holland america captains

michaelfl

Doubt if you will get an answer as there were objections to posting of crew lists due to privacy problems per Sail7Seas post in 2013 in the other thread ..

That is still my understanding that they don't want lists published but could you post a link to the thread you reference?

Copper10-8, when available, posts individual responses when asked but he hasn't posted a whole long list due to the privacy issue.

A couple of weeks ago I asked (by e-mail) my HAL PCC who the Captain was on my upcoming trip on the Amsterdam. He replied within minutes with the answer.

Obviously, he might have not been as forthcoming with the list for the whole fleet...

That is still my understanding that they don't want lists published but could you post a link to the thread you reference?

Who is "they"?

This is still being done on many of the other cruise line forums so what makes HAL different?

Who is "they"?

This is still being done on many of the other cruise line forums so what makes HAL different?

Good question, I was wondering the same thing. Have seen several long standing threads for other cruise lines as well, with the same parent corporation.

I have been in a privacy-first kind of business for more than a decade, yet I find it very hard to think of any privacy issues when captains on cruise lines are listed. High visibility of cruise line captains is IMHO part of the job (he made a good decision this, he was so nice to do such, I see many reviews that include the captain), almost similar to a pianist in Carnegie Hall whose entry on a list of upcoming performances wouldn't be considered invading his privacy either.

I cannot find the thread where this is discussed either, could someone provide a link?

Who is "they"?

I have been in a privacy-first kind of business for more than a decade, yet I find it very hard to think of any privacy issues when captains on cruise lines are listed. High visibility of cruise line captains is IMHO part of the job (he made a good decision this, he was so nice to do such, I see many reviews that include the captain), almost similar to a pianist in Carnegie Hall whose entry on a list of upcoming performances wouldn't be considered invading his privacy either.

I cannot find the thread where this is discussed either, could someone provide a link?

The "they" is Holland America Lines. The thread is several years old and may have been deleted. I just went through my list of subscribed threads (very long) and couldn't find it. Copper John was posting the names of the ships officers and received a request from HAL to discontinue the practice.

As to other cruise lines allowing such lists, that is their policy. HAL may think differently about it now, but I guess no one has asked

I just fount the thread another way. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=571740

post #93 is John thanking me for removing a copy of the list I had posted on a web page, repeating the explanation as to why the practice was stopped

Edited by richwmn

The "they" is Holland America Lines. The thread is several years old and may have been deleted. I just went through my list of subscribed threads (very long) and couldn't find it. Copper John was posting the names of the ships officers and received a request from HAL to discontinue the practice.
Thanks for digging out the thread. I do wonder, though, whether the problem there was that it related to other officers as well, rather than simply the captain. The captain is in a slightly different position from the others.

Who is "they"?

Since I was the first person to bring it up about HAL not wanting the list published..This is the post I'm quoting

See: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=571740&page=5

Post No. 93 by Copper 10-8 who BTW is presently a HAL employee.

Quote As I posted about a week ago, HAL made an official request to Cruise Critic within the last three weeks to have the Staff assignment 'sticky' removed because it was felt it was an infringement on the privacy of those listed. The powers to be at Cruise Critic honored that request and the sticky has been removed. I have to respect that so, unless the sticky reappears, I will no longer be posting the staff assignment list for the ships.Unquote

(/SIZE]

Edited by serendipity1499

Okay I have read this and wonder about it it because it is dated March 2008. I know from these very boards I read who my Captain and fellow Officers etc. were for my Med cruise in 2009.

It could not have been very well enforced maybe till recently.

It is interesting that the Parent Corporation Carnival posts all this information for many of its staff.

Thanks

Phil

I'm curious as to why passengers want to know ahead of time what captain, officers, CD, etc are ahead of their cruise. Do they want to avoid certain people:) Has anyone ever cancelled a cruise if a certain captain was on board that cruise?

I'm curious as to why passengers want to know ahead of time what captain, officers, CD, etc are ahead of their cruise. Do they want to avoid certain people:) Has anyone ever cancelled a cruise if a certain captain was on board that cruise?

People will, yes. I would cancel cruises based on the Hotel Manager/Director if two are scheduled for the sailing I was on.

