Arrival in Papeete at Daybreak

Minoushka

Like I said we will play it by ear ..my TA cannot get straight answers neither can I no matter how much pre cruise research I do .Speaking and of course reading and writing French has enabled me to book tours just about everywhere and I am looking forward to those .Yes the beautiful waters of the South Pacific,the fish and coral beckon me ...i love snorkeling,my precsription mask .,snorkel a nd water shoes are with me ....not taking any chances they stay with me

I am looking forward to this cruise ...it is a dream cruise for me ...French Polynesia ....so thanks to all well wishers and positive people

Merci

Michele

I will write about it here when I come back

Am I missing something here. I am under the impression that If you get a day room it is available when you arrive at hotel? Perhaps I am wrong. Michele, you are not giving anyone a chance to help you. I understand the expense but I also feel that if I pay this much for a trip I am going to make it the most enjoyable possible and would love to take a cab to hotel, take a shower and just leisurely sit and wait for boarding time. Even if it says you can board at a certain time, your room may not be ready at that time. I am afraid you are setting yourself up for disappointment, and that alone is your problem. Everyone has tried to help you here.

You are not missing anything. What we were trying to explain to her is that a "Day Room" is available in the early a.m. and usually you keep the room until about noon. This was not about PG but about helping Michelle having a relaxing, no stress vacation. Oh well...

Like I said we will play it by ear ..my TA cannot get straight answers neither can I no matter how much pre cruise research I do .Speaking and of course reading and writing French has enabled me to book tours just about everywhere and I am looking forward to those .Yes the beautiful waters of the South Pacific,the fish and coral beckon me ...i love snorkeling,my precsription mask .,snorkel a nd water shoes are with me ....not taking any chances they stay with me

I am looking forward to this cruise ...it is a dream cruise for me ...French Polynesia ....so thanks to all well wishers and positive people

Merci

Michele

I will write about it here when I come back

Yes, South Pacific is wonderful. Last Feb. spent 4 extra days before our cruise. (2 days in Moorea and 2 days in Papette in over the water huts. What a great way to begin a cruise.) Takes all the stress out. Then 18 days on Marina. :):)

When we were disembarking Marina last April, new arrivals were checking luggage and embarking. I do believe this is the only cruise that Oceania permit embarking and disembarking at the same time, maybe someone who embarked early could supply more information. My only other suggestion is at the Ferry terminal which is about 500meters from where Marina docks, there is a cafe, where you could wait and have a coffee until you board. We waited at this cafe before we got ferry over to Moorea. But I am sure with a charter flight Oceania will have made provision for you all.

I would hope so if logic prevails ...however no one official seems to know .they dd mention a hspitality suite or centre but will only transport those who paid 129$..per person ...a little steep ....in a big bus with a zillion people and bags .....:(. to do so .i read it is at the Mairie or City hall .so if that were the option it would be a cab to that and a cab to port .with luggage add ons

We might just head out to Ferry port and cross over to drop off luggage when permitted to

I think right now Oceania has their hands full with the fire on Insignia ....so I will wait until Im told...what is the plan for us ....so sad for those people ....crew,staff pax ........all of my stressing pales in comparison to their worries ...must not be easy for anyone .....

we did the same cruise in 2012, we sailed in 5 days early on another cruise, jumped ship and stayed in the intercontinental till oceania arrived. As stated before people waited at the city hall O checked in your luggage there and transported it to your cabin. O transported you to the dock however its just a short walk and we strolled there with our hand luggage. Everything went smooth and without problems., so much so that we are repeating the same cruise this year! again we are boarding in Papeete and sailing all the way to Southampton its a great cruise and we will all be looked after the way we deserve. No need to worry.

The one different thing we are doing this time as we don't want a stupid arrival time and we cant find another cruise to fit in, so its a flight to London followed by 10 days in Las Vegas a week in Hawaii then 5 days or so in Tahiti, the Hawaii Tahiti flight is a much better option than the LAX Tahiti one.

Regards

JimGib

Well hopefully it will be smooth sailing ...pun intended ....and as easy as that

I do not mind walking to port ..if its not too far ...will give us a chance to stretch our legs

I do have a small wheely and travel purse ..i can handle that Im sure

Thanks for encouraging words ...much appreciated

We booked a day room after our cruise on the PG in September. The day room is not available until after noon, so we took a two hour bus tour first and then went to the IC. It may be possible by calling the hotel directly to book "day use of the facilities" where you can use a transit room to shower and change. We used one of these on our way in to our cruise before our room was available. It was very nice.

