Do you exercise while crusing?

kandj05

I always workout while cruising, but I tend to avoid the gym... the view is too nice to be stuck inside on the treadmill! Since my family and I never go to the dining room for dinner, I usually decide to run around the track while everyone is getting ready or eating and go to the windjammer afterwards. Then I usually do some laps in the pool later at night. But I have always felt that just being active on the boat and in ports is really helpful.

Wow, this shows me there are quite a few of you who work out. I'm at that point now that if I don't work out, I feel lethargic. Are there also saunas or steam rooms available? As you can see, we previously avoided that part of the ship. :eek:

Absolutely. Exercise just makes you feel good. I feel like a giant frump if I just eat and don't move.:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I am a giant frump (maybe only a large), but I still exercise every day of my life. I have downloaded a bunch of Tony Horton videos (P90X, Power 90, etc) to my iPad and do them every few days, plus we walk, walk walk. I wear a pedometer, and strive for 10,000 steps/day. I've re-discovered the elliptical (we have one in our home gym), which is great for the hip I popped last spring, so will work that in every other day on our cruises, too.

Wow, this shows me there are quite a few of you who work out. I'm at that point now that if I don't work out, I feel lethargic. Are there also saunas or steam rooms available? As you can see, we previously avoided that part of the ship. :eek:

I know there are saunas, not sure about steam rooms. They're in the spa.

Yes. I love to take a workout in the morning, like right at 6 when the gym opens, but many others have the same idea and it gets crowded, quickly. I like to walk on the treadmill for at least 45 minutes and at peak times you can't do that. So... if it starts to get crowded I will get off the treadmill and walk around the jogging track outside. OR.. on our recent 14 night cruise I worked out in the late afternoon and it was not crowded at all. I'd go around 3:30 or 4 pm and it seemed many were either still at the pool, or perhaps getting ready for main seating dinner. Worked out well. :)

The last 5 cruises I have not gained any weight. :D

Always, always, always. I feel horrid if I don't! I like ellipticals, as treadmills jolt your entire body, and then I hit the weights. I am a graduate of P90X, P90X2, P90X3, Focus T25, Insanity, and Asylum. To not work out to me is to not live... I never take the elevator unless I have luggage, and then I dance the night away. On my last cruise last month, I went horseback riding, climbed Gros Piton, went cycling all over St. Maarten, and went snorkeling/swimming. I am in my 50s.

I don't watch what I eat/drink on a cruise, and I never gain weight. It can be done! ;)

Since losing 62 lbs (just before our last cruise), and my DW losing 55 lbs : Yes! We went to the gym - but only on Sea days. We found port days just a little too busy to fit in a trip to the Gym.

However, we always took the stairs - even after a port day - we walked from deck 2(or 3? cannot remember) all the way to deck 9 where our cabin was.

I have found the secret to controlling my weight that works FOR ME... Since I LOVE to eat.. I can control my weight if I spend 60 mins on the treadmill 3-4 times per week. I don't run - but I put the pace at approx 4.2-4.4 MPH(fast walk). I find if I skip a day or two (even the week) - I see 1-2 lbs more on the scale the next week. This correlation is very consistent for me. The only exceptions to this are holidays and vacations where I treat myself to the rich foods/sweets. I am OK with gaining 3-5 lbs on a cruise, or over Christmas - because I take the next 2-3 weeks losing it. Life, for me, is about balance.

Edited by Toddcan

I am just curious who exercises while on a cruise. We have never done it thus far. But we have changed our lifestyle since Jan. 2014 so we will definitely be hitting the gym on the Panama Canal cruise. What workout do you do?

WE choose cruises with the most ports so we get off the ship and walk around! That's our idea of exercise on a cruise!:D

Always, always, always. I feel horrid if I don't! I like ellipticals, as treadmills jolt your entire body, and then I hit the weights. I am a graduate of P90X, P90X2, P90X3, Focus T25, Insanity, and Asylum. To not work out to me is to not live... I never take the elevator unless I have luggage, and then I dance the night away. On my last cruise last month, I went horseback riding, climbed Gros Piton, went cycling all over St. Maarten, and went snorkeling/swimming. I am in my 50s.

I don't watch what I eat/drink on a cruise, and I never gain weight. It can be done! ;)

I was thinking about exercise just on the ship when I first posted, but this is a great post as the ports of call allow for a ton of exercise opportunities.

