New dining options coming

Oasis will no longer offer the traditional dining that we have all become accustomed to. The main dining room will be divided up into 3 separate dining rooms. You will no longer go to the same table with the same people anymore. Anyone have more info and opinions?

Oasis will no longer offer the traditional dining that we have all become accustomed to. The main dining room will be divided up into 3 separate dining rooms. You will no longer go to the same table with the same people anymore. Anyone have more info and opinions?

Friends of mine were just on Quantum and they hated Dynamic Dining. They said most of the food was cold, it took too long and they spoke with a bunch of others on the ship who felt the same way. I kno wthey are probably working the bugs out of the Quantum, but, I got the feeling allot of folks didnt like it in general. Some were older and had a hard time making reservations too.

Personally, I like traditional dining. I like it when I walk in and the waiter says hello Keith, how was your day. They can still say this in Dynamic, but I like seeing the same waiter each night.... they know that I like the Savory Bites so he / she will have two on my plate when I sit down. They know little things like that...which I like and may not see during Dynamic.

Change is inevitable whether we like it or not and sometimes it’s for the better. However Dynamic Dining does not sound good to us or for the better. I know “don’t knock it ‘til you try it”. However we will always prefer Early Traditional Dining. We did late Traditional Dining once and hated it. Dynamic Dining is just another reason why we will never, yea I know “never say never” sail the Oasis class ships. And with Dynamic Dining on the Quantum class ships we will probably choose not to sail them either. Just hope the rest of the fleet takes longer to adopt the new Dynamic Dining concept. It will not keep us away from sailing with RCI and if we have to we’ll adjust. We love Cruising way too much. But we aren’t Loyal to Royal so we do have other choices.

We usually take at least one cruise a year out of the NY area. Preferred 11 or 12 night sailings and when RCCL annouced on our last cruise with them (3 yrs ago) that "their research and client feedback" indicated that these longer cruises were not what was wanted. There were fewer choices and it forced us to look into alternative lines.

We've been sailing NCL for the past three years and while we hate the nickle and diming (they really do) the frestyle concept is not that bad. I think RCCL has bugs to work out and they seem to be offering several "free" alternative restaurents that NCL would charge for.

Once they work out the bugs I think it will be much better recieved by the public and a one up on their competitor. I for one like traditional but that definately seems to be something of the past

Change is inevitable whether we like it or not and sometimes it’s for the better. However Dynamic Dining does not sound good to us or for the better. I know “don’t knock it ‘til you try it”. However we will always prefer Early Traditional Dining. We did late Traditional Dining once and hated it. Dynamic Dining is just another reason why we will never, yea I know “never say never” sail the Oasis class ships. And with Dynamic Dining on the Quantum class ships we will probably choose not to sail them either. Just hope the rest of the fleet takes longer to adopt the new Dynamic Dining concept. It will not keep us away from sailing with RCI and if we have to we’ll adjust. We love Cruising way too much. But we aren’t Loyal to Royal so we do have other choices.

Before you condemn DD, check "LoutheGlue" thread currently running on the Quantum site. He's presently cruising (Dec.1-12) and he's got some great and luscious pics of the various dining rooms/options that he's so far dined in.

I agree - we need to try this new method of dining. However, it is extremely frustrating to book dinner reservations. Even 8 months out - we could not get a one reservation for 6 pm. Some nights 5:45, some 6:30, some 6:15, etc. As long as we are done in time to make our shows - fine. I just find it hard to believe that 8 months out we could not get the times we wanted. There was NO problem, however, getting the times we wanted in the specialty pay restaurants. I find that interesting. However, what concerns me is that friends of ours are sailing now - and they had NO record of their reservations. Even though they had all their email confirmations, they said nothing till 9 pm. Thousands of dollars spent and this happens? They really need to get the reservation computer system working. Then one week before their sailing - show times were changed, and they had to try to reschedule one dinner reservation. Nothing was available (except pay restaurants) so they had to go to the WJ.

I really am not negative about the idea of dynamic dining and rotating through restaurants, but there is just too much aggravation - NOT what a vacation is supposed to be. I hope things soon get more organized. Likewise NO assistant waiters on this ship which impacts service.

Time will tell -

but thanks anyway....

I agree - we need to try this new method of dining. However, it is extremely frustrating to book dinner reservations. Even 8 months out - we could not get a one reservation for 6 pm. Some nights 5:45, some 6:30, some 6:15, etc. As long as we are done in time to make our shows - fine. I just find it hard to believe that 8 months out we could not get the times we wanted. There was NO problem, however, getting the times we wanted in the specialty pay restaurants. I find that interesting. However, what concerns me is that friends of ours are sailing now - and they had NO record of their reservations. Even though they had all their email confirmations, they said nothing till 9 pm. Thousands of dollars spent and this happens? They really need to get the reservation computer system working. Then one week before their sailing - show times were changed, and they had to try to reschedule one dinner reservation. Nothing was available (except pay restaurants) so they had to go to the WJ.

