also, I know people say you get better wines but unless you want to pay the difference in wine prices by the glasas, then the selection is not that different from the classic IMO.

Edited by Sandy1975

Dont know if the word Regret applies,,,,,,,,,,but I upgraded on the first day and after 3 days decided I wasnt getting value for money as I found the wines on the classic package were fine so downgraded again

You are not allowed to downgrade (meaning stop the package and get your money back from unused days). Do you mean you just stopped using the brands under the premium package?

If we have to choose 123 we pick OBC. We are Elite + so coffee drinks are free. We go to the Elite happy Hour and have a few cocktails. At dinner we use our OBC for wine. We also bring 2 bottle of good wine to enjoy in our room. I can`t see paying for drink package as we would not drink any more. Cheers, Heather

On an S class ship with the Molecular Bar it is pretty much a no brainer to upgrade to the premium package. Just one Molecular Bar drink a day and the upgrade cost is covered. On M class ships without the Molecular I would have to think about the value proposition of the upgrade cost a bit more, but likely wouldn't do it.

I don't really understand why anyone would upgrade before the cruise. As many posts have indicated, the included alcohols seem to vary by ship, by cruise, and perhaps even by bartender. The wines in both packages are reputedly barely OK. The only real difference is that if you exceed the limit of the package you have, you pay only the difference with the premium package....if you have the classic package, you pay the full amount of the drink (cheap marketing trick, IMHO).

The cost to upgrade is exactly the same on board as in advance, if you upgrade on board, you can use your OBC to pay for the upgrade (can't do this if you buy in advance...you pay when you buy), and you can upgrade from any bartender...you don't even have to go to guest services.

To me, waiting really makes by far the most sense.

I don't really understand why anyone would upgrade before the cruise. As many posts have indicated, the included alcohols seem to vary by ship, by cruise, and perhaps even by bartender. The wines in both packages are reputedly barely OK. The only real difference is that if you exceed the limit of the package you have, you pay only the difference with the premium package....if you have the classic package, you pay the full amount of the drink (cheap marketing trick, IMHO).

The cost to upgrade is exactly the same on board as in advance, if you upgrade on board, you can use your OBC to pay for the upgrade (can't do this if you buy in advance...you pay when you buy), and you can upgrade from any bartender...you don't even have to go to guest services.

Agreed.

Not us..The little bit it cost us to upgrade made a world of difference as to what was available .:D:D:D

Completely agree! For people who drink very little, upgrading doesn't make sense. For those of us who want espresso drinks, fresh squeezed juices, lots of bottled water every day, and the higher quality spirits, it doesn't make sense not to. :-)

On an S class ship with the Molecular Bar it is pretty much a no brainer to upgrade to the premium package. Just one Molecular Bar drink a day and the upgrade cost is covered. On M class ships without the Molecular I would have to think about the value proposition of the upgrade cost a bit more, but likely wouldn't do it.

It also covers an Espresso Martini a day:D It's worth it to me:)

Completely agree! For people who drink very little, upgrading doesn't make sense. For those of us who want espresso drinks, fresh squeezed juices, lots of bottled water every day, and the higher quality spirits, it doesn't make sense not to. :-)

As with everything else, it depends on your individual situation.

Aqua class gets two bottles of water a day and fresh squeezed juice as part of Blu. Elite's get free expresso coffee drinks at the captain's club breakfast as well as free mimosas, screwdrivers and bloody marys. elite plus gets free expresso any time, anywhere. zenith gets anything they want :)

I agree that if you enjoy the higher quality (of course quality is subjective (cost doesn't always equate to quality) spirits, then upgrading makes sense for just $11.50 a day...but you might find that that higher quality spirit is, for whatever reason, included in your classic package.

Even if you have a good reason to believe you want to upgrade, why do it in advance? The only reason I can come up with is if you are playing the exchange rate game.

Edited by ghstudio

Some of us, like myself, like to know that most everything is taken care of before we get on the ship. I pay all my gratuities and drink package stuff up front and book shore excursion and any specialty dining on board. At the end of the cruise I will know approximately what I've spent.

Because of OBC and a free specialty dining for staying in a suite I expect my bill to be less than $100.

Plus it's nice to get a 4 or 5 page statement with a bunch of $0.00 on it.

I am a scotch drinker, so I always upgrade to get the better single malts and

johnnie walker black rather than red.

I also like the better choices of premium bourbon and using the better gins in the martinis.

Malcolm

I am a scotch drinker, so I always upgrade to get the better single malts and

johnnie walker black rather than red.

I also like the better choices of premium bourbon and using the better gins in the martinis.

Malcolm

A DOUBLE AMEN :cool::D

All available with the Classic Package with "higher quality spirits" subject to personal taste. Paying more does not always equate to better quality.

With the free classic drink package, upgrading to premium is only $11.50 per day. We love the Molecular Bar, so one drink pays for the upgrade. As previously mentioned, I also like my single malt scotch and they aren't included in the classic package. Heck, some aren't covered by the premium either, but I only have to pay the difference.

We upgrade before sailing because we know we're going to and like not having a sticker placed on our cards. We prefer to keep them clean! Yes, silly, but true! :D

If you drink cocktails that are mostly straight alcohol like Manhattans and Martini's or you call your brand when ordering a mixed drink like a screw driver or Bloody Mary than I think it is worth the extra cost. We drink Grey Goose martini's and I know that is not on the classic package. If we up grade we also call our brand for mixed drinks. If you just order a screwdriver you will get Smirnoff or Absolute.

All available with the Classic Package with "higher quality spirits" subject to personal taste. Paying more does not always equate to better quality.

That is true. I can tell the difference from the taste of the well vodka used for the classic package versus what I consider the better vodka I get with the premium package. Ditto gin. If it doesn't make a difference to you, by all means save the money!

Regarding the free coffees and juices and drinks at the elite breakfast and cocktail hour, not all of us who are elite attend those functions or don't find the timing to work for us. We just prefer the greater flexibility that the premium package allows. Different strokes and all that!

That is true. I can tell the difference from the taste of the well vodka used for the classic package versus what I consider the better vodka I get with the premium package. Ditto gin. If it doesn't make a difference to you, by all means save the money!

Regarding the free coffees and juices and drinks at the elite breakfast and cocktail hour, not all of us who are elite attend those functions or don't find the timing to work for us. We just prefer the greater flexibility that the premium package allows. Different strokes and all that!

The beers and liquors offered at the Elite functions are very limited.:cool:

I did enjoy the sommelier in Blu bringing me whatever during dinner after he knew my preferences.

But beyond that I cannot see the value for me, especially since we won't be AQ this time.

We just returned from the 10 day cruise on Equinox and originally both of us had the Classic package. I wanted to see what wines were available and after one night I upgraded myself only to the Premium package as the wines offered were much better. My husband was happy with the Classic package as they had Corona beer, which my husband was happy with. Only thing, they ran out of limes on the next to last day of the cruise. They kept trying to put a lemon in the Corona and my husband had to keep fishing them out. I enjoyed the wine selections and also the Bailey's with coffee after dinner. I did not try the more expensive wines and just stuck with what was available with the Premium package. They were all good.