Rome, Sistine Chapel on your own

Wayfairers

We are visiting Rome for the 2nd time and in port 8a-7p. Last time we visited the normal tourist sites but we were there on a Sunday so the Sistine Chapel was closed to tours. This visit that is the one place I want to see. I'm thinking about pre-buying the tickets to avoid the lines then seeing it on our own. Afterwards we will probably just wander around until time to return to the ship. Thinking about either taking the train or the cruise ship transport to Rome. Any suggestions, comments, tips?

Are you going to tour the museum as well or just try to fast forward to the chapel? If part 1, I'd consider a guide, if part 2 I don't see any reason it wouldn't work, subject to other plans you have.

We are visiting Rome for the 2nd time and in port 8a-7p. Last time we visited the normal tourist sites but we were there on a Sunday so the Sistine Chapel was closed to tours. This visit that is the one place I want to see. I'm thinking about pre-buying the tickets to avoid the lines then seeing it on our own. Afterwards we will probably just wander around until time to return to the ship. Thinking about either taking the train or the cruise ship transport to Rome. Any suggestions, comments, tips?

If your main objective is the Sistine chapel, I think it is a perfectly workable plan to pre-reserve your ticket for the museum (not so early that you have to rush) and then take the regular train into Rome. Read the various posts here on where to get off (San Pietro) and allow at least 30 minutes (45 would be better) to get from the station to the museum entrance.

And of course, another 30 minutes to walk through the museum to the Sistine chapel. It really IS that big....

Do take some time in the rest of the musem as well. And another nearby option if you have time on your hands is to visit Castel Sant'Angelo -- close by and quite interesting. It started life as the tomb of Emperor Hadrian and became a bolt-hole for popes looking to avoid various invaders in the middle ages.

http://www.italyguides.it/us/roma/castle_st_angelo/castel_st_angelo.htm

Are you going to tour the museum as well or just try to fast forward to the chapel? If part 1, I'd consider a guide, if part 2 I don't see any reason it wouldn't work, subject to other plans you have.

Why would you consider a guide if we are also touring the museum? I have read elsewhere that if you are doing both the museums and the chapel, go to the chapel first and come back to the museum. Would you agree?

If your main objective is the Sistine chapel, I think it is a perfectly workable plan to pre-reserve your ticket for the museum (not so early that you have to rush) and then take the regular train into Rome. Read the various posts here on where to get off (San Pietro) and allow at least 30 minutes (45 would be better) to get from the station to the museum entrance.

And of course, another 30 minutes to walk through the museum to the Sistine chapel. It really IS that big....

Do take some time in the rest of the musem as well. And another nearby option if you have time on your hands is to visit Castel Sant'Angelo -- close by and quite interesting. It started life as the tomb of Emperor Hadrian and became a bolt-hole for popes looking to avoid various invaders in the middle ages.

Thanks for the Sistine chapel info. I've seen the info on which train stations to use...some provide Beverly detailed directions.

Do you know if the Emperor Hadrian is the one that built Hadrians Wall between England and Scotland? I'll look for info on Castel Sat'Angelo.

Thanks for the Sistine chapel info. I've seen the info on which train stations to use...some provide Beverly detailed directions.

Do you know if the Emperor Hadrian is the one that built Hadrians Wall between England and Scotland? I'll look for info on Castel Sat'Angelo.

Yes, it's the same guy. He also (re)built the Pantheon. He ruled over Rome at arguably the height of the empire and did quite a bit of building and traveling all over the Empire.

Honestly, no real need to hire a guide. If you can read, you can get a book and read about what you are seeing. OR, get Rick Steve's podcast. No need to hire someone to tell you what you are seeing, unless you are into that. Without a guide, you can browse, stop at what you want, take as much time as you want at something. Definitely buy the tickets in advance - no need to stand in that line!!! Buy straight from the Vatican website - you don't have to go through a middleman.

I love to just wander around in Rome - it's an amazing city to do that! I'll pick one or two "must do/see" things, then the rest of my time is left to the sociological study of Roman life in various neighborhoods ;)

Edited by slidergirl

Definitely second the excellent advice to visit Castel Sant' Angelo. It was a highlight of our recent visit to Rome. Fascinating history, and if you have the time to walk all the way to the top (or even part of the way), you'll be rewarded with beautiful views of the entire city (including St. Peter's).

Have a great trip!

CastelSantAngelo1024x856_zps6a88f36e.jpg

ViewfromCastelSantAngelo21024x658_zps6b9ec753.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

Why would you consider a guide if we are also touring the museum? I have read elsewhere that if you are doing both the museums and the chapel, go to the chapel first and come back to the museum. Would you agree?

You must go through the museum to get to the chapel….. the traffic is pretty much one way. If you go to the chapel and then back to the museum you will be "swimming" upriver INTO the hordes of people :eek: Not a fun thing to do !

We hired a private guide our first trip ….just her and the two of us. She helped us focus on the good stuff since there IS SO MUCH ! It truly becomes what I call "visual overload" ……. she also provided very interesting stories not provided in the guidebooks….. we also did the coliseum/forum in the afternoon so she kept us on schedule without making it feel like she was keeping us on schedule :D We did the museum, chapel and St. Peters in a long morning, then a quick lunch and then the coliseum/forum in the afternoon.

We have since been back a couple of times….. only time since we had a guide was for the Scavi tour (under St, Peters) which is also a fascinating tour.

You must go through the museum to get to the chapel….. the traffic is pretty much one way. If you go to the chapel and then back to the museum you will be "swimming" upriver INTO the hordes of people :eek: Not a fun thing to do !

They generally route you another way going back. Of course, there's nothing to stop you going against the crowds if there's something you want to see.

A good guide can help with three things. One, they may point out things you might otherwise miss, and unlike a book or audio tour you can ask a question. Two, they are very used to the flow patterns of crowds and can sometimes help you be more efficient. Three, if there are long lines at checkin to turn in your e-tickets most of them can get them switched faster and you inside quicker.

If its not busy, may not be as much of an advantage, but we found ours very valuable EXCEPT in the Chapel itself, where it was so crowded you couldn't interact. Hence why I said if the Chapel is your only plan, I didn't see as much value.

Not sure what the going rate is for guides on site, we paid 100 euros for 8 people, at 12 euros PP it was a bargain, but we also booked through RIL.

You can see on the map they provide on the Vatican Museums's web site the route: http://mv.vatican.va/1_CommonFiles/pdf/mappa_musei_vaticani.pdf

HaHa…… I have been there 5 times and that map made absolutely no sense to me whatsoever…… I recognized a few places but I can only imagine how it appears to someone who has never been ! :eek:

They generally route you another way going back. Of course, there's nothing to stop you going against the crowds if there's something you want to see.

Except for the last time we went (with mil in wheelchair) we always went out the back door (for guides only) straight over to St. Peters.

But last time we went out the other door since the wheelchair lift was that way (we also came in that door) and there were people coming IN that door also….. so there were actually people coming in both doors (not the "back" door) and we were "swimming upstream" with a wheelchair :eek:

At least we saw a portion of the museum we had not previously seen altho it wasnt a particularly interesting section…...