For a Port Canaveral stop while on Grandeur, I hooked up with a local paddle board outfit. They took the whole family on a good long (but relatively easy) paddle to see manatee and birds on an inland lake. Then, the owner, who is a competitive paddle boarder gave my son and I an ### kicking lesson in decent waves on the Indian River.

I also pack my swim gear whenever a the beach is involved in a stop and have had some amazing swims. On Labadee, I swam out by the breakwater under the zip line. I know folks typically say that the snorkeling there isn't the best, but I had fun schooling with small groups of tiny fish out there and there is some cool anemone and sea life there too. Cozumel was even better at the state park. Technically, you are required to wear a swim vest, but I got in over a mile swim ringing the snorkel area. The north end is fed by a cool stream where there are some different fish than the general snorkel area. Finally, in Grand Cayman while doing the stingray adventure, I was able to follow a couple of the rays away from the general area. They would go out about 50 yards and turn around and head for another group, as if they thought they were fooling the tourists for more food.

We're in Ocho Rios in a little over a week and have heard that people staying in the area have done a great mountain bike tour where they basically take you up the mountain and you coast down, stopping along the way. Unfortunately, the tour is way too long to ensure getting back to the ship in time. I tried to set up a shorter ride where we could ride up and down to get some exercise, but couldn't find a tour company willing for just my wife and I and I am not about to just rent bikes there without a guide. We will likely end up at a beach somewhere, where I can get a swim in.

I like to do a lot of walking on the ship and at the ports. I also bring my running clothes to do a morning run on the ship's track (Oasis-class is my favorite). On the maiden Quantum of the Seas transatlantic I ran a 10K so that I can say I did one while on the Atlantic Ocean. :D

We start by making little strides.

We always use the stairs except on previous formal nights.

Last two years we had a CL on Allure (17th. deck).

Also we walked the track about 5 laps twice a day.

Its a start, we dont lose, but havent gained weight yet.

Mind you , we do not do deserts every night, and watch our calorie intake.

Sea Ya

Since losing 62 lbs (just before our last cruise), and my DW losing 55 lbs : Yes! We went to the gym - but only on Sea days. We found port days just a little too busy to fit in a trip to the Gym.

However, we always took the stairs - even after a port day - we walked from deck 2(or 3? cannot remember) all the way to deck 9 where our cabin was.

I have found the secret to controlling my weight that works FOR ME... Since I LOVE to eat.. I can control my weight if I spend 60 mins on the treadmill 3-4 times per week. I don't run - but I put the pace at approx 4.2-4.4 MPH(fast walk). I find if I skip a day or two (even the week) - I see 1-2 lbs more on the scale the next week. This correlation is very consistent for me. The only exceptions to this are holidays and vacations where I treat myself to the rich foods/sweets. I am OK with gaining 3-5 lbs on a cruise, or over Christmas - because I take the next 2-3 weeks losing it. Life, for me, is about balance.

Toddcan....Congrats to both you and your wife!! Losing that much is awesome but even more importantly is your change in lifestyle!!!

This is the OP person. I want to thank each of you for replying. You have given me ideas, besides just the gym of how I can incorporate exercise while on our cruises. My DH usually hire our own excursions. We will definitely have to look at more "active" ones from now on.

Toddcan....Congrats to both you and your wife!! Losing that much is awesome but even more importantly is your change in lifestyle!!!

Thanks! We are recently empty nesters (2 sons currently on LDS missions), so we have booked another cruise for March. Hoping to maintain during Christmas - it really is a daily battle for me.

Yes, but swimming for an hour or so a day is more vigorous that my usual workout so yes, but not the gym. Im going to try the gym on Quantum though.

However, on my last cruise I did come home lighter than I went with which was very unusual...

I use the stairs rather than the elevators, walk the track and use the gym almost every day. Each day at 7 a.m. there is a stretching class offered and that's followed by a low-impact aerobics class. There are treadmills, bikes, and variety of other machines as well as a full supply of weights. The gyms are so well equipped that I am able to do nearly all the exercises I do at my gym. Have fun!

Congrats on the new lifestyle and enjoy your cruise!

I also want to congratulate you! :D

My wife and I also lost a lot of weight several years ago. I lost 85 and she lost 75. Some has crept back but not near where we were ( we have also aged and not able to do the intense things we were doing). You are 100% correct that we have to balance what we do! :)