RCCL just said FOS Eastern could "possibly" turn Western

We are right after you sailing a modified Eastern itinerary on the 21'st. It will be very close on times as they are currently only able to have a max speed of about 18.5 to 18.9 knots that I have seen

The biggest issue is getting back from St. Maarten to Canaveral in time.

Unfortunately they don't tell the people that answer the phones a whole lot.

Maybe they will just cut the St Martin port time down??:confused:

I'm guessing I would be upset too if they changed our cruise around. But not so much with this one. We have done FOS 6 times with only one Eastern, and will probably never do an Eastern again with her. We missed Coco Cay due to choppy seas and that was an expensive cruise for just two stops ! Also, if you want to put things in proper perspective , we have another winter storm coming Wednesday and Thursday, so while you are frolicking on the beach, we will be digging out, again ! Enjoy !

I took this picture while on FOS in May. It shows the distances between each port on both the Eastern and Western routes. If you use 18 knots as the average speed FOS can do with one prop missing (as opposed to 22 knots that she normally does), the time between ports gets really interesting :)

FOS Distances.pdf

Personally I'm with you that an Eastern itinerary is the preferable one....however...you gotta learn to roll with the punches! "Devastating" seems a bit extreme when you'd still be getting a perfectly good vacation out of the deal. Would it be what you originally envisioned, well probably not. But you'd find something to do. Be spontaneous. It's not like the Western ports are barren wastelands. Take that 2yo to the beach already! Put the grandparents on a bus tour. You'll be fine.

Also, please try to relax about what your agent heard through the grapevine "may" happen. I'm sure we can think of far worse "mights" that could occur to a cruise!

No idea. If they followed the East/West rotation we should have had a Western itinerary.

We have a modified Eastern. Labadee, San Juan and St. Maarten.

Now if we could only convince them to make that route a regular alternating eastern once they get out of dry dock, I'd be one happy cruiser;)

Anyone get any info yet on where we'll be going next week?? Has anyone called RCI or crown and anchor?

I called yesterday. Talked to CS rep. Was told there are no changes for the FOS sailings from now until the dry dock. We are on 12/28 sailing - Western itinerary to Coco Cay, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

I paid close attention to the last sailing. Repairs were made in Nassau in less than 2 days. Then they sailed on to Cozumel, which is a long run. Not sure if we will be able to make all the ports, but I am ok with that as long as we get a hefty OBC so I can drink for free and forget about it!!

There were no changes to the current 12/7 sailing if I am correct. So that makes me believe everything might be ok for now - or we will just find out when we get to the port on 12/28. Just glad I am cruising, with the fam, for NYE! Fun times!

:cool::confused::cool::confused: :)

I took this picture while on FOS in May. It shows the distances between each port on both the Eastern and Western routes. If you use 18 knots as the average speed FOS can do with one prop missing (as opposed to 22 knots that she normally does), the time between ports gets really interesting :)

the problem is the 1158 miles back from st marteen

I just called C&A and asked if eastern was changing to western route. She said no changes as of now and that would be a very drastic change and they would for sure notify everyone if that were happening. Guess we'll see. Sounds like something has to give even if it's just the time spent in port from folks calculations. So I guess we'll wait and see!

A couple of threads going on with this sailing. Let me clarify a couple of things as we were on this ship. We were notified by email the night before and voice mails about the delays. We had no idea what the issues were until we went to one of the shows and the Captain was up front and honest with everybody on board.

One of the propellers had a bearing issue that was causing the propeller to collapse down and the fear would be that it would come off all together thus costing a king's ransom to fix. The boat docked in Nassau from 12pm Day 2 until 12pm Day 3 in order for divers to go underwater to fix the issue. That morning the propeller was taken apart and the cruise continued on to Cozumel for 10am next day (1 hour earlier than posted) and on to Coco Cay on time postponed until this past Saturday. We were compensated $275 for our Family Promenade Stateroom, as well a a 25% off future cruise credit. The boat did NOT lose steam and kept up to the 18 knots of so needed to hit all ports. Any questions let me know...

the problem is the 1158 miles back from st marteen

At 18 knots, that's a 64 hour sail. The schedule has the ship leaving STM at 5PM with two sea days and arriving in PC at 6AM - If they stay on ships time, that's only 61 hours:eek:

But, think back to when you were a new cruiser. Many folks are first-time cruisers, or only get to cruise every couple of years. They may have their heart set on a specific location. Have you ever been on a cruise when a port was canceled. If you are like us, you just chalk it up to the cruise experience and enjoy the new "sea day". But, folks who are on their first cruise or maybe only get to cruise every couple years have a much different view of that canceled port. I usually feel so sad for those folks who are crying at guest services when the ship does not make it to Coco a Cay.

