Live from the 2015 QE World Voyage

Scrapnana

Barbara, Don't ever be disturbed by the music in any venue around the ship (Cunard Public Rooms)

Either ask a duty crew member to turn it down 'a little' or do what I do in the event of no crew member around, take a quick look around the wall and you'll see a small perspex flap ... lift up the flat and turn the music down a notch ( to 3) and that is quite acceptable. I've often found that the volume of the music is for the benefit of the crew members rather than the guest who is trying to relax and read, or in my case struggling with sudoko . :(

I agree with you about music in the public rooms especially in the mornings, particularly cafe Carinthia/Sir Samuels) when one is trying to wake up with a latte fix ;)

Hi everyone! Just popping in to test..we received a note in the DP saying that today between 4:30 and 5:30 (I think) that the price for internet will be 50% off....hope this it true.

Anyway, glad to hear you are enjoying the blog.!

Karen, I can't wait to finally meet you in SFO!

Pat, I can't wait to meet up with you again in Sydney. I hope you have an

enjoyable time with your family until we swing by to pick you up!;) Thanks for the info about the change in Captains in Sydney.

Bell Boy, thank you for that info regarding the temp change panel...I will covertly ;) check it out! I know what you mean...first thing in the morning I am pretty awake but I like a little peace and quiet while I people watch or read.

At the moment, waiting for my hair to dry to get ready for the formal night tonight, as well as my first Senior Officers Cocktail Party! I am just an ordinary person so I hope I can behave myself appropriately...:o

TTFN...blog to follow tomorrow probably.

Hi everyone! Just popping in to test..we received a note in the DP saying that today between 4:30 and 5:30 (I think) that the price for internet will be 50% off....hope this it true.

enjoyable time with your family until we swing by to pick you up!;) Thanks for the info about the change in Captains in Sydney.

Bell Boy, thank you for that info regarding the temp change panel...I will covertly ;) check it out! I know what you mean...first thing in the morning I am pretty awake but I like a little peace and quiet while I people watch or read.

At the moment, waiting for my hair to dry to get ready for the formal night tonight, as well as my first Senior Officers Cocktail Party! I am just an ordinary person so I hope I can behave myself appropriately...:o

Good luck, :D

Hi alibabacruisers. When I read that, I had to smile...telling passengers that one hour of internet was 50% off...how many logged on at the same prime time, slowing down the connection? I wonder if fifty percent off an hour of internet connection during prime time results in the internet connect being even slower than normal? Is it really a 'bargain'? Great way to test the system.

Seriously, thanks for your posts, I appreciate your taking the time to share your voyage with us. Hope you had fun at the Cocktail party - they were lucky to have you a guest :) Cheers, -S.

Hi alibabacruisers. When I read that, I had to smile...telling passengers that one hour of internet was 50% off...how many logged on at the same prime time, slowing down the connection? I wonder if fifty percent off an hour of internet connection during prime time results in the internet connect being even slower than normal? Is it really a 'bargain'? Great way to test the system.

Salacia, when I was on a QM2 back to back in 2013 this internet "happy hour" was offered every three days or so. Not really "half price" but "two-for-one" minutes: if you were logged on for 30 minutes only 15 was deducted from your plan. If memory serves it was actually less slow logging on at that hour then later in the evening. Perhaps the onboard tech people actually knew to offer this at a time of low demand as 50% of passengers would be engaged in preparing for dinner at that hour.

I am scheduled to stop in Cabo in April whilst on QV. Would appreciate any information the current QE passengers might be able to provide regarding wine shop locations, selection, and pricing in Cabo.

On my last QM2 voyage I purchased several bottles in each port (NYC, Newport, Boston, etc...). Trying to decide how much wine to buy when we board in San Pedro. Hoping the Cabo wine shops will allow me to minimize my purchases in San Pedro.

Salacia, when I was on a QM2 back to back in 2013 this internet "happy hour" was offered every three days or so. Not really "half price" but "two-for-one" minutes: if you were logged on for 30 minutes only 15 was deducted from your plan. If memory serves it was actually less slow logging on at that hour then later in the evening. Perhaps the onboard tech people actually knew to offer this at a time of low demand as 50% of passengers would be engaged in preparing for dinner at that hour.

Last year Georgi (sp?), the tech guy, told us that the internet "Happy Hours" were chosen during times when there is low demand. Ours almost always were between 5-6pm which was great for me (second sitting) but not so great for first sitting. The connection didn't seem much different than other times.

Barbara,

Enjoying your updates and pretending I am still with you onboard.

