The Baltic ports

suec12

We're on the May 28 Silhouette sailing, the ship will be docked in Frihamnen and overnights there. We hope to be checked in and board by noon and want to go back to town after a quick bite, probably to walk around Gamla Stan. What would be the best way of getting there, why is Frihamnen said to be "terrible"? Anything else we could do that afternoon/evening, we plan on seeing the Vasa on 29th morning, sail away is at 3pm.

Frihamnen is absolutely NOT terrible, sure the view isn't as nice as Stadsgården but other then that it doesn't matter if you're ship docks at Frihamnen or Stadsgården

As for transportation to Gamla Stan, bus #76 would be the most suitable transport.

Get off at the Royal Palace (Slottsbacken stop).

As for things to do afterwards, perhaps a dinner cruise?

The ship S/S Stockholm departs from Strandvägen at 19.00 for a 3 hour dinner cruise to Vaxholm and back.

http://www.stromma.se/en/Stockholm/Dining-Cruises/Dinner-Cruise/Archipelago-Dinner-Cruise/#tab5

The cost is SEK 175 + cost for menu choice(s):

http://www.stromma.se/Upload/Menyer%20ENG/STOMiddagsmenyfeb-marsENG2015.pdf/

Other things to do could be Abba the museum which is open until 20.00 on Thursdays.

http://www.abbathemuseum.com/en/practical-info

There is also a small amusement park called Gröna Lund which is open to 23.00 on May 28th.

http://www.gronalund.com/en/

Much smaller and not as nice as Tivoli in Copenhagen, so it can be quite crowded.

Edited by Desdichado62

Thanks a ton Desdichado62, that's a lot of useful information. I was thinking of the Abba museum, good to know they are open late on Thursdays. Instead of the dinner cruise we might take a short canal cruise and then go to the museum. Thanks again:)

For those of you have done a Baltic itinerary - besides St. Pete (and Amsterdam) which were your favorite Baltic ports and why? what did you do there? any tasty dining experiences? THANKS!

Boy, I don't know how I missed this thread.

You have gotten some great info so far about what folks like in the Baltics. I have also seen some info that just isn't so. First of all Frihammen is not ugly. It may not be in the perfect location, but you need to do some sort of public transportation in Stockholm, so it really doesn't make much difference where you dock.

For us, We just loved Stockholm., It WAS our favorite port.; We also docked at Frihammen and took a HoHo bus to the Vasa. We didn't know much about the Vasa, just heard it was a must see thing. We figured to stop in, take a quick look around, take a few pixs and be on our way. It didn't work out exactly like that. Why,. because we both became fascinated with the Vasa and it's story. You must make time for the movie and they give a great tour. We ended up spending about 2 hours there and loved every minute of it. From there we went to the Royal palace, did watch the Changing of the Guards (we didn't stay for the entire show) but we fully enjoyed it. After, we just roamed around Gamla Stan and simply loved every minute there. We opted to get off the main streets and explored some of the smaller streets looking for small shops, restaurants etc. The people are so friendly and we just adored the narrow cobblestone streets just meant for exploring. All this certainly CAN be done in 6 hours.

As for the other ports, Tallinn, as has been said, is simply a small jewel also. Easy to walk to from the ship, get the walking tour. It will take about 4-5 hours to see everything, even at a slow pace and plenty of time to walk back to the ship. They have a nice market near the ship where you can buy a few things. decent prices also.

In Copenhagen, we wanted to do a walking tour. We wrote to their Tourist Bureau (email on the net) and they sent us just wonderful info, with maps walking tour, and just so much useful info. You also must do the canal boat cruise. It is a wonderful way to see Copenhagen from the water and one of the must do things there.

Helsinki was also a nice city. Not as exciting as some of the others, but you need to get to Market Square first. From there you can take short walks to most of the attractions, ride the tram, take the ferry to the fortress, and Market Square is a wonderful place for lunch.

Here are a few of our pixs from these wonderful places

In Copenhagen, the Nyhavn section, where you will board the canal cruise.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe248_zps07b56845.jpg

From the boat, a great perspective of this marvelous city

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe284_zpscc7bc696.jpg

In Tallinn, from the Walking tour Alexander Nevsky Cathedral -

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe566.jpg

IN Helsinki, just a short walk from Market Square is Senate Square with the Lutheran Cathedral

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1063.jpg

In Stockholm, the very colorful Changing of the Guard Ceremony

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1306.jpg

And just the exciting Gamla Stan. Sit and enjoy lunch, have a drink and just soak in this marvelous area

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1265.jpg

Cheers

Len

Couldn't agree more. We always consider what our time is worth when cruising in Europe. We generally wind up with a combination of DIY and tours (sometimes even the ship's tours)

