My long awaited Carnival vs RCCL comparison...

Redsfan

Posted this on Carnival as well:

Not that anybody will remember this but 2 years ago or so we booked RCI Freedom of the Seas as we wanted for ourselves to see if the price difference between the two lines makes sense for our family. First a bit of background.

We are a family of 5, 3 girls aged 5, 7 and 13. Our previous 3 cruises on Carnival which we enjoyed, but not overwhelmed aside from aspects on the Breeze. Typically Royal is anywhere from $500-$800 more expensive which we did not want to pay due to budgets, etc. Our cruise on Freedom of the Seas wounds up running us $2,360 or so for a 7 nighter which is a no brainer on any ship almost. We did enjoy ourselves despite the issues Freedom is having right now, as our itin was changed last minute and we were compensated 25% off next cruise voucher and $275:

Food: IMO pretty much the same quality. Food in the dining room I give the edge to Royal, while I like Carnival's buffet and overall layout of the Lido on the ships we have been on. On Freedom of the Seas you cannot sit outside with a meal and if you want a soda machine drink and sitting by the pool you have to get a shirt on and walk a bit. No 24 hour ice cream on Royal, and no popcorn with late night movies. Love that on the Breeze

Entertainment: Royal seems to gear itself to a more mature audience which was expected. Only 1 night of comedy which was disappointing, but the singers/entertainers overall seem much better than Carnival's. That being said the music is geared towards an older crowd which we are not really. Royal has steel drums by the pool twice a day on port days which I love and Carnival still is missing the boat with not having them

Cleanliness: Both seem on par with each other

Friendliness of staff: if you put me on a ship I wouldn't know which was which as both are always friendly and good

Outdoor Entertainment: Royal does not have waterslides, however, their pools are larger, have the rock climbing wall, flow rider. Their H20 zone for kids is fantastic with their own hot tubs, different swimming pools that my kid's would stay in all day. Add the sports zone, overall I think Royal has Carnival beat on the boats I have been on

Food options: We did not do specialty dining but I love the Cafe Promenade on Royal. Mixed in with the boutiques you have Ben and Jerry's, Bars, Pizza restaurant, Cafe with Starbucks as well as little bite size sandwiches and desserts (free of charge except Ben and Jerry's and Starbucks)

Camps: Both I see on par with each other, as my two youngest kid's enjoyed themselves immensely

Overall I can see why Royal is a bit more expensive than Carnival, however, I do not see them as that much superior as I was led to believe before we booked with them. From what I read both lines have made cutbacks that have made regular cruisers mad, so the experiences seem to be more similar than not. I view Freedom of the Seas on par with a newer Carnival ship like Dream or Breeze and don't see an awful lot different.

Not sure I would spend the $500+ to go on Royal again, but dollar for dollar I would if the boat/itinerary was of interest. Likewise, would definitely give Carnival another shot if the sailing was appealing for us...

Wow your review is super accurate in my opinion, but the only way for me to sail with carnival is if I get on the newest ship that they have. Otherwise I will notice more differences than similarities among them

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad to hear you had a good cruise and agree with you in most areas - Especially with all of the Carnival casual food options. I miss that on every Royal ship.

Most agree that the difference between the two lines is small in most areas. Carnival has consistent pricing. Royal plays games with "sales". Getting the best travel deals requires a flexible schedule.

Royal has the edge in ship design. (curves, art work, colors, technology..) Carnival is sharp edged and brash. But Royal has shifted toward the "mega" ship market now. (since 1999 every Royal ship has been the "biggest"). All new Royal builds will be Oasis Class or Quantum. These new ships will likely force Royal to raise pricing.

So far Carnival's continues with the Magic/Dream/Breeze design. If you're happy with the traditional designs and can get a great value - go or it. But packing 4000 guests on a 135000 ton ship (with only two small pools) was not the best cruise experience for me.

Most of us will have a great time - regardless of the ship - just being on a cruise vacation!!

Nice comparison we are platinum on Carnival and have decided to return to Royal, mainly because we just wanted a new experience.

I've not sailed Royal in about ten years, I'm anxious to see the comparisons myself

Thanks for taking the time to do this (FYI, the breeze is our favorite ship so far)

We do love RC but also enjoying the newer Carnival ships out of Port Canaveral and they do have better prices. Personally I like the desserts better on Carnival. Sunshine has the wok, Italian,taco bar and Guy Fieri for lunch and all were outstanding.

Always go to show productions and feel Carnival's is geared to a younger crowd but enjoyed both.

Since New Year's Eve is an expensive time to cruise we are going on our 3rd Family NYE cruise on Carnival Sunshine so will let you know how it compares to last year's Enchantment where we welcomed in the New Year.

Traveling with 9 and 13 year old grandchildren and their parents. Last year we also had teenagers. Everyone had a blast.

I agree with just about everything said, except for 2. Carnival also nickles and dimes, and on the Dream, the Lido buffet, especially at breakfast was a disaster. Long lines, only half open, and for the first time on any cruise, the bacon seemed like it was 3 weeks old, and they served it, not letting you take what you wanted.

Good review / comparison.

Wow your review is super accurate in my opinion, but the only way for me to sail with carnival is if I get on the newest ship that they have. Otherwise I will notice more differences than similarities among them

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I agree.

We liked the Carnival Breeze, but we will wait for the new Carnival Vista (Spring 2016).

--------------------------------------------------

My opinion after 10 cruises in 3 different cruise lines (Royal, Carnival, and Disney) is that the RC Liberty of the Seas is the best overall cruise ship that we had been.

1)Best good looking cruise ship: RC Liberty of the Seas, and RC Independence of the Seas - They look great from the outside, and on the inside, and amazing Promenade.

2)Best Shows: RC Liberty of the Seas (Encore: And Ice Spectacular Show; Saturday Night Fever Broadway Musical; and In the Air show).

3)Best Entertainment and Activities: RC Liberty of the Seas (World Premier 3D Movie, Parades, rock climbing wall, flow rider, H20 zone, etc...)

4)Best MDR Food: RC Liberty of the Seas.

5)Best Buffet: Carnival Breeze (Guy's Burger Joint, Blue Iguana Cantina, Mongolian Wok, Jimmy's C-side BBQ, Carnival Deli, etc...).

6)Best Service: Royal Caribbean

7)Best itinerary: RC Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean)

8)Best children's programs: RC Independence of the Seas (Adventure Ocean) has best staff, kids parade & talent show.

9)Best cruise for kids: Disney Dream (Characters, Theme Restaurants, Fireworks, etc...)

In Conclusion, we still feel like we did in 2003 after our first Royal Caribbean Cruise, and experienced our first WOW!!! :D

Ditto! my pvp keeps sending me mails, but I have told him a couple of times that I don't have any interest for the time being in sailing on Carnival. WIth prices so low, it's HAL or Princess and of course Royal Caribbean for now. When Vista comes out I'll jump on that one.

For those who have cruised more often, a major difference is the two loyalty programs where there is no comparison - RCCL far exceeds Carnival. Carnival seems more interested in marketing to first time cruisers whereas RCCL rewards loyalty.