Azamara Asks...Which destination would you most like to explore at night?

BBMacLaird

Which destination would you most like to explore at night?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which destination would you most like to explore at night?

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • Shanghai, China
    • Belfast, Ireland
    • Buenos Aires, Argentina
    • Mykonos, Greece

I voted for Mykonos, but my real choice would be Santorini. The guidebooks all talk about how beautiful sunset is from Oia, but most cruise ships leave before then. It would be great if Azamara had an overnight or late-night departure on Santorini. There is a winery that all the cruise tours stop at during the day -- that might be a venue for an Azamazing evening.

I find the 5 choices curious. With the ship's itineraries, I would be thinking more about European ports, not ports where AZ only visits a couple of times a year.

For example, with the Royal Tattoo during the month of August in Edinburgh, Scotland, why not overnights and itineraries that take advantage of this venue. Regent, Seabourn and Crystal all have had overnights in the past or on their 2015 itineraries.

Tell us: Which destination would you most like to explore at night?

- Bangkok, Thailand

- Shanghai, China

- Belfast, Ireland

- Buenos Aires, Argentina

- Mykonos, Greece

Let us know in the comments!

Have not been to those, so hard to to say. But the places I've been, it has to be Yokohama (Tokyo) or Hong Kong at nights. Lots of things to do and see. Safety is also a big factor at nights.

Why is Azamara doing market research on our forum?

To see what our preferences are? Cruise Critic is about sharing information and opinions. I'm happy that Bonnie is asking what we're interested in because she has access to the people who create the itineraries. There's much comment on this forum about same old-same old ports on sailings. I think it's a very positive thing for Bonnie to ask the people who love and sail Azamara what THEY want to see.

I like to be asked my opinion and I find it interesting to see what others think. I have lots of opinions so ask away!

There are many factors to consider in the overnight stays. For Bangkok, I did 5 days precruise there on my own staying in a hotel. We went out several times but nothing that I identified as that special. AND the port that the Princess Ship sailed from was over an hour drive from center of Bangkok.

BA seems like a great place for overnight because the dancing and dinner scene starts so late BUT I believe that there are strict limits on ships going in and out time zones -- one way traffic into the docks and there were hundreds of ships waiting in open water to go to dock to unload. (Don't flame me if I am wrong -- just using my rusty old memory bank). BA sailaway with the huge buildings and a deep red and orange and purple sky at sunset was awesome.

Hong Kong on Star Princess -- one of my most outstanding memories -- Top deck floating slowly through the dark of Victoria Harbor with the lazer light show going on over our heads and highlighting the ship (with free drinks!) what a party!! This could be a good overnight too -- another pre-cruise city.

Greece. Anywhere and everywhere there are lots of taverns with great views and good food. Nice place to be day or night.

I would not like to have to travel to town and stay overnight from the ship. I love the ship and it's beds and it's food and it's comfort too much to take advantage of an overnight off the ship. JMHO.

To see what our preferences are? Cruise Critic is about sharing information and opinions. I'm happy that Bonnie is asking what we're interested in because she has access to the people who create the itineraries. There's much comment on this forum about same old-same old ports on sailings. I think it's a very positive thing for Bonnie to ask the people who love and sail Azamara what THEY want to see.

I completely agree.

Sent using Tapatalk

Shouldn't the choices be ports that are not "hub" ports like BsAs since you can simply just come a day earlier or stay a day later anyway? What is the advantage of staying on the ship instead of a hotel room (presumably at a lower per diem rate) that one extra night?:confused:

Tell us: Which destination would you most like to explore at night?

- Bangkok, Thailand

- Shanghai, China

- Belfast, Ireland

- Buenos Aires, Argentina

- Mykonos, Greece

Let us know in the comments!

Would you mind sharing with us why our choice of destinations is so limited?

Walking along the Bund, in Shanghai, at night, is just wonderful. The illuminations are spectacular; there's a buzz with plenty of people out and about and dinner cruise boats on the river; :)it feels very safe and the ship's shuttle bus stops right there. Great photo opportunities.

Hi Everyone,

While I agree that these sorts of questions might be considered by some as PR - I'm very pleased that Azamara is asking for our opinions. Not sure why questioning their motives must be a part of the equation for some, as it makes sense for them to seek our input.

IMO, being engaged with Guests via Social Media is one of the best things that's happened in recent years, for cruise passengers. Larry Pimentel has been one of the most innovative executives within Social Media, and he deserves huge credit for his efforts. Some other lines I follow closely, treat Social Media as if it's a disease. They have a presence, but make a very weak effort.

Let's be pleased that Azamara appreciates our insights.

Edited by Host Andy

A big thank you to everyone who voted on this poll. Looks like Shanghai, followed by Buenos Aires are the favorites here.

This poll was also posted on our FB page, and results will be combined.

In line with this discussion I see that Cruise Critic has posted a good article "Making the Most of Your Overnight Port Call".

They highlight one port on 5 continents: Venice, Singapore, Buenos Aires, Miami and Sydney.