I have never booked a day room but most hotels have them for early arrivals like 8 am to mid afternoon

Is this different in FP??

I noticed the Sofitel at LHR have them ...hours are 8am to 6 pm

You would think any hotel where early flights seem to be the norm they would have similar hrs

I would hope so if logic prevails ...however no one official seems to know .they dd mention a hspitality suite or centre but will only transport those who paid 129$..per person ...a little steep ....in a big bus with a zillion people and bags .....:(. to do so .i read it is at the Mairie or City hall .so if that were the option it would be a cab to that and a cab to port .with luggage add ons

We might just head out to Ferry port and cross over to drop off luggage when permitted to

I think right now Oceania has their hands full with the fire on Insignia ....so I will wait until Im told...what is the plan for us ....so sad for those people ....crew,staff pax ........all of my stressing pales in comparison to their worries ...must not be easy for anyone .....

So basically Oceania offered a solution, transportation with a hospitality area, but you did not want to pay for it. You chose to be on your own until boarding. It that case do not expect Oceania to do anything. A good part of the transfer fee is probably for the hospitality area so I don't know if you can use it if you have not paid for the transfer.

Now it will probably take a good 30 minutes to an hour to get through immigration depending upon where you are in line and if the Charter lands before or after any other early morning flights. Last time I was there we were about halfway in the line and it too us 45 minutes to get through.

Your choices come down to where do you want the taxi to take you. It is really a question of how soon can you drop off your luggage and where you want to wait. The pier is right behind the tourism office. About a block walk from the ferry terminal. I would go to the pier. Ask then when you can drop off your luggage and when check in time is. Based upon that would either wait there (if the luggage drop off is soon) or walk to the ferry terminal and wait there. Once you can drop off luggage I would walk the two blocks to the market area. Keep in mind that in Papeete just about everything is town is closed on Sunday and Saturday afternoon. So as long as your ship is not leaving on a Sunday everything should be find.

If I was having the issues you appear to be having about waiting for a few hours, I would pay Oceania for their transfer.

A taxi will cost you about $25. You should get enough French Polynesia Francs to cover the taxi fare 2400 xpf.

Edited by RDC1

So basically Oceania offered a solution, transportation with a hospitality area, but you did not want to pay for it. You chose to be on your own until boarding. It that case do not expect Oceania to do anything. A good part of the transfer fee is probably for the hospitality area so I don't know if you can use it if you have not paid for the transfer.

Now it will probably take a good 30 minutes to an hour to get through immigration depending upon where you are in line and if the Charter lands before or after any other early morning flights. Last time I was there we were about halfway in the line and it too us 45 minutes to get through.

Your choices come down to where do you want the taxi to take you. It is really a question of how soon can you drop off your luggage and where you want to wait. The pier is right behind the tourism office. About a block walk from the ferry terminal. I would go to the pier. Ask then when you can drop off your luggage and when check in time is. Based upon that would either wait there (if the luggage drop off is soon) or walk to the ferry terminal and wait there. Once you can drop off luggage I would walk the two blocks to the market area. Keep in mind that in Papeete just about everything is town is closed on Sunday and Saturday afternoon. So as long as your ship is not leaving on a Sunday everything should be find.

If I was having the issues you appear to be having about waiting for a few hours, I would pay Oceania for their transfer.

A taxi will cost you about $25. You should get enough French Polynesia Francs to cover the taxi fare 2400 xpf.[/quote

Deleted

Edited by ceba

To pay 129$ per person for a 25$ cab ride is a bit much ...no?

The transfer $$$ is to go to a hotel I think

The Mairie I believe is open to all others ...that would be us ...like I said i will play it by ear

Thanks for all inputs ...over and out

Well hopefully it will be smooth sailing ...pun intended ....and as easy as that

I do not mind walking to port ..if its not too far ...will give us a chance to stretch our legs

I do have a small wheely and travel purse ..i can handle that Im sure

Thanks for encouraging words ...much appreciated

Well I'm sure it will work out, Michele, but I wonder if you should just not pay Oceania for the transfers and hospitality stay.

You really can't walk from the airport to the cruise port, trust me. It's about 6 kilometres, and you'd have trouble finding your way alongside a highway that would be getting fairly busy by 7 or so in the morning, and getting hot.

So at the least you should take a cab downtown to the port--the ship may let you stow your luggage onboard, at least, and then you can stroll.

