What success have you had with the TSA approved luggage locks and searches??

FLCruiser25

If I'm using a bag such as a duffle and I want to secure both zipper pulls, I use odd color zip locks. I will use a purple or orange and sometimes use two. I keep a nail clipper in the front zipper pocket of any bag I'll be using zip lock so I know I can cut them off.

Don't pack jewelry, electronics, cash etc Count on anything you check being lost.

Same here. We've lost zip ties along the way but never found any notes inside.

I just use zip ties on flights to/from the USA cheaper than replacing locks

I use regular combo locks for the ship

Never lost one getting on/off the ship

Forgot on one cruise to switch to zip tie at the airport when returning home..bag was searched they left me a nice note;) but cut the lock

I just use a ring, like you put keys on, to keep the zipper from opening. I don't want my clothes all over the Tarmac!!! Because we have soft sided luggage, it is not hard to get into it if someone wants to steal something. Also, I never pack anything of value in my bags. We have been searched, never for a cruise but on an international flight to Frankfurt. Search was in Detroit and a note was left.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

..... Would you leave your car or house open just because a break in might be possible???

Apples and oranges.

My car is worth tens of thousands of dollars, and my house many 100 of thousands. Not the same thing at all as a suitcase worth a few hundred dollars at most. Besides, I don't leave my suitcase unattended in a parking lot or next to the curb for hours or days at a time. :rolleyes:

Never used a lock in my 50 years of travel, and so far, have never had anything missing. Much ado about nothing.

If I were a thief, I would look for suitcases with a strong lock. These are the most likely to have something inside worth stealing. Suitcases without locks, I would figure there was nothing in there worth stealing and would not bother with them.

Edited by fortinweb

While you probably already have the answer you're looking for, I'll throw in my two cents. My family and I have been using the same TSA-approved combo locks since '05 or '06. We still have the original 3 that we purchased back then, and have only had a TSA key used on them a few times, which is indicated from the green circle turning red. I would absolutely recommend them simply for the piece of mind that they provide. Pick up your luggage at the carousel, see the green button, know everything is all good to go.

We've never had a problem with our TSA locks when going onto a cruise ship, but we've also probably never brought anything that would be concerning.

If a thief wants to steal something from a suitcase with no lock, they'll open it and take it, leaving the suitcase intact. If the suitcase is locked, a knife will get into most of the suitcases used today. All they have to do is slit the side open. Then, you not only have items missing to replace, but a damaged, possibly unusable suitcase to replace as well.

Why ask for more trouble for yourself?

However suitcases have been opened several times for inspection by TSA in airports for international flights - I have not experienced checks at ports before cruises and why should the luggage be checked at return?

A note was left by TSA inside the luggage and no mess - my suitcases are always neatly packed and almost no sign of TSA inspection.

Likewise for me! Four times in the past two years our cases have been searched by TSA on the return journey. Although ther is a note from TSA, it does not say at what location the cases were searched, so our cases could have been unlocked and accessible to baggage handling staff all along the route.

I had a TSA lock cut off of my luggage at Cancun airport. They said only USA agents had master keys.

TSA is US only - the TSA approved luggage lock does only work within the US.

Although ther is a note from TSA, it does not say at what location the cases were searched, so our cases could have been unlocked and accessible to baggage handling staff all along the route.

The Notes does only say that the luggage was subject for inspection by TSA. But in general there is a reason for the inspection - normally verifications from X-ray check. And for all inspections I know the reason - electronics or multiple magazines.

My suitcases have always been locked - so I expect nobody else to have can get into the luggage without breaking the locks.

Because they are government employees and the master key was probably a 25 foot walk from their current position and they couldn't be bothered to make the walk. (Or they couldn't find it that day)

The TSA is a total and absolute waste of time and money.

As a former/retired Federal and County government worker--I take exception to your comment. I am not lazy nor incompetent.:mad:

We are not big fans of TSA luggage locks for a few reasons. The universal TSA keys are pretty common among thieves so the locks do not provide much security. And you cannot tell if your luggage has been opened (TSA folks normally leave a calling card) so a thief can easily open the lock, take what they please, and relock. So we simply have a pack of small (but strong) lock ties (you can get them at any autoparts store or places like Home Depot. Those ties can be cut off, but they cost us about a penny. And if they are cut then you know that somebody has been in your luggage.

Hank

We are not big fans of TSA luggage locks for a few reasons. The universal TSA keys are pretty common among thieves so the locks do not provide much security. And you cannot tell if your luggage has been opened (TSA folks normally leave a calling card) so a thief can easily open the lock, take what they please, and relock. So we simply have a pack of small (but strong) lock ties (you can get them at any autoparts store or places like Home Depot. Those ties can be cut off, but they cost us about a penny. And if they are cut then you know that somebody has been in your luggage.

Hank

If you are using a clear or a black lock tie, you can't be sure your bag wasn't opened and then reclosed with a new lock tie. I have heard of thieves having the common color available for just that reason. I use odd colors so I have a better idea someone cut it off. Those lock ties don't fall off on their own.

If I'm using a bag such as a duffle and I want to secure both zipper pulls, I use odd color zip locks. I will use a purple or orange and sometimes use two. I keep a nail clipper in the front zipper pocket of any bag I'll be using zip lock so I know I can cut them off.

Very wise advice. I speak from experience when I say that they are hard to chew off if something to cut them off is not available. :D:eek::)

Edited by fortinweb

We just bought several luggage locks that are TSA approved for $10 each. I'm concerned after reading that they can still be cut off at port by security. I'll not be happy if they are cut off!

What is your success rate with luggage locks and how would you recommend others use them? Someone suggested locking them after boarding and when putting them in the hallway, but wouldn't your luggage be searched upon return and your lock could still be removed and taken?

Does security carefully go through your bag or do they mess everything up that was neatly packed?

Even when TSA has opened our luggage and left the printed note, they don't seem to move anything.

We've had our luggage randomly searched by customs in two other countries besides USA and they have been neat about the way they move clothing.

Since we carry anything valuable in our carry-ons, we never lock our checked bags, not for flights and not for embarking or disembarking ships.

Thank you all for your response! We appreciate it.

If our family doesn't use the TSA locks we may do the zip tie idea. We don't mind our bags searched as long as they don't toss all our stuff around in it. We mainly just want it to stay zipped to ensure that items won't fall out.

If our family doesn't use the TSA locks we may do the zip tie idea. We don't mind our bags searched as long as they don't toss all our stuff around in it. We mainly just want it to stay zipped to ensure that items won't fall out.

A tip for keeping everything neat, packing cubes. I love these things and have used them for about 10 years. They can be found on eBags.

We NEVER use any locks and we've never had anything stolen through hundreds of business and vacation trips, overseas, within the US and on over 20 cruises. I never pack anything terribly valuable and if what I did pack was stolen, so what? I'd just buy more. I have had notes in my bags from time to time that they were inspected. No damage to our bags.

We haven't locked luggage for years--we don't pack anything really valuable in checked luggage. My bag has the note saying it was searched at least 80% of the time--I have no idea why as it's almost always just clothes. The most I can figure out is they check my toiletry bag or curling iron? Things don't seem to be distrubed much.

It was mentioned in passing in an earlier reply, but it is worth emphasizing... It is a good idea for many reasons to pack all of your stuff in 1 gal, 2 gal or 2.5 gal ziploc bags. 1-a TSA or customs or ship search won't disrupt everything; 2-your clothes won't be as wrinkled; 3-you can get more clothes into the suitcase; 4-it makes it much easier to unpack/repack if you have an overnight on the way to the cruise.