Cell phone use - south america

DrJW

We are getting conflicting information from AT&T re cell use abroad. We have free wi fi and internet use on board O ship as well as hotels we are staying at pre and post cruise..Also I have read if one goes close to internet cafes in cities one can also access free text and emails on personal phone.

Friends told me that if we turn off CELLULAR DATA on SETTINGS on our phones then when are not close to wi fi towers we will not get any pop ups or other notices and have to pay for them.

THOROUGHLY CONFUSED! AT&T tells me that this is no longer true as of 11/19. We now need to get a PASSPORT INTERNATIONAL package for $30...which allows unlimited texts coming and going..and 120 megabytes..[whatever that means..not computer savy :confused:] \They say if we dont get this package that even with free wi fi abroad we still will have to pay!

Now I don't know if I should buy the additional plan or is this just a way for phone company to make $$$. I was under the impression that we could access unlimited email..receive and send with the free wi fi that we have been offered by O and hotels... ATT also advised with this plan ..each phone call is 50cents a minute....

Would appreciate any and all counsel you could provide!

Thank you very much!

We are getting conflicting information from AT&T re cell use abroad. We have free wi fi and internet use on board O ship as well as hotels we are staying at pre and post cruise..Also I have read if one goes close to internet cafes in cities one can also access free text and emails on personal phone.

Friends told me that if we turn off CELLULAR DATA on SETTINGS on our phones then when are not close to wi fi towers we will not get any pop ups or other notices and have to pay for them.

THOROUGHLY CONFUSED! AT&T tells me that this is no longer true as of 11/19. We now need to get a PASSPORT INTERNATIONAL package for $30...which allows unlimited texts coming and going..and 120 megabytes..[whatever that means..not computer savy :confused:] \They say if we dont get this package that even with free wi fi abroad we still will have to pay!

Now I don't know if I should buy the additional plan or is this just a way for phone company to make $$$. I was under the impression that we could access unlimited email..receive and send with the free wi fi that we have been offered by O and hotels... ATT also advised with this plan ..each phone call is 50cents a minute....

Would appreciate any and all counsel you could provide!

Thank you very much!

I guess why don't you just text with the wifi.......You do not need any plan to text as long as you have wifi on the ship...........who needs to talk on the phone when they are on vacation.

Edited by Merriem

.. That's why I'm confused !!

I assumed that i could text for free as long as I had free wi fi connection. ATT said that in foreign countries that no longer holds true. ....that we shall be charged if we don't purchase a plan.!!!

I never planned to make calls just send and receive texts. THUS MY CONFUSION!!😩😩

Texting by itself uses the 3G/4G cellular network... meaning it goes over the phone lines.

The ATT Global Passport, when used for texting over wi-fi, requires you to download an app and pay the fee for the package.

I know you said you are not techy... but if it is family that you need to text... get an app called WhatsApp. It enables cheap, unlimited texting between devices that have the app on them.

Skype can also do the same for messaging.... but WhatsApp is leaner.

I guess why don't you just text with the wifi.......You do not need any plan to text as long as you have wifi on the ship...........who needs to talk on the phone when they are on vacation.

Think both you and DrJW are both confused. Texts sent to your mobile phone number have to go thru the phone system and cannot use WIFI.

There are Apps that allow you to send and receive texts while only using wifi but, only between people who are all using the APP and not for normal phone numbers.

E-mail and web access uses wifi but, not texts. Data on or off has no effect on texts as texts do not use data just like phone calls don't. Texts and phone calls use the telephone services and that's why if you want to do texts, you either have to buy this new plan or simply turn on your phone and you can call or texts when you are in a country (not on ship) where your phone can connect to the local phone company. That said you will pay a high charge for phone calls and individual texts.

When overseas, always leave my phone in airplane mode and then turn on wifi so when available I can get e-mail and web services but, not phone calls or texts.

Hope this helps and explains things and why ATT said what they did.

I get all that and agree, but based upon the comment that the OP was not "computer savvy" and may not have used the phone much internationally, I was just providing a friendly warning for cell use in general while abroad - whether or not they ever intend to text, use email, wi-fi, etc. I know too several people who have left their data roaming on while abroad (and never even used their phones) and gotten a big surprise on their next bills.