I'll never forget, our second cruise was supposed to go to Key West and Cozumel. I was so excited because I had heard about Cozumel for years and always wanted to see it. After we visited Key West, we were told by the captain that a hurricane would make it dangerous to go to Cozumel, so we were headed to Nassau--which we went to on our first cruise (along with CocoCay) and I didn't have any great desire to see again. I think a few tears slipped out, but only to my husband. :p I was mad, disappointed, a whole range of emotions; DH in all his sense asked me would I really want the captain to take us to Cozumel & try to outrun a hurricane?! {Sniff} Of course not! I soon got over it and had a nice little beach day in Nassau with some folks we had met on the ship.

The funny part of this story is that a number of cruises later, I've been to Cozumel so many times they practically greet me by name. :p And, coincidentally, next week we're headed back to Key West, Coco Cay and Nassau for the first time since that cruise, 9 years ago. I'm looking forward to seeing those places again, but as a regular cruiser I've learned to go with the flow, so I'll be okay if our itinerary happens to change.

At 18 knots, that's a 64 hour sail. The schedule has the ship leaving STM at 5PM with two sea days and arriving in PC at 6AM - If they stay on ships time, that's only 61 hours:eek:

So, are st Thomas/st.maarten not going to happen? Could one happen but not the other? Or will they both be cancelled? Any guesses? Trying to mentally prepare for my disappointment :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, are st Thomas/st.maarten not going to happen? Could one happen but not the other? Or will they both be cancelled? Any guesses? Trying to mentally prepare for my disappointment :(

Right now they're showing a Labadee, San Juan, St, Maarten itinerary, with St. Maarten as the last stop. The last stop is the problem. Unless they can average 19+ knots back from there, they'll get back to PC 2-3 hours late.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by orville99

Right now they're showing a Labadee, San Juan, St, Maarten itinerary, with St. Maarten as the last stop. The last stop is the problem. Unless they can average 19-20 knots back from there, they'll get back to PC 2-3 hours late.

Thanks ;) We leave this Sunday, our itinerary is Coco Cay, St Thomas, St Maarten. With St Thomas and St Maarten so close together, I'm wondering if we'll have to skip both?

Right now they're showing a Labadee, San Juan, St, Maarten itinerary, with St. Maarten as the last stop. The last stop is the problem. Unless they can average 19+ knots back from there, they'll get back to PC 2-3 hours late.

That's close to what I was figuring out. I had it at 64 hours at 18.5 knots but it would be even longer than that as it takes a while to get up to full speed and a while to slow down. Looked at Freedoms times yesterday leaving Canaveral and it took her 2 hours to get up to 17 knots.

I would see having to leave St. Maarten by noon to have any chance of making it back in time. What a crappy stop that would be..8am to 12pm.

That's close to what I was figuring out. I had it at 64 hours at 18.5 knots but it would be even longer than that as it takes a while to get up to full speed and a while to slow down. Looked at Freedoms times yesterday leaving Canaveral and it took her 2 hours to get up to 17 knots.

I would see having to leave St. Maarten by noon to have any chance of making it back in time. What a crappy stop that would be..8am to 12pm.

If they are going to cut back a port time you would hope that they will inform next week's folks in advance so those that have independent shore excursions can change them:rolleyes:

If they are going to cut back a port time you would hope that they will inform next week's folks in advance so those that have independent shore excursions can change them:rolleyes:

They didn't do it for the current cruise. Not holding my breath that they will actually notify us. It appears that they don't care about those that have private excursions.

I'm really not sure why all the secrecy and last minute notification on all of this.

Thanks ;) We leave this Sunday, our itinerary is Coco Cay, St Thomas, St Maarten. With St Thomas and St Maarten so close together, I'm wondering if we'll have to skip both?

They could possibly do it if they reversed the route and did St Maartan first, then St Thomas and Coco Cay last