I am scheduled to stop in Cabo in April whilst on QV. Would appreciate any information the current QE passengers might be able to provide regarding wine shop locations, selection, and pricing in Cabo.

On my last QM2 voyage I purchased several bottles in each port (NYC, Newport, Boston, etc...). Trying to decide how much wine to buy when we board in San Pedro. Hoping the Cabo wine shops will allow me to minimize my purchases in San Pedro.

Sorry to hijack your query but are you allowed to bring wine on at every port and not have it stowed for the remainder of the trip?

Sorry to hijack your query but are you allowed to bring wine on at every port and not have it stowed for the remainder of the trip?

Yes you are "allowed". You go through security on re boarding but they are not looking for booze though eyebrows might be raised if you bring on case.

Or probably not.

David.

Sunday 1st Feb

Since leaving Puntarenas we have been steadily heading in a north westerly direction at 20 knots towards Baja California, the long peninsula which separates the Gulf of California from the Pacific Ocean. We passed Acapulco last night and are currently 45 miles off the Mexican Coast near Cabo Corrientes, and Puerto Vallarta between the towns of Roca Negra and Cucharitas. We have about 265 miles to run to Cabo San Lucas and are due to arrive at 0800 tomorrow.

The weather the first couple of days was lovely warm sunshine, but today we have been affected by a cold front which has brought a small amount of rain and greyer skies. Hopefully this will move on or disperse as we approach Cabo San Lucas, although there are signs the weather is improving again.

These are the relaxing, take it easy days, whether it is sitting in the sunshine or finding the shade, visiting the galley or food demonstrations, attending port presentations or shopping talks or just regularly chilling out on the balcony with a glass or two.

For the last few mornings we have attended the Cunard Insights lectures given by Jim Jimmiro (founder of the Walt Disney Channel) who has been talking about Walt Disney and the Great American Songbook, by Jon Laverick about restoration work he has helped manage on Britain’s canal system, and also Martin Woodward about various forms of diving – from diving for Treasure to Commercial Diving around the world.

Entertainment the last few nights has featured Saxation, a quadruplet of dancing female saxophone players who have had a couple of shows, and were a different sort of act, and the excellent comedic talents of Liverpool Comedian John Martin, who was very good indeed.

This afternoon we had the Great Boat Building Competition which was help in the Pavilion Pool, which was won by the SS Trivia, which then transported the Assistant Entertainment Manager across the pool, and the runner up managed to also successfully carry Entertainment manager Leon de St Croix also !

In the theatre from 4pm Superbowl XLIX is being screened live, and theatre boxes could be booked for only $34.95 which included a selection of American treats and a jug of beer per person.

Tomorrow we have planned to take a whale watching excursion to hopefully view up close some of the whales we viewed from the QE last year, as we passed close inshore to Cabo San Lucas, and then just walk around this well known maritime sport resort.

We gain another hour tonight so will be UTC -7 tomorrow as we head generally towards California, and our stops in Long Beach and San Francisco, which marks the end of the second sector. Following a new influx of passengers we then continue on our transit across the pacific ocean to the warmer climes of Hawaii and Lahaina, and the south pacific.

Pat have a wonderful flight and see you on board soon !

John

That is what I did last September. At 3 different ports I brought 4 bottles of wine onboard. No issues. Just handed the bags to the xray operator. He would lay the bottles down and advise the guy on the other end that there were bottles in the bag. I just looked at Cunard's FAQs and it appears they may have recently changed their quite liberal policy...

The FAQ statement has been the same for few years at least. I've always interpreted it to say, "Our written policy is one bottle per passenger but we only intend to enforce it as an exception. We will enforce it if we feel a need to. Don't be unreasonable."

Passengers are permitted to bring one bottle of wine OR champagne per person (over the age of 21) on board, however all passengers should be aware of the below policies

We reserve the right to remove alcohol at the gangway if brought on board, either at embarkation or when in a port of call and will be returned to you at the end of your cruise. It is not our intention to invoke this policy as a matter of course and we will only implement on occasions where we consider it likely that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of passengers may otherwise be compromised.

The key words are "one bottle.. however... it is not our intention to invoke this policy..." Edited by Underwatr

That is what I did last September. At 3 different ports I brought 4 bottles of wine onboard. No issues. Just handed the bags to the xray operator. He would lay the bottles down and advise the guy on the other end that there were bottles in the bag. I just looked at Cunard's FAQs and it appears they may have recently changed their quite liberal policy...

We probably wont worry about it anyway unless there is a particular bottle of wine I want to try and the ship either doesn't have it (or it is far too expensive).

