Another Passport Question.....again

beachsands

My son and his fiance are getting married in March. She does not have a passport nor ever has had one. What is the soonest she can apply? Does she have to wait until after the actual marriage is preformed to apply or are there any exceptions to this. We are leaving in May on a Caribbean Cruise. Is the expedited service any faster?

Thanks, Joel

She could always book the cruise in her maiden name & get a passport now

Option 2 wait until she is married then apply ASAP

Check the passport site to see how long passports are taking in your area then decide if you need to expedite it

JMO

My son and his fiance are getting married in March. She does not have a passport nor ever has had one. What is the soonest she can apply? Does she have to wait until after the actual marriage is preformed to apply or are there any exceptions to this. We are leaving in May on a Caribbean Cruise. Is the expedited service any faster?

Thanks, Joel

Assuming that future daughter-in-law is a US citizen, and the cruise is a roundtrip cruise (from/to same US port), I suggest that she make the cruise reservation under her maiden name, and get a passport, also in her maiden name.

She can get a corrected passport to her married name after the wedding, as long as the passport was issued within a year, for no extra fee.

She could wait until after the wedding to apply for a passport, since she will have 2 months there. Typical return time on a passport application is about 4-6 weeks (but many people have reported 2-4 weeks).

Edited by Shmoo here

She cannot get a passport in her married name until she is married. What she can do is get a passport in her current name and soon after her marriage send it in for a name change but forwarding it with a copy of her marriage certificate.

Easily and frequently done. :)

Be sure to book her flight (if any) and ship reservation in the exact name as it appears on her current ID's.

Edited by sail7seas

son did a European Disney Cruise for honeymoon .. it was a surprise .... she did not know until the ceremony .. he only told her to pack for 2 weeks and they would be flying . . .

spousal unit had a passport in maiden name

he booked everything using maiden name

no problem-o

The expedited service is faster, especially if you apply at a US passport office. DS1 did that and had his passport in a week. You do pay more for that service. That being said, presuming she is a US citizen and this is a closed loop cruise she could cruise with her birth certificate and government issued ID. If she gets her drivers license issued in her married name then she could bring a copy of the marriage license as a "bridge" document (which we've never been asked to show). Congratulations to the couple:).

Thank you to all who replied, I really appreciate it.

My wife already booked the cruise in future DIL's married name. So that's basically a done deal. I will probably pay for the expedited service to make sure it gets here in time. I told her to bring their marriage license, new drivers license and birth certificate. I am also going to look at the birth cert to make sure it has a raised seal on it.

I don't like leaving things to chance. Especially things like this !

Thanks again for the information, I will save it for future reference.

Joel

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you to all who replied, I really appreciate it.

My wife already booked the cruise in future DIL's married name. So that's basically a done deal. I will probably pay for the expedited service to make sure it gets here in time. I told her to bring their marriage license, new drivers license and birth certificate. I am also going to look at the birth cert to make sure it has a raised seal on it.

I don't like leaving things to chance. Especially things like this !

Thanks again for the information, I will save it for future reference.

Joel

Your new DIL will need a certified copy of her marriage license in order to update her driver license and/ or apply for a passport in her married name. Two months could be cutting it close as many states/counties take far longer than that to record the marriage and issue a certified copy. It is probably simpler to change the booking name to reflect her current name, and deal with all the paperwork when there isn't a time crunch. Most cruiselines will do this for no charge before final payment. Edited by cherylandtk