CCL stock is going "Bananas"!

serendipity1499

:o It still has to go up quite a bit to get to where I bought it in late 2004. It was some $52 a share when I bought the initial $100. I have bought 50 more since when it dropped low trying to average it out. I do love that it is going up. But between dividends and the many times I have collected SBC I certainly have not lost money :)

:o It still has to go up quite a bit to get to where I bought it in late 2004. It was some $52 a share when I bought the initial $100. I have bought 50 more since when it dropped low trying to average it out. I do love that it is going up. But between dividends and the many times I have collected SBC I certainly have not lost money :)

welcome home Lisa.

hope you and Tom had a fantastic time :)

welcome home Lisa.

hope you and Tom had a fantastic time :)

Thanks, Yes had a great cruise. Although feel like it has been months since we have been home:( Those 7 day cruises just go by too quickly. Now next up is the Volendam but not for another 6 months.

I was just looking at my purchase history- bought the first 55 shares at $19.27 per share in January 2009 and then the next block of 45 shares at $25.87 later that year. GREAT investment all around- have received OBC four times, will be taking another cruise in January and will get another OBC, and have continued to purchase beyond the first 100 shares through dividend reinvestment. I was lucky to be able to purchase at such low prices. Its a great program that CCL offers its investors.

I was just looking at my purchase history- bought the first 55 shares at $19.27 per share in January 2009 and then the next block of 45 shares at $25.87 later that year. GREAT investment all around- have received OBC four times, will be taking another cruise in January and will get another OBC, and have continued to purchase beyond the first 100 shares through dividend reinvestment. I was lucky to be able to purchase at such low prices. Its a great program that CCL offers its investors.

By purchasing more than your hundred shares through dividend re-investment are you banking on the fact that the stock will continue to increase?

When I purchased our 100 shares, I never thought to add to it by using dividend re-investment, which we have on much of our portfolio..

We have our dividends put into our joint account & have been paying tax on them.. Although the tax is negligible, we try to not have a big tax bill at the end of the year.. Since we are of the age we must take out funds from our IRA's & try to have enough Tax monies put aside, we always end up paying at Income tax time.. Wonder if we would be better off re-investing our dividends on the CCL stock?

By purchasing more than your hundred shares through dividend re-investment are you banking on the fact that the stock will continue to increase?

When I purchased our 100 shares, I never thought to add to it by using dividend re-investment, which we have on much of our portfolio..

We have our dividends put into our joint account & have been paying tax on them.. Although the tax is negligible, we try to not have a big tax bill at the end of the year.. Since we are of the age we must take out funds from our IRA's & try to have enough Tax monies put aside, we always end up paying at Income tax time.. Wonder if we would be better off re-investing our dividends on the CCL stock?

You might want to ask your tax adviser to be sure, but I think that if you re-invest the dividends you still pay tax on the dividends in the year they are issued. So, no tax saving.

DaveOKC

I just took a look at the share prices paid when I purchased stock through dividend reinvestment and the purchase prices for the dividend reinvestments have ranged from $32.06 to $43.71 per share... So the stock has had its ups and downs for sure throughout the last six years.

Generally, I'm not really sure what the future looks like for the company. I just invest in a variety of stuff I'm interested in and since I enjoy cruising with HAL and there was a benefit to be had that would cost me little money with a possible upside, I figured I'd give it a go; with stocks, I always try to use dividend reinvestment where possible, unless it is absolutely something I know I want to get out of. Generally, I like companies that pay good dividends and with those, 90% of the time I reinvest the dividends. The fact that CCL is a good dividend payer was a significant extra plus that made purchase of the stock a no-brainer. In contrast, I hold very few mutual funds outside of indexed funds within my pension plans and with those I do own, I almost never reinvest the dividends. So in this case it seemed like a win win overall to purchase stock and reinvest the dividends and that has worked well thus far. I also plan to hold the stock for the next several decades so I'm in for the long haul.

As for tax, unless you hold the stock in a tax deferred account such as an IRA or an RRSP (Canada), you will need to recognize the dividends as income on an annual basis whether you take the cash or reinvest. So there really isn't that much difference tax wise. You pay either way, unless the stock is held in a tax deferred account as discussed above.

Edited by Gamelan1971

Does anyone know what's driving up CCL's stock?

It closed today at $44.16 (up $2.04) !:D:D Are they selling cruises at Black Friday prices?

We've certainly recouped our initial investment for the stock with OBC's & Dividends, but really wish we had bought more than 100 shares! ;)

I've never had much luck buying individual stocks, so this makes me happy..

Certainly lower oil prices are a huge factor in cruise profitablility. In addition I think that a lot of people think that the CCL brand will end up doing very very well in Asian markets like China, Japan, Korea where they are moving more and more ships.

Contrary to what many seem to think there are a LOT of wealthy Asians who like to travel. I suspect it will take a bit of an advertising and educational program in Asia to convince potential passengers that they won't get sea sick and that a cruise really is a very nice way to travel. I also suspect that CCL will devote several ships to all Chinese crew, food, entertainment etc .

Add to the Asian potential the fact that worldwide there are more and more retirees who still like to travel but frankly don't want all the hassles of land vacations like airports, rent a cars, restaurants, hotels, etc etc..

