Live from the 2015 QE World Voyage

Scrapnana

We are boarding in just under a week, can anyone tell me how many coat hangers they supply in the cabin?

Louise

Sydneylou, please allow me to apologise on behalf of the board, someone obviously got out of bed on the wrong side this morning.

there are plenty.... Most are attached to the clothes rods and there are a variety , some that have clips to hold up shorts and skirts etc and others that just have a rail below the boomerang.

There are a number of different size hanging spaces, which obviously vary in size and amount depending on the grade of cabin,...

have a great trip and hope that you will be contributing to the blog for the rest of us to follow your trip.....

Roscoe

Edited by roscoe39

We are boarding in just under a week, can anyone tell me how many coat hangers they supply in the cabin?

Louise

Sydneylou, I am a solo traveller and I find there are not enough hangers for me, even on a 12-night cruise. I either have to put multiple items on each hanger or ask the steward for a few more. Neither of these solutions is a problem.

You might wonder what I pack to use up all the hangers. Well, I generally have a different outfit for each evening. Four of those would be skirts or trousers, so add in tops and that takes up double the hangers for that night. (I am therefore estimating 16 hangers in that wardrobe.) That's one wardrobe full. The other wardrobe holds day wear and I don't mind wearing those clothes 2 or 3 times on the cruise. However, they are always separates so again they take up double the hangers. I think it might be another 16 in that wardrobe.

I remember one cruise there were no hangers in one of the wardrobes so I spoke to the steward. His answer was that most people bring on their formal clothes already on the hangers and want to be able to just put them in place on the rails. That has not happened to me since then.

Seriously?

If you don't have enough hangers, ask your cabin steward for more.

We have some extras packed, based on some comments on boards and blogs. We also have brought a whole lot more clothes than any other cruise, what with formal AND theme outfits. We are low and inside, so kind of at the bottom off the pecKing order for what could be a finite supply. We'll see - if we use our own there will be more for other folks :).

Hi John & Andrea and also Barbara. thank you so much for the updates. Love them.

Last year day two of san Fran was very wet and misty. We went off for the day to Monterey & Carmel and the weather improved It was an amazing tour and I hope you are doing it.

Re the lady and coat hangers.

Well, as I am probably the lady who holds the record for the most shoes, handbags and dresses on a world cruise. (118 dresses and 40 plus pairs of shoes) I can tell you the hangers in the wardrobes take up far too much space so dump them! :)

I always take my dresses on board already hung on thin hangers. I lift them out of the suitcase, and place them straight into the wardrobe. After first removing the complete rail which the hangers are on. I remove all hangers and the cups they sit in as they take up far too much room. I may keep one or two. The steward will take them away. If you want extra hangers they often bring those wire type ones which are fine for light weight things. Don't forget there are two huge drawers under the bed that take lots of folded things like tops jumpers T shirts etc. I also store all my bags under the bed . I have so many of them. ;) They don't call me Ships, Shoes & Maggiemou ( find me on Amazon) for nothing. :) Have a great cruise.

Edited by maggiemou

Hi John & Andrea and also Barbara. thank you so much for the updates. Love them.

Last year day two of san Fran was very wet and misty. We went off for the day to Monterey & Carmel and the weather improved It was an amazing tour and I hope you are doing it.

Well, as I am probably the lady who holds the record for the most shoes, handbags and dresses on a world cruise. (118 dresses and 40 plus pairs of shoes) I can tell you the hangers in the wardrobes take up far too much space so dump them! :)

I always take my dresses on board already hung on thin hangers. I lift them out of the suitcase, and place them straight into the wardrobe. After first removing the complete rail which the hangers are on. I remove all hangers and the cups they sit in as they take up far too much room. I may keep one or two. The steward will take them away. If you want extra hangers they often bring those wire type ones which are fine for light weight things. Don't forget there are two huge drawers under the bed that take lots of folded things like tops jumpers T shirts etc. I also store all my bags under the bed . I have so many of them. ;) They don't call me Ships, Shoes & Maggiemou ( find me on Amazon) for nothing. :) Have a great cruise.

WOW, 118 dresses,:eek: and I am worried about my wife taking 5 on a cruise.:D

Sydneylou, please allow me to apologise on behalf of the board, someone obviously got out of bed on the wrong side this morning.

there are plenty.... Most are attached to the clothes rods and there are a variety , some that have clips to hold up shorts and skirts etc and others that just have a rail below the boomerang.

There are a number of different size hanging spaces, which obviously vary in size and amount depending on the grade of cabin,...

have a great trip and hope that you will be contributing to the blog for the rest of us to follow your trip.....

Roscoe

Roscoe, since mine was the only reply to the question prior to your grand "apology on behalf of the board", your comment was none too subtle.

BTW, I really was curious if the question was a serious one because it's hard to imagine that passengers actually count the number of hangers in their cabin or even that the amount of hangers is consistent in each cabin/suite on every voyage. Perhaps that is why no one has yet answered the specific question asked? Although all the post have been helpful and informative, most especially yours of course since you speak on behalf of the board :)

My suggestion to ask the steward for more hangers if necessary, based on my personal experience, is a simple solution for those that don't want to add weight to their luggage by packing their clothes hangers - although I understand that is a popular methodology. Personally, I would worry about the hook on the hangers catching on garments as the suitcase was juggled about in transit even if I wasn't travelling in an airplane or subject to luggage inspection. Of course, that won't happen if one hand carries their clothes on hangers a garment bag, so that's yet another alternative.