YES, that combination is many times what works for us. As I noted, ship tours are not perfect and/or cheap, but they provide a "convenience" that can be a decent option in some cases. The options are so many, many in certain key port cities such as Copenhagen, etc. Getting help on your logistics is of serious value to consider. Plus, their tour staffs (sometimes, but not always) can help provide expertise for what tours might be "boring" and/or not working that well for our personal needs/style.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 169,797 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We loved Tallinn, Estonia. It’s cozy, charming and very walkable. We enjoyed small coble-stoned lanes. A lot of small cafes and restaurants. My daughter (she was only 3 at that time) loved martsepan master class which was organized in one of the cafes. We also loved Vasa (Stockholm) and spend their about 1 hour. It was our second favorite place.

Jess :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
If you care to know where you will dock in Stockholm, you will need to provide the sailing date too. Silhouette uses both Stadsgården (good) and Frihamnen (terrible):

Vessel Arrival Berth Vessel type Status

CELEBRITY SILHOUETTE 2015-05-11 kl. 09:00 S167 STADSGÅRDEN Cruise ship Expected

CELEBRITY SILHOUETTE 2015-05-27 kl. 09:00 F638 FRIHAMNEN Cruise ship Expected

CELEBRITY SILHOUETTE 2015-06-29 kl. 09:00 F638 FRIHAMNEN Cruise ship Expected

CELEBRITY SILHOUETTE 2015-07-11 kl. 09:00 S167 STADSGÅRDEN Cruise ship Expected

CELEBRITY SILHOUETTE 2015-08-04 kl. 09:00 S167 STADSGÅRDEN Cruise ship Expected

CELEBRITY SILHOUETTE 2015-08-30 kl. 09:00 F638 FRIHAMNEN Cruise ship Expected

I hope you picked the right itinerary! LOL

I am sailing on the BRILLIANCE OF THE SEAS on the July 17, 2015 sailing. How/where can I find this information for exactly where the ship will dock?

e are arriving 5/27 at Frihamnen -- How would we get to the HOHO?

Thanks

If you care to know where you will dock in Stockholm, you will need to provide the sailing date too. Silhouette uses both Stadsgården (good) and Frihamnen (terrible):

Vessel Arrival Berth Vessel type Status

CELEBRITY SILHOUETTE 2015-05-11 kl. 09:00 S167 STADSGÅRDEN Cruise ship Expected

CELEBRITY SILHOUETTE 2015-05-27 kl. 09:00 F638 FRIHAMNEN Cruise ship Expected

CELEBRITY SILHOUETTE 2015-06-29 kl. 09:00 F638 FRIHAMNEN Cruise ship Expected

CELEBRITY SILHOUETTE 2015-07-11 kl. 09:00 S167 STADSGÅRDEN Cruise ship Expected

CELEBRITY SILHOUETTE 2015-08-04 kl. 09:00 S167 STADSGÅRDEN Cruise ship Expected

CELEBRITY SILHOUETTE 2015-08-30 kl. 09:00 F638 FRIHAMNEN Cruise ship Expected

I hope you picked the right itinerary! LOL

We are sailing out of Copenhagen to stockholm, helsinki, Tallinn and St. petersburg. The ports sound wonderful and are all new to me. Thanks to all who posted their experiences and pics.

I am trying to figure out what each port offers that the others do not. Also, in which port to do what?

Where is the best market? Was thinking Helsinki.

Best museums? Hermitage and what other?

Most interesting old town? Changing of the guard?

Usually try to vary what we do in ports but there seem to be many similarities.

Has anyone explored ourside of old town Tallinn?

We did the Vasa, walking/shopping/lunch in Gamla Stan, and the Royal Palace in a little over 6 hours. Of course this all assumes you are docked in either Skeppsbron or Stadsgården, and NOT Frihamnen or Värtahamnen.

Yikes! In another thread, a poster matter of factly said that since we'll be docking in Vartahamnen, we should take the 76 Bus to the VASA museum. Based on what you're saying about the distant location of Vartahamnen, how long with the ride take to the museum? How long will it take for us to return to the port from Gamla Stan?

Thanks.

Yikes! In another thread, a poster matter of factly said that since we'll be docking in Vartahamnen, we should take the 76 Bus to the VASA museum. Based on what you're saying about the distant location of Vartahamnen, how long with the ride take to the museum? How long will it take for us to return to the port from Gamla Stan?

Thanks.

As someone else correctly pointed out, I probably overdramatized the distances and impacts of the latter two ports. My main reasoning behind my original post was that the 20-25 minutes each way was mainly wasted time versus being able to enjoy the harbor view right from the get-go from Stadsgarden. I'm not the expert, but the 76 bus from where you are docked is probably only 10-15 minutes and then a few additional minutes to walk to Vasa--my guess is approx 20 minutes total (depending on your wait, traffic and walking speeds). Taking the HOHO water taxi will take the same from Stadsgarden so it's really no difference in total transfer time.

