Not-so-much a sale for C&A members?

Griswolds

We are pricing out cruises this weekend, nothing specific just looking for our next one, and we are noticing the price is showing $200 OBC when we search while not logged in to C&A but when we log in the price goes down about $100 but the OBC goes away. We have been pricing out suites if that makes a difference.

Is anyone else seeing weird/higher pricing like this while logged in vs not logged in? Are we missing something? Doing something wrong?

We are pricing out cruises this weekend, nothing specific just looking for our next one, and we are noticing the price is showing $200 OBC when we search while not logged in to C&A but when we log in the price goes down about $100 but the OBC goes away. We have been pricing out suites if that makes a difference.

Is anyone else seeing weird/higher pricing like this while logged in vs not logged in? Are we missing something? Doing something wrong?

The website is supposed to pick the combination of promos most advantageous to you, but it looks like it's not working in your case. You may have to call to get them to override the automatic pricing.

When you're logged in it will show your balcony discount. When you're not logged in it will show the OBC. You can't have both. You need to choose which is best.

When you're logged in it will show your balcony discount. When you're not logged in it will show the OBC. You can't have both. You need to choose which is best.

That doesn't seem fair to members. Members should get whatever pricing is offered to everyone PLUS the member discount. I'm really not liking these sales (gimmicks) they have going on the past several months. :confused:

In recent times I have come to the conclusion that there really is no such thing as a genuine sale or promotion with RCI. Everything is just a rehash of numbers. If they give with one hand, they take away with another. Not much point in using your C&A number to book if is going to disqualify you for any other offers at that time.

Smoke and mirrors in my opinion, usually.

That doesn't seem fair to members. Members should get whatever pricing is offered to everyone PLUS the member discount. I'm really not liking these sales (gimmicks) they have going on the past several months. :confused:

I absolutely agree with you. I argued for nearly 30 minutes with C&A earlier this week about the same point. We booked Freedom of the Seas for March 2016 as part of the VowtoWow sale. We received the 50% off the second passenger (although the price we paid was still way higher for a JS than I paid for an OS we are in this coming March :rolleyes:). I couldn't understand why I received my C&A discount but they would not allow me to receive the $200 OBC offered as part of the sale. I was told that they wouldn't allow both the C&A discount and the $200 because it would be like giving us the benefit twice. I went around and around on this but to no avail.

It makes no sense that we spend our money and time to earn privileges in the loyalty program just to be told we can't use it.

The most humorous part of my conversation came when the customer service tried convincing me that I was getting such a great deal on the half price offer. :rolleyes:

I know the info is on this website somewhere, but I'm sure someone here knows the answer.

There are so many possible discounts and I was wondering which ones, if any, are combinable.

Our our recent cruise, I THINK I received the balcony discount for being platinum as well as $100 OBC for my next cruise certificate. My TA gave me another nice OBC too, but I know that one is independent of RCI's discounts.

If I had a BoA Visa and had points would that be combinable? So which discounts are combinable?

And I agree with Griswolds.. C&A benefits should be independent of any other credits and perks. We've earned them! Being offered the same OBC as someone who has never cruised before is insulting when RC takes away perks earned from previous cruises. What's the point of being loyal? Might was well cruise hop.

I know the info is on this website somewhere, but I'm sure someone here knows the answer.

There are so many possible discounts and I was wondering which ones, if any, are combinable.

Our our recent cruise, I THINK I received the balcony discount for being platinum as well as $100 OBC for my next cruise certificate. My TA gave me another nice OBC too, but I know that one is independent of RCI's discounts.

If I had a BoA Visa and had points would that be combinable? So which discounts are combinable?

And I agree with Griswolds.. C&A benefits should be independent of any other credits and perks. We've earned them! Being offered the same OBC as someone who has never cruised before is insulting when RC takes away perks earned from previous cruises. What's the point of being loyal? Might was well cruise hop.

They've restricted the BOA points to basically OBC only during this so called "sale".

The points can't be used to reduce the price.

I absolutely agree with you. I argued for nearly 30 minutes with C&A earlier this week about the same point. We booked Freedom of the Seas for March 2016 as part of the VowtoWow sale. We received the 50% off the second passenger (although the price we paid was still way higher for a JS than I paid for an OS we are in this coming March :rolleyes:). I couldn't understand why I received my C&A discount but they would not allow me to receive the $200 OBC offered as part of the sale. I was told that they wouldn't allow both the C&A discount and the $200 because it would be like giving us the benefit twice. I went around and around on this but to no avail.

It makes no sense that we spend our money and time to earn privileges in the loyalty program just to be told we can't use it.