Many passengers' items returned from the ships laundry/dry cleaners are returned on hangers those hangers are often left in the closet at the end of their voyage. Some stewards leave the wire hangers in addition to the wood hangers for subsequent passengers, but (again based on my experience) many stewards remove them and subsequently have those surplus hangers at the ready either in stewards storage area or obtained in the ships' laundry in the event more hangers are requested.

I hope this helps.

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Perhaps that is why no one has yet answered the specific question asked?

Hi Salacia. Look back at my post and you'll see that I did indeed answer the specific question asked. I was able to do so by remembering what I took on my last cruise. I could therefore give a ballpark figure. Of course, cabins may vary.

WOW, 118 dresses,:eek: and I am worried about my wife taking 5 on a cruise.:D

I don't even possess 118 dresses :) And 40 plus pairs of shoes? Out of curiosity, where do you keep them at home?

118 dresses and 40 plus shoes?! My goodness! I'm in awe at your wardrobe!

Being a man, I scrape by with 10 pairs of shoes, 4 suits, a tux, two blazers, three pairs of semi formal pants and a different shirt for each day of holidays (I could dine out with a different buttoned shirt and tie for 6 weeks before needing to cycle through).

It never seems enough!

I'm curious how many suitcases do you take to fit all your things in, Maggiemou?! You must need your own A380 just to lift the dresses!

Generally, I'm loving this thread. Following the WC is wonderful and is giving me a daily dose of Cunard travel.

It inspired me to add another cruise to my big trip later this year - 32 days on QE and QM2. I figure it's like a third of a WC.

Can't wait to do it for real some day!

Being a man, I scrape by with 10 pairs of shoes, 4 suits, a tux, two blazers, three pairs of semi formal pants and a different shirt for each day of holidays (I could dine out with a different buttoned shirt and tie for 6 weeks before needing to cycle through).

It never seems enough!

I'm curious how many suitcases do you take to fit all your things in, Maggiemou?! You must need your own A380 just to lift the dresses!

Generally, I'm loving this thread. Following the WC is wonderful and is giving me a daily dose of Cunard travel.

It inspired me to add another cruise to my big trip later this year - 32 days on QE and QM2. I figure it's like a third of a WC.

WOW, I must be travelling way to light for Cunard, I need to go shopping.:cool:

Edited by MicCanberra

WOW, I must be travelling way to light for Cunard, I need to go shopping.:cool:

I consider the 4 cases I take on holidays to be just enough to carry everything. I've seen people with 6 and 8 cases each before. Wish I could score a bigger luggage allowance on long haul flights.

Some Cunard passengers actually book two staterooms or suites - one to live in and one that is turned into a wardrobe room. A lady on one of my cruises did that. She had booked a Q1 to stay in and the adjoining Q2 to store her belongings.

She really must have had a lot because the Q1 suites have two walk in wardrobes with enough space for Maggiemou's belongings twice over.

I consider the 4 cases I take on holidays to be just enough to carry everything. I've seen people with 6 and 8 cases each before. Wish I could score a bigger luggage allowance on long haul flights.

Some Cunard passengers actually book two staterooms or suites - one to live in and one that is turned into a wardrobe room. A lady on one of my cruises did that. She had booked a Q1 to stay in and the adjoining Q2 to store her belongings.

She really must have had a lot because the Q1 suites have two walk in wardrobes with enough space for Maggiemou's belongings twice over.

We realized as we packed up the car, that, though we feel like we're bringing tons of stuff, the number of cases is exactly what we have if we are bike touring. However, in that case, we have bikes and their trailers in two cases, tools and bike stuff in one extra. Our clothes are on our backs. Kind of stressing getting our stuff to the terminal in the predicted rain and wind today (and logistics with returning the rental). A four block walk sounded easy until they brought up 65 mile wind gusts with the rain. I think it's a taxi day if we can find one willing to go 4 blocks :-)

It never seems enough!

Ben:

I've loved your style since first meeting you on our Roll Call, and continue to regret not seeing you more often on board.

Jeanne

Goodness, I was thinking of just upgrading form my regular case to a larger one and pack my suit and Tux in a suit bag.:D

Well I've got 120 dresses and 44 pairs of shoes already for my first world cruise - feeling that figure could increase somewhat as I have 3 years to go yet until my 50th birthday celebration!

I am so developing a feeling of inadequacy with my wardrobe of a dozen dresses :(

Well I've got 120 dresses and 44 pairs of shoes already for my first world cruise - feeling that figure could increase somewhat as I have 3 years to go yet until my 50th birthday celebration!

Maitai., please don't say that you don't look a day over 35...you've got years yet!:)

Ben:

I've loved your style since first meeting you on our Roll Call, and continue to regret not seeing you more often on board.

Jeanne

Hi Jeanne,

Unfortunately, it's hard living at the other end of the world. Less cruising options :(

I almost booked the QM2 Christmas for this year (would be good to see familiar faces) but opted for QE instead. Something new - NYE in Madiera looked great!

Might do QM2 in Dec 2016 - so our paths may cross again.

I am so developing a feeling of inadequacy with my wardrobe of a dozen dresses :(

babs, no need for such feelings!

Most men wear a tuxedo on formal nights - the same black tuxedo, some add a bit of color. They suffer no sense of inadequacy as result of having only packed one tuxedo. Women wearing a well tailored black gown is a classic response to the dress code.

But some women feel the need to pack more that one hundred dresses, several dozen of shoes- and that is certainly their very interesting choice. Why women feel the need to go to such extremes on an ocean voyage while accepting that men wear the same tuxedo is a curious topic.

Anyway, Babs, I don't think your wardrobe of twelve dresses is inadequate. And if anyone say otherwise, well

- Salacia