Pinnacle Free cruise seems a RipOff

padrek

Every cruise line cares more about the new cruiser who is willing to pay full price (because they don't know all the tricks) and who are willing to pay $50 a day for "free" drinks over loyal cruisers who pay less and are only wanting stuff for free. Why wouldn't they? They don't owe us anything after we have paid for a cruise and enjoyed it. At that point we are even at the end of every cruise. The only valid argument here is the deceptive advertising aimed at loyalty members or anyone else. The only way around it is to always pay a price you like for a cruise you enjoy and everyone should be happy.

Every cruise line cares more about the new cruiser who is willing to pay full price (because they don't know all the tricks) and who are willing to pay $50 a day for "free" drinks over loyal cruisers who pay less and are only wanting stuff for free. Why wouldn't they? They don't owe us anything after we have paid for a cruise and enjoyed it. At that point we are even at the end of every cruise. The only valid argument here is the deceptive advertising aimed at loyalty members or anyone else. The only way around it is to always pay a price you like for a cruise you enjoy and everyone should be happy.

If the above is true, why don't airlines feel the same way and favor new customers over frequent flyers who expect and receive expensive benefits? In fact, airlines go far out of their way to please those few top frequent flyers, far beyond anything that RCCL (or other cruise lines) do for their best customers. According to the Wall Street Journal, Airlines "invite these customers to expensive restaurants and professional sporting events when they aren't traveling. At the airport, they send their mail, press their suits and sew on buttons. United said that when an elite flier once stained his shirt, an employee sent her husband to the mall to buy a replacement."

"At the far end of United's main O'Hare terminal, tucked behind sliding glass doors, four smiling women in gold neckerchiefs await Global Services members. These fliers face no airport lines. The agents know many of them by name and have boarding passes waiting for those who often run late. After picking up their tickets, the travelers step straight to the front of the security line, cutting in front of fliers and drawing confused looks.

United dedicates more than 400 employees at 60 airports across the world to Global Services members. At O'Hare, a handful spend their day in a small room, monitoring the flights of Global Services members scheduled to pass through the airport and pre-emptively booking backup plans for any whose travels get disrupted.

Management consultant Philip Lake, a five-year Global Services member, said that when his recent flight from Tokyo to Chicago was delayed for six hours, the airline immediately rebooked him on another flight through Seattle. "I didn't ask anyone," he said. "They just came up and said, 'We'll get you there.'"

Edited by actuarian

If the above is true, why don't airlines feel the same way and favor new customers over frequent flyers who expect and receive expensive benefits? In fact, airlines go far out of their way to please those few top frequent flyers, far beyond anything that RCCL (or other cruise lines) do for their best customers. According to the Wall Street Journal, Airlines "invite these customers to expensive restaurants and professional sporting events when they aren't traveling. At the airport, they send their mail, press their suits and sew on buttons. United said that when an elite flier once stained his shirt, an employee sent her husband to the mall to buy a replacement."

"At the far end of United's main O'Hare terminal, tucked behind sliding glass doors, four smiling women in gold neckerchiefs await Global Services members. These fliers face no airport lines. The agents know many of them by name and have boarding passes waiting for those who often run late. After picking up their tickets, the travelers step straight to the front of the security line, cutting in front of fliers and drawing confused looks.

United dedicates more than 400 employees at 60 airports across the world to Global Services members. At O'Hare, a handful spend their day in a small room, monitoring the flights of Global Services members scheduled to pass through the airport and pre-emptively booking backup plans for any whose travels get disrupted.

Management consultant Philip Lake, a five-year Global Services member, said that when his recent flight from Tokyo to Chicago was delayed for six hours, the airline immediately rebooked him on another flight through Seattle. "I didn't ask anyone," he said. "They just came up and said, 'We'll get you there.'"

I would imagine that the reason airlines treat their highest level frequent flyers so well is that they are primarily traveling for business, not pleasure. Those people don't take vacations every week but they frequently fly on a weekly basis..............

I would imagine that the reason airlines treat their highest level frequent flyers so well is that they are primarily traveling for business, not pleasure. Those people don't take vacations every week but they frequently fly on a weekly basis..............
And last minute business travelers generally are paying MUCH higher fares than leisure travelers. Most experienced cruisers do not pay the highest fares, booking early, checking for fare dips or picking up cheap last minute clear-out cruises. More importantly, experienced cruisers on average spend far less on-board (which is where the cruise line profits really come from), having been-there, done-that many times. To be honest, I recognize that while I am willing to make sure the ship sails full (by picking up last minute specials) and I do make sure the crew is tipped, I am not the cruise lines best customer. I realize that the cruise line is in business to make money, and doesn't have to give free cruises to long time customers, but I don't think that looking like you are intentionally annoying your long time customers is a good business practice. Promising one thing on your website, and but providing something substantially different when when the certificate is delivered is shoddy and possibly illegal. Yes, they reseve the right to change their offer, BUT they have NOT changed the offer (it is still on their website) and they are not fulfilling it.

