Crew Welfare Fund

rafinmd

No, I am referring to the aid for orphanages, huge contributions to any number of worthy causes that the ships as well as Seattle Officers participate. I have read often where they sponsor various events, hold luncheons as fund raisers on the ships, and contribute very generously as a corporation.

Please don't infer anything negative about the good works this corporation does.

On Deck for the Cause is something they sponsor for anyone who wishes to participate.

No reason to put such a negative slant on it.

HAL is a charitable, generous and philanthropic company and their crews donate their hard work and time in various ports bringing donated furnishings, mattresses, linens etc to needy groups. They have volunteered to paint, do small carpentry and many good deeds to lend assistance.

No, I am referring to the aid for orphanages, huge contributions to any number of worthy causes that the ships as well as Seattle Officers participate. I have read often where they sponsor various events, hold luncheons as fund raisers on the ships, and contribute very generously as a corporation.

Please don't infer anything negative about the good works this corporation does.

On Deck for the Cause is something they sponsor for anyone who wishes to participate.

HAL is a charitable, generous and philanthropic company and their crews donate their hard work and time in various ports bringing donated furnishings, mattresses, linens etc to needy groups. They have volunteered to paint, do small carpentry and many good deeds to lend assistance.

So they donate their old mattresses and dinning room chairs?

Holland America Line Honors World Cancer Day with On Deck for a Cause Fundraising Walks

As a part of its ongoing cancer research fundraising and awareness program, Holland America Line will hold On Deck for a Cause events this week across its fleet of 15 ships in support of World Cancer Day. From Australia and Antarctica to the Indian Ocean and Caribbean, guests and crew around the world will gather on deck to make the walk amid glaciers, palm trees and the Panama Canal.

On Deck for a Cause invites guests to participate in a noncompetitive 5k fundraising walk on every sailing of the line’s ships, with proceeds distributed among the American Cancer Society, Canadian Cancer Society, Cancer Council Australia, Cancer Research UK, Deutsche Krebshilfe (German Cancer Aid) and KWF Kankerbestrijding (Dutch Cancer Society). These walks take place on more than 500 cruises each year.

“Although we support the fight against cancer year-round with our On Deck for a Cause program, World Cancer Day is a time to reflect on the potential we have to impact future treatment and prevention,” said Richard Meadows, executive vice president marketing, sales and guest programs for Holland America Line. “Cancer is a disease that affects every region in the world, and we’re proud to support top organizations in those countries where many of our guests come from.”

Since fully launching across the line’s 15 ships in mid-2013, On Deck for a Cause fundraising events have raised more than $200,000 with 200 walks and more than 10,000 participants. Holland America Line began its onboard fundraising walks in 2006 with On Deck for a Cure which raised more than $3 million to fund breast cancer research, education and treatment.

With On Deck for a Cause, guests of all ages are invited to donate $20 to the Holland America Line Foundation, and a minimum of 80 percent ($16) is distributed to the organizations. The remaining 20 percent covers program and administrative expenses. On a day at sea, participants join in a 5k walk around the ship’s decks. Guests may walk less or not at all, as they prefer. Participants also receive an On Deck for a Cause T-shirt, wristband and a reception following the walk. Depending on the ship, the distance to reach 5k ranges from nine to 12 laps.

Holland America Line and its corporate foundation’s charitable giving programs include cash sponsorships, in-kind donations, shipboard events, free- and reduced-fare cruise donations for nonprofit fundraising events, donations of usable shipboard items around the world, employee volunteerism and other philanthropic activities.

Yes they do. If you are interested simply leave a note to the Front Office. They will send an old mattress and a pair of dining room chairs. Just make sure your address is correct.

:p

Yes they do. If you are interested simply leave a note to the Front Office. They will send an old mattress and a pair of dining room chairs. Just make sure your address is correct.

:p

Is the freight/shipping 'pre-paid'? :D

OK.... I'll take you on to on this. First time I'm cruising I'll bring this up. I don't mind.... sometime I paint when cruising... just for fun.... keeps me out of the bar..... at least until lunch in Pinnacle.;)

Best result on one Saga cruise I was able to pitch in almost $8000. That was for charity... such items as, small home for orphans in the Philippines, a school in Cape Town another for children in Equador. Total raised on one world cruise was over $20,000 and Saga Cruising matched that amount.... this is every year. For Crew Welfare Fund.... small piece raised a couple thousand.

Stephen

You must be a very talented artist! What do you like to paint, Topsham? That is a very nice gesture that you make when you cruise, and sounds like a win-win situation.

I've seen crew members go ashore during port calls to offer their services in ports that have been hit by a hurricane. I agree there are a lot of crew members that contribute where and when they can. I witnessed this personally after hurricane Ike hit Grand Turk. And the cruise companies contribute plenty too. The cruise lines donate lots of supplies and food in ports that they frequent after natural disasters.

You must be a very talented artist! What do you like to paint, Topsham? That is a very nice gesture that you make when you cruise, and sounds like a win-win situation.

TOPSHAM's renderings of the Holland America Ships are displayed on most of the HAL ships. They are exceptional representations of the fleet.

Planes & Boats!:)

Here a few from a recent show.

