Made it to Houston... Emerald Sunday..we hope!

Woody bailey

The thing I love about Cruise Critic is the thing I hate about it... it's like the weather mans weekly forecast - DART BOARD!. We asked three different folks about the weekend weather forecast since landing at Hobby airport and not one (all locals) know- or care. I know I should and must let the cards fall where they will.. but Bayport seems to be a Hell hole for weather delays and I'd LOVE A SIGN!... you know.. the good kind :). Any extra forwarded Karma appreciated.

PS.. Our Son's taught us about Uber. A web based "shuttle" service that I now support as worth your time to look into. Our ride from Hobby to the Hilton at Nasa - $29.70 (including tip). Cab would be $120 (with tip), 40 each on the shuttle. Yes yes I'm aware of the professional careers at stake, but I'm a hard working blue collar fellow that appreciates a $90 difference. Just saying.

Thanks for the info on Uber. I know what the taxis from Hobby to Bayport are supposed to cost, but I was wondering about Uber. Our Uber-savvy daughter is traveling with us, so we were planning on going that route.

Hope you have great weather on your cruise (good karma) We'll be following you in 2 weeks, so I'm looking for good karma too!

The thing I love about Cruise Critic is the thing I hate about it... it's like the weather mans weekly forecast - DART BOARD!. We asked three different folks about the weekend weather forecast since landing at Hobby airport and not one (all locals) know- or care. I know I should and must let the cards fall where they will.. but Bayport seems to be a Hell hole for weather delays and I'd LOVE A SIGN!... you know.. the good kind :). Any extra forwarded Karma appreciated.

PS.. Our Son's taught us about Uber. A web based "shuttle" service that I now support as worth your time to look into. Our ride from Hobby to the Hilton at Nasa - $29.70 (including tip). Cab would be $120 (with tip), 40 each on the shuttle. Yes yes I'm aware of the professional careers at stake, but I'm a hard working blue collar fellow that appreciates a $90 difference. Just saying.

Uhhhhh?

If Bayport is such a hell-hole, then why didn't you sail out of a different port or stay home. Uber is an unlicensed unregulated transportation service. Any problems you may have is between you and the driver with no outside help. You had better hope the driver is honest and has maintained the vehicle. As an blue collar worker you should have a little empathy for fellow blue collar workers.

The weather in Houston this weekend is looking real good with no rain predicted and moderate temperatures. It is easy to look up on the internet.

If Bayport is such a hell-hole, then why didn't you sail out of a different port or stay home. Uber is an unlicensed unregulated transportation service. Any problems you may have is between you and the driver with no outside help. You had better hope the driver is honest and has maintained the vehicle. As an blue collar worker you should have a little empathy for fellow blue collar workers.

The weather in Houston this weekend is looking real good with no rain predicted and moderate temperatures. It is easy to look up on the internet.

Wow, that was a bit over the top I think. Bayport is a hell-hole, but sometimes you have no choice if the cruise you want to take goes in and out of there. You just have to hope that the fog doesn't keep you bound to the port for too long. Lighten up, this is a social media board. If you don't like a question, ignore it.

Actually, the Bayport cruise terminal is a very nice, modern terminal.

It is just not located real close to anything for tourists.

Weather is another question. When it is not foggy or too windy, there are no problems.

Friday evening the NCL ship that is supposed to arrive at 8 AM Saturday came in early due to the fog that is forecast.

Ypou can check the port cam to see if there is fog. http://www.portofhouston.com/cruise-information/live-cruise-terminal-cam/

Uber is an unlicensed unregulated transportation service.

It also now has a market cap of over $40 billion with estimates that it is headed for $200 billion. It isn't going away anytime soon. The drivers I have had are far less sketchy than typical cab drivers. And unlike a typical taxi where you don't know what your fare will be until your ride is over, with Uber, you can get an on-line estimate before you commit to the ride. Not sure why anyone thinks that they are safer in a cab simply because the car is painted yellow instead of black.

We are staying at the Hilton by NASA (Clearwater) and flying into Hobby. The cab ride per the front desk is suppose to be 25 bucks from Hobby. The Cab fare per the online cab fare calculator shows 29 plus a 5 dollar tip for 34 bucks. Where do you get 120 bucks???????????????

Sorry, didn't see your post! We live 20 minutes from Bayport. Here ya go!

Sunday December 7: Mostly cloudy, HI 65, LO 52. 10% chance of rain, wind NE 8-10 with gusts to 14. Cold front due in Saturday afternoon, which means no fog!

Sunday December 14: Partly sunny, HI 71, LO 56. 0% chance of rain, wind SE 12-15 with gusts to 28

Have a great cruise, but remember this, Texas weather can change very quickly. Could be 80 one day and 32 the next!

Edited by DannyMac

Bayport cruise terminal is nice, but too small. You may be waiting in the overflow tent!

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/510/Bayport_Tent_Interior.jpg

Uber Black is awesome!

My other half got in a fender bender with a cab several years ago, surprise, surprise, the cab driver had NO valid driver's license! Competition is a wonderful thing...

I booked this cruise for the last week of February. As usual, we plan to go in a day or two early because we fly out of the midwest and weather related delays are possible. If we get to the ship and don't make it out on time no biggie for us and if the cruise before us is delayed getting in, I guess we'll just go see Houston. It's not like the conditions at Bayport aren't well publicized, so anyone going out of there should not complain.

I booked this cruise for the last week of February. As usual, we plan to go in a day or two early because we fly out of the midwest and weather related delays are possible. If we get to the ship and don't make it out on time no biggie for us and if the cruise before us is delayed getting in, I guess we'll just go see Houston. It's not like the conditions at Bayport aren't well publicized, so anyone going out of there should not complain.

Very good attitude towards cruising and I am sure you will have a good time. The Johnson Space Flight Center is near the port and has an excellent display well worth seeing if you are interested in the space program. Also Kemah Boardwalk is nearby with restaurants, rides etc available all in one location. Have a great cruise. We will be sailing out of Bayport a few weeks after your cruise so take good care of the ship.

After traveling all over the US for my profession, I understand about weather delays having had to contend with them way too many times. We always fly into a port a minimum on one day in advance and more if the weather could be a problem. Now with the delays sometimes in getting off the ship, we often fly home the day after we arrive back in port. It makes for a lot calmer vacation trip.