I get all that and agree, but based upon the comment that the OP was not "computer savvy" and may not have used the phone much internationally, I was just providing a friendly warning for cell use in general while abroad - whether or not they ever intend to text, use email, wi-fi, etc. I know too several people who have left their data roaming on while abroad (and never even used their phones) and gotten a big surprise on their next bills.

Agree - a HUGE mistake to leave data roaming on by an "unsavvy computer user". Just use your free Wi-Fi and send e mails instead of texts - just as fast :D

Edited by Paulchili

Think both you and DrJW are both confused. Texts sent to your mobile phone number have to go thru the phone system and cannot use WIFI.

There are Apps that allow you to send and receive texts while only using wifi but, only between people who are all using the APP and not for normal phone numbers.

E-mail and web access uses wifi but, not texts. Data on or off has no effect on texts as texts do not use data just like phone calls don't. Texts and phone calls use the telephone services and that's why if you want to do texts, you either have to buy this new plan or simply turn on your phone and you can call or texts when you are in a country (not on ship) where your phone can connect to the local phone company. That said you will pay a high charge for phone calls and individual texts.

When overseas, always leave my phone in airplane mode and then turn on wifi so when available I can get e-mail and web services but, not phone calls or texts.

Hope this helps and explains things and why ATT said what they did.

Okay..I used my messenger in my iphone...to another iphone with wifi. No charges. I have Verizon. Maybe that is the difference. I just checked my Verizon bill and it was the same as usual.

Edited by Merriem

Texts from iPhone to iPhone when you have wifi are free.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Calling these messages from iphone to iphone texts is just confusing the issue. They are messages. Texts are sent thru the phone company and NOT via wifi.

Repeat after me, texts need a connection to the phone company, messages can be sent via wifi but, both ends of the messages need to be using the same type of phone or App in order to work.

Thanks for clarifying that RallyDave. Whether it is a text or an app, sending messages via wifi from iPhone to iPhone for free even if each person has a different service provider is great. Now I understand why it makes no difference which service provider is involved.

So if I text someone iPhone to iPhone with no wifi in the USA then I am using the phone line???

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have Verizon and I have a foreign plan that is about $30 a month. When I am on the ship I only turn the phone one once or twice a day to look at texts if there are any or if we are coming in to port and I am expected to hear from a tour guide. I have never had a high bill. Is it that $30 a month that protects me? When we are on shore I leave the phone on. If you are in Airplane Mode, you cant return the texts?

I have Verizon and I have a foreign plan that is about $30 a month. When I am on the ship I only turn the phone one once or twice a day to look at texts if there are any or if we are coming in to port and I am expected to hear from a tour guide. I have never had a high bill. Is it that $30 a month that protects me? When we are on shore I leave the phone on. If you are in Airplane Mode, you cant return the texts?

Really impossible to answer your first question regarding the "plan" as have no idea what it is. Since you turn on your phone while coming into port, you are getting the texts thru the local phone company so probably your $30 plan includes some sort of text package. The older international plans included a limited number of texts while the new ATT plan appears to be unlimited but, don't know about photo or movie texts.

Yes, on shore in Airplane Mode you can't receive or return texts

We just switched to T Mobile because of the international deal.

It sounds to good to be true but it is!

With our plan, in any participating country (and that is most of them), there is NO data roaming charge. Free internet, email and text without the need for a wifi connection. Phone calls are 20 cents a minute. What an incredible benefit.

You can also make free calls through wifi with T Mobile.

The ship is an exception (charges apply) -- but we always get the unlimited internet plan on board.

EG That means you can use Google maps as a GPS system when you are driving through Italy e.g. at no charge. Amazing. No more searching for wifi in port.

OP: if you have an iPhone or are a Comcast or similar customer that provides free text messaging, realize that you need an internet connection to send text messages through their service(s).

ATT's own messaging service is cell phone based. So, if your iphone is set to use apple's internet based text messaging, the default will be to use that service over the internet, which can cost a bunch abroad.

