Library on Royal Princess (Humor)

Jimbo59

This is ridiculous, of course the Nook has an offline reading mode. Come on, people. What kind of ereader would it be if it didn't?

Before I travel (by cruise or even by land) I always download 10 books from two separate libraries I belong to on Overdrive. I also keep a few other new books in my arsenal. That way I have at least 25 books to start as well as old favorites etc. on my Nook.

ePub's are a less proprietary format anyway, which is why I like my Nook. Plus when I'm by a Barnes and Noble store, I can go in and read some books for free before I purchase them. Also, I'm not limited to where I purchase my books - its an open format.

Love the kindle. Can store about 50 books. And IPad has both Kindle app and Audible app for audio books.

We travel with 2 kindle paperwhites, an iPad, and two paperbacks for reading on the beach. Have to make sure to download them before you get on the ship tho because the ships wifi is too slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At the present time I have over 130 books on my Kindle account. I usually have about 20 downloaded at any one time. I also have the Kindle and Audible apps on my Ipads. On a cruise the Ipad is used indoors and the Kindle is used if I am reading on the deck or balcony. Also have a number of books downloaded from Ibooks on the Ipads so no chance of being without something to read. I have also purchased a waterproof/sandproof cover for reading my Kindle on the beach 😄

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Dorset Cruiser

Just a side note - most kindles store between 1000 and 2000 books... I have over 300 on mine right now (I don't delete after reading, just file them in a collection).

Love the kindle. Can store about 50 books. And IPad has both Kindle app and Audible app for audio books.

We travel with 2 kindle paperwhites, an iPad, and two paperbacks for reading on the beach. Have to make sure to download them before you get on the ship tho because the ships wifi is too slow.

Just got of the Regal 2 weeks ago and on the last night, I saw a couple walking out of the library carrying a stack of books no less than six books apiece. Honor system my A**! There's no way they could read that many books overnight. Even if they were staying on for a B2B, it was awfully rude of them to tie up soooo many books at once and prevent others from the opportunity of reading them...

Read those books? No Way. They are enroute to the Pool Area to save chairs for the whole family. :D

Bob

Just a side note - most kindles store between 1000 and 2000 books... I have over 300 on mine right now (I don't delete after reading, just file them in a collection).
I'm embarrassed to say how many e-books I have. :) I literally go between my (new) Kindle Voyage and iPad Mini and iPhone 6+. They sync instantly. Those darned free sites send me lists of free books every day and I can't resist. :) Like you, I don't delete them but put them back in the cloud. I've found that I can't create collections using the Kindle app. Edited by Pam in CA

I just got the new voyage as well. Have you tried or figured out how to change the index display away from book covers to a text list? Only thing I can't do from my old one.

To others - note that to use a Sync function as described, that DOES require internet access..

I'm embarrassed to say how many e-books I have. :) I literally go between my (new) Kindle Voyage and iPad Mini and iPhone 6+. They sync instantly. Those darned free sites send me lists of free books every day and I can't resist. :) Like you, I don't delete them but put them back in the cloud. I've found that I can't create collections using the Kindle app.

I just got the new voyage as well. Have you tried or figured out how to change the index display away from book covers to a text list? Only thing I can't do from my old one.
I just went to the "More" (three lines) on the upper right and selected "List View." It's about half-way down the pop-up list. I got the 3G version w/o ads. I'm liking it so much I haven't used my iPad Mini since it arrived. Love the auto-brightness. Also got the origami cover which opens into a stand. I'm never without my Kindle and carry it everywhere. Even fits into a small purse. Anyway, I'm off to book club. Edited by Pam in CA

Ditto on the origami and I put my old paperwhite into an otterbox for more rugged pursuits if I want..

Sheesh, how did I miss List View... Thanks!

I just went to the "More" (three lines) on the upper right and selected "List View." It's about half-way down the pop-up list. I got the 3G version w/o ads. I'm liking it so much I haven't used my iPad Mini since it arrived. Love the auto-brightness. Also got the origami cover which opens into a stand. I'm never without my Kindle and carry it everywhere. Even fits into a small purse. Anyway, I'm off to book club.

if you've been good, and ask nicely, maybe Santa will bring you a Kindle.. or you could buy yourself a gift... which is what I'd do

Might do that. It is a FACT that my Nook HD will not let me read a book I've purchased if I'm not connected to wifi, either at home or other places. That has been shown me over and over. I use it primarily for email and news (only way to get BBC here).

And, really, I prefer the less expensive paper books. Easier to put down and then pick up later and continue where I left off.

Edited by UpcountryTravelers

Nope. Nook books are online. And my battery won't last a full day if I use it a lot (haven't clocked it, but estimate 3 or 4 hours or so...).

That really doesn't sound right. You should be able to download books to your nook and read them later.

Note: I just took a quick look and the Nook FAQ includes this:

1. Can I take my NOOK with me when I travel to foreign countries?

Yes, bring along your NOOK so you can enjoy favorite books, periodicals and apps on the road. Once you have purchased a book, periodical or app in the United States using a BN.com account that has a U.S. billing address, you can download and read your purchases anywhere in the world.