I believe what you are saying is inaccurate. There were differences in points awarded depending upon the length of your cruise as well as if you had a suite, I imagine.

I don't remember the point breakdown, but the longer the cruise the more points you achieved. I am sure someone here is a 'cruise points historian' and can bring up history.

As I remember it you got one point for any length cruise and an extra point if the cruise was over a certain number of days but I can't remember how long the cruise had to be to get the extra point.

As I remember it you got one point for any length cruise and an extra point if the cruise was over a certain number of days but I can't remember how long the cruise had to be to get the extra point.
I'm ALMOST positive that the length-of-cruise bonus point break was between 11 and 12 nights (speaking as someone who had several 11 night cruises:mad:). BUT that long cruise bonus only started in 2003 (I think); before that every cruise (not talking B2B), no matter how long, got only one point.

Thom

I'm ALMOST positive that the length-of-cruise bonus point break was between 11 and 12 nights (speaking as someone who had several 11 night cruises:mad:). BUT that long cruise bonus only started in 2003 (I think); before that every cruise (not talking B2B), no matter how long, got only one point.

Thom

See post #121.

Thom

I only started cruising in 2004, and what was done in the past, doesn't affect at all, how they calculate points today. It just is good to be accurate when talking about the past and the changes that have occurred over time -- whether you like the changes or not.

Personally, I think how they do it now is as fair as it could be. I surely would not want it to be based on my onboard bar or shopping bill, since we are not big drinkers, nor do a lot of shopping onboard. Even our excursions are paid for before we board the ship.

It would be ironic if RCL hands all those disgruntled "Royal" guests an IRS #1099 form so the grumpy entitled guests have to pay taxes on a gift. I think one should enjoy a cruise for the cruise/vacation sake and what ever the company wishes to offer is icing on the cake. Focus on the positive but many times in the CL all I hear is complain, complain, complain about trivial stupid "stuff".....ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!!:eek:

Yes, there are different point values based on cabin (JS & above) & length of the cruise but that was NOT always the way it was handled. Please review this copy from the RCCL website of my cruise credits. The last cruise showing was a 14 day Panama Canal cruise in OV. As you can see, I received 1 cruise credit which converted to 7 points when they started counting nights instead of cruises.

Date Of Departure Ship Name Itinerary/Comments Credit Value

19-Mar-2012 Explorer Of The Seas 11 Night Southern Caribbean Cruise 22

12-May-2011 Explorer Of The Seas 9 Night Bermuda And Caribbean Cruise 9

15-Nov-2010 Navigator Of The Seas 5 Night Western Caribbean Cruise 1

11-Nov-2010 Navigator Of The Seas 4 Night Western Caribbean Cruise 1

06-Nov-2010 Navigator Of The Seas 5 Night Western Caribbean Cruise 1

15-Apr-2010 Explorer Of The Seas 9 Night Bermuda And Bahamas Cruise 1

10-Nov-2008 Navigator Of The Seas 12 Night Spanish Transatlantic Cruise 3

03-Mar-2007 Navigator Of The Seas 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise 1

17-Mar-2001 Explorer Of The Seas 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise 1

17-Apr-1999 Legend Of The Seas Panama Canal San Diego-Ft. Lauderdale 1

As did we all, during that time frame. :eek:

grand isle joe -- fortunately, we are all still able to express our opinions on this forum. Happy New Year --

Edited by travelgoddess1

It would be ironic if RCL hands all those disgruntled "Royal" guests an IRS #1099 form so the grumpy entitled guests have to pay taxes on a gift. I think one should enjoy a cruise for the cruise/vacation sake and what ever the company wishes to offer is icing on the cake. Focus on the positive but many times in the CL all I hear is complain, complain, complain about trivial stupid "stuff".....ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!!:eek:

Wow, spoken from Mr. Jolly himself.:)

Aren't airlines constantly going bankrupt?

Thanks for your wonderful words of wisdom. :rolleyes: I find these complaints not all trivial nor are they stupid. C&A developed the Loyalty Program along with its "benefits" and "rewards".

Maybe if it were happening to you, you'd have a better understanding of what is really going on.

.......like most "contracts" you should always read the fine print......what party #1 can give, party #1 can take away. Party #2 has very little re course if any. When I pay for a vacation I expect a pretty good vacation......not a bunch of S+H Green Stamps to collect and complain if my book isn't full.

p.s. (that reference of Green Stamps should bring some of you back a ways).....;)

Maybe this BOGOHO will go away at some point and they can get back to realistic pricing.

It's been 8 months now, and they are starting a new one in January. I think they like it. BOGOHO is good for them - it does not really lower prices, and since it's a "special" price, it stops a bunch of combinations with other perks.

I agree, I don't see it going away anytime soon. It is Royal's way of nullifying the free Pinnacle benefit which has been "earned" per Royal's own guidelines. I recently redeemed a 7nt free cruise certificate using points from my RCCL Bank of America credit card and the BOGOHO pricing nullified that certificate as well. I upgraded to a balcony cabin and the price was just about what I could have booked it for outright on the web with the BOGOHO pricing.

