Thinking of canceling cruise...

I was just at Disney with my family Dec. 8th - 15th. The temperature was in the low 40s at night and in the 60s during the day. The crowds werent bad at all, unless you wanted to go see the Osborne lights. That was miserable. The only other issue is experienced was the closing of the Magic Kingdom early some nights for Mickeys overpriced late night christmas party. If you go two weeks later when kids are out of school, the lines are ridiculous. The longest wait times i saw on the Disney app while we were there was 80min. I kept an eye on it when schools got out, and 120 min was typical for a lot of the rides we walked onto all day long. Pick the right week, and Disney won't be too bad. Its beautiful there when its all decorated for the holidays.

We are frequent disney goers and this sums up my thoughts for Early December as well. I think it's important to highlight the weather aspect - in 2010 we were there in December and it was in the 30s every day but 1 of our week. We are from MA so we were prepared - but it was a far cry from the 100 degree feeling we get in September!!

As a frequent disney goer - I would actually suggest waiting a year for disney. Right now there are many things closed at Hollywood studios, the animal kingdom nighttime additions are not done yet and avatar land is just starting to go vertical, MK hub construction will have phase2 going on at that time (phase 1 finishes in November), and the Norway pavilion will still be closed at Epcot. Going at this time in 2016 should be better!!

I don't think you always have to be self sacrificing for everyone else in the family....could there be a middle ground? Could you do a 3-4 night cruise in April and 3-4 days at the parks? It will be flower and garden show time then! (But still all of the construction I mentioned above plus maybe more in downtown disney!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe change your reservation to cruise out of Port Canaveral? You could do a stop at Disney before or after the cruise.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Cruises between Thanksgiving and Xmas are typically well priced. It might be possible to spend 3 or 4 days at Disney and then tack on a 4-night cruise out of Port Canaveral.

My sympathy for your loss.

Look, I love Disney. Especially the 1st week of December when the crowds are light. However, Disney is NOT a vacation. Everything needs to be planned down the the dinner hour. Parks, fast passes, etc need to be coordinated. You're up early, on your feet all day, and at the end of the day, you're exhausted. Happy, yes, but exhausted! Disney is many wonderful things: but relaxing is not one of them.

You had a rough year and you've been looking forward to this cruise. Disney will be there next year.

My husband hated the idea of cruising at first, but it is so relaxing. You unpack once and unless you choose to, don't need to plan anything. We call it "brain dead" vacationing...it is truly relaxing. It sounds a little more like what you need right now. So tell your family it's already booked, the decision has been made, and you can hit up Disney next time.

Edited by micmacmissy

If it's adults too, then you may need to consider switching.

Speaking for me personally, If Im footing the bill, we are going where I say we are going :)

But Im one you couldn't PAY to go to Disney. No desire whatsoever so no doubt the cruise wins out.

Hi Becky,

Sorry to hear about your mom.

Being from Columbus myself, I know one of the larger expenses of taking a vacation in / out of Florida is the flight. If I could make a recommendation, could you squeeze in both the cruise and Disney? Change both reservations to be around the same time, fly into Orlando, do a couple days at Disney, then drive the one hour over to Port Canaveral and hop on the ship for the week. You could even swing back through Disney as a recap day on the way back into Orlando if the kids beg too much.

Or if you are saving the flight money and driving down (and somehow don't end up killing your car-mates) the extra couple days for Disney shouldn't be that bad of an addition.

I know it requires a couple extra days off of work / school but if you are there already, why not try to package both?

Edited by Rewind

Being that I live in south Florida, I guess I'm prejudiced towards a cruise anytime over Disney. I like to go to Disney but like someone else mentioned, you will be exhausted by the time you leave. Sorry to hear about your loss but I think the perfect solution, as someone else mentioned, would be a 3/4....3 days at Disney (that's PLENTY!) then a 4 day cruise out of Pt Canaveral. Just a suggestion....I think you'll need a few days on a cruise to unwind from the Disney jaunt. Just sayin'.....:D

We would go first week of December, so lower crowds. We are far enough out that we won't lose money from RC, and I should be able to rebook flights from Southwest without issue.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We went the first week in December the first time we took the kids years ago, and it wasn't very crowded (well, as far as Disney goes, anyway) and the weather was nice. We wore light sweaters in the morning, but didn't need them by lunchtime. Just my 2 cents on the time of year.

That being said, I am in major Disney withdrawal right now, so I vote for Disney this year and cruise next year.

You're talking about going early December to Disney, so almost a year from now, right? Planning for Disney is what makes our trips enjoyable to me. And with Disney, you should do a LOT of planning. I don't think I enjoy the parks nearly as much as I do planning it out. Where I would normally say cruise, in your situation, you could use a year-long distraction. So my vote is you buy the Unofficial Guide to Disney World, http://touringplans.com/unofficial-guide, and read it cover to cover over the next few months. Then get down and dirty in the details for the trip. That book will save you money and headaches. Did you know you can bring entire meals into the park to save money? So many great tips in that book. And there are so many boards for helping with planning as well.

