anyone with NCL stock

LHT28

I think Winner is just stating that the "shareholder benefit" is common across other cruise lines in the industry. I believe there is one for Royal Caribbean too. I did not know about Carnival. Since Oceania (PCH) was not a publicly traded company, it never applied to Oceania cruises.

NCL owns Oceania

Second point. Stock is for investment for long term appreciation.

There are stocks like Disney (dis) and even Dennys... that have returned 30% each year and that's without dividends. CCL NCL have in the past years been a rollercoaster of loss and marginal gains...

Buying stock for a $100.00 discount off a cruise is like going to the gas station for a set of drinking glasses.. Wrong motivation, Wrong methods..... Wrong medium

Investing is for investing cruises aint it.

Just passing on information :eek:

Some people actually buy cruise line stocks :rolleyes:

How many knew you could get an OBC on Oceania or RSSC

Everyone has different priorities in life

I noticed that the fine print on the form states that: "Benefit is not combinable with any other offer. Shareholders have the option to choose between the shareholder benefit or the other offer."

I am not sure if the pricing policy is going to change under NCL ownership, but in the past, there are usually many other offers advertised by Oceania, most far in excess of the shareholder credit amount.

We do have Carnival stock, have had it for years (decades?), have done very well with it as an investment, and have enjoyed the $100 OBC as a bonus on the few times we have cruised on Carnival. Unless it has changed, the Carnival benefit MAY be combined with other incentives.

The first time we cruised with Celebrity we purchased some RCCL stock to get the benefit. However, we discovered that it's not combinable with other incentives, so we sold the stock -- at a profit, and got the benefit in another way :cool:. We know the NCL stock benefit is not combinable with other incentives, and we don't like to buy stocks within a year or two of an IPO as an investment, so we did not try to purchase any NCL stock. We may look at it now, because we believe the addition of Prestige to NCL will cause nothing but Good to the NCL stock. However, we won't be buying it for the OBC as we are now Platinum on NCL and get incentives worth more than the stock benefit.

Yes, NCL has now owned Oceania for about 13 days; extending benefits like the stock OBC will likely not be worked out for weeks or months to come. On a similar note, I don't expect the loyalty programs to be combined for a long time, if ever. I can't imagine NCL giving a free cruise on the 20th sailing, and I wouldn't expect Oceania folks to be appreciative if it went away.

Edited by hondorner

Just passing on information :eek:

Some people actually buy cruise line stocks :rolleyes:

How many knew you could get an OBC on Oceania or RSSC

Everyone has different priorities in life

And CCL has done well in the last 12 months up about 30%

NCL owns Oceania

There are stocks like Disney (dis) and even Dennys... that have returned 30% each year and that's without dividends. CCL NCL have in the past years been a rollercoaster of loss and marginal gains...

Buying stock for a $100.00 discount off a cruise is like going to the gas station for a set of drinking glasses.. Wrong motivation, Wrong methods..... Wrong medium

I can't speak to CCL prices, but you're wrong about NCL. NCLH's IPO was at $19 on Jan. 18, 2013, (less than two years ago). It closed that first trading day at $24.79, up 30%, and at the moment I'm writing this its price is $43.89, a 131% increase from its IPO, and a 77% increase from its close on the first day of trading. The only significant downward movement during that time was in Sept. and Oct. of this year, when pretty much every stock tanked for a few weeks.

I noticed that the fine print on the form states that: "Benefit is not combinable with any other offer. Shareholders have the option to choose between the shareholder benefit or the other offer."

I am not sure if the pricing policy is going to change under NCL ownership, but in the past, there are usually many other offers advertised by Oceania, most far in excess of the shareholder credit amount.

NCL virtually always has some type of promotion that offers OBC. We generally get promotional OBC far in excess of what the stockholder benefit would provide. However, at least until now, they gave you a free dinner for two in their steakhouse, Cagney's, (normal price $30 pp) plus a (cheap) bottle of wine instead of the stockholder OBC if you've chosen the other offer and are ineligible for the stockholder benefit. It's not clear to me if that courtesy is still being extended.

Edited by njhorseman

We do have Carnival stock, have had it for years (decades?), have done very well with it as an investment, and have enjoyed the $100 OBC as a bonus on the few times we have cruised on Carnival. Unless it has changed, the Carnival benefit MAY be combined with other incentives.

The first time we cruised with Celebrity we purchased some RCCL stock to get the benefit. However, we discovered that it's not combinable with other incentives, so we sold the stock -- at a profit, and got the benefit in another way :cool:. We know the NCL stock benefit is not combinable with other incentives, and we don't like to buy stocks within a year or two of an IPO as an investment, so we did not try to purchase any NCL stock. We may look at it now, because we believe the addition of Prestige to NCL will cause nothing but Good to the NCL stock. However, we won't be buying it for the OBC as we are now Platinum on NCL and get incentives worth more than the stock benefit.

Yes, NCL has now owned Oceania for about 13 days; extending benefits like the stock OBC will likely not be worked out for weeks or months to come. On a similar note, I don't expect the loyalty programs to be combined for a long time, if ever. I can't imagine NCL giving a free cruise on the 20th sailing, and I wouldn't expect Oceania folks to be appreciative if it went away.

They've said from day one that the loyalty programs won't be combined.

If you read the link to the stockholder benefit that was provided, you'll see that the NCLH shareholder OBC already applies to Oceania and Regent cruises...no waiting for "weeks or months to come" is required.

FYI, NCLH's share price has already increased 131% since the IPO on 1/18/13.

Edited by njhorseman

I wonder if that means the 2 for 1 offers & "FREE" air, the free OBC, internet etc they are offering ???

I guess when someone decide to take advantage of the shareholder OBC we will find out

Lyn

NCL owns Oceania

+1 thanks for saying what I was thinking.

I wonder if that means the 2 for 1 offers & "FREE" air, the free OBC, internet etc they are offering ???

I guess when someone decide to take advantage of the shareholder OBC we will find out

Lyn

I suspect the "2 for 1" won't disqualify you. That's no different than the normal "discounting" that NCL uses every day. What has disqualified you on NCL in the past is promotional OBC, so I suspect free OBC will also disqualify you. My guess is "free" air won't because it's not really free, its built into the cruise fare quoted.

I suspect the "2 for 1" won't disqualify you. That's no different than the normal "discounting" that NCL uses every day. What has disqualified you on NCL in the past is promotional OBC, so I suspect free OBC will also disqualify you. My guess is "free" air won't because it's not really free, its built into the cruise fare quoted.

I agree with respect to the 2 for 1 pricing and the air. However, on many cruises, Oceania offers onboard credit and prepaid gratuities. I suspect those will be considered other offers, which are not combinable with the stockholders credit. I have had problems getting onboard booking credit on Celebrity lately, since it cannot be combined with certain other offers, which usually seem to be worth more.

3 years ago I could have bought CCL or Disney. CCL paid$ 25cents a share div, Disney paid .33 Disney sold for $34 CCL was pushing $45.

Bottom line today Disney is at $92 Pay $.86 civ CCL$ 44 Carnival $.25.................. how did than work out...well

I TOOK a cruise for 34 days on Marina, bought 2 new cars paid by a small portion of my appreciation in Disney...

on CCL I would have lost $$

However, I did not get a $100 off my , darn !

One in vestment was for the Mickey Mouse company,, but I could have invested in a company that was a Mickey Mouse company

Your dough...

IF you buy right, IF the sector holds, IF....If...

For me that cruise market sector was way too volatile,,, to reactive while some made 30 others lost 40....

I will stick with my Mouse which has a 5 year forward 13-15% growth...

Either way I am not going to drop almost $4600 to save $100 way much for little in return....Wrong way to make/ save money.

IF you buy right, IF the sector holds, IF....If...

For me that cruise market sector was way too volatile,,, to reactive while some made 30 others lost 40....

I will stick with my Mouse which has a 5 year forward 13-15% growth...

Either way I am not going to drop almost $4600 to save $100 way much for little in return....Wrong way to make/ save money.

I would never suggest that you buy cruise line stock solely to get OBC, but your original argument stating that in past years NCL stock in past years was "a rollercoaster of loss and marginal gains" is complete fiction. As I stated earlier, the company went public less than two years ago, and the stock price has increased 131% since the IPO. Hardly indicative of a "rollerecoaster" or a market that's too volatile or reactive.

When I did my research on CCL ( which I got confused with NCL since they own everything) Looks like a looser 24 months back... Actualy till about 6 mos ago things were not that great wit the sector... I agree in the past 2-3 months off like a rocket. Kraft did that after their IPO to Mondeleze then 5 months later bam the fell . Good luck to you you have a position but now is NOT the time to buy that horse.

Metrics show the stock is oversold at this point. Hope for you it is not.

If I had a stock that blew up 130% in a few months... Id be selling a good portion of the profit waiting for a correction.

Me...I am happy with slow steady power growth and trying to figure out how i'm going to spend what I got now... whatever I spend.. darn it grows right back like a weed....! I'll figure it out somehow....

Tried for the NCL shareholder benefit for upcoming 16 day sailing.

Request was denied because we are part of a "group booking".

I am not sure what that means?

Our TA must have a group because we were not aware we are part of a group booking. We are paying the advertised rate on Oceania's website??

Oceania says the group promotion we have is better than the shareholder benefit of $250. I know we are getting free gratuities and a small onboard credit.....that must be the group promotion?

Yes. Your TA commits to a certain number of cabins, called a "group". They are not specific cabins, just a number. In return, the cruiseline supplies certain incentives for the TA to pass on. Because these benefits are from the cruiseline, and because they are more valuable than the shareholder benefit, the NCL benefit is not combinable. Of course, you could always cancel the other benefits to get the $250 :rolleyes:.

Edited by hondorner

Yes. Your TA commits to a certain number of cabins, called a "group". They are not specific cabins, just a number. In return, the cruiseline supplies certain incentives for the TA to pass on. Because these benefits are from the cruiseline, and because they are more valuable than the shareholder benefit, the NCL benefit is not combinable. Of course, you could always cancel the other benefits to get the $250 :rolleyes:.

Thanks for the explanation on the group booking.

No, I am not going to cancel the benefits provided by the TA just to get the shareholder benefits. :)