Lox-smoked salmon

4gomez

Lox is smoked salmon. Nova lox is not salty tasting, while belly lox (rarely offered anymore, anywhere) is salty tasting. They are both smoked salmon.

Actually, ahecht is correct. Lox, when used on its own without modifiers, simply refers to salmon that is brine cured. It is not smoked. Belly lox is lox from the belly of the salmon.

Nova smoked salmon, or what some people incorrectly call Nova lox, isn't really lox at all. It is a lightly smoked salmon, not brined, and has a consistency similar to lox, which is why the lox monicker has seemingly attached to it.

Edited by nolesrule

Actually, ahecht is correct. Lox, when used on its own without modifiers, simply refers to salmon that is brine cured. It is not smoked. Belly lox is lox from the belly of the salmon.

Nova smoked salmon, or what some people incorrectly call Nova lox, isn't really lox at all. It is a lightly smoked salmon, not brined, and has a consistency similar to lox, which is why the lox monicker has seemingly attached to it.

Homemade lox:

Take a nice salmon filet, Make sure there are no pin bones. Rinse well and lay on a bed of Kosher (not iodized table salt) cover with another healthy layer of salt and maybe a sprig or two of dill. Wrap tightly in saran and refrigerate for 2 days. Rinse of a slice or two and taste, if not right recover with salt and leave for another day. The timing depends on how thick the filet is. NO smoke involved..

It can be packaged (vacuum bags are best) and frozen in portion sizes for future use.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans
Dill not thyme..Getting too old LOL.

Homemade lox:

Take a nice salmon filet, Make sure there are no pin bones. Rinse well and lay on a bed of Kosher (not iodized table salt) cover with another healthy layer of salt and maybe a sprig or two of dill. Wrap tightly in saran and refrigerate for 2 days. Rinse of a slice or two and taste, if not right recover with salt and leave for another day. The timing depends on how thick the filet is. NO smoke involved..

It can be packaged (vacuum bags are best) and frozen in portion sizes for future use.

bosco

That sounds delicious.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Well I learned a few things:

Lox, nova lox, and smoked salmon can be more than 1 or defined by itself. I have smoked salmon in my pantry which I know is not lox. The only thing now that is throwing me off is that salt cured (with some distilled spirits) is considered gravlax in my neck of the woods. Thanks all for your input.

Joe

I've always assumed that gravlax differed from lox in that it was cured with salt, sugar, and dill (and other optional flavors such as aquavit, horseradish, peppercorns, or juniper berries) while lox was just salt cured.

I've always assumed that gravlax differed from lox in that it was cured with salt, sugar, and dill (and other optional flavors such as aquavit, horseradish, peppercorns, or juniper berries) while lox was just salt cured.

That's what I always have understood the differences to be.

Old Brooklyn circa 1940's-1950's

LOX = Salted filets of salmon. NO SUGARS OR SPICES, JUST SALT

I add a little dill to it and it becomes GravLox.

A rose by any other name...

Only problem I have with real smoked salmon is it kinda mushy, not firm, cold smoked(liquid smoke) not as bad.

bosco

Regardless of what you call it, it was NOT on display on a recent Freedom cruise (December 2014) and Explorer cruise (january 2015) . I asked about it one day (I already had a full platter and did not want it that day) and was told to ask a specific person the next day.

It was available every morning in the MDR.

ENJOY

m

Debarked radiance yesterday. It was available in the MDR breakfast (smoked salmon plate) and in the windjammer after the first day. They had the salmon, cream cheese, capers, lemon and onions over to the side with other deli items such as salami. Bagels were with the toast.

Never had to ask for anything, this was just set out every day.

Sorry folks. This is incorrect. As someone who has inspected smoked fish operations, let me set this straight.

Both lox and nova are brined and then smoked. The difference is in the amount of salt in the brine, the length of the smoke, and the temperature of the smoking chamber.

Lox has a high salt content in the brine. The smoke is a "short" "hot" smoke.

Nova has less salt in the brine (therefore tastes less salty). The smoke is a "long" "cool" smoke.

For specifics on brine concentration and temperature/smoke time, look up 21 Code of Federal Regulation Section 113 and 114.

Edited by Homosassa

• 3 weeks later...

We did three RCCL cruises in 2014. On Jewel you could get it in the buffet when you asked. On Grandeur it was sometimes available in the buffet when you asked. On Freedom in November it was non-existent in Windjammer (we asked every day) but available in the dining room (only did that one day).

Oasis.. Last week. Windjammer

It was not out on the first day. Asked a "white" shirt and he got it for me. He said it would be out every other day. Looked for it the second day. It was not out. Asked and received.

Gave up on the third day onward and went to the dining room for breakfast. It was on the menu every day.

On the last few cruises (in the CL) I have noticed that some days it's brined and smoked and some days it is brined and citrus cured. Makes for an interesting variation.

At home, I cut both my brine time and smoke time in half. Makes for much more juicy and tender salmon however it needs to be kept in the frig and only good for a few weeks (as if it would actually last that long:eek:).

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently on Allure and there is no more smoked salmon in the Solarium or Park Cafe. In January, it was available in the Solarium from Day 4 and always available in Park Cafe.

Apparently, it is still available in the dining room.

Andrew

Just off Brilliance. No salmon in CL or DL ever.None in the WJ. Had it at Chops breakfast every day, and it was on the menu in the dining room.

On our recent Indy cruise salmon was in the DL and on the MDR menu and all you needed to do was ask for it in WJ and you gotten it.

Just off Brilliance. No salmon in CL or DL ever.None in the WJ. Had it at Chops breakfast every day, and it was on the menu in the dining room.

Did you head over to Park Cafe? That's where were had it every morning.

• 7 months later...

On our Liberty cruise last week, we were told that it was available on request only. So, I requested it and I lost count of how many people asked me where I got it from. I suppose they got a lot of requests that day because after that, it was out on the buffet every day.

I was on the IOS in September and they had it in both the MDR and the Windjammer. I am not a breakfast eater but will rotate between the Eggs Benedict and lox & bagels every day during the cruise. Matter of fact the only time I eat lox and bagels is on a cruise as it is too expensive to buy.