Don't book a package unless you get free dining in it. If you book a package, it's like booking a cruise in that you have to have the thing paid in full so far out. But if you just book the hotel, it's cancellable until 5 days out. Disney excels at convincing you to unnecessarily shell out tons of money and feel good about it. That book helps you avoid that.

Went to Disney on Christmas day many years ago because we thought everyone would be home with their families (we are Jewish). Yes, I know, I am no genius. One of the dumbest decisions I ever made and I have made plenty of them. My hair has never grown back

Went to Disney on Christmas day many years ago because we thought everyone would be home with their families (we are Jewish). Yes, I know, I am no genius. One of the dumbest decisions I ever made and I have made plenty of them. My hair has never grown back

OP would be going in early December, not Christmas day.

OP would be going in early December, not Christmas day.

Friday, Dec. 4, is predicted to have crowd levels in Magic Kingdom at a 2 out of 10 where Christmas day would be a 10. So that's the perfect time to go.

(Crowd level prediction is from the site I posted earlier. Love that site!)

I vote for cruise! Personally, I don't want a "vacation" where I have to plan everything practically down to the minute, and then have to guide my family around the park to get to each reserved venue at the appropriate time. We've been to Disney 5 times, and each time I vowed never again! But those pesky grandkids keep insisting, so we go.

My friends who visit Disney every year do not understand my lack of love, but to be fair, I don't understand how they could not love cruising!:D

Sherri:)

Sometimes we Mom's get to be selfish and choose what WE want! It doesn't happen very often, but once in a while the rest of the family let us put ourselves first. Maybe this is one of those times?

^This. Totally.

Why don't you split the difference and take a Disney cruise. You are far enough out to get a full refund from Royal. Prices are pretty good for Disney cruises the beginning of December. You could also get a land/cruise vacation from the Disney cruise website that allows you to visit the parks too.

Why don't you split the difference and take a Disney cruise. You are far enough out to get a full refund from Royal. Prices are pretty good for Disney cruises the beginning of December. You could also get a land/cruise vacation from the Disney cruise website that allows you to visit the parks too.

Sounds like the perfect compromise to me ?

Have you ever been to Disney around Christmas time? I live only a couple of hours from Disney and have been during Christmas...never again, it's super busy and not relaxing at all.

So if it's relaxing you're into, I'd stick with the cruise. You will lose some money by canceling this close too, won't you?

Okay, I have never been to Disney (no desire to go either); however, I have heard what this poster said, long long lines, lots of people, very crowded and not relaxing. If you and your Mom are dealing with health issues, I would not think that standing in line to ride rides or even waiting for others to ride would be best, but hey, I am not a doctor, just throwing my thoughts out there.

I have two very good friends who LOVE Disney and some people say it's the best vacation ever. I just remember going to Astroworld (I know, not the same thing, but similar) and the LONG lines, so for me, nothing beats a cruise vacation where I can chill by the pool and do nothing :D

Okay, I have never been to Disney (no desire to go either); however, I have heard what this poster said, long long lines, lots of people, very crowded and not relaxing. If you and your Mom are dealing with health issues, I would not think that standing in line to ride rides or even waiting for others to ride would be best, but hey, I am not a doctor, just throwing my thoughts out there.

I have two very good friends who LOVE Disney and some people say it's the best vacation ever. I just remember going to Astroworld (I know, not the same thing, but similar) and the LONG lines, so for me, nothing beats a cruise vacation where I can chill by the pool and do nothing :D

You can "chill by the pool and do nothing" at a Disney resort too. Disney is soo much more than "standing in line".

They aren't going at Christmas time. They're going the first week of December which is one of the best times to go all year.

And I've realized the OP hasn't come back to comment, so I'm wondering if the OP already has made a decision!

Edited by cathep

I live in FL and visit Disney several times a yr w/ our daughter. Disney is crowded, less crowded at off peak times but still crowded. Lines for rides, lots of walking, and soo much to do.

We have an seasonal pass so our method is to get in right when they open and leave at around 2:00 when it starts getting crowded.

I would decide on a couple of factors. A) do you want a more relaxing non amusement park vaca B) are you ok with not going with the rest of the family going to Disney C) is a Disney vacation what you were looking forward to or a cruise

If you really want to do the cruise I think/hope explaining to you family why and they hopefully will understand. Those that want Disney, go and you enjoy the cruise.

Edited by brenderlou

Good idea bit cha-ching! More expensive but if they can afford it, great!

You can "chill by the pool and do nothing" at a Disney resort too. Disney is soo much more than "standing in line".

You cannot do this in December - atleast it would not be something to be count on with the weather being cold! Relaxing by the pool hoping your winter hat doesn't blow away isn't exactly the same as cruising!

I would maybe consider:

- Adding a day or two in Orlando at the beginning of your cruise to do Disney then, if you can afford it.

- Switching to a Disney cruise in December. The prices should be much better at the beginning of December for a Disney cruise than in April. Disney cruises can be affordable, if you choose the right time of year and/or are willing to be flexible with the cabins.

- Keeping the Freedom and doing Disney next year. You already have this booked, you were looking forward to it, and the kids can help you plan Disney for next year.