Question for the ladies - Formal night

michelle028

Hi Ladies

For the formal nights - is it more common on Princess to wear long gowns/short formal dresses? First time on Princess.

Let me know what you have seen!

Thanks!

You see everything!! It really depends on how much the lady wants to get dressed up and whether she wants to take up room in her suitcase to pack a fancy dress with all the trimmings.

I don't own any long gowns or short formal dresses. I've worn a colorful sleeveless dress with a jacket, slacks and a plain top with a beautiful wrap, long skirt with a sparkly top, and slacks with a fancy top. And I never felt under-dressed.

I've seen women in long, very stunning gowns accompanied by gentlemen in formal tuxedos. Fun to observe but not my thing. My thought is, as long as you are in "church clothes," you are properly dressed. (I'm in my 60s, so don't care much about what other people think of the formal night attire I've chosen to wear. And I grew up when you wore a dress to church.)

I just Googled

princess "formal night" attire ship

and looked at Images - lots of photos showing different attire.

Good luck and have fun on your Princess cruise.

I love any excuse to get dressed up. I prefer to wear long formal dresses. I take one and wear it both formal nights. My husband wears a nice suit and long sleeve dress shirt and tie to compliment my dress.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most women on my cruises wear long dresses. I have a long black dress I got on sale at TravelSmith that's served me well for years. I can pair it with a sparkling shawl or a lightweight black drape sweater so it's different each formal night. Add some bling and I'm good to go.

I wear a dress every night. (love it) :D

For formal nights I have one long gown and one glitzy short dress. You see all kinds of styles so wear whatever makes you feel good about yourself!

Have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by dandonna

LBD ( little black dress) has served me well.

Little Black Dress is okay but... On our last cruise we saw a woman all dressed up in a nice dress on formal night but she was wearing "little black underwear" that totally showed through the back of her dress. It was a bit mind boggling.

I wear a long gown on the first formal night and cocktail length the second. We have a third on our next cruise and it will also be cocktail length. We'll rent a tux for DH (takes up no room in the luggage!). It's one of the few times we dress and I love to get photos, both mine and the ship's.

Little Black Dress is okay but... On our last cruise we saw a woman all dressed up in a nice dress on formal night but she was wearing "little black underwear" that totally showed through the back of her dress. It was a bit mind boggling.

Nice!:p

That must have been a wonderful sight. :)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Nice!:p

That must have been a wonderful sight. :)

Here's a visual for you all :D. I saw this on the way to work one summer - young woman walking in front of me wearing a long white skirt with no lining in the skirt and...wait for it...a pink thong!!:eek::eek::eek:

Ok that's off topic but I just want to add if you wear the LBD, do as cb at sea stated - wear something colourful - so I usually add a colourful pashmina to my LBD to give it that "pop".

Edited by suntan
Add comment

Here's a visual for you all :D. I saw this on the way to work one summer - young woman walking in front of me wearing a long white skirt with no lining in the skirt and...wait for it...a pink thong!!:eek::eek::eek:

Ok that's off topic but I just want to add if you wear the LBD, do as cb at sea stated - wear something colourful - so I usually add a colourful pashmina to my LBD to give it that "pop".

Going knickerless is even better. :D

and showing off nice tanned legs in high heels. ;)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I like sarongs in tropical colors or patterns. In warm climates they're all you need. They protect you in overly air-conditioned rooms, or wrap cozily around you when the wind is blowing. They can be anything from a bathing suit cover-up to a stunning shawl or evening wrap. You can dress up your little black dress -- or top and slacks for me, since I don't look good in dresses -- and get a different look for every night. No, I am not in the sarong business .. I just appreciate these lovely, inexpensive and amazingly versatile pronto-garments! Millions of Polynesian women can't be wrong[emoji267]

I usually take with a black cocktail dress, and accessorize it. Also black fancy capri type pants and various tops to wear with them, on different nights. Takes up very little room in my suitcase! I don't bother with long gowns anymore, but some do wear them, but not as much as they did years and years ago.

I take two outfits for formal nights. Depending on my mood - gold cocktail dress or purple fancy pantsuit.

I am basically a jeans gal and getting dressed up is uncomfortable as we don't go out a lot to require dressing up.

Husband wears a suit. I think he likes getting dressed up more than I do.:eek:

Agree with the other posters. I've pretty much seen everything from long beaded gowns, to cocktail dresses, to 'church' dresses, to slacks with a 'bling' top or jacket. I usually take a cocktail dress or dress I would wear to church.

Wear whatever makes you feel comfortable and attractive, and above all, enjoy your cruise!

Hi Ladies

For the formal nights - is it more common on Princess to wear long gowns/short formal dresses? First time on Princess.

Let me know what you have seen!

Thanks!

I think most of us have seen all kinds of things! However, IMO the majority of women wear cocktail dresses in various states of bling, from LBD to full out sequins.

I have found that there is some difference in formality between Caribbean cruises and other locations, and especially in longer cruises. We've seen more gowns and tuxedos in Europe and Australia, for example, than we've seen in the Caribbean. I personally like a full length for first formal, and a cocktail length for second, and DH wears a tux. But that's just personal preference, and we are in the minority most of the time.