Credit card travel insurance

At the end of the day, whatever type of insurance you take out, get the policy document and fully peruse same !!

Yep - I may have a smallish claim (US$300-400) for some medical costs I incurred for a bout of vertigo ... I am about to go and read the PDS. The costs haven't gone through to my CBA CC yet, I am waiting to find out what the conversion rate will be (ouchy) so I know the actual A$ cost!

I purchase Annual Insurance as I take 2-3 holidsys per year. My next one is a little longer than usual at 40 days but my usual Insurance Co has maximum ttips of 35 days. Someone mentioned that you can buy policies which allow up to 60 days. Can we mention the name of this Insurance Co please.

We have purchased an annual travel insurance policy with maximum of 60days through RACQ, motoring organisation in Queensland.

For those wanting insurance for domestic cruises, maybe medical only cover would be sufficient. I have done this previously and also for other travel when credit card company refused to cover my husband for medical.

We have been looking at how we would go with a cruise that is within Australian waters, as we are going Sydney to Tassie/Adelaide, and we used our credit card to pay for the cruise part of the trip, but have loaded a prepaid card from another institution and were going to use that for the hire car payment.

We also have seen good comments from others about the credit card insurance, and a friend that works for our bank says she has had no issues claiming, and she does a lot of travelling.

It is all part of the same holiday, so what does the brains trust here think? Should be use our platinum card for the actual car hire to be sure we have the insurance?

Does a cruise only in Aussie ports make any difference insurance wise?

We have always used our crtedit card for our travel insurance and I particularly asked the agent about how much of our travel would be covered. I was advised that if the outgoing and return journey was booked with the card then everything we did while away was covered by insurance. At that tieme I was going to UK for 10 weeks so there was a lot of costs that were also covered and I also have in the past had a claim which was settled very quickly and well.

We have always used our crtedit card for our travel insurance and I particularly asked the agent about how much of our travel would be covered. I was advised that if the outgoing and return journey was booked with the card then everything we did while away was covered by insurance. At that tieme I was going to UK for 10 weeks so there was a lot of costs that were also covered and I also have in the past had a claim which was settled very quickly and well.

Who was your insurance underwriter?

Just got the $6 a day insurance from Aust Post, and it actually lists "Domestic Cruising" along with the various countries it covers. (There is a $10 a day that does USA and some others)

Unlimited medical, and $3000 hire car. I know some of the others have higher levels for hire car excess insurance, but we are comfortable with that.

That's a good deal. especially for the car rental part.:D

• 1 month later...

Can someone with ANZ Platinum card tell me where to find the clause re " cruise is required to visit an international port to be covered" in the policy.

I know I read it when we were doing a domestic cruise and had to take out other insurance. I have read through the latest policy and can't find it anywhere. They refer to "returning to your home in Australia"

Also I noticed that the initial amount to activate the insurance can now be made by a "participating cardholder" which in the definition is the primary cardholder or additional cardholder.

Anyone have any info? Might have to make a call tomorrow to clarify.

Chez

xx

Edited by cheznandy

Can someone with ANZ Platinum card tell me where to find the clause re " cruise is required to visit an international port to be covered" in the policy.

I know I read it when we were doing a domestic cruise and had to take out other insurance. I have read through the latest policy and can't find it anywhere. They refer to "returning to your home in Australia"

Also I noticed that the initial amount to activate the insurance can now be made by a "participating cardholder" which in the definition is the primary cardholder or additional cardholder.

Anyone have any info? Might have to make a call tomorrow to clarify.

Chez

xx

There are a few references but, for example, most people primarily want it for medical cover.

If you look at their coverage, they only cover expenses "

that you suffer while you are overseas, or onboard a cruise

that includes a scheduled stopover at an international port."

The entire policy refers to it being overseas cover, so domestic travel is excluded.

From the ANZ Platinum Cards Insurance booklet, in relation to overseas Travel and Medical Insurance.

Overseas =outside of Australia and its territories, including any cruise that has a scheduled stop at an international port.

http://www.anz.com.au/Documents/AU/feecharge/Platinum-Cards-Insurance-booklet.pdf (page 22)

Edited by MicCanberra

Thanks guys, I found it:rolleyes:

I just thought that it might have changed as I couldn't find it

I also confirmed by phone that either card holder can make the purchase to activate cover.

I am trying to organise cover for my parents, age 72 - 73. As Dad has a pre existing, I have called a few for info, it is amazing how some travel insurers are still trying to sell me a Domestic policy for a cruise that only visits OZ ports.......I ask what is the medical cover/treatment included, they say, "oh no, you can use medicare:eek: you dont need it!!

No wonder people are confused and are sold the wrong cover.

Chez

xx

Thanks guys, I found it:rolleyes:

I just thought that it might have changed as I couldn't find it

I also confirmed by phone that either card holder can make the purchase to activate cover.

I am trying to organise cover for my parents, age 72 - 73. As Dad has a pre existing, I have called a few for info, it is amazing how some travel insurers are still trying to sell me a Domestic policy for a cruise that only visits OZ ports.......I ask what is the medical cover/treatment included, they say, "oh no, you can use medicare:eek: you dont need it!!

No wonder people are confused and are sold the wrong cover.

Chez

xx

Yes, and the issue is they are very happy to sell you any policy but if and when you go to claim, the fine print comes out.:(

Edited by MicCanberra

You may find that you could get by with medical cover only as there shouldn't be any need for accident cover etc. This is what I have done previously for cruise visiting Oz ports. Medibank Pte will do this. Hope you get it sorted.

You may find that you could get by with medical cover only as there shouldn't be any need for accident cover etc. This is what I have done previously for cruise visiting Oz ports. Medibank Pte will do this. Hope you get it sorted.

Took out Bare Essentials Insurance for Mum n dad with Insure and go. They have a cruise cover, (drop down box where it says policy type) Bare Essentials covers medical and a few other things, but what they need for a 7 night cruise with Australian ports.

Added on pre existing and it was only$30 more, so very happy!!

They also insure up to 100yrs of age and look at all pre existing conditions.

http://www.insureandgo.com.au/travel-insurance/cruise-travel-insurance.html

Info on cruise insurance

Chez

xx

Edited by cheznandy

I have HSBC credit card and always use their insurance which is free

As said if we were travelling within Australia by land we would not have cover

However we have been advised if we pay for the exit from Australia and the return trip WHATEVER we purchase and do while away fromk Australia (even if not paid for by ythe card) is covered

I have had a couple of claims for loss and theft but thank goodness not for medical or delay (as we aleways travel well before a cruise)

I have obviously to pay whatever % charge the travel agent requires for a purchase but this is way way less than an insurance we would be for people our age.:confused::confused::confused:

Thank you credit cards

However we have been advised if we pay for the exit from Australia and the return trip WHATEVER we purchase and do while away fromk Australia (even if not paid for by ythe card) is covered

I have had a couple of claims for loss and theft but thank goodness not for medical or delay (as we aleways travel well before a cruise)

I have obviously to pay whatever % charge the travel agent requires for a purchase but this is way way less than an insurance we would be for people our age.:confused::confused::confused:

Thank you credit cards

Yes, there is the slight fee for using the credit card (1%) but $2.50 is still a very cheap fee for insurance.:D

Thank you credit cards

Yes, there is the slight fee for using the credit card (1%) but $2.50 is still a very cheap fee for insurance.:D

• 1 month later...