Lanai

voyagerII

A lanai cabin was an outside on Lower Promenade in a former life. As such, it was smaller than the outsides on the two lower decks.

When it was converted, the picture window was removed, and a sliding door was put on the outside wall. In order to leave room for people to exit through that door, the bed and sofa/desk area were exchanged, with the bed turned 90º. This left a narrow walking space at the foot of the bed. It also shortened the desk, so that there are no drawers. There are two drawers under the beds, however, if you can bend to use them.

You do have two loungers which are reserved for your use outside your door, but remember the deck is public space.

We had a lanai on the Voyage of the Vikings on the Veendam last summer. It is true they are a bit smaller (smaller than the lower promenade deck oceanviews we have had on Prinsendam): no drawers in the shortened desk, no refrigerator (we never use that anyway). But with the two under-the-bed drawers we had no problem at all with storage space. We prefer the bed against the side wall & the floor to ceiling glass door gave a great view. We also really loved the direct access to the deck, which allowed us to step outside immediately when we came to icebergs or glaciers or other scenic spots. Unfortunately it was too cool most of the time to use the deck chairs much, but that would have been great on a warmer cruise as well. Altogether a great idea; I wish they would install these on other ships.

Rick

We had a lanai on the Voyage of the Vikings on the Veendam last summer. It is true they are a bit smaller (smaller than the lower promenade deck oceanviews we have had on Prinsendam): no drawers in the shortened desk, no refrigerator (we never use that anyway). But with the two under-the-bed drawers we had no problem at all with storage space. We prefer the bed against the side wall & the floor to ceiling glass door gave a great view. We also really loved the direct access to the deck, which allowed us to step outside immediately when we came to icebergs or glaciers or other scenic spots. Unfortunately it was too cool most of the time to use the deck chairs much, but that would have been great on a warmer cruise as well. Altogether a great idea; I wish they would install these on other ships.

Rick

I have always wondered about noise from the people out on the deck. Not that they are super loud but these cabins have people passing by the inside and outside of the cabin.

Rick

I know that the glass in the doors is supposedly one way glass but if you have the lights on inside at night and do not have the drapes closed, can the people outside see in?

DON

I have always wondered about noise from the people out on the deck. Not that they are super loud but these cabins have people passing by the inside and outside of the cabin.

We didn't find noise to be a problem at all. At night you have to keep the curtains closed to be sure no one sees in (the glass is reflective in the daylight), but noise wasn't a problem. At least not from the deck outside; there was noise periodically from what sounded like plumbing.

We met people who had booked a lanai cabin on the Veendam. They were very outgoing and just loved to talk to people. They met in the evening for a glass of wine and had a great time with a similar group of newfound friends. It was the perfect cabin for them. But not everybody out there was that gregarious. It's not a requirement for the lanai cabins. ;)

Lanai cabins are great for the people that book them but not for the rest of the ship as there are very few deck chairs for others. If you are on a ship that have Lanai cabins do not expect to sit on the lower prom deck and watch the sea go by unless you get there early and stay late.

Lanai cabins are great for the people that book them but not for the rest of the ship as there are very few deck chairs for others. If you are on a ship that have Lanai cabins do not expect to sit on the lower prom deck and watch the sea go by unless you get there early and stay late.

What you say is quite true on the Veendam. It's not so true on the Maasdam, as fewer cabins were converted from outsides to lanais on that ship.

I haven't sailed the Rotterdam since her conversion, and haven't checked the deckplans closely, so don't know how it is on that ship.

We had a lanai this past August for a Canada/New England cruise. We loved the lanai. We were in the Veendam. There were times that people were in our reserved chairs but we didn't mind. I think they chose our chairs because we were in a very central mid ship location. As to what others have said about not having any deck chairs available to passengers who were not booked in the lanai rooms, I did not see this. We walked the deck every day and very rarely saw anyone in the deck chairs (reserved or not). Maybe it was because it was very port intensive but on our cruise the promenade deck was like a ghost town.

I was on the Rotterdam for 120 days. Indeed most were gracious if I needed to sit for a minute to rest but some were not and promptly shooed me off their RESERVED chairs. Most , but not all non reserved, were aft and forward in the partial obstructed area.