Solo Cruising

Purples

I am looking at doing a solo cruise and understand there is a supplement but the cruise I am looking at - the price is double the twin price - the port charges are included so that means that a solo passenger is paying double the port charges as well. Know sometimes the supplement is under that price also and may need to look at other lines. That just seems to be too much and don't know how that can be justified.

I am looking at doing a solo cruise and understand there is a supplement but the cruise I am looking at - the price is double the twin price - the port charges are included so that means that a solo passenger is paying double the port charges as well. Know sometimes the supplement is under that price also and may need to look at other lines. That just seems to be too much and don't know how that can be justified.

I sail solo frequently. their is only one port charge, but yes, you do pay double the room charge.

What cruise is this that port charges are doubled? I have never seen port charges bundled into the cruise fare and hence doubled up for a solo. Never. They are always added on separately.

As for a 200% supplement, yes, I'm afraid that's very common, especially on sale/discounted fares. It is what it is.

I sail solo the majority of the time. When you say it is double the twin price, do you mean you are paying double what 2 people would pay? That isn't correct. If you are paying a 100% supplement, it would be as if 2 were sailing. The cruises I have booked now are about 75% supplement, but the last few years it has been 100%. Keep in mind, I have never sailed that I didn't manage to get a significant reduction at some point before sailing or a large OBC. Last year I got a $300.00 OBC for the repo and major price reduction on my 4 day after the repo.

As you've already discovered, you only pay port charges for 1. You also only pay tips for 1 person.

I hope you decide to sail as a solo. If you've never done it, you're in for a very special vacation. I absolutely LOVE going solo. The freedom of choice and the people I meet are all amazing. I book and inside, which is generally more reasonable, and perfect for me, and I've been upgraded to an obstructed (not really) oceanview a few times.

Hope this all helped.

Maureen

I'm just curious about sailing solo, because I've been thinking about it, but haven't done it. How does the dining room work for solo? Are you seated with others or by yourself? I know this is a basic question but I appreciate the insight!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm just curious about sailing solo, because I've been thinking about it, but haven't done it. How does the dining room work for solo? Are you seated with others or by yourself? I know this is a basic question but I appreciate the insight!

I prefer traditional dining. That way I have the same tablemates and waitstaff every night. This often works better if I already know at least 2 of the people at the table. Generally, it's people I've met on previous cruises, or people I've become acquainted with on our Roll Call. Or both!

I have also done Anytime dining as a solo, and that way I can ask for a different table every night. I don't find anytime to be as special as traditional, but at least if you get stuck with bad tablemates one night, you aren't stuck with them for the entire cruise. However, I have met some wonderful people in both traditional and anytime and only one time did I contemplate asking for another table.

Any questions, just ask

Maureen

Back in late 2012 there was a Last Minute Deals promotion in which the advertised price from Princess included the Government Fees and Taxes (which are not exactly the same as "port charges" but that's for another thread). But if you booked as a solo under that promotion the value of the second person's Government Fees and Taxes was backed out of the total. And even now under current promotions which carry a 200% single rate the total always adds up to a few dollars less than precisely two times the double occupancy rate. What exactly those few dollars represent is a mystery to me.

Edited by fishywood

I've sailed solo several times and I find that the amount of single supplement varies--anything from 25% to 100%. Different cruise lines have different policies and even within a cruise line it may vary by cabin category and/or itinerary. Usually the cheaper inside cabins will have the lower supplement. Itineraries that they think will be popular will carry the 100% supplement for all cabins (e.g. Holland America's Voyage of the Vikings). And it may also vary by your past-passenger level with that line.

I also watch out for "single supplement waived" sales--which are rare but do show up at lot with Swan Hellenic for example. This website lists sailings with Singles Discounts: http://www.repositioningcruise.com/ticker.cfm?r=0&jpw=107

One disturbing trend I've noticed in recent bookings is that they are beginning to raise the supplements on many cruise lines. I was just on Voyages of Discovery and another passenger told me she was asked to pay 110% supplement for a future cruise because the line believed it was not making enough money when solos booked cabins!

It seems as if the supplement is a full 100% if one books a balcony cabin and even more for a minisuite. That makes it a bit too pricey for my travel budget to be able to go solo, so I book either an inside, which so far has come in at 25-50%, or ocean view, which was 40-75%.

That's really up to you. As I always choose Anytime Dining i specify that I choose to sit by myself. I could also choose to be seated at a large table, seats 6 or 8, but personally I wouldn't do that. Dinner is "me time".