I really am not negative about the idea of dynamic dining and rotating through restaurants, but there is just too much aggravation - NOT what a vacation is supposed to be. I hope things soon get more organized. Likewise NO assistant waiters on this ship which impacts service.

Time will tell -

This I agree with you. It took me some 2 weeks with the assistance of C&A rep. to complete booking 11 nites dining for 6:15pm time frame for both complimentary and special dining. To compound the problem the C&A rep. was getting frustrated as she was seeing different reserve(s) than I was getting from their website. I had to finally fax my data.

However, the entertainment reserves went very smoothly. The only problem was conflict with some of our dining times. Che sara sara!

The problem with Dynamic Dining isn't the concept, it's people's interpretation of it.

If everyone didn't rush to make reservations and only used the reservation system for special occasions, or to reserve themselves a formal night or smaller speciality then it would be what it is meant to be, DYNAMIC.

You would be able to get a table because people wouldn't have reservations holding up tables especially when a lot don't turn up. The current reviews are stating that many tables empty and not filled because people had reserved.

Regards complaints about food not being hot, I really cannot see how that is to do with Dynamic, to the kitchens and servers it's much like MTD that they have coped with fine and food has been hot, so that's clearly a Quantum breaking in issue.

You've got to remember now that Royal is having to draw in new fresh cruisers. Those who have been sailing for a while aren't going to be cruising forever, and may begin to become bored of itineraries they may have done multiple times already, so by attracting fresh cruisers they won't have experienced these ports or the ships. Quantum is NOT built for current/past passengers. Oasis Class is being repurposed for new cruisers as they are the most attractive ships for families and younger age groups (I'm 20 and would much rather sail Oasis class than any of the others, and that's from the perspective of never sailing Oasis class)

Friends of mine were just on Quantum and they hated Dynamic Dining. They said most of the food was cold, it took too long and they spoke with a bunch of others on the ship who felt the same way. I kno wthey are probably working the bugs out of the Quantum, but, I got the feeling allot of folks didnt like it in general. Some were older and had a hard time making reservations too.

Personally, I like traditional dining. I like it when I walk in and the waiter says hello Keith, how was your day. They can still say this in Dynamic, but I like seeing the same waiter each night.... they know that I like the Savory Bites so he / she will have two on my plate when I sit down. They know little things like that...which I like and may not see during Dynamic.

I am on the Quantum right now. From talking to people who are on B2B with last "week"'s maiden voyage, there were many more problems THEN.

I have had ZERO problems. It's night #9, and each night has been wonderful. Excellent service, fine timing, no problems.

Relax, people. It's just dinner.

:D

Time will tell -

Oh, and we have altered our pre-cruise reservations three times, with NO difficulties. NONE.

Dynamic Dining! You die trying or they feed you like livestock at a trough? Sounds funny. I'll just keep eating late when others are gone, have a nice leisurely meal and send it back if it's not hot. After all, I'm the one paying for the service.I am not a complainer when it comes to dinners but I do expect them to meet a certain standard. We were on 1 ship, just out of drydock. They served cold old food and everyone got the runs and fever and they said "Oh it's a virus!" but they were hasty to clean up, put plastic gloves on servers and put out hot foods. Everybody got well in 2 days. Miracle? I don't think so.

I am on the Quantum right now. From talking to people who are on B2B with last "week"'s maiden voyage, there were many more problems THEN.

I have had ZERO problems. It's night #9, and each night has been wonderful. Excellent service, fine timing, no problems.

Relax, people. It's just dinner.

:D

Good, I hope they got the bugs worked out NOW....

Before you condemn DD, check "LoutheGlue" thread currently running on the Quantum site. He's presently cruising (Dec.1-12) and he's got some great and luscious pics of the various dining rooms/options that he's so far dined in.

I'm not condemning DD. I'm only speaking for my wife and myself. For us it's doesn't sound appealing. For those that like the idea, great.

We were recently on Quantum and didn't have the same kind of experiences that your friends claim to have had. We ate in Chic, Grande, Coastal Kitchen, American Icon Grill, Windjammer and Café Two70 and food was hot, service was prompt and attentive. While we also enjoy the interaction we have had with our wait staff in MTD on other ships, we enjoyed the different menus and the variety of foods available in the elegantly appointed complimentary restaurants and the personable servers we encountered in them. Aside, perhaps, from paying extra to dine one or two nights in Jamie's Italian restaurant, I can't imagine choosing to dine in any "for a fee" venue instead of the complimentary ones. It is certainly a different experience but not necessarily an inferior one, IMO. There has been some speculation that the use of Ipads in the restaurants will permit the staff to know about your special preferences and perhaps those savory bites might still appear on your plate. YMMV.