Up-selling cabins

seaandsea

At what point does RCL start up-selling cabins? I have received upgrades before, but never done an up-sell. Do they call? Is there someone I can call if I am interested? How close to sailing date does it have to be before this starts happening?

Thanks

I guess what I am referring to is when RCL wants to move people into higher category, so they can sell cheaper rooms. I have been called in the past and asked if I wanted to move to JS for a total of $200.00, not a p.p. charge. Just can't remember when this happened or if they still do it.

...& we have been on 50 cruises....with various lines.

We are only 1 cruise away from diamond plus on Royal.

I watch prices all the time after I book. If the higher rooms drop, I call & get the upgrade. I pay the difference which is usually minimal.

I guess what I am referring to is when RCL wants to move people into higher category, so they can sell cheaper rooms. I have been called in the past and asked if I wanted to move to JS for a total of $200.00, not a p.p. charge. Just can't remember when this happened or if they still do it.

I've had that happen a few weeks before the cruise.

I just had that happen on my upcoming Liberty cruise. Went from PR to balcony for $80 flat.

We received it through a C&A email about 30-45 days prior to sailing.

That was a heck of a good deal.:)

That was a heck of a good deal.:)

It was an absolute steal. Taking my GF on her first cruise, very happy that she'll get to enjoy the balcony. Hardest part was deciding between a hump or a corner aft (I know, it's not much of a choice for most people...but for me, it's a tough call).

...& we have been on 50 cruises....with various lines.

We are only 1 cruise away from diamond plus on Royal.

I watch prices all the time after I book. If the higher rooms drop, I call & get the upgrade. I pay the difference which is usually minimal.

Princess has doing it for several years, but I think that RCI has just started doing so recently.

The only thing to be aware of is (other than the price) that an upsell from a balcony to a suite will not entitle you to double C&A points. Only upgrading for the going rate will.

has anyone ever called royal caribbean or your travel agent on your own and asked if there are any upgrades available for reasonable upcharge....i've been looking to upgrade to a junior suite from balcony because my wife had a double knee replacement couple months ago and i think she could benefit from a liitle extra space in the cabin....however, online the difference is over $1,000pp!! we are cruising in two weeks on independence and the same two junior suites have been available online for the past week.....

To ddsdoc. You mentioned that your wife has just had double knee replacements. The js has a bathtub instead of the shower and the tub walls are quite tall so it is a high climb in so to speak. If she is not able to bend enough to climb into a tub then I suggest sticking to the balcony. Just thought I would throw that out there in case you have not stayed in a js before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

has anyone ever called royal caribbean or your travel agent on your own and asked if there are any upgrades available for reasonable upcharge....i've been looking to upgrade to a junior suite from balcony because my wife had a double knee replacement couple months ago and i think she could benefit from a liitle extra space in the cabin....however, online the difference is over $1,000pp!! we are cruising in two weeks on independence and the same two junior suites have been available online for the past week.....

I think you would be better off to see if a handicap balcony is available. From the experience of knee surgery, trying to climb into that tub/shower in a JS IS NOT FUN.

At 7 weeks prior to sailing(Dec.6 Serenade), we got an email from C & A about upgrading to an ocean view, we called and were told it would be $50 flat total. Turned it down.

We got an email right at 6 weeks prior to sailing from C & A about upgrading to a balcony, but it only mentioned up to a certain percentage discount. When we called, the rep said it was a flat rate offer. It was $125 total to go from an inside to a balcony, we took it.

I am sure that timeline is not set in stone and has many variables.

To ddsdoc. You mentioned that your wife has just had double knee replacements. The js has a bathtub instead of the shower and the tub walls are quite tall so it is a high climb in so to speak. If she is not able to bend enough to climb into a tub then I suggest sticking to the balcony. Just thought I would throw that out there in case you have not stayed in a js before.

thanks for the reminder...we have stayed in a js before and that has been discussed....she tried getting into our tub in the guest bedroom and with some help from me she made it....if nothing else she can shower in the spa after she works out in the gym....we just thought the extra space would be easier for her to walk around while in the room....just not for $2,000 extra, though

This just happened to us on our Enchantment cruise. We got a C&A email about 30 days prior to sail date asking us to call their direct line for an upgrade. I almost ignored the email, but When I called they offered us an upsell from Panoramic Ocean view to Balcony D1 for $80 total. We took it !

We are sailing this Saturday on Indy. And received a call about a week ago asking if we wanted to upgrade from our Grand Suite to an Owners Suite for 250.00. To good to pass up in my eyes.

Or our eyes. We got the call from the T/A last Friday.

At 7 weeks prior to sailing(Dec.6 Serenade), we got an email from C & A about upgrading to an ocean view, we called and were told it would be $50 flat total. Turned it down.

We got an email right at 6 weeks prior to sailing from C & A about upgrading to a balcony, but it only mentioned up to a certain percentage discount. When we called, the rep said it was a flat rate offer. It was $125 total to go from an inside to a balcony, we took it.

I am sure that timeline is not set in stone and has many variables.

I had a similar experience. I got an email from C&A telling me I could get an upgrade from inside to ocean view. I ran to the phone with my credit card. Whenn finally reached C&A (had called regular # and they had no idea what I was talking about) they told be they had me for either an oceanview or for another $75 ($200 in total) a d1 balcony. I took the balcony. I am a solo, with the upgrade i paid $1000 less for that cabin that it was going for that day. Now it it is even more. I had been looking that day and had it open on my computer at the time so i knew it was a good deal.

That is exactly what I was thinking when I read this email. I love JS but hate that bathtub.