The most humorous part of my conversation came when the customer service tried convincing me that I was getting such a great deal on the half price offer. :rolleyes:

Yeah, its honesty infuriating. We can't combine the "sale" OBC with the balcony discount, even though the prices are significantly higher than prior years as to absorb the cost of the OBC and BOGOHO. In addition, you can't combine any BOA rewards points with anything related to the BOGOHO.

It's just insulting. They'd rather get rid of us and take advantage of the new cruisers who don't know any better/spend money onboard... neglecting to realize how much we spend with them (multiple times) every year.

I think its time to move on after we finish our upcoming cruises.

Yeah, its honesty infuriating. We can't combine the "sale" OBC with the balcony discount, even though the prices are significantly higher than prior years as to absorb the cost of the OBC and BOGOHO. In addition, you can't combine any BOA rewards points with anything related to the BOGOHO.

It's just insulting. They'd rather get rid of us and take advantage of the new cruisers who don't know any better/spend money onboard... neglecting to realize how much we spend with them (multiple times) every year.

They're making that well known.

They're making that well known.

Did you happen to notice the $3 bottle chardonnay they've changed to in the Diamond Lounge and for the Diamond vouchers when on the Enchantment last week? That was a real treat...!

They won on that one, we just paid for decent wine.

Did you happen to notice the $3 bottle chardonnay they've changed to in the Diamond Lounge and for the Diamond vouchers when on the Enchantment last week? That was a real treat...!

They won on that one, we just paid for decent wine.

I didn't go to the lounge but it sounds like the same motor oil that they tried to give us at dinner. My wife told them to keep it.

I guess I wont hold my breathe and wait to see if these silly sales ever end and we can then get a better price on what we're looking for. We actually thought we were going to take a break from cruising for a while (multiple reasons) but the sea does keep calling us back!

We booked a quick ladies get away for Sept, since it was only a 3 night cruise I simply did it on line. As I was finishing the deposit, I received a pop up for a $75.00 C&A discount. Yep, it sure was there, but what was gone was the $100.00 per person OBC. :eek: I called and was told, well, you can't have both. OK, fine then take away the $75.00 and give us back the $200.00 OBC. When I was doing our deposit, there was no way to deny the $75, it automatically deducted from the price. I was told that is the way it is, and that is what the person at RC was there for. Deceptive, probably, in this day and age you really must check everything.:(

Melissa and Steve,

same thing happened to me Saturday when booking FOS for April 2014. They had my C & A information and therefore I could not get the OBC offer of $200 for vow to wow sale. They said my base price was discounted for me being C & A. I was using a cruise website and thought maybe they were mistaken, so after I booked the cruise I called the C & A customer service and they said I was given the best deal possible and I could not get the vow to wow OBC with my suite purchase.

We are not real frequent cruisers about one every 2 -3 years, so this upset me as I am always looking for discounts. But oh well, I am still looking forward to my cruise in April.

We got both for a balcony cabin booked for November

It depends on which special you used to book. The original BOGOHO sale was combinable with the C&A balcony discount. That sale has ended, and the Vow to Wow sale that took its place (which also offers 1/2 off the second fare) is not combinable. The Vow to Wow offers a different amount of OBC. I booked a cruise where the fare was the same for C&A as not, but the Vow to Wow OBC was $300, vs. the $225 I would have gotten as Pinnacle (booked within 6 months of sailing). Because we spend money onboard, I opted for the sale price. And it was combinable with the onboard booking OBC, so we have our work cut out for us.

It took the Loyalty Ambassador 20 minutes to complete the booking, though, because the system insisted that she apply the discount when our C&A numbers were added.

What you are seeing is the sale really isn't a sale for Crown and Anchor members as you suspected. I've been looking at several cruises and worked with their planners on them. In most cases, if I take the sale and the OBC, the price is almost always the amount of the OBC higher. In my opinion, $200 OBC is worth about $125 in actual cash and that is being generous. ($5 picture for $25) I ended up telling our friends, who have never cruised before to book it and then I'll call in and do ours.

Let us know how that works out for you. Gee, if you go to Carnival, as a first time cruiser, you can spend $50 and get all the same perks that a long time return cruiser gets. It's called FTTF. Oh, you don't ever get "happy hour." But hey, you'll be so "valued" as a return customer, that they'll sell your benefits to anyone for $50.

Here's the thing. The economy is doing well. People are spending money. The cruise lines, like all other businesses, exist to be a profitable as possible. They price their product according to what the market will bear. Yeah, we "return cruisers" are a big portion of their passenger load. But that is changing. More and more "new cruisers" are now going. But for some reason many "return cruisers" feel that we are entitled to cruise almost for "free." The rates rules are clearly spelled out. Of course "sales" are designed to book new passengers. That is the point. I'll cruise Royal Caribbean because I like it. I don't get all offended because someone gets a "better deal" than me. In fact they don't. New cruisers don't get cabin discounts, priority seating at MDR, use of the Diamond or Concierge lounge, priority tender tickets, free internet time, coupons for discounted or 2 for 1 drinks, priority debarkation, etc. So yeah, you pay the same, but you get a whole lot more for your money than the first time cruiser. I compare the rate without the discount and the rate I can get with the discount. I book the cheapest. What you want is the "cheap" rate PLUS a discount on top. That would be a stupid business practice.

Let us know how that works out for you. Gee, if you go to Carnival, as a first time cruiser, you can spend $50 and get all the same perks that a long time return cruiser gets. It's called FTTF. Oh, you don't ever get "happy hour." But hey, you'll be so "valued" as a return customer, that they'll sell your benefits to anyone for $50.

Here's the thing. The economy is doing well. People are spending money. The cruise lines, like all other businesses, exist to be a profitable as possible. They price their product according to what the market will bear. Yeah, we "return cruisers" are a big portion of their passenger load. But that is changing. More and more "new cruisers" are now going. But for some reason many "return cruisers" feel that we are entitled to cruise almost for "free." The rates rules are clearly spelled out. Of course "sales" are designed to book new passengers. That is the point. I'll cruise Royal Caribbean because I like it. I don't get all offended because someone gets a "better deal" than me. In fact they don't. New cruisers don't get cabin discounts, priority seating at MDR, use of the Diamond or Concierge lounge, priority tender tickets, free internet time, coupons for discounted or 2 for 1 drinks, priority debarkation, etc. So yeah, you pay the same, but you get a whole lot more for your money than the first time cruiser. I compare the rate without the discount and the rate I can get with the discount. I book the cheapest. What you want is the "cheap" rate PLUS a discount on top. That would be a stupid business practice.

I appreciate what your saying. However, I dont think anyone is looking for a free cruise or upset because someone else got a better price. But if they are going to offer a program for repeat customers and offer discounts for the sole reason that you are a repeat customer (on their terms of the tier levels they created) then you should be entitled to those discounts on top of whatever published prices they are offering. Otherwise, its not really a perk of the program, now is it?

So if I book online and don't enter my c&a # will I get the better rate? The fare is $10 more expensive when I'm not logged in BUT it has $175 OBC. As soon as I log on or enter my c&a # into the booking the OBC disappears and the rate drops about $10. Has anyone experienced rccl taking away the OBC when they figure out your membership info after you've paid?

So if I book online and don't enter my c&a # will I get the better rate? The fare is $10 more expensive when I'm not logged in BUT it has $175 OBC. As soon as I log on or enter my c&a # into the booking the OBC disappears and the rate drops about $10. Has anyone experienced rccl taking away the OBC when they figure out your membership info after you've paid?

The website might mess with your rate, but you can always call and get it fixed. You are allowed to pick the promo that is most advantageous to you.

I appreciate what your saying. However, I dont think anyone is looking for a free cruise or upset because someone else got a better price. But if they are going to offer a program for repeat customers and offer discounts for the sole reason that you are a repeat customer (on their terms of the tier levels they created) then you should be entitled to those discounts on top of whatever published prices they are offering. Otherwise, its not really a perk of the program, now is it?

I agree - this is just like the airlines that offer a "free flight" at XX,XXX miles, and then make the earned benefit impossible (or more expensive) to use.

RC can do what ever they want with the benefits program, but I believe it will reduce the number of C&A bookings.

I am glad to see that I am not the only C&A member that has called/written to complain about feeling less than "wowed". If enough C&A members stop booking cruises things could change.

I believe there was an increase in the number of returning guests on last years cruises. That may be why the focus is on new customer sales.

This will be an ongoing topic ..... until the next inflated sale.

Had this exact conversation with C&A earlier this week. We are booked on FOS in June. We can get the OBC or the C&A discount. They are exactly the same amount. When I pointed out that a first time cruiser with RCCL gets the same price as someone who has been loyal to their cruise line over the years, I was told what a great price I got (not) and that I got special benefits that the first time cruisers didn't get (what used to come in the coupon book but is now loaded on my SeaPass card). I also can't use the BoA points to reduce the price. Seriously? After this cruise, we will be looking at a new experience with a new cruise line if the price and itinerary suit us. There's no incentive. None. Loyalty lost.