Royal is crystal clear just how much they value repeat passengers, just consider how a first time cruiser in a suite is treated better than a Diamond Plus member in a balcony cabin! Apparently, Royal didn't get their own memo that repeat passengers are the bread and butter of the cruise industry.

Before the bashers start, I've been cruising with Royal since 1986, I'm Diamond Plus and love Royal and sailing with them, I'm just not very happy about how they value profits above respect for their loyal customs. I do also appreciate that this is a business with a responsibility to the shareholders (I'm grateful for the stock price appreciation and dividends I've received) but successful businesses only continue to be so by treating their loyal customers with respect.

Thanks for your wonderful words of wisdom. :rolleyes: I find these complaints not all trivial nor are they stupid. C&A developed the Loyalty Program along with its "benefits" and "rewards".

Maybe if it were happening to you, you'd have a better understanding of what is really going on.

I believe it's the old "whose ox is being gored" adage. And we all bring different perspectives to the table, wrong-headed as some of them can be.

Anyway, thank you for your comment.:)

I believe it's the old "whose ox is being gored" adage. And we all bring different perspectives to the table, wrong-headed as some of them can be.

Anyway, thank you for your comment.:)

Karen, any Ox being gored doesn't sound good. :)

Lisa and I are becoming D+ next cruise and doubt we will become Pinnacle. I do wish that they gave Pinnacles an easier process to book their well deserved "free" cruise.

Hope to see you both one day.

Andrew

I guess you could say that since the value of the cruise exceeds $600, perhaps (I am not in accounting) they all should start worrying. (LOL)

It's not a matter of expecting something in return. This is something that was set up by C&A back on January 21, 2011 when Pinnacle Club was initially established. It was to be a "reward" for their most loyal customers. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, they have now turned this reward into a meaningless piece of paper.

Aahh......yes....well this whole thing started back when they kicked the Diamonds out of the Concierge lounge after those Diamond members had been rewarded by Royal Caribbean for their loyalty.

At that time there were many people who were D+ who did not stand up for the Diamonds and were secretly happy they were being kicked out. Now Royal is on the verge of kicking the D+ out of the CL's and are being accused of not treating Pinnacle's right in this instance of a free cruise. I hope those D+ and Pinnacles affected now were sympathetic to the plight of the Diamonds C & A downgrade back then. If not, then some will be getting their just deserts.

And for clarification, I was Diamond back when the Diamonds were kicked out of the CL's and I am D+ now. But I care little for the trappings of the CL and DL's anymore and just buy the drink package now.

As someone who is Pinnacle and has been on these boards for years, posting almost daily, maybe you can answer this simple question. Did you vigorously stand up for the Diamonds when they were kicked out of the Concierge Lounges?

As someone who is Pinnacle and has been on these boards for years, posting almost daily, maybe you can answer this simple question. Did you vigorously stand up for the Diamonds when they were kicked out of the Concierge Lounges?

Yes I did because the way RCI handled it was not right. The 3 drink voucher system should have been implemented at that time IMHO.

Edited by cruisenfever

Yes I did because the way RCI handled it was not right. The 3 drink voucher system should have been implemented at that time IMHO.

Good to know. I don't like to see cuts in Loyalty programs but obviously they occur from time to time. If they promised the Pinnacles more benefits than they want to give them now this should be explained. To make it difficult or near impossible to use the benefit is the same as cutting the benefit.

I am of the opinion that if Royal Caribbean offers a free cruise at certain point levels in C & A, then these cruises should be treated like the free cruises earned by Visa points. That was a very easy process. We never had a problem booking our free cruises with Visa points and we did it 6 times. We don't use the RCL Visa anymore because we use cards giving more bang for our buck after the RCL/Visa changes, but if they can do it with the Visa program it can be done.

Good to know. I don't like to see cuts in Loyalty programs but obviously they occur from time to time. If they promised the Pinnacles more benefits than they want to give them now this should be explained. To make it difficult or near impossible to use the benefit is the same as cutting the benefit.

I am of the opinion that if Royal Caribbean offers a free cruise at certain point levels in C & A, then these cruises should be treated like the free cruises earned by Visa points. That was a very easy process. We never had a problem booking our free cruises with Visa points and we did it 6 times. We don't use the RCL Visa anymore because we use cards giving more bang for our buck after the RCL/Visa changes, but if they can do it with the Visa program it can be done.

Some earlier posts have cruisers having similar troubles booking a Visa free cruise due to BOGOHO pricing.

Oh, so maybe it is looking like they don't want to make it easy to use any type of freebie. Too bad.

The BOGO was good in the beginning (last May), but it almost looks like it will become a regular pricing mechanism to keep anyone from combining any kind of specials or loyalty discounts. Not only is it confusing, but it gives much less of an actual benefit (balcony discount) for being in a higher tier of C & A than for being a novice RCL cruiser.