For the ride back from Gamla Stan, I think the subway line 13 will take you straight back. You may also want to consider using a taxi. Have a great cruise! :)

Edited by Terpnut

e are arriving 5/27 at Frihamnen -- How would we get to the HOHO?

Thanks

There is no HoHo boats at Frihamnen. You have to go by bus if you want to get Vasa.

See the link below for more info.

We are sailing out of Copenhagen to stockholm, helsinki, Tallinn and St. petersburg. The ports sound wonderful and are all new to me. Thanks to all who posted their experiences and pics.

I am trying to figure out what each port offers that the others do not. Also, in which port to do what?

In the thread below you have lots of info on what to see and how to get around.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2176645

Yikes! In another thread, a poster matter of factly said that since we'll be docking in Vartahamnen, we should

take the 76 Bus to the VASA museum. Based on what you're saying about the distant location of Vartahamnen, how long with the ride take

to the museum? How long will it take for us to return to the port from Gamla Stan?

Thanks.

Bus 76 from Värtahamnen to Vasa is correct. It will take about 20-25 minutes. From Gamla Stan to Värtahamnen use the #76 bus towards Ropsten.

Using subway red line #13 is possible but then you will end up at Ropsten which is almost 1.3km north of Värtahamnen.

Edited by Desdichado62

I would say that you paint a bit too gloomy picture of the location of Frihamnen and Värtahamnen. They are about 3km northeast from downtown Stockholm. By land both are actually closer to Vasa Museum than Stadsgården. I would say that Nynäshamn is the only port with complicated logistics in Stockholm.

Thanks for this reassurance. We'll be docking at Vartahamnen and the VASA museum is our primary goal. What will be the destination on the bus when we're going from the ship to the museum? (Thanks to Desdichado, I now know to take a bus marked Ropsten when returning to the ship.)

I believe I continue on Bus 76 in the same direction to go between the museum and Gamla Stan. If someone has any other reassuring details I'd appreciate them greatly. (e.g. Will the correct stop for Gamla Stan be obvious or marked?)

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

St. Petersburg has a new museum, the Faberge Museum in the repurposed Shuvalov Palace. The collection on display here began with the purchase of Malcolm Forbes' collection. (That collection includes nine of the 50 Imperial East Eggs still in existence.) Then, the museum curators went on another buying spree. Here's the link: http://fabergemuseum.ru/

For anyone sailing in late 2018, you'll have the chance to see the new Museum of the Danish Resistance in WWII. (The original structure was seriously damaged in a fire in 2013.) The web site claims that no "artifacts or priceless objects were damaged by the fire." Since we're visiting Copenhagen before the new museum re-opens, we're disappointed that the museum hasn't found a temporary space to display their existing collection. (The archives is open by appointment in a temporary space.) The bravery of the Danish resistance in WWII is legendary.

e.g. Will the correct stop for Gamla Stan be obvious or marked?

You can't miss Gamla Stan and there are several stops that are suitable but neither of the stops are called Gamla Stan.

On the link below read the part under Transport from Vasa to Old Town/Royal Palace.

You can't miss Gamla Stan and there are several stops that are suitable but neither of the stops are called Gamla Stan.

On the link below read the part under Transport from Vasa to Old Town/Royal Palace.

Thanks, again. For this Baltic cruise, I'm very much on the receiving side of the equation.

On the UK board, I'm happy to be able to be on the giving side for people who are starting/ending in Southampton (London).

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

My husband and I are considering a Princess cruise to the Baltics. What is the Visa policy for Russia and Poland?

For S:t Petersburg you can book a tour with a local tour company and that way avoid the need for a VISA.

However you cannot leave the tour and wander off on your own but have to remain with the tour at all times when you have disembarked.

For Poland you don't need a VISA. http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/poland.html

Also may I just inform you that at the moment (2015) neither Regal or Royal Princess berths in central Stockholm but in Nynäshamn which is an hour south of Stockholm by bus or train.

The cruise line operating these ships have requested to berth in central Stockholm but this pending on the results of ongoing trials and simulations.

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I are taking the 19-day Holland American Baltic & Norwegian Fjords Cruise on the Eurodam departing from Copenhagen on August 7. My husband has limited mobility and I would like some advice on which ports we should DIY and which should we take tours in, including HOHO. We are booking a private car in both St. Petersburg and Warnemunde/Berlin. Another question is, which HOHO line offers the best deal in Copenhagen since I have read that there are several companies offering the HOHO.