If you've got free ship and hotel wifi on your trip, just take note of what wifi your phone has connected to. If it's the hotel's or ship's own wifi network, you will not be charger if you are using internet based texting. However, be aware that some hotels use major carrier's services (e.g., I think hilton uses att). If it's ATT or an ATT partner (e.g., Vodaphone) and you have signed on with your regular username/password, you'll be paying international rates for internet and texting regardless of whose text system you use (e.g., apple, att, etc)

Note that some folks have mentioned T-Mobile for cheap rates. That's fine as long as you're using a T-mobile system or partner (you hope).

Bottom line: if you are required to sign on to the internet in order to send e-mail or text, you will be paying the rates (or using the free service) of whoever provided you with that username and passsword.

And even that can be problematic with all sorts of hacking threats out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We tried the 7 day free trial with TMobile but could not get a signal near our house. We could only connect on 3G by walking about 200 feet to our gate near the road, and even there only got one bar. I tried using the WiFi calling system but couldn't get it to work. We took the phone back.

We get a good Sprint signal, but our plan was too expensive, about $150 per month. Then, I discovered Republic Wireless, which runs cellular on the Sprint system, but is primarily aimed at WiFi service. Their phones are modified Motorola Moto smart phones that are specially programmed to use available WiFi signals first, and use cellular signals only as a backup. Think of it as a sort of Vonage for cell phones.

There are four plans. $40/month gets you unlimited cellular voice and text, and unlimited 4G data (data speed is choked after two consecutive months of more than 5 GB data). $30/month is the same plan, but limited to 3G data speeds. $10/month offers unlimited cellular voice and texts, but no cellular data. $5/month has no cellular service at all. All of the plans are unlimited voice, texts and data over available WiFi service. You are able to change plans twice per month at no charge, with a simple phone call. All plans are plus tax, of course.

The Moto X ($299) has 4G capabilities, the Moto G ($149) is limited to 3G, and the new Moto E ($99) has some limitations on the smart phone features. All are very capable smart phones, highly rated, especially at their price points. We have the Moto G phones, so automatically we can not use the $40/month 4G plan. We use the $10 plans almost all the time, as we are usually no more than an hour or two away from WiFi. When on a road trip in the RV, I switch up to the $30 plan to be able to use maps, Google and Gas Buddy on cellular. I switch back to the $10 plan as soon as we return home.

But, here is the best part -- Sprint has little or no international capabilities (wrong protocol). So, on an international cruise, we just switch to the $5 plan, WiFi only. As long as we can obtain a WiFi signal, we can make and receive phone calls, receive voice mail, send and receive texts, send and receive emails, surf the web --all at NO cost (other than the $5/month per phone), anywhere in the world! On our upcoming world cruise, unlimited ship internet is included at no additional cost. All we have to do is connect and everything will catch up to us. In ports, there is almost always a way to find free internet. If there is no internet service available, we just turn the phones off.

Other than the upfront cost of the phones (which our savings amortized in less than 3 months), and if you have unlimited email on the ship one way or another, this is among the least expensive and most convenient ways of keeping in touch. Even if I had some other cell service, like Verizon or ATT, I would consider setting up a Republic Wireless system just for international use.

Now, if only we could get our snail mail delivered to the ship as easily. :D;)

Edited by hondorner

You need to be very careful with ATT. I have it for my business phone and charges can skyrocket.

1. While at Sea -- the ship uses Cellular at sea as the provider. This is a JV between ATT and MTN who also provides the ship internet and TV. While at sea KEEP YOUR ROAMING OFF. Data charges are extremely expensive and run $20 per megabyte. The data is used for WEB and Mail. For Texts it uses Phone connects -- these are $0.50 per. Phone is over $2 a minute.

Data -- while on board use the WiFI to send and receive messages.

2. Port - ships shuts off the Cellular at sea service and you depend on the local countries cellular provider that has a roaming agreement with ATT.

Again -- texts are $0.50 per no mater what plan you have.

Phone -- varies depending on the country. Can be as low as 0.60 to as high as 3.99 a minute.

Data -- here is where ATT is telling you for $30 you will get 120MB of data. This again is for mail and surfing. the 120MB will last me 2 weeks of normal actively. Additional data is $30 per 120mb. ALSO this rate is valid in many countries but NOT ALL. If it not then the normal rate of $20 per 1MB applies. SO BE CAREFUL..

As someone said if you do not know -- turn the data roaming off and use the Wi-Fi...

Edited by PaulMCO