Two way radios on board

pianosme

DW and I have used them on several cruises and they worked fairly well. You must beware, however, where you use them so that they do not bother those around you like in the theatre, church services, etc. SIZE]

Has anyone had any luck using two way radios on board to help communicate with traveling companions etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

jtl513 has directed you to some exisiting threads on this subject. Be forewarned... it can be a touchy one! :D

Some people report that it is difficult for the signals to penetrate the structure of the ship.

Edited by RJ2002

They are great to use in places like Disney World, where everything around you is noisy, and you can keep track of your family without annoying everyone else. On board a ship is totally different. We always have a pre-arranged meeting place at a pre-arranged time during the day. And post-it notes on the mirror in the cabin are very quiet.:D

They are great to use in places like Disney World, where everything around you is noisy, and you can keep track of your family without annoying everyone else. On board a ship is totally different. We always have a pre-arranged meeting place at a pre-arranged time during the day. And post-it notes on the mirror in the cabin are very quiet.:D

Post-it notes on your friends' mailbox work well too.

Firechat is an app for smartphones that we are going to try out this coming voyage rather than look for two-way radios. The limitations of this app that I can forsee are, the phones have to use the same operating system, i.e., apple for apple messages, android for android, etc.; and, it uses bluetooth from the phones itself so the useable distance is anywhere from 9 meters(30 feet) to 60 metres (200 feet) depending on the ship's structure. It does not need a cell phone or an internet connection.

How it works is the text messages go from phone to phone and if there are more than two on the same app then the messages hop from phone 1 to 2 to 3. The downside is that messages are public, but you can use code names and also the messages are not encrypted. There is an option to create a channel so you can name it something useful that your group will use. Be aware, only text messages are passed. And, also if your phone is on silent it will not disturb anyone else around you.

The app is free. Hopefully there will be enough users on the ship to give 'free' messaging throughout the ship. I will let you know how it works out.

No I am not related to the developers but the app was well used in some recent places. Here is a newsstory on it:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/firechat-off-the-grid-messaging-app-what-you-need-to-know-1.2784271

Firechat is an app for smartphones that we are going to try out this coming voyage rather than look for two-way radios. The limitations of this app that I can forsee are, the phones have to use the same operating system, i.e., apple for apple messages, android for android, etc.; and, it uses bluetooth from the phones itself so the useable distance is anywhere from 9 meters(30 feet) to 60 metres (200 feet) depending on the ship's structure. It does not need a cell phone or an internet connection.

How it works is the text messages go from phone to phone and if there are more than two on the same app then the messages hop from phone 1 to 2 to 3. The downside is that messages are public, but you can use code names and also the messages are not encrypted. There is an option to create a channel so you can name it something useful that your group will use. Be aware, only text messages are passed. And, also if your phone is on silent it will not disturb anyone else around you.

The app is free. Hopefully there will be enough users on the ship to give 'free' messaging throughout the ship. I will let you know how it works out.

No I am not related to the developers but the app was well used in some recent places. Here is a newsstory on it:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/firechat-off-the-grid-messaging-app-what-you-need-to-know-1.2784271

Sounds like a great idea but there are cost considerations when using a cell phone at sea.

Whenver you turn ON your phone on a cruise ship, the phone tries to determine a cellular connection. With an immediate connection to the ship's cellular service, a minimum charge of one minute of connection time will be charged (I have heard anywhere from $3.99 to $8.99) as will the receiving phone as soon as it too is turned ON.

Please return after your trial and let us know how your cell phone bill was affected.

Sounds like a great idea but there are cost considerations when using a cell phone at sea.

Whenver you turn ON your phone on a cruise ship, the phone tries to determine a cellular connection. With an immediate connection to the ship's cellular service, a minimum charge of one minute of connection time will be charged (I have heard anywhere from $3.99 to $8.99) as will the receiving phone as soon as it too is turned ON.

Not if you have it in air plane mode. That the poster is talking about is using blue tooth and not cell phone/wifi/internet connection.

Edited by Boytjie

On our recent cruise, there was a woman trying to contact a family member in the Lido.

All she accomplished was annoying people with her constant yelling into the two way radio "Can you hear me"?

Everyone in the Lido should have shouted back - YES WE CAN!!.

Don

• 4 weeks later...

Well I am back.

In short, firechat was a failure. Furthest distance we were able to use it was about 15 feet. So, maybe it can be used between neighbouring cabins, but that is all I can suggest.

Edited by Nanobot

They are probably one of the most annoying things on a cruise.

Do yourself and your fellow passengers a favor, leave them at home.

Nope! :D We ALWAYS bring our two-way radios with us on ALL HAL cruises and use them quite extensively! ;) They are no more annoying than the (LOUD) melodious sounds of children, (as well as adults), jumping and splashing in the pools! :mad: