Changing cabin after final payment?

happyscmom

Is it possible to change a cabin within the same category after final payment? I am booked on Reflection March 28. I called about upgrading to concierge but found out I would lose 123, so I am not doing that. I'm wondering if you can move within a category. I am supposed to be in 6235, but I'm worried about the noise. (There is nothing about this cabin, specifically, on the sticky thread). I see that 7322 (more aft) is available in the same category. Does anyone know if this is permitted without losing 123?

Is it possible to change a cabin within the same category after final payment? I am booked on Reflection March 28. I called about upgrading to concierge but found out I would lose 123, so I am not doing that. I'm wondering if you can move within a category. I am supposed to be in 6235, but I'm worried about the noise. (There is nothing about this cabin, specifically, on the sticky thread). I see that 7322 (more aft) is available in the same category. Does anyone know if this is permitted without losing 123?

There should be no problem moving cabins within the same category, even after final payment.

We changed cabin over the weekend and kept our package - paid a bit more to move to different category but kept the package.

There was someone at Celebrity UK at the weekend telling everyone that they would lose beverage packages if you changed. Once they phoned Miami everything was OK. There was a cruise show on at weekend and I suspect that all the regular staff were there

We also did it last year late on to one of the AQ hump balcony which became available after final payment from another A1 cabin at no extra cost.

We changed cabin over the weekend and kept our package - paid a bit more to move to different category but kept the package.

There was someone at Celebrity UK at the weekend telling everyone that they would lose beverage packages if you changed. Once they phoned Miami everything was OK. There was a cruise show on at weekend and I suspect that all the regular staff were there

We also did it last year late on to one of the AQ hump balcony which became available after final payment from another A1 cabin at no extra cost.

Hmmm...that is really interesting. I called this weekend and was told I could pay $140 more total to move to Concierge, but I would lose my 123......

I wonder if it is just the luck of who you get when you make these calls?

Hmmm...that is really interesting. I called this weekend and was told I could pay $140 more total to move to Concierge, but I would lose my 123......

I wonder if it is just the luck of who you get when you make these calls?

Sometimes it is who you talk to, but sometimes you can lose your perks if the new price is a special like an "Exciting Deal." Call again and see what happens. We moved our cabin to a higher category after final payment, paid the difference and kept our perks --- but I do know that this is not always possible.

You may also want to wait until about a week before you cruise and ask your TA to contact them to see if there are any free upgrades. We have been upgraded three times on previous cruises just by asking at the last minute.

happyscmom - I thought we established the upgrade question on that other thread. ;)

The reason we cannot upgrade our category and keep the 123 is because the old promo is gone and the new promo does not include our sailing. March cruises were left out of the new promo. If the new promo was valid for our sailing, we would be able to make changes and keep the incentives.

Personally, I think we should be able to pay extra and upgrade, along with keeping our incentives. I don't understand why Celebrity is turning down more money from consumers. Their loss! :rolleyes:

Yes, unless this rule has also changed, you may switch staterooms (within the same category) after final payment. We switched locations just prior to final payment for our cruise with you. Have also changed many times afterwards on other cruises...though mostly to a higher category. :rolleyes:

Edited by Iamthesea

happyscmom - I thought we established the upgrade question on that other thread.

The reason we cannot upgrade our category and keep the 123 is because the old promo is gone and the new promo does not include our sailing. March cruises were left out of the new promo. If the new promo was valid for our sailing, we would be able to make changes and keep the incentives.

Personally, I think we should be able to pay extra and upgrade, along with keeping our incentives. I don't understand why Celebrity is turning down more money from consumers. Their loss!

Actually the cruise line will always be happy to take more money from you to upgrade. The reason you can't do it is probably because the cruise fare now is much lower than whatever you already paid. Otherwise you can pay more to upgrade because the current promo is irrelevant to whether you can keep the old one when you upgrade.

As to the OP, she should be able to move to a different stateroom within the same category for no additional charge and keep your promo. This seems like an easy request to satisfy.

What I have learned over the years is that there are few absolutes in the cruise business, and nearly anything can be done at any time if you have the right travel agent, talk to the right customer service person, and/or have the right timing. As just two examples, I have personally (1) upgraded after final payment and did not have to give up the promo, and (2) booked guarantees and got an immediate assignment of my requested staterooms.