Okay I have read this and wonder about it it because it is dated March 2008. I know from these very boards I read who my Captain and fellow Officers etc. were for my Med cruise in 2009.

It could not have been very well enforced maybe till recently.

It is interesting that the Parent Corporation Carnival posts all this information for many of its staff.

Thanks

Phil

You seem to be portraying Carnival Cruise Lines & Carnival Corp. & PLC as equals.. Carnival Corp & PLC happens to own Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America, Seabourne, Princess Cruise lines, Windstar, P & O, Cunard, Costa & Aida as well as several tour operators & hotels.. (If I've left some company off please forgive me)

Carnival Corp & PLC does not post their Cruise Lines staff except their Board of Directors...

Carnival Cruise lines may post their staff, but Carnival Cruise Lines does not dictate policies for HAL.. Each cruise line decides it's own policies..

All of the Cruise lines under Carnival Corp. & PLC are autonomous & have CEO's or Presidents..HAL's CEO is Stein Kruse.. Each Cruise line, which comes under the Corporation, sets their own basic policy's regarding their Crew, Hotel Charges etc. while also enjoying the perks of the Corporation such as getting fuel at a better price & even an infusion of $$$ when necessary..

People will, yes. I would cancel cruises based on the Hotel Manager/Director if two are scheduled for the sailing I was on.

Ouch!

Call Seattle and ask to someone and get an answer. That should be a simple yes or no.

Of course this had nothing to do with posting a list of every captain of the fleet.

Fair?

Ouch!

Call Seattle and ask to someone and get an answer. That should be a simple yes or no.

Of course this had nothing to do with posting a list of every captain of the fleet.

Fair?

Guest Relations or Ship Services should still all be receiving the monthly crew reports.

You seem to be portraying Carnival Cruise Lines & Carnival Corp. & PLC as equals.. Carnival Corp & PLC happens to own Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America, Seabourne, Princess Cruise lines, Windstar, P & O, Cunard, Costa & Aida as well as several tour operators & hotels.. (If I've left some company off please forgive me)

Not really important but Cunard, Seabourn, Costa, HAL, Carnival and Princess would be lines we are most familiar with here in N.A.

Windstar has not been a member of the Carnival Corp. Family for more than 5 years. :)

Carnival Corp & PLC does not post their Cruise Lines staff except their Board of Directors...

Carnival Cruise lines may post their staff, but Carnival Cruise Lines does not dictate policies for HAL.. Each cruise line decides it's own policies..

All of the Cruise lines under Carnival Corp. & PLC are autonomous & have CEO's or Presidents..HAL's CEO is Stein Kruse.. Each Cruise line, which comes under the Corporation, sets their own basic policy's regarding their Crew, Hotel Charges etc. while also enjoying the perks of the Corporation such as getting fuel at a better price & even an infusion of $$$ when necessary..

Edited by sail7seas

Not really important but Cunard, Seabourn, Costa, HAL, Carnival and Princess would be lines we are most familiar with here in N.A.

Windstar has not been a member of the Carnival Corp. Family for more than 5 years. :)

OH,,,thanks Sail.. :o I didn't realize Windstar was out of the picture.. :o

ABSOLUTELY. There are four Captains and one Hotel Director Chris and I refuse to sail with again

There are many that would disagree with you that each line decides it's own policy's. I am one of those.

Please tell me why then Carnival moved Vista Class ships that were scheduled to be built for HAL were transferred to other brands then if they are autonomous? That wasn't the doing of HAL but was done by the parent company Carnival.

Have you noticed the increased use of Half Moon Cay by Carnival?

Ask yourself why only 1 new ship is currently being built and there is no option that I have seen for a second? Yet other brands have been getting new ships.

There has also been a shift too in Management with Stein Kruse taking over a new Holland America Group consisting of 41 ships from Holland America, Princess, Cunard, Seabourn and Carnival Australia.

The new President of HAL will be Orlando Ashford on December 1.

Oh yes HAL sold Windstar in March 2007.

Soon there will be the loss of two Statendam class ships and many are sure it will not be long before the other others follow. It is well known that as early as 6 months ago HAL had 3 of this class of ship for sale and two of them will be transferred so what will come of the third or the others.

Phil