One or the other is typically the case in my experience. ;)

I don't drink much wine aside from on cruise, so I look for nice bottles at a good price to bring along. The objective is to shop at a price level where the $20 corkage doesn't make the wine more expensive than a similar bottle sold by the ship.

Sunday 1st Feb

Since leaving Puntarenas we have been steadily heading in a north westerly direction at 20 knots towards Baja California, the long peninsula which separates the Gulf of California from the Pacific Ocean. We passed Acapulco last night and are currently 45 miles off the Mexican Coast near Cabo Corrientes, and Puerto Vallarta between the towns of Roca Negra and Cucharitas. We have about 265 miles to run to Cabo San Lucas and are due to arrive at 0800 tomorrow.

The weather the first couple of days was lovely warm sunshine, but today we have been affected by a cold front which has brought a small amount of rain and greyer skies. Hopefully this will move on or disperse as we approach Cabo San Lucas, although there are signs the weather is improving again.

These are the relaxing, take it easy days, whether it is sitting in the sunshine or finding the shade, visiting the galley or food demonstrations, attending port presentations or shopping talks or just regularly chilling out on the balcony with a glass or two.

For the last few mornings we have attended the Cunard Insights lectures given by Jim Jimmiro (founder of the Walt Disney Channel) who has been talking about Walt Disney and the Great American Songbook, by Jon Laverick about restoration work he has helped manage on Britain’s canal system, and also Martin Woodward about various forms of diving – from diving for Treasure to Commercial Diving around the world.

Entertainment the last few nights has featured Saxation, a quadruplet of dancing female saxophone players who have had a couple of shows, and were a different sort of act, and the excellent comedic talents of Liverpool Comedian John Martin, who was very good indeed.

This afternoon we had the Great Boat Building Competition which was help in the Pavilion Pool, which was won by the SS Trivia, which then transported the Assistant Entertainment Manager across the pool, and the runner up managed to also successfully carry Entertainment manager Leon de St Croix also !

In the theatre from 4pm Superbowl XLIX is being screened live, and theatre boxes could be booked for only $34.95 which included a selection of American treats and a jug of beer per person.

Tomorrow we have planned to take a whale watching excursion to hopefully view up close some of the whales we viewed from the QE last year, as we passed close inshore to Cabo San Lucas, and then just walk around this well known maritime sport resort.

We gain another hour tonight so will be UTC -7 tomorrow as we head generally towards California, and our stops in Long Beach and San Francisco, which marks the end of the second sector. Following a new influx of passengers we then continue on our transit across the pacific ocean to the warmer climes of Hawaii and Lahaina, and the south pacific.

John

Lovely to read your update John. Thanks for your good wishes. See you in just over a month.

Sunday 1st Feb

John

Hi John & Andrea, I am still following you around the globe.

We arrive home two weeks ago now and it seems an age away but keeping up with you all. Enjoying Barbara's reports and your blogs of course. Plus the rest of the blogs.

I hope you have a good day in San Fran.

For the people asking about taking booze on board there was no problem last year, or previous years on a world cruise and we bought things we needed around the world in different stores.

There is a big Safeway within walking distance from where the ship docks. You can get all supplies there. :)

Hope you are enjoying my book John. Have you finished it yet? :)

Did I tell you the Captain requested a copy? I gave him a copy and signed it and he sent me a lovely letter in return, and invited me to join him for dinner on our next cruise. :)

I also donated my book into the library on deck three.

John, forgot to tell you. Mel, in the photo shop was one of the girls I write about in the book who was left behind on the Panama Canal when we were on Arcadia. Do you remember that incident.? Go say Hi to her.

Have a good day, Maggie.

Edited by maggiemou

Interesting reading re UAE: this is one list of banned substances in UAE (but not necessarily comprehensive) - much more extensive than info from Cunard - including several over-the-counter cold and cough medications (non-narcotic). Can also be an issue if it's in your bloodstream from previous consumption (see second link). We will be extra careful to not have any medications touch the daypack we'll use those days.

http://www.fairtrials.org/press/list-of-controlled-pharmaceutical-substances-in-uae/

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/drugs-dubai.php

Interesting reading re UAE: this is one list of banned substances in UAE (but not necessarily comprehensive) - much more extensive than info from Cunard - including several over-the-counter cold and cough medications (non-narcotic). Can also be an issue if it's in your bloodstream from previous consumption (see second link). We will be extra careful to not have any medications touch the daypack we'll use those days.

http://www.fairtrials.org/press/list-of-controlled-pharmaceutical-substances-in-uae/

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/drugs-dubai.php

Interesting, thanks for sharing.