Australian visa processing update from princess

Just received this email from Princess:

AUSTRALIAN VISA PROCESSING UPDATE

Please be advised that due to changing requirements from the Australian authorities, we are unable to process the Australian Visa/Electronic Travel Authority (ETA), as their application now requires additional personal information that we do not collect. We regret any inconvenience this may cause.

All guests, excluding Australian and New Zealand passport holders, are required to obtain an Australian visa or ETA. If you require an ETA, please visit https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETA/etas.jsp. You will be able to pay for and process the visa online. If you were charged the processing fee of USD $20 per person on your booking, you will receive that amount refunded to the original method of payment for your cruise.We look forward to welcoming you aboard.

I take it as a generic email to all who have booked cruises - but it may be of interest to some who are thinking of making a booking.

Edited by dizzy1948

We booked way back in February 2014. Princess is closed today so I shall need to call tomorrow at 5 AM. Since it is the Wave Season, it may be a long wait.

The three of us are leaving 19 January LAX > MEL to see the AU Open Tennis and then flying to Auckland to board the Diamond Princess for 12 days. This is scary when we thought that we automatically already paid Princess for the ETAs. :eek:

After booking 11 months ago, Princess is just now telling us this ? :confused:

We booked way back in February 2014. Princess is closed today so I shall need to call tomorrow at 5 AM. Since it is the Wave Season, it may be a long wait.

The three of us are leaving 19 January LAX > MEL to see the AU Open Tennis and then flying to Auckland to board the Diamond Princess for 12 days. This is scary when we thought that we automatically already paid Princess for the ETAs. :eek:

IF it has been 11 months Princess may already have arranged it, otherwise it's pretty simple on line.

Princess couldn't have told you any sooner as Australian Immigration have only very recently changed the rules, it is, as mentioned above, as a result of heightened security issues.

We booked direct with Princess - so I am assuming that is why we got a direct email - (emails - we have two bookings - same cruise) If others have booked through TA's - the TA's would have received the notice - and it would be assumed they would pass it on to their clients. As the email only came in yesterday (I posted the news within five minutes) a lot of TA's would have been closed.

Edited by dizzy1948

The Australian ETA is for a 12 month period, so Princess may not have tried to process until much closer to the sailing date. Hence, an issue with changed requirements.

I would cover myself by applying directly through the link in the OP. Approvals are pretty rapid.

When I travel to the US, this is one thing I never leave to the TA because I want to be sure it IDs done accurately and timely. A colleague paid for a TA to process one for her, not realizing that the one she had still had 18 months validity left.

I think you need to have a re-check of your travel dates, given what you have said in the tennis thread about being there on 20-21.

If you leave LAX on 19th, you usually arrive in Melbourne on 21st. A complication of crossing the international dateline.

The Australian ETA is for a 12 month period, so Princess may not have tried to process until much closer to the sailing date. Hence, an issue with changed requirements.

[FONT="Arial Black"]I would cover myself by applying directly through the link in the OP. Approvals are pretty rapid.[/font]When I travel to the US, this is one thing I never leave to the TA because I want to be sure it IDs done accurately and timely. A colleague paid for a TA to process one for her, not realizing that the one she had still had 18 months validity left.

"If you were charged the processing fee of USD $20 per person on your booking, you will receive that amount refunded to the original method of payment for your cruise." (as per quote from Princess) As Princess may have charged you the $20.00 - you will get it back. I would do as Docker 123 suggests (IMHO) - rather than raise your stress levels. Ring Princess for clarification - or your TA. Don't forget to let us all know how you get on - it would be interesting to others for future reference. :D

Hope my posting sections in "bold" isn't misinterpreted as shouting or being rude - I am a "hilite" type of person.

Edited by dizzy1948

The aussie visa is a quick online process that takes a matter of minutes, cruise friends have told me it is very easy and a response of approval is made as soon as payment is processed. Plenty of time to still organise once you have the notification that Princess hasn't done it for you already.:D

Princess is open here today. Guessing you're in the US where it may be different.

I had a very short wait time, I might add.

Edited by The_Big_M

Princess is open here today. Guessing you're in the US where it may be different.

I had a very short wait time, I might add.