I totally understand your frustration--there are a few other hotels, take a look. As I suggested before, you could book a room for the night before, and at least use it to have a nap and shower before checking out, then just use the grounds. Have you been in touch with, for instance, the Tahiti Airport Motel, Fare Suisse, Tahiti Nui Hotel, Hotel Tiare. Perhaps one of them can accommodate your needs, or some other smaller hotel. Perhaps not luxury, but better than a park bench or airport cafe.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

My intentions exactly ...staying put at the airport or heading to port or ferry port and waiting boarding

If mairie is available ...fine

But I am ready to wait wherever possible ....i will not be alone 2coupkes I met on another cruise are on this one

I have even written to a tour operator to see if he would pick us up at the airport for 8 am give us a tour and drop off at port at 1pm with luggage in tow ...I am waiting for reply

im sure it will be all good

What itinerary are you on? We are embarking on January 14th. Oceania published a promotion for $99/couple USD per overnight room at Radisson including breakfast for 2 and transfers for various sailing dates. We have taken advantage of this special promotion and are arriving January 13th.

Oceania also had this similar promotion when we disembarked last year but it was at the Intercontinental. Check and see if it is still available.

What itinerary are you on? We are embarking on January 14th. Oceania published a promotion for $99/couple USD per overnight room at Radisson including breakfast for 2 and transfers for various sailing dates. We have taken advantage of this special promotion and are arriving January 13th.

Oceania also had this similar promotion when we disembarked last year but it was at the Intercontinental. Check and see if it is still available.

No it was not available for our cruise from the start

I will continue on the 14 th ...see you on board

No it was not available for our cruise from the start

I will continue on the 14 th ...see you on board

Sorry for your troubles. This promotion was not available at the start of our booking but when we saw it on Oceania's website in October, we called our TA immediately who in turn contacted her Oceania rep in Toronto and things went into motion. Our flights were changed to tie I with this promotion. Hope this is not too late for you to make similar travel alterations.

Did you book directly with O or used the services of a TA? Any concerns we have, we always direct them to our amazing TA. We usually research possible available flight options and share that with our TA, who again forwards the info to Oceania. With this particular itinerary, we are flying to LA with a connecting Air Tahiti Nui flight to Papeete.

Are you sailing on the 10 day FP itinerary or continuing the onto a further destination? We are disembarking in Auckland, NZ.

Edited by plimsol

Smart move. Takes a lot of the stress out of traveling so far and arriving at the crack of dawn. :):)

If I were to arrive that early - as I did 3 times before - I would ask my travel agent to book a hotel + ride for one or several nights before the embarkation. Same at the end of the cruise.

If I had no time to arrive a few days early, I would take the ship's transfer.

Option 3 is to book a day room. I can't imagine that no hotel offers a day or transit room. Option 4: Book the room for the previous night with a late check-out and use it all morning.

It's not necessary to pick one of the expensive high end hotels, there are more moderately priced options in town in walking distance to the pier... not that they are really low, low cost. Nothing is cheap in Papeete.

This is my first Oceania Cruise .so far not impressed by Oceanias organizational skills

We are arriving on a charter flight at 6 am .boarding starts at noon or 1 pm .There is no terminal to speak of where we could sit in relative comfort ..so what are we supposed to do until 1 pm ?

Getting a hotel room not available till the pm is retarded ....lugging luggage anywhere is not exactly feasable

Tour operators do not want big bags ...

So pray tell what does one do ..shlepping big luggagecarryons,travel pillowspurse,and winter jackets ....

I hope NCLCorrects this ...terrible first i mpression of a "luxury"line

Hi

As indicated in your message about rain in Tahiti and my response to it maybe you should realise that this early arrival somewhere in the world is a common issue.

In many places of the world flights arrive around 5:00 - 6:00am and many hotels(unless you pay a premium or for the night before) will not let you check in till after 2:00pm. So you are stuck with luggage and the same clothes you have been in for hours. This is the real world today.

The same applies for late night flight departures where you have to wait all day after being kicked out of hotel at 10:00am unless you pay more.

We had same issue in Papeete and we just rolled up to a hotel and had them store it for us and then went back later. We actually had a continental breakfast (toast, juice and coffee) there also and relaxed till we had to leave to embark. Had access to bathrooms. I also believe Oceania sometimes arrange things in Papeete.

We have learnt that one just has to go with the flow associated with international travel.:)