So the bottom line is that nearly anything is possible depending on the skill, ability and perseverance of your TA, the willingness and cooperation of the customer service rep you get, how desperate the cruiseline is in general on that day, the alignment of the planets and stars, etc. The key is to make a compelling case to the cruiseline as to why they should do it and that it would be mutually beneficial. :D

Good luck! :)

Edited by Terpnut

happyscmom - I thought we established the upgrade question on that other thread. ;)

My question really wasn't about changing categories anymore, it was about changing ROOMS within the same category. I just called and they reconfirmed that you cannot give them more money and move categories, but I can move within the same category. I was on deck 6, but the more I looked at the map, I realized we were right over a lot of the social stuff on deck 5. I called and moved to deck 7. I was on the bump on deck 6, but now I am aft. I think it will be quieter back there, so I'm happy with the change.

Terpnut - As I wrote in my previous post, the rules are different for this cruise. No upgrades without losing incentives. There is another thread that I started a few days ago and a couple of TA's confirmed what happscmom and I are saying.

The rate for my stateroom has only dropped $100pp, but to upgrade to a SS, I would be giving Celebrity $650pp more. They will not let me upgrade without losing my incentives, even though I would be giving them another $1300! :rolleyes:

My question really wasn't about changing categories anymore, it was about changing ROOMS within the same category. I just called and they reconfirmed that you cannot give them more money and move categories, but I can move within the same category. I was on deck 6, but the more I looked at the map, I realized we were right over a lot of the social stuff on deck 5. I called and moved to deck 7. I was on the bump on deck 6, but now I am aft. I think it will be quieter back there, so I'm happy with the change.

I know, but I was responding to post #6 where you expressed some doubt about what you were told by Celebrity. Sorry that I changed the subject. ;) I also answered your original question. :)

Glad you asked a Celebrity rep again. Sounds like the final answer is there are no paid upgrades. :(

It's great that you were able to change your stateroom. :) I tried the link that Papa gave and found the following about your previous stateroom. I think that you will be glad you moved. ;)

One other thing to consider with a balcony on the 6th deck port side is that the 5th deck port side promenade (which is not much of a promenade, since most of it is blocked by lifeboats) is a smoking area, so the cigarette smoke will be directly below your balcony, which may bother some people. This is especially apparent on the bump-out portion, where the smokers tend to congregate directly below (since the view is not obstructed by lifeboats).

In a rather weird design quirk, the peep hole in the door sent a laser of light from the lobby area directly to the bed at night. Since we didn't have a cover over the peep hole, we had to stuff some tissue in there to block the light.

Regarding noise, the cabin was fairly well insulated. The only exception was the one evening when they did Dancing with the Stripes in the 3rd floor lobby and there were people watching from all of the atrium levels (including our level, 6th level). People were screaming (yes, screaming, since the level of noise was how they determined the winner) from our deck level (this happened on both of our cruises) and it was also rather late at night, so either go to bed late that night or expect to be awakened by screaming in the nearby atrium.
Edited by Iamthesea

Terpnut - As I wrote in my previous post, the rules are different for this cruise. No upgrades without losing incentives. There is another thread that I started a few days ago and a couple of TA's confirmed what happscmom and I are saying.

The rate for my stateroom has only dropped $100pp, but to upgrade to a SS, I would be giving Celebrity $650pp more. They will not let me upgrade without losing my incentives, even though I would be giving them another $1300! :rolleyes:

I think perhaps we are going in circles at this stage, but at the risk of beating a dead horse, my point again is that there are NO firm rules with Celebrity based on my experience. Virtually anything can be booked or changed, or negotiated with X given the right TA, customer service rep or circumstances. I'm not saying that everyone can upgrade and keep their promo after a promo is over. But anything is possible. I was told last year I could not upgrade and keep my promos--yet I did. I was also told that one cannot book a guarantee and get an immediate and specific stateroom assignment--yet I did. Kids are not allowed to have the Classic Beverage package and yet one of my teens actually successfully got it added for free to her card! :rolleyes:

In summary, what X says is absolutely not allowed or possible is sometimes allowed or possible! What I have learned over the years is that computer systems are flaky and reps are inconsistently trained, so service and results will always vary. So if you are persistent, or just plain lucky, many things can be done if you keep an open mind and ask/try.:)

Edited by Terpnut

I changed my cabin after final payment. We didn't have 123 promo attached to our reservation so not sure about that. We did have OBC promo and did not loose it. Our travel agent got on the phone with X and squared it all away!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Forums mobile app