Yes, Di Princess is from the west coast of the US.

Where it's only just today:confused::confused::confused:, or even still might be yesterday.

Edited by GUT2407

At least they know the world won't end today for them because we are already living their tomorrow.:p

LOL...love it :D

I don't think this change is just for Princess only - I think it's across the board for all cruise ships. I don't know how to look for similar type postings - but one sort of flashed up when I had put my title in to start the thread !!!!!!!!!!!!! If that makes sense to anyone :confused:

Edited by dizzy1948

LOL...love it :D

I don't think this change is just for Princess only - I think it's across the board for all cruise ships. I don't know how to look for similar type postings - but one sort of flashed up when I had put my title in to start the thread !!!!!!!!!!!!! If that makes sense to anyone :confused:

Makes perfect sense to me.

So probably gibberish to everyone else.

And yes I think it is an Australian Immigration thing, that they want information that the cruise co's wouldn't ask or need

I Hope my posting sections in "bold" isn't misinterpreted as shouting or being rude - I am a "hilite" type of person.

No problem, Dizzy,

I, also, have been accused of Bolding (usually in black, hard to see the blue).

Thank you to all my Aussie Friends, especially to you, the Dizzy one, for that website link. I did call Helene Quick, my CVP (Cruise Vacation Planner) at Princess today and she checked my DD's booking. She told me that an e-mail from Princess had been sent on 15 December; however, my DD has searched her AOL Hell e-mail spam, deleted, all mail, and she has never received it. DD will go on line to the AU website and do it. She lives < one mile from Princess in Valencia, California.

DD does have a question which maybe someone in Oz will know. IF, she does not get the ETA on line, can she do it at LAX? They are flying to MEL early to see the Open Tennis for 2 days before flying to Auckland to board. Will Qantas do it at the airport?

Thanks again for all your help. We love Aussies (Kiwis too). ;) :confused:

No problem, Dizzy,

Thank you to all my Aussie Friends, especially to you, the Dizzy one, for that website link. I did call Helene Quick, my CVP (Cruise Vacation Planner) at Princess today and she checked my DD's booking. She told me that an e-mail from Princess had been sent on 15 December; however, my DD has searched her AOL Hell e-mail spam, deleted, all mail, and she has never received it. DD will go on line to the AU website and do it. She lives < one mile from Princess in Valencia, California.

DD does have a question which maybe someone in Oz will know. IF, she does not get the ETA on line, can she do it at LAX? They are flying to MEL early to see the Open Tennis for 2 days before flying to Auckland to board. Will Qantas do it at the airport?

My answer would be no, Qantas would not be able to do that at the airport. Qantas is now a private company not a government airline.

All airlines have a responsibility of checking that the passenger has the. Correct travel documents to complete their trip. If not, they are required to deny boarding.

Second last time I flew out of LAX to Melbourne I saw this happen.

If there are online difficulties, contact the Australian Consulate in LA.

No problem, Dizzy,

To be safe - your DD should do it online asap - saves hassle - she must have it BEFORE she enters Australia. Also ETA's cannot be processed at airports - it is a Government thing. Airlines would be like the cruiselines - they provide a carrier service but are not responsible for correct documentation required by pax to commence/complete a journey. Hope that makes sense. $20.00 -small price to pay to stop a disastrous, expensive, possible non event holiday :eek:

For safety's sake - I would add a week prior to the commencement of the holiday - and max out to the final date allowed on the ETA. I am not too familiar with ETA's by the way - but better to err on the side of caution.

Edited by dizzy1948

No problem, Dizzy,

Hi Di

As far as I'm aware, it's not possible at the airport. Your daughter will need to apply online.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by newfarmers

It took longer than 5 minutes. Not a user-friendly website. Archaic in that it does not have pull-down menus. She has no reason to know that 1 is the country code for the USA, even though I have known it forever (so she called Mum). She has a doctorate, but travelers have different levels of technogeekism. ;)

What I don't get is: how does that ETA fly into the Passaporte from Oz to Cali?

Maybe I would need to take my Passaporte out of my RFID envelope or it would not attach. :confused:

I think this step by the Government is due to the shoot-up in the Sydney coffee shop last month. :eek: