Midnight chocolate buffet- No but chocolate other times

Dress in white night - No

Ice sculptures - Yes

Towel animals - Sometimes

Chocolates on your pillow - Always

Arranging your nightwear on turndown - No, thank goodness

Hi all,

Just wondered if Princess do the following events:

Midnight chocolate buffet Nope, but on my last few cruises, there were elaborate buffet spreads (themed -- Mexican, Asian, dessert, etc.) either during lunch by the pool on sea days or at the ultimate deck party. I prefer this over what I experienced on my first cruise on Carnival -- you had to wait in along line just to look (or take photos) and then you had to go in another line after that in order to be able to partake of the food. And that was late at night.

Dress in white night Don't even know what that is. And I imagine that if you don't have an elaborate white outfit...Or don't want to pack another outfit...

Ice sculptures Keep checking the Patter every sea day and you may see a demonstration listed.

Towel animals Haven't had them on any of our Princess cruises, so it's probably if your cabin steward does them

Chocolates on your pillow Yep.:)

Arranging your nightwear on turndown

Nope, and that would seem very creepy to me.

Kind of unfair to label the fact that Princess does things differently from other lines as a "cut back". The only thing that may fit that category is the gradual disappearance of Dessert Extravaganzas (from the other lines in your signature as well as Princess) which are ridiculously wasteful, their cost well spent elsewhere.

I do believe the "White Party" is a registered trademark and can only be held on the cruiselines that obtain permission to use it.

Saw no ice sculptures last week on Ruby Princess--but as it was Thanksgiving week perhaps the turkey carving demonstration was considered a substitute.

You will likely see towel animals only if (1) there is a child in your cabin; and (2) your steward previously worked for another line where they had been trained to fashion them.

Chocolates will appear on your pillow every night: adequately sized, in a custom Princess foil wrapper, but all the same flavor.

Arranging of nightclothes? Perhaps this is still done when a ship is based in the UK--but anywhere else in the world the cabin stewards will never remove any item from a drawer or hanger in fear of (justifiably) being reported to security for rifling through a passenger's personal property.

I guess each cruise line offers different extras/events, and some may have cut back.
Seeing as how Princess either never had or hasn't had some of these for years doesn't mean it's a cutback. Up until about three years ago, the Princess buffet was open 24/7 so technically, there was a midnight buffet as well as a 1am, 2am, etc. The International Cafe is open 24/7 and since only a few people went to the buffet after 11pm, it was a waste of food and staff standing around doing nothing. The Princess buffet is now open continuously from 6am-11am. Most other lines I've taken, the buffet is open from maybe 6-9am, 11:30am-2pm and from 5-8pm. Seems to me that they are the ones who have cut back since their buffet is open only a few hours a day.

Never seen a towel animal on Princess, thank goodness. I've had them on other lines but felt violated when the cabin stewards went into my drawers to get stuff to dress them up. IMHO, that's theft. I shudder whenever I think of stewards going through my things.

Edited by Pam in CA

Chocolates will appear on your pillow every night: adequately sized, in a custom Princess foil wrapper, but all the same flavor.

Red heart - milk chocolate

Blue square - dark chocolate

Silver circle - mint flavored chocolate

Red heart - milk chocolate

Blue square - dark chocolate

Silver circle - mint flavored chocolate

I don't recall any other than the blue squares last week on the Ruby.

First thing tomorrow morning I will phone Jan Swartz personally to find out why :rolleyes:

Edited by fishywood

One of my mother's friends told her about how the cabin steward would arrange her nightgown into a rose before my mother took her first cruise. My mother decided she'd hide her nightgown so that this would not happen.

I still remember a picture my mom took of her nightgown tucked into her pillows on their first cruise in the 70's. I'm so grateful they don't do that anymore.

Our first cruise on the Ruby in '06, we got towel animals 3 times, but we haven't seen one since.

Thanks for your comments all. Can't remember the cruise lines, but I have had my nightie laid out on the bed, arranged with curves to show a waist. The steward didn't go through my belongings, I think it was hanging on the bathroom door. Towel animals have had our sunglasses on, again these were on the counter. Good to know princess do chocolates on the pillow. I know we haven't always had these, but can't remember which lines. Looking forward to the muts, not sure other lines do this?

Thanks for your comments all. Can't remember the cruise lines, but I have had my nightie laid out on the bed, arranged with curves to show a waist. The steward didn't go through my belongings, I think it was hanging on the bathroom door. Towel animals have had our sunglasses on, again these were on the counter. Good to know princess do chocolates on the pillow. I know we haven't always had these, but can't remember which lines. Looking forward to the muts, not sure other lines do this?

The nightie arranged to show a waist is creepy to me. JMHO

We've sailed on Carnival quite a few times, and of course they always do towel animals. My wife liked them and at times would add to them with rolled up small bills intended to be an extra tip for the room steward. The problem is, room stewards have very specific rules on what can be picked up as a tip, and in the mouth of a towel animal isn't one of them. They can't just pick up cash laying around as a tip. I believe it has to be placed on your pillow.

So, instead of euthanizing ... er.. I mean recycling the previous night's critter, he just kept adding new ones until they took over the cabin. It took us a while to figure that one out. If you want to give your steward an extra tip, it is best to just hand it to them. ;)

Edited by James in SA