Confused about the different cruise lines and dress codes

kkbrig

I have never cruised before and the amount of information out here is quite overwhelming! I'm trying to do my research and not bother you about silly questions, but unfortunately I have a silly one!

My dad really wants us to go on NCL. I know it's because that is the line that he went on in the past (albeit that was a Caribbean one- he's never done AK) and he is a creature of habit. He says he thinks its the best option for us because of it's flexible dining times and that the dress code is more lax. However, it seems to be rated considerably lower than some of the other lines. I am also looking at Princess and Holland and their one way itineraries. I have read folks referring to dress codes and formal nights, and that they are different ship to ship. I have also read that AK cruises are often less formal than the Caribbean ones. However, I am finding it hard to find this dress code information out for each ship as I am researching both the ship conditions and the itineraries. Is there a place on their website that tells if they have formal nights and what the dress code is the other nights?

I don't want to sound like a total bum, but I guess I am because I really hate to dress up!! I am really wanting to experience AK on this trip- go on some hikes, rafting, etc, and will need all the outdoor/rugged type gear for that. To me, dressed up is my "nice" pair of black jeans and a nice top or sweater!! For my boys, dressed up would mean khaki pants and a polo shirt. Do we all really need to bring formal wear also? Or can we just get room service those nights and save that luggage space??

Thanks for any help!

For formal night... think of what you would wear for a nice restaurant at night... perhaps on a date (no not Mickey Dee's). This is also when the ship photographers will bring out their specialty backgrounds for your cruise pictures. Otherwise formal night might be a good opportunity to check out the buffet.... but you might also miss out on the dining restaurant's best food.

For excursions.... "layering" is the best recommendation. May/June is dryer in Alaska..... July/August is dryer in Vancouver/Seattle. To save on waterproof gortex.... You could always carry an umbrella (I do), but only tourists do that. Not an issue as the ports are overrun by tourists anyways.

Yah... I packed some waterproof steel toe boots. Came in handy on those stormy days and I could hike through the trails and puddles like a 4x4.

Edited by xlxo

kkbrig: Welcome to cruise critic.

Check the individual cruise line website for that line's number of formal nights (usually determined by the length of the cruise you are considering) and dress code. While dress codes for the different cruise lines varies, generally on formal nights the formal night dress code is expected in the main dining room (MDR). Even a line which has formal nights and expects passengers to comply will have options (such evening buffet or room service) for those who don't wish to dress. The dress code will be the same across all ships on the cruise line.

Even though we live in Alaska we have done Alaskan cruises as this state is so large an Alaskan cruise gives us an opportunity to visit a different part of our own state. On our favorite cruise line, which we have used in Alaska, I have found that the dress on an Alaskan cruise is indeed more casual than on other itineraries.

I also just love those cruise line website and brochure photos with those models dressed to the nines -- when you are actually on a ship you will find that passengers are dressed more casually.

I have never cruised before and the amount of information out here is quite overwhelming! I'm trying to do my research and not bother you about silly questions, but unfortunately I have a silly one!

I am also looking at Princess and Holland and their one way itineraries. I have read folks referring to dress codes and formal nights, and that they are different ship to ship. I have also read that AK cruises are often less formal than the Caribbean ones. However, I am finding it hard to find this dress code information out for each ship as I am researching both the ship conditions and the itineraries. Is there a place on their website that tells if they have formal nights and what the dress code is the other nights?

I don't want to sound like a total bum, but I guess I am because I really hate to dress up!! I am really wanting to experience AK on this trip- go on some hikes, rafting, etc, and will need all the outdoor/rugged type gear for that. To me, dressed up is my "nice" pair of black jeans and a nice top or sweater!! For my boys, dressed up would mean khaki pants and a polo shirt. Do we all really need to bring formal wear also? Or can we just get room service those nights and save that luggage space??

Thanks for any help!

I can only speak for Holland America Lines (HAL). Formal Night requires a jacket and tie although there will be a sprinkling of suits and tuxedos. The funny part is that you can wear your hiking shoes with your jacket and tie. Many put their jackets on the back of their chairs when they sit down at their tables. Just wear a sport jacket on the plane ans save the luggage space. The attire for your boys sounds just fine.

