Can Hubby buy me bottles of wine for 40% discount w his drink package?

SpaLover

Since it will be very clear that he is buying the bottle for you (since he is drinking something else), you may as well ask them if it's OK. I'm pretty sure they will be fine with it and put your mind at ease that they don't think you and your husband are abusing the package in any way. But I hope you will report back either way, since this question comes up occasionally.

No one drinks the same bottle of wine, for every meal, till it's done. Different meal different wines. You might want a white for an appetizer then a red for the main course. Buy both bottles up front, have them deliver to the table each night. No one is going to say anything.

No one drinks the same bottle of wine, for every meal, till it's done. Different meal different wines. You might want a white for an appetizer then a red for the main course. Buy both bottles up front, have them deliver to the table each night. No one is going to say anything.

This sounds sensible to me. I doubt if the waiter will say anything. If he does, then order two bottles of red one night and two bottles of white the next and ask them to keep the bottles for you. Then ask for the bottles when you next sit down to dinner. At that point, the bottles have been purchased and hubby is free to let you have a sip. However, I really don't think anyone will bat an eye when he asks for two different bottles on the first night, so a complicated ruse won't be necessary.

The sticker holder gets a benefit of 40% off the wine they purchase; nowhere Do I see anything about a discount on wine they alone consume. I would think Princess would love to encourage passengers with the sticker to buy wine, as it's likely they'll have at least some and replace consumption that would have come from the drinks plan.

When dining with friends onboard, common sense indicates the parties with the sticker should buy the bottles and share the largess. I am frankly baffled by this notion that the OP's husband shouldn't be a gentleman and pick up the wine, especially given the discount.

Buy both bottles up front, have them deliver to the table each night. No one is going to say anything.
I was imagining that the husband would be drinking red wine by the glass (included in the package), and buying bottles of white for the OP (with the 40% discount). In this case, the husband may run into problems with the "one drink at a time" rule, but I really think the dining room/bar staff will be fine with this, without any sort of hiding or scheming on the passengers' part.
I would think Princess would love to encourage passengers with the sticker to buy wine, as it's likely they'll have at least some and replace consumption that would have come from the drinks plan.
Not to mention that they're still getting 60% of the price of the bottle, which was marked up x00% (plus another 15% in auto-tips, another reason why I doubt the staff will have any problem with the OP's plan). Edited by hawkeyetlse

If your DH buys a bottle of wine for himself, he can share it with you. Sounds like if you drink something different that you should buy a drink package for yourself. The drink package is for the person purchasing the package.

Individual drink package drinks are definitely for the person purchasing it and are not to be shared. That however does not apply to the bottles of wine purchased at the discounted price; at least according to the DR wait staff as well as those in Vines. My DH gets the drink package which he does not share with me. However there is not issue about purchasing bottles of wine at the discounted price and sharing those.

You will have no problem drinking glasses of wine from a bottle your husband purchases off his drinks package. He gets the 40% discount on bottled wine of his choice (under $100) and he may share from that bottle with whomever he chooses. He pays for the wine and you may help him drink it. Enjoy!

Hi,

I am just getting back to cruising after being away for some years but, ....the last cruise we were on (RCCL) in 2013 required that if one had a drink package then both had to have it...I assume to keep one from doubling up and get drinks for his wife/partner. Princess does not require this?

If your DH buys a bottle of wine for himself, he can share it with you. Sounds like if you drink something different that you should buy a drink package for yourself. The drink package is for the person purchasing the package.

Hi,

I am just getting back to cruising after being away for some years but, ....the last cruise we were on (RCCL) in 2013 required that if one had a drink package then both had to have it...I assume to keep one from doubling up and get drinks for his wife/partner. Princess does not require this?

You do not both have to buy the drink package, We were on the Ruby in October and only my husband bought the package. It was also legal for him to buy a bottle of wine to share with me. :D

Hi,

For what it's worth, just one person in a cabin can buy the package on RCI, they removed the requirement for all over 21 to purchase a package in late 2013.

Princess no longer has that requirement either. Didn't take long for them to ditch it too.

On both, packages are priced per person and not to be shared. However, both also offer a discount on bottles of wine to the package holder, and bottles of wine can be shared however one likes.

I had not heard of the details of the Beverage Package on Princess. We have confirmed reservations for two adjoining staterooms (for two couples) on the Island Princess Canal trip in 2016 -- assuming the 'deal' stays the same through then, it might be worth it for one person, just for the wine at dinner (since we'll probably dine together most nights).

I had not heard of the details of the Beverage Package on Princess. We have confirmed reservations for two adjoining staterooms (for two couples) on the Island Princess Canal trip in 2016 -- assuming the 'deal' stays the same through then, it might be worth it for one person, just for the wine at dinner (since we'll probably dine together most nights).

You may want to read up on the beverage package before going that route. Unless the one person purchases it is a big drinker both alcohol a d non-alcoholic, it's not worth it to buy a beverage package for a discount on bottles wine. You can bring one bottle of wine per person in a stateroom, so that's a way to have lots of wine, without spending extra.

The beverage package is $49 + 15% per day, for duration of sailing. Covers all beverages $10 and under, plus discount on bottles of wine. So, if you have someone on your group who is a big drinker, it may work, but if you're getting it for the purpose of discount on bottles of wine, that's a huge overpay, rather than a savings.

You may want to read up on the beverage package before going that route. Unless the one person purchases it is a big drinker both alcohol a d non-alcoholic, it's not worth it to buy a beverage package for a discount on bottles wine. You can bring one bottle of wine per person in a stateroom, so that's a way to have lots of wine, without spending extra.

The beverage package is $49 + 15% per day, for duration of sailing. Covers all beverages $10 and under, plus discount on bottles of wine. So, if you have someone on your group who is a big drinker, it may work, but if you're getting it for the purpose of discount on bottles of wine, that's a huge overpay, rather than a savings.

The concept of the post above is correct but the bolded portion is wrong. Princess places no limit on the number of bottles that you can bring on board. While the first bottle per person is "free", it only remains so until it is brought to dinner at which point it is assessed a $15 corkage fee. So if we are talking about drinking wine with dinner in a dining room, then for purposes of this discussion, all bottles brought on board will cost you $15. So assume that the two couples drink two bottles at dinner each night. Your total cost if you bring on 14 bottles (assuming a 7 day cruise) would be $210 in corkage fees plus your initial investment in the wine. That is likely going to come out far cheaper than $49 per day plus the cost of wine off of the wine list even after applying the discount to the bottles.

Just to add to this - I am a huge espresso and bottled water drinker as well as cans of soda - they add up. This package was a home run for me for wine, water, soda, specialty coffee's as well as cocktails. We bought a bottle of wine each night at 40% off at dinner. Good value for me.

I never knew you received 40% off bottles of wine with the drink package and you can share it with anyone. I don't drink that much anymore so I would never get it. But was thinking it could get out of hand like at Christmas with large family groups.

So, does this mean if you are traveling with a group of ten and all sitting together in the MDR that you could purchase wine every night for the entire group?

I never knew you received 40% off bottles of wine with the drink package and you can share it with anyone. I don't drink that much anymore so I would never get it. But was thinking it could get out of hand like at Christmas with large family groups.

So, does this mean if you are traveling with a group of ten and all sitting together in the MDR that you could purchase wine every night for the entire group?

As long as you are partaking in the wine you can order as many bottles as you like. The mark-up is greater than 40%.