When a Cruise ship like Insignia goes out of servie

S&G1968

With what just happened to Insignia, Oceania appears to have made every effort in getting people flights and accommodations in a very short amount of time...

My questions is this... what happens to those few passengers who simply do not fly? Were they boarded on another ship?

Has anyone ever heard of a situation like this?

~Steve

I would think if they did not fly then they are still in St Lucia

Not sure what ship would they could be taken onboard... most sail close to full

Good question though

Is there a medical reason not to fly or just a fear of flying?

I would think if they did not fly then they are still in St Lucia

Not sure what ship would they could be taken onboard... most sail close to full

Good question though

Is there a medical reason not to fly or just a fear of flying?

I think for a medical reason you take what you get... I was interested in a situation like a mechanical failure, fire etc- when a ship must be taken out of service like we just saw. I know on past cruises I have met people who do not fly.

I'm sure they have to be accommodated... has anyone heard of a situation like this- I know Cruise ships don't just break down so this is a rare event.

~Steve

If you have a fear of flying... you cannot just get on a plane and be flown back to Miami... Oceania would have to make another arrangement.

The only other option would be to put the passenger on another Cruise line or vessel.

Is this the case? Did Oceania have to do anything like this for a passenger(s)

Steve

If you have a fear of flying... you cannot just get on a plane and be flown back to Miami... Oceania would have to make another arrangement.

The only other option would be to put the passenger on another Cruise line or vessel.

Is this the case? Did Oceania have to do anything like this for a passenger(s)

Steve

I believe that the Cruise Line fulfills their obligation to the Passenger by making arrangements and paying for return transportation via a common carrier, such as an airline.

Passengers who choose not to accept such arrangements, for whatever reason, are free to make their own plans, and would in most cases be entitled to the value of the Air transportation which they declined.

If you read your Passage contract even those few passenger ships which still offer Line Voyages, such as the Queen Mary 2, market their product as cruises and not point to point transportation, so it is doubtful that insurance would pay for a Cruise as a method of return.

On this particular cruise, but not all cruises, it would have been hard to be onboard without flying.

It left out of San Juan, and ended in Miami, well that was the original schedule.

So even if you lived in San Juan you would have to have gone back there from Miami, which I'm sure you could have worked out by not flying, but not easily.

Of course many other cruises are round trip out of the same port, and can be done without flying there.

I think S & J have the right of it as far as the answer to your question goes.

Well - I suppose if someone doesn't want to fly from St Lucia one could always rent a boat - there are a lot of bareboat charters in the West Indies. Bareboat to Key West. Ditch boat. Rent car. Drive to wherever in the USA. Assuming that is where they are from. If from Canada I doubt rental cars in Key West have snow tires!

there are a lot of bareboat charters in the West Indies.

Ah, The West Indies, using that name gives the Caribbean an Old World charm that it sorely lacks, these days...

144329.jpgAlthough I do remember the days...

Edited by StanandJim

The best thing to do is ask Oceania

I have done exactly that... It appears in this instance that all passengers were able to fly since this was out of Puerto Rico and over to Miami. So all passengers on this trip had to fly to get on the ship or fly back once in Port. Now that might not have been the case but for this voyage it was.

The Oceania Public Relations Person I spoke with said that in the uncertain event that this presented itself for whatever reason, that they would have made arrangements for that individual or couple to get on a returning vessel... there would be no room guarantees so you might be in a empty crew room or an inside cabin. they would address that on a case by case situation.

They advised that they are responsible for airfare in getting you back so they would work with each case individually. They said that this is industry standard. It would not apply to you flying to Italy and then wanting a cruise back. You would have to prove that you have not flown because you are truely afraid to fly and my suffer a Panic Attack and have a heart attack.

So had there been someone on board from Puerto Rico and moving to Miami and was terrified to fly, Oceania would have made every attempt to get them on another ship. Sounded like any Cruise Line would make that attempt.

This is not the case with a medical event... just when a ship is taken out of service mid-voyage.

~Steve

I have found that their are two reasons people won't fly...

1. they just don't understand how an airplane can fly....or the main one..2. They are control freaks and they can't give that up!

I love to fly!

I guess that is why I was an airline pilot for 37 yrs.:)

I have found that their are two reasons people won't fly...

1. they just don't understand how an airplane can fly....or the main one..2. They are control freaks and they can't give that up!

I love to fly!

I guess that is why I was an airline pilot for 37 yrs.:)

Sure, for a Pilot the flying experience has probably improved over the last 37 years.

check-out-what-economy-class-flying-looked-like-in-the-1970s.jpg

Less so, for the rest of us...

article-1246145-0805E84C000005DC-903_634x329.jpg At one time I enjoyed flying; now it is a necessary means to an end.

Even if I do prefer another mode of transportation, however, it is a personal matter and I would not expect others to support or encourage my idiosyncrasies.

A great many things about Travel may induce anxiety today.....take a Xanex and you won't care where you are! :D

Edited by StanandJim

There are valid medical reasons not to fly. Like recent lung issues such as pleurisy or a collapsed lung.

In which case one would probably NOT be on a cruise. What insurance would cover such pre-existing conditions?

If someone fears flying and embarks on, for example, a Miami-Miami cruise that breaks down in a Caribbean port I doubt that any cruise line would be responsible for transportation other than air. What insurance would cover a private charter yacht back to Miami?

Hi All

some years ago we were on Olympia Voyager (out of Port Everglades to the Amazon and back) when, on reaching St.Thomas (U.S V.I) the line went into bankruptcy ! We spent Christmas and New Year in the sun before our return to Florida. A few people did "jump ship" and were able to find a berth on other cruise ships that were in port at the time . Maybe this could be an option , or there they may be inter island ferries that could take you to a larger island.

good luck

regards,

Josie