Personally, I think we should be able to pay extra and upgrade, along with keeping our incentives. I don't understand why Celebrity is turning down more money from consumers. Their loss! :rolleyes:

Yes, unless this rule has also changed, you may switch staterooms (within the same category) after final payment. We switched locations just prior to final payment for our cruise with you. Have also changed many times afterwards on other cruises...though mostly to a higher category. :rolleyes:

Hey! They recently put March sailings back on the list included in 123 Go. Try calling again. My parents were able to add it to their March sailing by paying the extra $200 difference in fare (they were already CC so the $200 was worth it to get all three promotions). Ymmv of course but it did work for them so perhaps you will be lucky too if you call back!

This is our 1st cruise on Celebrity and I'm traveling with my 2 teenage sons. I booked the least expensive through vacations to go and was told I can't change cabins because I booked a guaranteed rate. We are on celebrity summit room 2128. Any opinions? I'm a little concerned. I have very little cruise experience as I usually just go to an island for a holiday. Also we didn't buy beverage packages yet. My one son will be 19 but my other is 15 and I didn't see any rates listed for minors. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks so much! Robin

MOST of the time, when booking a guarantee cabin in the US, you can ch age cabins within the same category as the one you are assigned--say 2B, or 1A. Now, having said that, there are exceptions to every rule and some people have reported not being able to change. However I was able to change on the summit from a forward cabin to cabin to an aft cabin with no trouble and I have done it on other ships as well. Worth a try but you need to know what you want to change to!

Edited by CathyCruises

This is our 1st cruise on Celebrity and I'm traveling with my 2 teenage sons. I booked the least expensive through vacations to go and was told I can't change cabins because I booked a guaranteed rate. We are on celebrity summit room 2128. Any opinions? I'm a little concerned. I have very little cruise experience as I usually just go to an island for a holiday. Also we didn't buy beverage packages yet. My one son will be 19 but my other is 15 and I didn't see any rates listed for minors. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks so much! Robin
Once you get your stateroom assignment, you should be able to make a request for a different assignment. Or if you see a stateroom fare that allow you to pay at least $1 more, they will generally allow you to upgrade, and along with that, obtain a new and different stateroom assignment. In general, with cruising, just about anything is possible if you are persistent. Moving staterooms within your existing category, and getting an upgrade (often while keeping a promo) are the most common "doables" but getting a refund for a lower fare after final payment is the most difficult to nearly impossible. Good luck! Edited by Terpnut

I guess I wouldn't know what to change to. I'm concerned about being so low down, not having a window and not enough space. Any thoughts?

Any cabin change within your category won't change any of your concerns.

Your only option, if you are not happy with the cabin you actually booked, is to see if you can pay to upgrade to a higher category (ocean view, veranda, etc).

When you book a guarantee cabin, you need to be sure that you will be HAPPY with the actual category you booked. There are never any guarantees of an update when you book a guarantee category.

Well, if you book an inside cabin, this is what you're going get. There probably isn't anything better in your category (11j as far as I can tell. If you are that concerned about being too low and not having a window, your ONLY option is to upgrade to either an ocean view (same size cabin but with a window), a standard balcony, or if you want a little more room, a Concierge Class cabin which has 15% more space and a balcony.

In your case, I don't see changing cabins within your category is going to be of any use. On a positive note, you are low and midship, which is perfect for stability and avoiding seasickness!

I guess I wouldn't know what to change to. I'm concerned about being so low down, not having a window and not enough space. Any thoughts?
Robin, as everyone else has already pointed out, you won't benefit from moving around in your current inside category.

The good news is, assuming you have a little more money to spend, you could play the upgrade game if you really want to improve your view. Please keep in mind that the majority of staterooms will be the same interior size (I'm not an expert of Summit though) so you likely won't get much (if any) additional stateroom space by upgrading--just higher decks and perhaps a window or verandah. What sailing are you on?

Thanks for all the replies. We are on the summit 3 /14 /15. I'm very excited about the stops as most will be new adventures for us. I guess we will be Ok, I'm just not a cruise person but I went a few years back just with my kids and it was a great family vacation. We went on carnival and had an outside window. I thought the rooms were nice size and it was ok for what it was so I thought Celebrity would be a little more my style. Unfortunately my husband is not joining us but he lived for 27 years in Antigua and he's adjusting to his move to the states plus he's been everywhere so not such a big deal to him. I'm sure it will be an amazing time!