3. What is kept in my Library on my NOOK?

Your library is where you keep everything you want to read and use on NOOK. In your library, you will find:

-Books, magazines, newspapers, and apps you have purchased or downloaded from the NOOK Store

-Books that are on loan to you from a friend.

-Your personal files you have transferred onto your NOOK using a USB connection from your computer or have loaded on a microSD card installed in your NOOK.

Personal files can include EPUB files, PDF files, and Microsoft Office files, such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel spreadsheets.

25. Is it okay to shut Wi-Fi off on my device to read books?

Yes. With Wi-Fi off, you will be able to read books that are currently downloaded to your device. In order to browse, shop and downloaded new content, you will have to explicitly turn Wi-Fi on. You will also need to turn on Wi-Fi to sync and to receive subscriptions.

Ditto on the origami and I put my old paperwhite into an otterbox for more rugged pursuits if I want..

Sheesh, how did I miss List View... Thanks!

ROFL! After posting, I started second-guessing myself that maybe you meant something else. :)

I've de-registered my Kindle Paperwhite and plan on selling it. Anyone interested?

As for the Nook, it's future is very uncertain. I've been reading reports for months that it could be an orphan or not supported much longer. Here's a very recent article from Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/maggiemcgrath/2014/12/04/barnes-noble-shares-drop-after-ending-nook-deal-with-microsoft/

Just tested it on the Nook app on my Ipad. When I installed the app, i was given 7 free books but I had not downloaded them. Just downloaded one, switched Ipad to aircraft mode, ie no wifi, and could read it perfectly. Assume the Nook readers work in the same way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am one of those folks who still enjoys reading a real newspaper, magazine... etc. On my last cruise, on the Celebrity Silhouette, the library was a joke, no selection at all, lots of books just for looks.

Thought about it, cruise lines don't make any money on the library, so not really committed to maintaining it. It is all about money in my book. No pun intended.

I have spent many a sea day on a cruise ship enjoying myself in a library full of travel books... that is a pleasure of the past I guess sadly.

I don't travel with electronic devices. Even this is getting harder to do.

Maybe we can push back, by commenting on our critiques, that still want to enjoy a real library.

If you can't sell it easily, see if your local library will take it as a donation for a senior to use. I did that with my first Kindle (I like to keep one as a backup, so the Paperwhite will be donated after the next one)

I've de-registered my Kindle Paperwhite and plan on selling it. Anyone interested?

If you can't sell it easily, see if your local library will take it as a donation for a senior to use. I did that with my first Kindle (I like to keep one as a backup, so the Paperwhite will be donated after the next one)
I think I can sell it on Amazon for over $100 as its ad-free. :) Just have to list it.

That's surprising. The library on the Solstice-class looks very impressive in pictures.

Like I said, on the Silhouette, it was all for looks... nothing of interest at all. I have cruised on the Equinox and Eclipse... a few years back, much better selection... on a 14 days cruise on the Silhouette could not find anything worth reading. Looks pretty... but that is it. I ran into a few other passengers who had the same experience.

The library on X is not even staffed, they don't care whether you take book or not, so that in itself tells you how low the level of commit is to the stocking the library.

I hope this is not a sign of the times.

Might do that. It is a FACT that my Nook HD will not let me read a book I've purchased if I'm not connected to wifi, either at home or other places. That has been shown me over and over. I use it primarily for email and news (only way to get BBC here).

And, really, I prefer the less expensive paper books. Easier to put down and then pick up later and continue where I left off.

I think who ever is showing you that over and over may not know what they're doing or your Nook isn't working properly. A Nook HD should be able to read books that have been downloaded to it WITHOUT being connected to Wi-Fi!

Make sure your books have actually been downloaded to your nook device and not just archived or stored in the nook cloud. If your nook's memory is full, you may need to move some of the old books to the cloud to make room for new ones that could then be read off-line. If none of those situations is the culprit, take the nook in for service!!

To back you up, this is from the official Nook support site:

"You can download NOOK eBooks from your NOOK Library that have already been purchased."

This from the Nook HD Support site: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/support-nook-hd/379003759

"Yes. When you buy a book, magazine, newspaper, catalog or app from your NOOK, it begins downloading to your NOOK automatically and immediately, as long as there is an active Wi-Fi connection. "

I think who ever is showing you that over and over may not know what they're doing or your Nook isn't working properly. A Nook HD should be able to read books that have been downloaded to it WITHOUT being connected to Wi-Fi!

Make sure your books have actually been downloaded to your nook device and not just archived or stored in the nook cloud. If your nook's memory is full, you may need to move some of the old books to the cloud to make room for new ones that could then be read off-line. If none of those situations is the culprit, take the nook in for service!!

Here are some shots of the library on the Celebrity Constellation last month. I had mentioned in an earlier post how disappointed we were with this particular library.

Here is the English book section, there where the half dozen books are on the left:

ry%3D400

These books on this wall are the German and Dutch books.

ry%3D400

And this cruise came immediately after a HAL Prinsendam cruise with a fabulous library full of books on every subject. Sigh...

I have not sailed on Royal, but will on 12/29. It was mentioned that there are so many places to sit and read on Royal. Where are some good places to sit for reading, where one might find at least relative quiet. Thanks?