Stephen

1829437492_1.WINDJAMMERII201414X18UTRECHTKLMSN2014.jpg.1da66eddd167f8dbdb6c6fbca0829290.jpg

517824301_18.WINDJAMMERII201420X16NwAMSTERDAMC_1938.jpg.b88c7fc77cd73ea6bbf56e37dfa540a3.jpg

302153346_8.WINDJAMMERII201412X16SEAVENTURE2June1609.jpg.205471fff3b8ca5a0058f932aad56489.jpg

714336936_13.WINDJAMMERII201418X24PRISCILLAC_1928.jpg.c5b2f0d618a4767a8270a093c8a1bcc9.jpg

1002955312_10.WINDJAMMERII201411X14CHAUNCEYM.DEPEW1939.jpg.8df76ee9b28da5546b52a9bc043ffdfc.jpg

Can't miss the Captain's art work in the fwd public staircases of the dam ships ;)

StatendamIV3_zpsb76d625b.jpg

To me there is a difference in making donations of money collected on board a ship for charity and making donations from corporate profits. I have no idea what percentage of HAL's corporate profits are dedicated to charity, but I hope their philanthropy is not limited to passenger donations and used items. Sail7Seas said "I love giving to a crew fund." I have never known there was one or how to contribute. I would love to know of a wish list for crew members that could be taken care of by appreciative "guests." Cherie

I'm sure they would come in useful. The crew of the Ryndam helped an orphanage in Honduras before Christmas. Every child was "adopted" by a crew member who bought personalised presents for them. Those who couldnt choose a child ( because they were quickly " taken "up) donated money to buy essental supplies. Others donated supplies such as soap, shampoo clothing ect. The response was immediate and very generous. No child was without this Christmas. Not sure if mattresses were donated but if offered they would have been snapped up. Those with nothing and existing on donations only are extremely grateful for what is willingly donated. Nothing to do with the crew fund I know but just wanted to point out that what is not required by one is very much treasured by those who have little

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

TOPSHAM's renderings of the Holland America Ships are displayed on most of the HAL ships. They are exceptional representations of the fleet.

Not to overlook the tiles we get at the Mariner Brunch.

Roy

I'm sure they would come in useful. The crew of the Ryndam helped an orphanage in Honduras before Christmas. Every child was "adopted" by a crew member who bought personalised presents for them. Those who couldnt choose a child ( because they were quickly " taken "up) donated money to buy essental supplies. Others donated supplies such as soap, shampoo clothing ect. The response was immediate and very generous. No child was without this Christmas. Not sure if mattresses were donated but if offered they would have been snapped up. Those with nothing and existing on donations only are extremely grateful for what is willingly donated. Nothing to do with the crew fund I know but just wanted to point out that what is not required by one is very much treasured by those who have little

There is a difference between corporation donating money or buying brand new goods versus Hal crew buying goods with their own money for the kids in Honduras.

Absolutely there is. I just thought that I would point out that donated mattresses which you seem to be disparaging of come in useful to those who have nothing. Nothing to do with the topic but sometimes things do go of topic😄

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Captain Albert and the SDAM crew on their own rebuilt essentially an elementary school in Panama (might've been Mexico, my memory escapes me). They put in so much construction work, painting, furnishing, etc the school that was inhabitable.

They to this day keep up the school with work, furniture, etc.

Captain Albert and the SDAM crew on their own rebuilt essentially an elementary school in Panama (might've been Mexico, my memory escapes me). They put in so much construction work, painting, furnishing, etc the school that was inhabitable.

They to this day keep up the school with work, furniture, etc.

That was in Corinto, Nicaragua ;)

And there are numerous examples of HAL crews doing wonderful things for people who need help so badly. All the years I've sailed HAL, I always admire the 'silent' assistance they provide. It really stings for anyone to speak poorly of such selflessness. They are good people doing good things.

Great thread Roy.

I have seen the funds on all of the ships I have been on and am glad to hear that all the ships have them as per Copper.

For the cynic that thinks it isn't necessary, didn't you have a staff fund at work? We certainly did for special things whether it be flowers if something happened to a staff member, parties, lunch room, whatever and yes, our employer paid for the lunch room stuff. The bottom line is that these funds are morale boosters at times.

I too was stunned that Oceania didn't have one when I read it on their boards. I, for one am glad that HAL does.

For the cynic that thinks it isn't necessary, didn't you have a staff fund at work? We certainly did for special things whether it be flowers if something happened to a staff member, parties, lunch room, whatever and yes, our employer paid for the lunch room stuff. The bottom line is that these funds are morale boosters at times.

Was your fund funded by your customers?

There's a difference between a birthday club into which each employee gives a few bucks for cake and having a jar on the counter at the bank asking customers to put money in for cake.

Was your fund funded by your customers?

There's a difference between a birthday club into which each employee gives a few bucks for cake and having a jar on the counter at the bank asking customers to put money in for cake.

As Copper has said, the fund is NOT funded by customers. It has other sources of funds, and I'm sure very few customers even know that it exists. It is only because I have been aware of it on other cruise lines and asked the question that most of us even know that it exists.

Roy