3 Ships Docking at Grand Turk

cruisingxpert

I was on a Princess ship a bit over a year ago and Grand Turk was one of our stops. It turned out that 3 ships were scheduled to be there at the same time, the Princess ship I was on, the Nieuw Amsterdam and a Carnival ship I think. I was meeting a friend of mine who works for HAL (which did end up happening, but in a much shorter time frame). Anyway, first we were going to be there from 8 until 4; then we were going to dock early, leave the pier around 1 and they would then institute tender service. Finally, they decided we would dock along with the HAL ship and we would leave at 1 or 1:30 so the other ship could dock where we were. No tendering, just wave good bye to the HAL ship and my friend and sail into the sunset.

Apparently, tendering in that port is not easy. I don't remember why, but according our fellow CC friends, it's not really done and you'd be more likely to have to miss the port if you had to tender. Strictly hearsay on my part.

Maureen

I was on a Princess ship a bit over a year ago and Grand Turk was one of our stops. It turned out that 3 ships were scheduled to be there at the same time......

Apparently, tendering in that port is not easy. I don't remember why, but according our fellow CC friends, it's not really done and you'd be more likely to have to miss the port if you had to tender. Strictly hearsay on my part.

Maureen

That's interesting.

I was on a Princess ship a bit over a year ago and Grand Turk was one of our stops. It turned out that 3 ships were scheduled to be there at the same time, the Princess ship I was on, the Nieuw Amsterdam and a Carnival ship I think. I was meeting a friend of mine who works for HAL (which did end up happening, but in a much shorter time frame). Anyway, first we were going to be there from 8 until 4; then we were going to dock early, leave the pier around 1 and they would then institute tender service. Finally, they decided we would dock along with the HAL ship and we would leave at 1 or 1:30 so the other ship could dock where we were. No tendering, just wave good bye to the HAL ship and my friend and sail into the sunset.

Maureen

There are very strong currents at Grand Turk and it is not unheard of for a ship to be unable to dock on a given day if there are winds and the current is strong. From time to time, we read of ships having to leave without docking. That likely is why tendering is not common at Grand Turk.

Thanks for explaining how they handled juggling three ships. :)

There are very strong currents at Grand Turk and it is not unheard of for a ship to be unable to dock on a given day if there are winds and the current is strong. From time to time, we read of ships having to leave without docking. That likely is why tendering is not common at Grand Turk.

I remember being on the Noordam a few years ago at Grand Turk. Some storekeepers told me another HAL ship had given Grand Turk a pass the day before. They said he was a new Captain and had decided to err on side of caution.

Makes me wonder if that's what we will get told on our cruise - that the winds are too strong rather than say - no room at the Inn lol.

p.s. Thanks Sail for the list of other port schedule sites.

Edited by cruisingxpert

Thanks for explaining how they handled juggling three ships. :)

Sounds like Grand Cayman! ;)

I'm surprised to hear those comments about the currents. I've only been there on the Crystal Symphony. Like the Prinsendam it has open bridge wings and I like to stand on the Sun Deck watching the departure. I could swear Grand Turk was the only port I've visited where there was not a pilot on the bridge wings along with the officers.

Roy

Lots of wild donkeys to pet on Grand Turk; Oh yeah, and don't forget 'Friendship 7', the replica of John Glenn's Mercury capsule; but don't pet it! ;)

I was thinking it was the original but checked my blog and, sure enough, it is a replica.

mercury1.jpg

Roy