Food - Regent and Oceania

Travelcat2

Thanks Paul, I was about to make the same correction. We were only able to get one extra night on our 14-day Riviera cruise last fall, and that was a last-minute thing arranged by our butler. I suspect the butlers broker these scarce reservations among themselves!

Sorry Paulchili and Wendy - that escaped me! You are absolutely right

Gerry

Help me out... are there lines that do this... allow walk ups without a reservation system to specialty dining?

You can do walk ups on Regent. If there is availability, they will accommodate you. On our last cruise, we were just cancelling our reservation and the people behind us (that just walked up) got in.

wripro, I am not fond of how reservations are done on Silversea. Everyone is trying to make reservations on the first day. IMO, this is no better than making reservations 3 months in advance. I hear that on Seabourn you need to call for reservations (not certain if this is true). Do you know how it is handled on Crystal?

Crystal:

Reservations are booked ahead on line and each passenger is permitted 2 reservations per cruise - it can be 2 in the same place or one in each of the 2 specialty restaurants (Silk Road - Asian or Prego - Italian).

If - once you are on board and you can get the space - there is a charge of $30pp for any reservations over the 2 allowed.

Edited by xrvlcruiser

Help me out... are there lines that do this... allow walk ups without a reservation system to specialty dining?
The 4 specialty restaurants on Hapag-Lloyd's MS Europa 2 open for reservations just two days in advance, so that's close. That's supposed to be the finest ship on the sea, too, although I've never sailed on it.

Just wanted to mention that the Riviera was docked next to the Hapag-Lloyd's MS Europa 2. I don't think we would want to sail on her -- despite the fact that the ship is reportedly wonderful. Firstly, they encourage families (i.e. children) and also, German is the main language spoken. While they are trying to get into the U.S. market, English speakers still remain a minority.

Much as I like Oceania and I do, I think one of the things that contributes a luxury line being luxury is not having to make dinner reservations three months or more in advance. I do not want to have to decide there months earlier where I will be dining on a specific night. I want to be able to make that decision on the ship.

Henry,

I don't mind making my reservations in advance.

After all, the itinerary is known, the departure times are known and I usually know when and what tours I am doing. So choosing specialty reservations on my preferred nights is not a problem for me.

Alternatively, as everyone is guaranteed their allotted number of reservations, you can make them anytime while on the ship and you will get them, but only at the days, times and table sizes that are available at that time.

I'd much rather choose the times, the days and table size myself rather than take what is left.

YMMV

Hi Jackie and welcome home. Yes Crystal did implement this charge about a year ago and many people are not happy about this. We are in a suite and I think the charge for us is waived based on availability.

Your review of the Rivera was also mentioned on the Crystal board and thank you for sharing your observations.

Hope the surgery goes well and you both will be on the high seas soon.

Happy Holidays

Miles&Dan

Miles and Dan,

The wavers I've heard about are for people with over 50 cruises (I think that's the number) and Full World Cruisers. You may be correct but if so, that information has been kept quiet.

I will check and post if there is anything new.

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser

Miles and Dan,

The wavers I've heard about are for people with over 50 cruises (I think that's the number) and Full World Cruisers. You may be correct but if so, that information has been kept quiet.

I will check and post if there is anything new.

Peggy

Peggy, you are correct.

50 or more cruises no charge and no charge for full World Cruisers.

Being in a suite makes no difference. Miles, I remember your charge was waived but just consider that you were lucky.

Keith

While I do not find 'oddities' on Crystal! they do charge for a second visit to the speciality restaurants! a policy which Dislike. Certain categories have more liberal policies, such as WC ć and suites, like Oceania and Regent. Not fond of that either. We sail Seabourn a lot and unless I am having a brain freeze, I don"t recall their charging for restaurants.

Please excuse the iPad add ons

Peggy, you are correct.

50 or more cruises no charge and no charge for full World Cruisers.

Being in a suite makes no difference. Miles, I remember your charge was waived but just consider that you were lucky.

Keith

In addition, on cruises 14 days or more, you get a second complimentary reservation in each specialty restaurant.

Nancy

Edited by nancygp

It is a difficult seesaw to both reward frequent sailors and have a fair policy.

I have no problem with gifts,laundry perks, telephhoe hours, or special dinners/parties for the loyalists but since the restaurants are so very highly touted in brochures and advertisements, I do not appreciate discriminating policies about restaurant reservations. Jackie's recent posts re: Oceania seemed to indicate an almost class system of being able to obtain additional reservations. This also would seem to apply now to WC and those with 65 cruises on Crystal. And questions re; same have been raised on the Regent board. These policies leave the other passengers less equal for the same fare and the same brochure based expectations. Imagine if they controlled the hours in the gym or spa appts that way or any number of other advertised, included areas/features. JMO Paula

It is a difficult seesaw to both reward frequent sailors and have a fair policy.

I have no problem with gifts,laundry perks, telephhoe hours, or special dinners/parties for the loyalists but since the restaurants are so very highly touted in brochures and advertisements, I do not appreciate discriminating policies about restaurant reservations. Jackie's recent posts re: Oceania seemed to indicate an almost class system of being able to obtain additional reservations.

Anyone can ask for additional seatings on Oceania it depending on how flexible you are with times/dates & willingness to share

We usually book the lower class cabins & have gotten extra seatings on some itineraries ...

of course if you seek out the GM I am sure you will get as many extra seating as you want :rolleyes:

Hi Jackie and welcome home. Yes Crystal did implement this charge about a year ago and many people are not happy about this. We are in a suite and I think the charge for us is waived based on availability.

Your review of the Rivera was also mentioned on the Crystal board and thank you for sharing your observations.

Hope the surgery goes well and you both will be on the high seas soon.

Happy Holidays

Miles&Dan

Thank you so very much for your kind wishes. We will be back on the high seas on April 2nd!

Enjoy your Asian adventure.

Hope your holidays are wonderful and that you have a safe and healthy New Year.

Jackie and Dennis

I know that Crystal has some "oddities" but I do think as a luxury line charging people to make dining reservations beyond a small allotment is a bit off! Same as (I understand) Seaborne has a charge for some speciality restaurant(s).

I understand. People have mixed reactions to it.

Since I understand it and have seen it before and after I am very supportive of it.

The problem was that before Crystal went inclusive they charged a recommended fee of around $7.00 per person as a recommended gratuity. The vast majority of guests would visit each restaurant once. That is how they were sized and it worked well particularly on voyages of 12 or less days.

When inclusive was implemented they waived the fee. It might sound silly but this is somewhat typical of people in that when it was waived many started to go often. Yes, $7.00 made a difference. While hard to believe very true.

The restaurants became very full and since the food is prepared order by order it impacted service and the entire experience and particularly those new to Crystal who didn't book reservations ahead of time or just waited couldn't get into the restaurants.

So there were all sorts of solutions. One was to empower the Maitre d' but the reality is if someone wanted a reservation they would demand it. Or they might pass by the restaurant and see that tables were open because you don't want all your tables full all the time and they would demand it and even make a scene. This type of behavior is not unique to cruising. Rather it is the attitude of entitlement that now takes place all over the world.

So, as a way to control all this they implemented the $30.00 fee. If you are on a cruise of less than 14 days there is no fee for your first visit to each restaurant and by the way that was always the intent which was to get everyone to them at least once per sailing. If you are on for 14 days or longer you could dine at each one twice without a fee. You were guaranteed one reservation per restaurant and then once on board based on availability you could make the additional reservations.

And if there is space you can make more and pay the $30.00 per person fee.

I first thought there were better options. However, having sailed on several voyages of varying lengths after this change was implemented in January of 2014 including not only world cruises but voyages as short as 7 days I changed my own mind and think it was the right thing to do.

As to the experience it is wonderful and they way I remembered it before the $7.00 recommended fee was waived.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but for me I am very pleased with the current experience and personally I thought it had been abused by people who just said I want to dine there each and every evening. That was never the intent and it is not staffed nor sized that way.

Like most things in life you are rarely ever going to come up with an approach or solution that makes everyone happy.

Keith

Jackie's recent posts re: Oceania seemed to indicate an almost class system of being able to obtain additional reservations. Paula

While some Oceania passengers disagree with me, Oceania does have a class system. I'm not saying that it is right or wrong -- just not something that I personally like. It helps to take into consideration that Oceania is not considered a true "luxury" cruise line (as defined by their CEO). Different levels of passengers receive more or less access to dining reservations, may or may not have access to the "Concierge" or "Executive" lounges, etc. In terms of luxury lines, I realize that Crystal has some space problems which makes it difficult (if not impossible) to have true open seating. Do they have the same issue with specialty restaurants?

I know that Regent looks at the number of passengers and seating in their specialty restaurants and want to insure that everyone has the opportunity to have one reservation in each restaurant. This is more of an issue on 7 night itineraries than longer ones. Beyond that, if there is availability, you can certainly have more reservations - regardless of what type of suite you are in.