For females it is pretty open but no jeans.

Jeans are acceptable for all other nights on HAL.

FWIW you can order from the Main Dining Room and have it delivered to your stateroom while dining in your pajamas.

The Lido Restaurant (buffet) does not have a Formal Night so you would be welcome there.

Princess and HAL are the best for Glacier Bay.

Princess is described as metal and glass where HAL is more wood and carpeting.

For your boys, here are the kids activities for Alaska on HAL:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1693 and kids menus:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/HAL-Kids-Menu.pdf

You can visit my website to see other HAL info: www.rogerjett-photography.com

Your family will love Alaska. Feel free to ask questions.

Princess has 2 formal nights and 5 casual nights. On Princess, I agree that people dress down compared to other itineraries. I have seen people dress casual on formal nights and no one said anything, this of course depends on the ship and Dining Management. I have never seen where they enforced dress codes for kids.

If you choose not to dress up on formal nights, there are other alternatives to the dining room. There is the buffet, alternate restaurants (for a fee) and on some ships, a sit down pizzeria. I know several who choose to go to the steakhouse on formal night to avoid it.

I hate to dress up also and after saying that, I would not let a dress code dictate the ship or cruise line. I would go off of itinerary.

Edited by Coral

First of all, welcome to Cruise Critic and you must be thrilled to have booked your first cruise, especially to Alaska.

We have been to Alaska twice, once on Princess and once on NCL. On both these cruise lines, no one will ever turn you away from the MDR as long as you are dressed neatly. Even on formal nights, very few people really dressed up and the ones that did suits and ties, were more for the photographers.

We have been on 14 cruises and I, like yourself, HATE to get dressed up. We never take anything dressy anymore and just opt for a nice pair of pants and a shirt. My DW will wear a skirt sometimes, but also, just dark pants and a nice top.

Again, you will never be turned away for the MDR, even on formal nights, if you aren't regally dressed.

I cannot speak for Holland, but if I were turned away because I wasn't wearing a suit or tie, I would raise a stink. Formal nights are suggested not mandatory.

Dress how you feel most comfortable. My dress most nights was a nice flannel shirt and Dockers. That is what I am most comfortable in.

Cheers

Len

I am like your Dad, when I find a product I like I stay with it, BTW I also like NCL - probably for the same reason as your Dad - I hate to dress up :). I have also heard that most AK cruises do let off the dress code a bit. I have also heard that HAL does not.

NCL calls their "formal" night dress up - or not night and of the two MDRs only one is designated for the formal night. On NCL the only time I have seen them turn someone away was some teens that were in shorts. Also with the long port times in AK the lack of a fixed dining time in the MDRs makes it very nice. NCL also has several extra fee restaurants one of which does require a minimum of resort casual - collard shirts (polos are OK) and nice slacks - dockers or better.

As for Glacier Bay all ships are on equal footing as the tour is provided by the park rangers on all ships allowed in - currently only Princess, HAL, and NCL have season long access to the park.

On NCL one restaurant will be casual the entire cruise, anything goes, with t shirts no problem.

All the cruise lines have an open seating option in the dining rooms, and jeans and polo shirts are the norm for casual nights. Formal nights is a wide range, but I've seen plenty of polo shirts as well, just not the tshirts. :) Even HAL.

The buffet can be a great option to consider. I haven't done formal nights in over 10 years, and don't plan on starting up again. Food is not important to me, with skipping meals in Alaska the norm for me.

Everyone is different. :)

I totally agree with Budget Queen! The LAST thing I want to worry or fret about in Alaska is a dress code! I came for the scenery & wildlife and the ship is secondary to me. On our Radiance cruise in Alaska last August we did not bring anything other than casual clothes and ate most of our meals in the WJ. We also haven't done formal nights in years and haven't missed them.

Based on how you described your preferences, NCL is your cruise line.

Prnicess and HAL will certainly be more dressy. I cruised the Zuiderdam last summer to Alaska and it was very rare to see a man not wearing a suit jacket on the 2 formal nights.

Enjoy your cruise. :)