Your thoughts on a Snow Room on a cruise ship

Karysa

Are you serious? Good grief, come up here to the "frozen tundra" and you can see snow at least 6 months of the year! I wonder if they will be adding the wind chill factor to it as well - this morning we are at a balmy -39C wind chill, but a few days ago we peaked at -50C. Uh, no, we won't be partaking of the "Snow Room".

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Are you serious? Good grief, come up here to the "frozen tundra" and you can see snow at least 6 months of the year! I wonder if they will be adding the wind chill factor to it as well - this morning we are at a balmy -39C wind chill, but a few days ago we peaked at -50C. Uh, no, we won't be partaking of the "Snow Room".

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Haha yep I am serious. I read it here on cc in the news section. The snow room will apparently be part of the thermal spa on the Escape.

Well, they already have an "Ice Bar", but I escaped from New Jersey to Florida to get away from the cold and snow (among other things), and hope to never see the stuff again!

Hey, how about a monsoon room? An earth quake room? What will Sheehan and his crew think of next?!! :D

At first I thought this thread was going to display a sense of humor.

What the heck we are almost snowed in and freezing here.

But as I read on, wow, what a great idea, for those who never experience the joy of snow.

It's really nice in December, but come January, I need spring.

What next???

Safe travels.

Haha yep I am serious. I read it here on cc in the news section. The snow room will apparently be part of the thermal spa on the Escape.

I think it's perfect. As part of the thermal spa, it will give everyone a chance to make snow angels!!! Part of any good vacation to a ski resort was the experience of being in the hot tub, then jumping out, rolling in the snow, and jumping back in!!!! The sauna experience is a very Scandanavian thing - includes the winter… Why not experience the "real" thing while cruising???

I think it's perfect. As part of the thermal spa, it will give everyone a chance to make snow angels!!! Part of any good vacation to a ski resort was the experience of being in the hot tub, then jumping out, rolling in the snow, and jumping back in!!!! The sauna experience is a very Scandanavian thing - includes the winter… Why not experience the "real" thing while cruising???

Didn't say anything about hot"springs" or a hot tub being in the room which would make it a little more palatable to me.:) I didn't see enough snow to make snow angels either. The loungers are heated if that would be the deal breaker for anyone.:D

Well, they already have an "Ice Bar", but I escaped from New Jersey to Florida to get away from the cold and snow (among other things), and hope to never see the stuff again!

Hey, how about a monsoon room? An earth quake room? What will Sheehan and his crew think of next?!! :D

I agree! Being from California, I feel discriminated against with this 'snow room' idea. We need an earthquake room so we can feel at home. :D

Edited by fortinweb

I think it's nuts. What next?

Cruise ships are not amusement parks..... can't we have two different entities? Does a cruise ship have to be all things? Snow is readily available for play and viewing in all over the world. If one wants a snow trip, there are fabulous places from which to choose.

Except it won't be Sheehan now, it will be Del Rio.

I grew up in a snow belt, and I like others, cruise to go to warm weather. No snow room or ice bar for me. I can have snow by going out my door right now.

That is exactly the point....... :D

If you want snow, go to 'any good vacation to a ski resort", as you say. :)

The real thing is at the ski resort not a cruise ship in the Caribbean.

I think it's nuts. What next?

Cruise ships are not amusement parks..... can't we have two different entities? Does a cruise ship have to be all things? Snow is readily available for play and viewing in all over the world. If one wants a snow trip, there are fabulous places from which to choose.

It seems like they are now trying to make ships "all things to all people", which actually is making them less attractive to many.

So NCL is going to have a Snow Room on the Escape. Looking out my window I can honestly say....Are you kidding me!!!:eek:

Anyone looking forward to this?

I think that's yet another reason why NCL holds absolutely ZERO appeal to me and my preferences as to a cruise vacation

It looks to me that it is a spa experience, hot/cold, rather than a weather experience. It's common to have a cold plunge pool near hot/steam areas.

The article states that there will be 17 heated loungers. Can't imagine having to come early and throw your towel down on one of those.:D

With winter plunging everything north of the 30th parallel into a deep freeze, and people going on a cruise to, um..., escape (see what I did there?) from the cold, NCL turns around and puts a snow room, of all things, on their ship. Perhaps it's Norwegian's homage to their name or the country where Escape was built (Germany).

Many Nordic countries have a pastime of sitting in a sauna until you can't stand it, then running outside and rolling around in the snow. (In cities, the snow is substituted by a cold plunge pool.) It's supposed to be good for your nervous system and cleanse out toxins. So NCL probably thought: "Why not introduce this Nordic tradition to the Americans?"

What NCL didn't realize is that most Americans aren't fans of cold weather, and the ice and snow it brings along (unless they're going skiing). Or perhaps they're planning to eventually reposition Escape to Europe, where the sauna/snow thing is almost the norm.

As part of a spa, this makes sense because snow rooms have been a big trend in high end spas all over the world since 2008. There's already a snow room at Caesar's Palace QUA Spa in Las Vegas for instance and QUA Spa is considered the best Spa in Las Vegas, one of the top 100 best spas in the USA and also one of the top 100 best spas worldwide. The snow room at QUA Spa has been very popular with spa guests. It's a proven concept. So, I can see why, when NCL is trying to build a world class spa experience on their ships, they would choose to include the snow room. For those who don't want to go to the spa or use the snow room, please feel free to avoid it. That just leaves extra room for those of us who do enjoy spas and feel that a great spa is an important part of a relaxing vacation experience.