It was disappointing to hear that Crystal began charging for their specialty restaurants (after the first visit) as there is always the concern that other luxury cruise lines will follow suit. While I usually agree with Keith, I have to disagree about passengers making a scene when they cannot get into a specialty restaurant - at least this does not happen on Regent. Perhaps long time customers on Crystal were allowed unlimited access for so long that it became difficult to put limitations on the number of visits..... thus, the charge.

On a personal note....... we are not that enamored with Prime 7 or Signatures on Regent -- usually one reservation is enough. - on our last Regent cruise we cancelled our Signatures reservation twice. We prefer dining in Compass Rose and occasionally in Sette Mari. On Oceania, we prefer the specialty restaurants -- not the MDR or "cafeteria".

Edited by Travelcat2

Travelcat2 I agree with you about not being that enamoured with Prime 7.It was always a big subject ( and issue) on Navigator this fall.Most people we met seemed to find it important to get an extra booking in Prime 7.it appeared to be a snobbery thing.

I did not rate the steak tartare appetizer ( boring and no garlic) nor the crab leg with the steak ( pre-frozen so tasteless),nor the dessert.The steak was excellent though.But we had great steaks in Sette Mari.there was no atmosphere in Prime 7 either.Service was poor.would give up my reservation to someone else if we booked again.

We much preferred to sit outside in Sette Mari every evening.

P.S. The crown grills on Princess was far superior to Prime 7 even though they charge a little extra..

Edited by janecambridge

Airlines have a "class system". Railways have a "class system". I fail to see anything wrong with it. For that matter Golf Clubs have one too... it is called a handicap!

And Regent also has a "class system". If you have one of the larger suites on a Regent ship your butler can get you into Prime 7 or Signatures more or less when you want. I have had personal experience of this on the Navigator. We tried - and failed - to get a second reservation for Prime 7 on a Caribbean cruise. (We were in a PH suite). Nothing available at any time remaining. Then our Trivia partners, who were in the Masters Suite, asked for a table for the 4 of us. We had dinner the same night in Prime 7. I appreciated their asking us, of course I did. Did I "resent" the "class system" Not one bit!

Gerry, we have been in Master and Grand suites multiple times on Regent and do not automatically get additional reservations in the specialty restaurants. We have been in a PH suites and were able to get a minimum of two reservations per restaurant (not every time). On Regent, the butler and other amenities offered to upper suite passengers are contained within the suite. Although we disagree on whether the class system is a good thing or not, I do not find a class system on Regent (other than what is described below). A good friend of mine was disappointed in Regent and prefers Oceania because of the special treatment they are given in the Owners Suite. They even have had early tendering which isn't listed as a benefit on Oceania. None of this is possible on Regent.

I agree that there are class systems on airlines but cannot compare that with cruise lines when you are onboard 24/7 for multiple days or weeks. There have also been all business class (or maybe it was first class) airlines which, IMO, is similar to Regent.

When Regent implemented the "concierge" system, it did put a form of a "class" system into place. Although early booking of restaurants and excursions is basically invisible to other guests, it is a hassle to try to arrange a dinner with this system.

IMO, nothing I have seen on any cruise line showed the "class" system more clearly than when we boarded the Riviera last time. It was a late boarding due to a Coast Guard inspection. There were four lines for check-in clearly marked:

1. Oceania, Vista, Owners Suites

2. PH Suites

3. Concierge

4. Not sure what the last line said because I couldn't see the card -- only the longer line.

I realize that Gerry (and my DH) and I will never see eye to eye on this subject. I do wonder if being born or spending much of one's life in countries where the class system is the "norm" is the reason why we see things so differently. In any case, we disagree politely;)

Edited by Travelcat2

It's interesting how everyone has his personal take on how the dining situation should be handled. I like total freedom to do what I want on the day I want it. That's why Crystal's Dining By Reservation doesn't work for me any more than having to make reservations months in advance at specialty restaurants on Oceania or Regent. It's not just about what excursions or ports I know I'll be seeing on a given date, it's about what I feel like eating or who I feel like eating with that night, or no more than a night or two prior. That's what luxury measn to me, Others surely feel differently. And I still feel that Crystal's $30 charge after the first dine is a money grab. If they were only concerned about not having enough spots for all those who wanted them a better way to do it would have been to institute two seatings per night, doubling the capacity....just as they do in their dining room.