Not Your Typical Booze Smuggling Thread

escapethecube

I'm sure this has been addressed, but I just can't find it anywhere.

Smuggling booze onto the ship has gotten so dull...the fun is just all gone. :D These days I typically buy the drink package anyway. But on port days the package leaves me high and dry. So, I was curious, what has been others' experience taking drinks OFF the ship and into port?

I was thinking of a few extra beers in my backpack to enjoy on the beach, but there's lots of opportunity to be creative.

Do you know of Caribbean ports that specifically forbid this? They're always warning about bananas and dairy, but I've never heard about bringing alcohol into port.

Thanks!

Call me overly cautious but I'm not about to tick off the locals at best or break a law at worst and put my entire cruise at risk. I hear Mexican jails are not very nice ;) If it is a thrill seeking experience you seek (your comment about smuggling becoming dull) then go hang gliding, para sailing or zip lining.

Perhaps a failed attempt to be a bit tongue in cheek. Just curious of others' experience taking beverages off the ship. If you have a drink package it's already paid for.

Jane2357's point is right on. Same reason I leave the fruit and sandwiches on the buffet and don't try to bring lunch with me into port. Last thing I want is a run-in with the Mexican authorities over a banana. But I've never seen anything about bringing alcohol into a port.

People use their drink packages to stock up on water to take into ports, where they also sell bottles for a buck. Never thought of taking alcohol OFF the ship, but after thinking it over a few minutes it doesn't seem TOTALLY crazy. A little crazy but not completely.

I cannot imagine dragging around with hot beer in a backpack.

Be a sport........ :) Buy a beer from the locals. They need to feed theirs kids, too.

Along these same lines, my husband sometimes gets annoyed with my bargaining on a purchase ... like something that would save another dollar or two.

He says to me "Do you know how much it cost to put your feet here? Is another dollar REALLY going to make a difference to you?" :)

I'm sure this has been addressed, but I just can't find it anywhere.

Smuggling booze onto the ship has gotten so dull...the fun is just all gone. :D These days I typically buy the drink package anyway. But on port days the package leaves me high and dry. So, I was curious, what has been others' experience taking drinks OFF the ship and into port?

I was thinking of a few extra beers in my backpack to enjoy on the beach, but there's lots of opportunity to be creative.

Do you know of Caribbean ports that specifically forbid this? They're always warning about bananas and dairy, but I've never heard about bringing alcohol into port.

Thanks!

Not sure what cruise line you will sail with. It has been my experience that drinks are individually served and opened at the time it is served.

I don't think they will hand you a six pack of unopened cans/bottles to go.

Not sure what cruise line you will sail with. It has been my experience that drinks are individually served and opened at the time it is served.

I don't think they will hand you a six pack of unopened cans/bottles to go.

Celebrity serves Grolsch beer. You know, the one with the resealable cap! And It works just fine.:D

Along these same lines, my husband sometimes gets annoyed with my bargaining on a purchase ... like something that would save another dollar or two.

He says to me "Do you know how much it cost to put your feet here? Is another dollar REALLY going to make a difference to you?" :)

In some cultures the merchants expect you to haggle over the price or they get insulted. I never got completely comfortable with the practice but had some shipmates that were made for it.

As for the OP's question, it's not that far out there. If one has already paid for an alcohol package and can obtain unopened beers from it (one at a time presumably) then it's certainly something to think about (of course one would need a backpack that acts as a cooler). My concern would be where could you drink it? I wouldn't want to violate any local laws or regulations regarding open containers and most establishments prohibit outside food or drinks.

In some cultures the merchants expect you to haggle over the price or they get insulted. I never got completely comfortable with the practice but had some shipmates that were made for it.

As for the OP's question, it's not that far out there. If one has already paid for an alcohol package and can obtain unopened beers from it (one at a time presumably) then it's certainly something to think about (of course one would need a backpack that acts as a cooler). My concern would be where could you drink it? I wouldn't want to violate any local laws or regulations regarding open containers and most establishments prohibit outside food or drinks.

Just Google cooler backpacks. There are lots to choose from. As for local laws, a little research will help with that. As you said this idea is not that far out there.

People use their drink packages to stock up on water to take into ports, where they also sell bottles for a buck. Never thought of taking alcohol OFF the ship, but after thinking it over a few minutes it doesn't seem TOTALLY crazy. A little crazy but not completely.

If the OP (or anyone else of my US countrymen) thinks taking into a port alcohol or uninspected food or bottled water (to sell to locals) is a good idea, they should remember to carry it in a backpack clearly labelled "Ugly American."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If the OP (or anyone else of my US countrymen) thinks taking into a port alcohol or uninspected food or bottled water (to sell to locals) is a good idea, they should remember to carry it in a backpack clearly labelled "Ugly American."

Who said anything about selling bottled water to the locals? Or alcohol or uninspected food for that matter? Posters were talking about bringing stuff on shore for personal consumption. Most posters recommended to the OP to find out what the local rules are and follow those. Do you know what the rules are for each port about alcohol or bottled water, or fresh food? If you do that would be helpful information.

BTW Ugly American companies have been selling bottle water and alcohol to the various locals for a very long time. Probably inspected food too.

Re-Read my post. I said people take water off ships in port. Water is ALSO sold in ports for a dollar (by vendors). No one takes water off a ship to try to scalp it. Can not believe you even got that from what I typed.

Who said anything about selling bottled water to the locals? Or alcohol or uninspected food for that matter? Posters were talking about bringing stuff on shore for personal consumption. Most posters recommended to the OP to find out what the local rules are and follow those. Do you know what the rules are for each port about alcohol or bottled water, or fresh food? If you do that would be helpful information.

BTW Ugly American companies have been selling bottle water and alcohol to the various locals for a very long time. Probably inspected food too.

Reread post #11 regarding cruise ship passengers selling bottled water. My parenthetical "sell" referred only to the water.

As to taking alcohol or any uninspected food (even for personal consumption) off a ship or plane or a car, it is subject to inspection as required by or at the discretion of local customs officials. The bottom line point is: "do the right thing."

On a very specific note, I think I speak for most Californians and Hawaiians (and whatever other state that has strict agricultural controls) when I say PLEASE don't bring un-prepagaged/inspected/approved food or flowers or even sand from a foreign beach to our shores.

Re-Read my post. I said people take water off ships in port. Water is ALSO sold in ports for a dollar (by vendors). No one takes water off a ship to try to scalp it. Can not believe you even got that from what I typed.

Sorry- your statement was a bit unclear. "They" generally refers to "people."

I got your meaning too but I can see it being interpreted by Flatbush the other way.

Perhaps "People use their drink packages to stock up on water to take into ports, where the locals also sell bottles for a buck." would have been clearer.

That being said, I think most people would just say follow the local rules re booze, bottled water and food/fresh food.

Edited by DirtyDawg