And of course though agents don't want to hear it I expect over the coming years that cruise lines will book more and more customers direct on their own web site meaning no travel agent commissions paid. Agent commissions are a big expense and as more people become familiar with all the tools and information available on the web I would guess that agent bookings will decline substantially.....even though cruise execs claim to love agents and they are "partners" etc etc there is little doubt in my mind that within ten years the vast majority of bookings will be direct with the cruise lines and agents will take yet another major commission hit similar to when the airlines cut/eliminated agent commissions and went online with the product.

Overall I suspect that CCL stock is a good buy and hold over the coming years. But no guarantees ..the killer would be massive oil price increases or a terrorist attack.

And the stock corrected itself over the weekend. Down $1.89/share.

Never trust stock prices on a slow holiday trading date. Good time to buy or sell if you know the price you want. Low volume on these days and many traders are gone for the holiday, so prices fluctuate more than normal.

DaveOKC

I have held CCL for a number of years and am a happy shareholder. I do not recall the exact year, but I attended an Annual Meeting when it was held at the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables, Florida. This was an interesting experience. There were not many small shareholders like me present, but the agenda was interesting, even we small shareholders were treated very well with a pre-meeting continental breakfast where some of the Board of Director members attended and circulated among the tables, speaking with us. If one took the opportunity after the formal meeting, one could speak with other officers of CCL. I was able to talk briefly with Mr. Arison and, then, Mr. Kruse of HAL. Both were gracious and interested in my comments.

If you are in the area at the time of the meeting, I would recommend attending it.

RCL and NCLH both rose slightly more than CCL today, but CCL pays the best dividend. The analysts attributed all the rises to lower oil prices, which should translate directly to higher profits for the cruise lines.

Just heard on CNBC that RCCL went up and they attributed it to the stock being added to an index. Another stock was dropped and RCCL was added. However, if all the lines went up the oil price reason makes more sense. Bought 100 shares recently after reading discussion here about the OBC...sure not getting that kind of return on my bank deposits.

You might want to ask your tax adviser to be sure, but I think that if you re-invest the dividends you still pay tax on the dividends in the year they are issued. So, no tax saving.

DaveOKC

Forgot about that.. Just looked at our taxes from last year & we paid on a lot of the dividend reinvestments.. Thanks..

I just took a look at the share prices paid when I purchased stock through dividend reinvestment and the purchase prices for the dividend reinvestments have ranged from $32.06 to $43.71 per share... So the stock has had its ups and downs for sure throughout the last six years.

Generally, I'm not really sure what the future looks like for the company. I just invest in a variety of stuff I'm interested in and since I enjoy cruising with HAL and there was a benefit to be had that would cost me little money with a possible upside, I figured I'd give it a go; with stocks, I always try to use dividend reinvestment where possible, unless it is absolutely something I know I want to get out of. Generally, I like companies that pay good dividends and with those, 90% of the time I reinvest the dividends. The fact that CCL is a good dividend payer was a significant extra plus that made purchase of the stock a no-brainer. In contrast, I hold very few mutual funds outside of indexed funds within my pension plans and with those I do own, I almost never reinvest the dividends. So in this case it seemed like a win win overall to purchase stock and reinvest the dividends and that has worked well thus far. I also plan to hold the stock for the next several decades so I'm in for the long haul.

As for tax, unless you hold the stock in a tax deferred account such as an IRA or an RRSP (Canada), you will need to recognize the dividends as income on an annual basis whether you take the cash or reinvest. So there really isn't that much difference tax wise. You pay either way, unless the stock is held in a tax deferred account as discussed above.

Thanks..

Certainly lower oil prices are a huge factor in cruise profitablility. In addition I think that a lot of people think that the CCL brand will end up doing very very well in Asian markets like China, Japan, Korea where they are moving more and more ships.

Contrary to what many seem to think there are a LOT of wealthy Asians who like to travel. I suspect it will take a bit of an advertising and educational program in Asia to convince potential passengers that they won't get sea sick and that a cruise really is a very nice way to travel. I also suspect that CCL will devote several ships to all Chinese crew, food, entertainment etc .

Add to the Asian potential the fact that worldwide there are more and more retirees who still like to travel but frankly don't want all the hassles of land vacations like airports, rent a cars, restaurants, hotels, etc etc..

And of course though agents don't want to hear it I expect over the coming years that cruise lines will book more and more customers direct on their own web site meaning no travel agent commissions paid. Agent commissions are a big expense and as more people become familiar with all the tools and information available on the web I would guess that agent bookings will decline substantially.....even though cruise execs claim to love agents and they are "partners" etc etc there is little doubt in my mind that within ten years the vast majority of bookings will be direct with the cruise lines and agents will take yet another major commission hit similar to when the airlines cut/eliminated agent commissions and went online with the product.

Overall I suspect that CCL stock is a good buy and hold over the coming years. But no guarantees ..the killer would be massive oil price increases or a terrorist attack.

We'll enjoy it while we can.. Once we stop cruising, we probably will sell it if it's still up..

[quote name='dockman']Certainly lower oil prices are a huge factor in cruise profitablility. In addition I think that a lot of people think that the CCL brand will end up doing very very well in Asian markets like China, Japan, Korea where they are moving more and more ships.

Overall I suspect that CCL stock is a good buy and hold over the coming years. But no guarantees ..the killer would be massive oil price increases or a terrorist attack.[/QUOTE]
[SIZE="3"]
In addition to the oil prices, I believe you are correct about the Asian market.. I can't see HAL replacing the Indonesian Crew though..

Thanks everyone for your opinions.. Will keep the stock until we stop cruising, unless it's still going up..[/SIZE]