Oasis returning to port?

Pilot53

I agree with aloha43 my wife and I raised 3 daughters and now have a 3 yo grand daughter we live on the beach in Florida always had a pool and when they were that little we never ever let them around water without one of us standing right there watching them. And I mean standing right there even with a life guard on duty we watched our own children we weren't sitting in some lounge chair talking or reading. It only takes a second for them to go under. No excuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And even that thread doesn't have it all straight as part of it makes is sound like the child was on the flowrider and not the kids' water park.

But at least we don't have to deal with meaningless statements now like the child "split his/her head open".

That's true, but they still think the parents were servicing the drinks package instead of supervising.

I was a lifeguard at a theme park, and while I know our lazy river was bigger than a cruise ship one, I fished lost kids out of it all the time. Parents were attentive, but maybe they got Junior #1 into a tube, had a hand on it, started helping Kid #2 and lost their grip on #1. The current moves fast. Parents were usually looking for them - on the tubes, under the water - so by the time they catch up to the lifeguard and the kid, a few minutes have passed.

75% of my rescues involved issues with the actual water features (wave pools are the devil) rather than inattentive parents, so I wouldn't jump to vilify the parents.

I was a lifeguard at a theme park, and while I know our lazy river was bigger than a cruise ship one, I fished lost kids out of it all the time. Parents were attentive, but maybe they got Junior #1 into a tube, had a hand on it, started helping Kid #2 and lost their grip on #1. The current moves fast. Parents were usually looking for them - on the tubes, under the water - so by the time they catch up to the lifeguard and the kid, a few minutes have passed.

75% of my rescues involved issues with the actual water features (wave pools are the devil) rather than inattentive parents, so I wouldn't jump to vilify the parents.

Yes, but an attentive parent doesn't loose sight of a child in a pool for 10 minutes and not raise some sort of alarm. The ship pool is a reasonably small area, unlike at a resort or theme park.

16010669727_ae556cf69c_z.jpg

Here is the pool on Liberty. There are usually a mob of kids including older bigger kids in this little pool. If the Child was 4 feet tall we would be 4 inch under water on flat feet. Very very sad!!!!!!

Ken here is my photo taken on OASIS in October so not as deep as Liberty but deep enough with a strong current. Prayers for a full recovery for this little one

16009704450_5b81ca43e1_c.jpg

I am saddened by the number of posters who are eager to rush to judgement.

My friend's daughter experienced a near drowning in the backyard in a play bucket; lost all vitals and was brought back to life. Adults were feet away.

Young children can drown in as little as 1 inch of water. That means drowning can happen where you'd least expect it - the sink, the toilet bowl, fountains, buckets, pet bowls, birdbaths, wading pools, or small bodies of standing water around your home, such as ditches filled with rainwater. (Source: KidsHealth/The Nemours Foundation, June 2004, Most Kids Who Drowned Were Supervised, Study Finds)

Of course the subject at hand is quite different.

I doubt most caretakers provide constant supervision in the situations cited above, but you never know, the number of perfect parents on these boards never ceases to amaze me.

There is always a group that makes excuses for the people who allow "accidents" to happen

Also....a child that young should never be let into any kind of pool without a life jacket.

We have a wave pool at our local water park. I get in with my grandaughter, along with the life jacket and don't let go of her....period.

I am saddened by the number of posters who are eager to rush to judgement.

My friend's daughter experienced a near drowning in the backyard in a play bucket; lost all vitals and was brought back to life. Adults were feet away.

I doubt most caretakers provide constant supervision in the situations cited above, but you never know, the number of perfect parents on these boards never ceases to amaze me.

We aren't saying we are perfect parents....only that, no matter what....if there is water involved, one doesn't look away.

If it is a wave pool that is too deep for a 4 year old, where was the life jacket? How come the parent wasn't in the pool with a child that young?

Yes......................to your questions.

And the hours posted to be determined by the staff (like most resorts post--ie: Life guard on duty 11am. to 6pm).

And as I stated:

Now mind you that does not let anyone off the hook of monitoring their family members as they swim or play in the water............but just knowing available resources are there to assist a swimmer in need does provide a little reassurance .

Maybe this should be the new trend.

Safe travels.

If the cruise lines add lifeguards what crew members will be reduced in order to house the lifeguards? There is only so much sleeping quarters for crew members and if the ship is at or near capacity then they will have to eliminate other positions so they have room for the lifeguards. I guess they could reduce or eliminate the activities staff or the staff that looks after the various kids clubs and replace them with lifeguards. Hopefully cruise lines wouldn't just add lifeguard duty to their existing crew and add extra hours of work to their already busy 12+ hour days.

My thoughts and prayers are with this family. The most important thing that I have learned as a parent of a four year old and 20 month old is that accidents can happen in the blink of an eye, even under diligent supervision.

As a family that has taken three cruises with my children and have one planned this summer, it does make me feel safer that the ship's staff was able to resuscitate this child and to provide the medical care that he needed in order to stay alive until he could be brought to shore for more medical attention. I have always worried about the medical care that can be provided while at sea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wish I could remember where in this #103 post thread (and give credit to) someone posted that now on Disney Cruises Lifeguards are on duty by the pools.

Now mind you that does not let anyone off the hook of monitoring their family members as they swim or play in the water............but just knowing available resources are there to assist a swimmer in need does provide a little reassurance .

Maybe this should be the new trend.

Safe travels.

I think that was me. Disney added lifeguards after a child nearly drowned on the Disney Dream, luckily the ship had not even left Port Canaveral yet so medical attention was right at the dock.

I would imagine on a ship the size of the Oasis you would station a lifeguard near the largest pool, it would be an extra layer of protection.

On our recent Disney Wonder cruise, the lifeguards were awesome and very attentive. They could not be everywhere, but they were roving and available to help. Of course there are still chances for a kid to drown, as the lifeguard does not cover every pool, just the busiest one.

If the cruise lines add lifeguards what crew members will be reduced in order to house the lifeguards? There is only so much sleeping quarters for crew members and if the ship is at or near capacity then they will have to eliminate other positions so they have room for the lifeguards. I guess they could reduce or eliminate the activities staff or the staff that looks after the various kids clubs and replace them with lifeguards. Hopefully cruise lines wouldn't just add lifeguard duty to their existing crew and add extra hours of work to their already busy 12+ hour days.

I asked this very question on the Disney Wonder to the lifeguard (while we were both watching just my twins....swimming in the pool in Alaska while it was about 45 degrees out), and he said the brought three lifeguards on and took a quad inside cabin off line on Deck 2 just for them. He said that sounds bad, but it is MUCH better than your standard crew cabin. He said when the Wonder goes in to dry dock in a few years they are going to add crew cabins for them somewhere, but for now they get an inside guest cabin right next to a crew entrance.

I asked him point blank "do you think parents use you an an excuse not to watch their kids in the pool". He tried to give me a non-controversial reply, but it was basically "parents will be parents, the ones who would closely supervise will do it whether I am here or not".

In the bottom few paragraphs of this article, the author describes "one surfer in the pool with instructors at a time. " As unbelievable as it sounds, I think this occurred on the Flow Rider within an hour of setting sail. That's a very scary thought as I couldn't imagine there not being less than two very alert instructors there soon after the Flow Rider opening.

Thoughts and prayers to this child and family.

In the bottom few paragraphs of this article, the author describes "one surfer in the pool with instructors at a time. " As unbelievable as it sounds, I think this occurred on the Flow Rider within an hour of setting sail. That's a very scary thought as I couldn't imagine there not being less than two very alert instructors there soon after the Flow Rider opening.

Thoughts and prayers to this child and family.

I was wondering about this. Some are saying it's the "donut" lazy river, but a surfer was mentioned.:confused::confused:

Edited by time4u2go

We were on the allure last year with my grandsons and granddaugher. The kids pools weren't wave pools, but they were deep enough. I will say this, between the pools and the chairs it was so slippery, many many people were falling. Yes there were wet floor signs, but kids tend to run instead of walk. I don't know how to make this not so slippery.

I hope everything will turn out okay.

We aren't saying we are perfect parents....only that, no matter what....if there is water involved, one doesn't look away.

If it is a wave pool that is too deep for a 4 year old, where was the life jacket? How come the parent wasn't in the pool with a child that young?

In my opinion, if you never look away around sinks, toilet bowls, dog bowls, (the drowning dangers that I cited from an article, and you deleted when you quoted my post), you certainly rank up there in the superparent category.

Ken here is my photo taken on OASIS in October so not as deep as Liberty but deep enough with a strong current. Prayers for a full recovery for this little one

16009704450_5b81ca43e1_c.jpg

Great pic Emmy - Thanks for sharing and good to see RCCL making the poor more shallow on the newer builds.

Is there a wave pool separate from the flow rider?

The Flow rider and the wave pool are two totally separate and distinct things. A 4 year old would likely NOT meet the height requirements for the flow rider, just so you know.

The wave pool is in the H2O Zone on the main pool deck.

Also....a child that young should never be let into any kind of pool without a life jacket.

We have a wave pool at our local water park. I get in with my grandaughter, along with the life jacket and don't let go of her....period.

I agree that they should have life jackets that young. Also what many may not know is that when someone is drowning it is be unnoticed because the drowning happens quickly and quietly. The parents can be there and not know. So holding on like you do or touching is advisable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk