How much longer will upscale offers continue?

smj

I would guess that once you board ship the offers will be gone!

Although, I suppose if they want you to UPGRADE on your own dime, and there is space, the offers could continue.

On one occasion at check-in I asked if there had been any cancellations in the PH category (we'd booked too late to get one) and the answer was no. That cruise was very over-sold. If it had been undersold, I probably could have gotten it.

I'm surprised you're still getting them at this late date, however ... we never have! I'm getting them NOW for our April 2015 cruise. I will be surprised if they continue far into the spring.

Mura

Incidentally, the offers referred to in this thread are more accurately called Up-SALES.

I had originally imagined that "Upscale" was a typo, but it appears that the OP typed the word out twice in Post one, which may make it contextual.

Knowledge is power.

Oceania ..have no fear will continue to offer upscale luxury for as long as it is in business

Up grades... are few and not that common in my experience. My philosophy is get what you want and be happy.

Getting one thing only as a playing card to a possibility of something else may work on Carnival and Princess with 30 categories' of cabin but not so well on luxury lines. Its easy to fall victim to the hype produced by the mass market folks...

The offers could even extend after sailing. We once were offered an upsell on board after settling in. The cost offered as I recall was a couple of $100 or so off of regular difference. Hardly a bargain sale at that point. Not very enticing Anything they get is additional revenue so it did surprise me they were wanting so much. That plus having to repack our luggage it was not appealing.

On our Auckland-Sydney cruise in Jan '08 there were many people who were doing the B2B to Bangkok. Originally we'd been in their situation but had cancelled the second leg.

However, that second leg was very much oversold and Oceania was offering big bucks to passengers who were booked on both legs to cancel the second one. The problem was most of them had arranged for air fare home from Bangkok and weren't prepared to take that kind of a hit no matter how much O was offering. I talked to lots of people who'd passed on the offer, and not one who accepted it. By the time you're on board, it's hard to take such an offer.

It's different if they are just trying to get you to change your room category on the current sailing. (If they wanted me to move to an OS from a PH for zero dollars I suppose I'd accept! But that's never happened ...)

Mura

Every cruise is different. Supply and demand. The more they need your cabin the more lucrative the downsell with be. With respect to upsells those too will vary. Some tas may get you a better deal than others. We would never deal directly with the cruise line for upsells or downsells. You need someone to negotiate the "deal."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have heard that your privately booked airfare can be part of the "negotiation". Of course it will depend on their need for your cabin. So don't discount it if you booked your own air. Negotiate.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have heard that your privately booked airfare can be part of the "negotiation". Of course it will depend on their need for your cabin. So don't discount it if you booked your own air. Negotiate.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

+1 Excellent Advice!

If they want the cabin badly enough, you just won't believe the offers. :D

+1 Excellent Advice!

If they want the cabin badly enough, you just won't believe the offers. :D

We are Oceania "newbies" and I am curious as to why they would want any cabin "badly enough" :confused:

I must admit that I do try to research cabins and always have tried to grab a larger balcony if possible ( we've mostly sailed on Celebrity) as I prefer to sit on my balcony if at all possible.

I feel that our 7008 on Riviera was a good find and wonder if that might be a cabin that that they might like to re-sell and if they approached me, should we trade-in?

It is not a particular cabin. It's a category of cabins for which they have wait lists or guarantys.

Guarantys have to be satisfied. Wait listed cruisers pay a higher price for a cabin that might have been booked the day the itinerary came out.

We are Oceania "newbies" and I am curious as to why they would want any cabin "badly enough" :confused:

I must admit that I do try to research cabins and always have tried to grab a larger balcony if possible ( we've mostly sailed on Celebrity) as I prefer to sit on my balcony if at all possible.

I feel that our 7008 on Riviera was a good find and wonder if that might be a cabin that that they might like to re-sell and if they approached me, should we trade-in?

As Bitob has related, the majority of upsale offers, or even rarer upgrades result from the Cruise Line wanting to free up cabins in a category where guarantees have already been sold.

There are also certain Oceania Passengers who quietly prefer to remain onboard for 3 or 4 (sometimes 6) consecutive voyages. As a concession to their loyalty, Oceania will often arrange to keep them in the same cabin, throughout. Should you be booked in segment 3, the offers will fly, particularly if that long-term passenger has a competent Travel Agent.

Finally, as you move up the food chain, there is a great deal of upsale "action" regarding the larger Suites.

It is not a particular cabin. It's a category of cabins for which they have wait lists or guarantys.

Guarantys have to be satisfied. Wait listed cruisers pay a higher price for a cabin that might have been booked the day the itinerary came out.

As Bitob has related, the majority of upsale offers, or even rarer upgrades result from the Cruise Line wanting to free up cabins in a category where guarantees have already been sold.

There are also certain Oceania Passengers who quietly prefer to remain onboard for 3 or 4 (sometimes 6) consecutive voyages. As a concession to their loyalty, Oceania will often arrange to keep them in the same cabin, throughout. Should you be booked in segment 3, the offers will fly, particularly if that long-term passenger has a competent Travel Agent.

Finally, as you move up the food chain, there is a great deal of upsale "action" regarding the larger Suites.

Thank you for the information.

At the moment I think there is a huge amount of availability on our sailing 17/09/15 so I don't think it's an issue that I'll have to consider :o

We sail in four days and just received our third upsell offer yesterday afternoon. We took the first one but the last two are too late for many of the perks of the cabin grade offered (and the last was just less money for the same upsell), so motion-sickness-prone me is staying with her dead-on midships cabin.

We sail on January 14th Papeete to Papeete and accepted an upsale offer yesterday. For $500 per person we upgraded from a B2 to a PH2. We could of had any of the PH category but we like the PH2 for its midship location. It was a splurge, but this is an anniversary cruise for us. We feel we are getting a good deal. A week ago they offered the same upsale for $1000 per person. For $1000 pp you can get an ocean suite now. Looking forward to our cruise!