Library on Royal Princess (Humor)

Jimbo59

it is definately a trend. Just got off the Grand and their library is now also a tea lounge and games room. Use to be a time when all those were separate rooms. But it is a sign of the times. Fewer and fewer people reading actual books.

I did pick up a book in the library though (they no longer have you sign out the book it is all the honour system) on Uruguay which I enjoyed.

Vickie

And on another thread discussing the upcoming changes on the Island Princess, someone said the library and card room are being combined. The libraries on the Coral and Island are (or soon to say "were") among the most lovely in the fleet, along with the Ocean, and you know the outcome of that!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

it is definately a trend. Just got off the Grand and their library is now also a tea lounge and games room. Use to be a time when all those were separate rooms. But it is a sign of the times. Fewer and fewer people reading actual books.

Vickie

Plus, it didn't seem that they want you to actually READ the book in the library - it was way too dark for easy reading.:confused:

We cruised Celebrity's Eclipse last year, and the thing we thought they did much better than Princess was their library. They are also on the honor system, and it was a very large open area with comfy chairs and available 24/7. I love the feel of books (vs e-readers) and pack a number of paperbacks so I'm guaranteed something fun, and then leave them for other cruisers in the "free to a good home" section of the ship's library. It also frees up weight in my suitcase to fit those cruise purchases for the trip home. :)

I was more surprised they had one. On our last cruises, all lines, the ratio was far in favor of e-books to paper books. Especially for travel, they are just more convenient.
They built the ship for the future as well as now. Like you, my observation is that the vast majority of passengers now use e-readers. I know there are still some who prefer to hold a book but the trend is towards readers. Far more convenient, you can load hundreds of books and not load down your suitcase.

Here's the library on the Regal Princess. Bear in mind, this picture was taken with a fish-eye lens, so it looks a lot wider than it really is! It was also used as a game room. For a new library, it's tiny selection reminded me of collections that have been thoroughly pillaged on older ships!

Library.jpg

I did pick up a book in the library though (they no longer have you sign out the book it is all the honour system) on Uruguay which I enjoyed.

Vickie

Just got of the Regal 2 weeks ago and on the last night, I saw a couple walking out of the library carrying a stack of books no less than six books apiece. Honor system my A**! There's no way they could read that many books overnight. Even if they were staying on for a B2B, it was awfully rude of them to tie up soooo many books at once and prevent others from the opportunity of reading them...

....but my Nook is of no value on a ship for reading. I would use up all my Platinum minutes just reading. No thanks. I'll take a real book with me.

I don't have a Nook, but my Kindle has plenty of on-board storage to take far more books along than I could ever read in a month at sea (without needing to connect to the Internet). And the battery lasts long enough that I don't have to bring the charger along for a 7-day trip.

I do not know for sure, but I would suspect your Nook works the same way.

I like bringing my e-book so that I can have several reading options without adding additional weight or bulk.

I don't have a Nook, but my Kindle has plenty of on-board storage to take far more books along than I could ever read in a month at sea (without needing to connect to the Internet). And the battery lasts long enough that I don't have to bring the charger along for a 7-day trip.

I do not know for sure, but I would suspect your Nook works the same way.

I like bringing my e-book so that I can have several reading options without adding additional weight or bulk.

Nope. Nook books are online. And my battery won't last a full day if I use it a lot (haven't clocked it, but estimate 3 or 4 hours or so...).

There is an offline mode, except for maybe the nook color. Had one for a while before I went Kindle.

Nope. Nook books are online. And my battery won't last a full day if I use it a lot (haven't clocked it, but estimate 3 or 4 hours or so...).

BTW: Great picture, WinksCruises!

Also, here's a helpful tip for anyone preparing for an upcoming voyage: it's oftentimes possible to "borrow" e-books for a week or two from your local library on your e-reader. You'll want to check to see if your library participates.

I usually bring along a paperback as a backup and for beach reading, but then I'll have the Kindle for everything else. I love all books, electrical or not!

....but my Nook is of no value on a ship for reading. I would use up all my Platinum minutes just reading. No thanks. I'll take a real book with me.

You need to swap over to Kindle - no need to be online to read from a Kindle and they are very inexpensive now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You need to swap over to Kindle - no need to be online to read from a Kindle and they are very inexpensive now.

The Nook does not require Internet access to read a book, only to download it in the first place.

Even if the Internet option is not turned off, unless the user enters the info to sign on to the ship's Internet, there will be no Princess Internet minutes used.

Love the kindle. Can store about 50 books. And IPad has both Kindle app and Audible app for audio books.

We travel with 2 kindle paperwhites, an iPad, and two paperbacks for reading on the beach. Have to make sure to download them before you get on the ship tho because the ships wifi is too slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

True. You do not need to be online after downloading your book(s) on your Nook. I have an old Nook Color and used to download several books before the cruise. My husband has taken over the Nook & I simply use my Samsung tablet & the downloaded Nook app. I have a sizable library which we share when traveling together. I've also downloaded the Kindle app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

if you've been good, and ask nicely, maybe Santa will bring you a Kindle.. or you could buy yourself a gift... which is what I'd do