Dynamic Dining postponed for Oasis & Allure

brfan

So, at the risk of repeating info here, can you explain to more about the what is the big difference in MTD, & DD ? We like to be able to go at our own leisure, as we are bringing our Daughter & Son-in-Law with us, and she requires dialysis 3 x's weekly. It will be done onboard, but we want the flexibility of being able to let her rest on those days, and go when she is ready......

So, at the risk of repeating info here, can you explain to more about the what is the big difference in MTD, & DD ? We like to be able to go at our own leisure, as we are bringing our Daughter & Son-in-Law with us, and she requires dialysis 3 x's weekly. It will be done onboard, but we want the flexibility of being able to let her rest on those days, and go when she is ready......

My Time Dining - dining in the Main Dining Room at a time of your choice.

Dynamic Dining - dining in a restaurant of your choice at a time of your choice.

DD they want you to have your restaurants reserved preferably before you board the ship as you do with the shows on Oasis/Allure. Yes , you can book them when you get on the ship but they want you to have a RESSERVATION. There are two lines to be seated , one for those with resservation and one without. If you show up without you my be told to come back at an assigned time given to you by the host. This is where the probles are coming in. It's not the same as anytime dining !

I posted a link on an interview a cruise writer had with the Food & Beverage Manager for Quantum, Director of Dynamic Dining but the mods deleted it, it's unfortunate as it really explained a lot.

Edited by Midwestgal

I just got offa 12 day cruise on quantum last week. Dynamic Dining is functioning much more smoothly than that article would have you believe. You. Can walk up to most restaurants and be seated within five minutes even without a reservation. It is recommend that you make reservations before the cruise but it was extremely easy to change once on board. I don't think the author of that article actually tried dynamic dining and was only going by the bad reviews from the initial rollout. I actually enjoyed the flexibility and choices very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by kevinax

They we're on the cruise so they did try it. Depending on the time you arrived had an impact on the experience is what I take. I've also read passangers reviews and seen many complaints as far as the lack of service in the dining venues from long waits to dirty tables . I wasn't there so I can only go by what I've read or have been told. The same person gave a interesting review of the ship itself.

From the sounds of the article they were definitely not on the same cruise I was on. The article was written a while ago as one of the restaurants they mentioned as being a specialty paid restaurant is free now. Were there little hiccups? Sure. Was it a problem for us? Not at all. We would do it again and much preferred it over a MDR. There were no waits of more than five minutes on our cruise

Edited by kevinax

Well that's good to know that it's progressin then. I believe anytime your on a new ship or things get changed there's going to be hiccups . It will be interesting to see how things progress from here, hopefully we can get updates as to how it's going.

From the sounds of the article they were definitely not on the same cruise I was on. The article was written a while ago as one of the restaurants they mentioned as being a specialty paid restaurant is free now.

The interview for the article took place around the time of the inaugural - two months ago.

The main take away is that RCI is doing things to improve service but that it takes a few sailings to get things about right.

Rgeardless of how much RCI learns from DD on the Quantum, the rollout of DD to Oasis class ships will involve some more trial and error. Even with the best planning, the first few sailings with DD on board Oasis will have issues but they will be worked out as has been the case with Quantum.:cool:

The main take away is that RCI is doing things to improve service but that it takes a few sailings to get things about right.

Rgeardless of how much RCI learns from DD on the Quantum, the rollout of DD to Oasis class ships will involve some more trial and error. Even with the best planning, the first few sailings with DD on board Oasis will have issues but they will be worked out as has been the case with Quantum.:cool:

Yes at least they decided that instead of just "sticking on a band aide" to quick fix the problems with DD, they took it away to study it and with enough study and time, hopefully make it work.

Then, only then, will it go to Oasis & Allure.....but not before December.

I personally think once they make the system flawless there will be a lot less complaints. We really did enjoy it in our recent cruise but I was never a fan of the MDR anyway.

I personally think once they make the system flawless there will be a lot less complaints.

ROFL! Uhh, yeah, I guess if you COULD make ANY system flawless there will be less complaints! Of course, the odds of them EVER getting it "flawless" are less than me winning the lottery! :D

I guess if you COULD make ANY system flawless there will be less complaints!

You've been here long enough to know that if they made something flawless, the complaint level would increase to a point where a person's eyes would bleed.

There is some law of inverse proportionality you have to factor in or something.

You've been here long enough to know that if they made something flawless, the complaint level would increase to a point where a person's eyes would bleed.

There is some law of inverse proportionality you have to factor in or something.

Sad but true. :D

Thank God, it won't be on my upcoming Allure Transatlantic. As one who has been on Quantum: all I can say is, "the sooner they kill this turkey", the better!!!

I don't think they will be killing it at all as they only announced they were delaying it. How long ago were you on quantum? I was on the 1/11 cruise and it was pretty smooth.

I am surprised your early dining was already booked! We aren't booked like I said, until May 2016, and we were offered early, late or MTD. We also had to pay $168 per couple ,gratuities up front....

Interesting as we are assigned MTD too for our April 2016 cruise and never pre paid gratuities. How much do they charge per person?

We were charged $84 pp for prepaid gratuities. But we also booked through accompany that specializes in dialysis services on cruise ships. So it may be different having to book through them..

Ah ok...i booked directly through RCL. But the agent did comment about gratuities usually being paid upfront, but perhaps it was because dynamic dining was assumed (but now its uncertain)

Ah ok...i booked directly through RCL. But the agent did comment about gratuities usually being paid upfront, but perhaps it was because dynamic dining was assumed (but now its uncertain)

That would make sense. I don't mind actually, it takes care of a little more before final payment is due 😉