Also, I've rarely seen the single supplement be 100%, but I always get an oceanview or an interior cabin. With those types of cabins my SS is generally 50-70% of the base price. As been posted already, you are only charged one set of extra fees, not two.

Edited by Treven

Typical solo fares on Princess are graduated based on stateroom category. I believe balconies and above are generally 100% - never more than 100%. That said, occasionally, depending on the sailing, there are sometimes solo fares available that improve on the rate.

Last summer I was able to take advantage of a waived supplement on a balcony on QM2. Only specific categories were available but I did very well by picking a specific stateroom I could live with and booking it as a guarantee. I was later upgraded to a better location/category - with no supplement.

I've paid from 130% to 200%. On Princess, you normally pay 200% for a balcony or above. Often, if you book early you can snag a lower single supplement on inside and OV cabins, but that percentage may evaporate as you get closer to the cruise because Princess will drop prices for double occupancy cruisers, but not singles. I personally like mini's, so I always expect to pay 200%. I'm shopping other cabin types now that I'm retired as I have the time to cruise more. There is info for single cruisers looking for deals on the internet, but I can't give you names. Try doing some internet searches if you have time. There are some cruise lines, like Carnival, which will often sell off cabins with no single supplement. Also, NCL has some small single cabins on the newest ships. I see HAL's new Konigsdam has some small cabin single deals for next year. There are other cruise lines that are putting some single cabins on their new ships. Princess doesn't seem interested in doing that..so far.

Welcome to my world. :cool: It's not fun paying almost double as a solo traveler.

With Princess, your cruise fare is doubled usually and you pay more for port charges too. You just may not realize this because they roll the port charges into the cruise fare. For example, my upcoming cruise's port charges are $175 per person but for a solo, it's $280. :( You only pay for 1 person's government taxes though. (whoopee...)

Just go to Princess' website, choose your cruise and put in that there is 1 person. Watch the price change from 2 people (which it's automatically set to) to 1 person. Then continue on to pick a cabin and you'll see your total price. This will give you an exact comparison between single cabins and double cabins in the same category.

I am looking at doing a solo cruise and understand there is a supplement but the cruise I am looking at - the price is double the twin price

I just noticed the smallest single supplement I have ever seen.

Interior, Emerald Princess 22-February

1 Guest $536

2 Guests $429 / pp

• 3 months later...

I just booked my first solo cruise; I kept my eye out for some of the newer ships from Norwegian and Royal Caribbean that have solo cabins, so no solo supplement. I'm in a studio stateroom, with balcony, on Ovation of the Seas sailing in May/June 2016. Super excited!

The problem is, if you're looking at ships with solo cabins, that limits your destination options.

If you do Anytime dining, they'll ask if you'd like to share a table. I always opt for this because I like to meet new people each night as well as have the flexibility to eat dinner when I'd like. I know some people really prefer Traditional, though -- but it's your call!

Just got back from my latest solo cruise. Paying that additional fare is not fun but having the cabin and bathroom all to yourself is heavenly. :D

I always find it a little decadent.

What would I like to do this second?

There is no compromising, no waiting for someone to be ready

(or they for me).

It can also be a little lonely.

I'm getting ready for my 3rd solo cruise. My first was a 4 day Cal Coastal and it was 150% rate. My 2nd was also a CCoastal 4 day at 200% but they gave $100 obc so it worked out to about the same price.

My 3rd will be a 7 day to Alaska on the grand in May. It is at 200% but they upgraded me to one of those 4 Aloha aft porthole rooms that are supposed to be premium location so sounds fun.

When dining solo, I frequent the Int Café, the buffet, room service, and my fav for solo dining is Alfredos!!! They have lots of two-tops so you don't feel weird alone at a larger table.

So far, I have met other solo travelers on the Roll call and met up for 5 pm happy hour and sometimes dining in the anytime dining room. I absolutely love the freedom and look at this opportunity as a retreat from the stress of life's responsibilities. I have always been welcomed into the dance classes and the trivia games, and met friendly folks. Other times I just lounge in my room in my robe, watch movies and order room service. There is nothing lonely about ME time....it is a luxury and I am most grateful for this R & R.

Don't be afraid to go SOLO. It is wonderful!!!

:o Mary

I have noticed in the 2016 cruises the rate for solo is pushing up near 200% minus the port fees for second person.

I've noticed the same thing. I looked at Med cruises for 2016 and even the inside cabins are at 200% for solo cruisers. If the prices don't come down, I won't be going.