Not so Happy Bithday celebration in Chops

sjh422

The policy has changed. There is no longer an early suggested dining time for the kiddies. They are welcomed at any time.

That's probably because enough people, who take their children everywhere whether it is the appropriate time or place, complained.

I think change was more driven by the increasingly international clientele onboard, from cultures where dinner time is commonly 10:00. We have seen very young children dining very late in the specialties and they were perfectly well-behaved. I don't have a problem with that - I have a problem with screamers (of any age) being allowed to ruin the dining experience for others. On Serenade we were subjected to a D+ loudly berating her waiter because they were offering 2:1 to everybody onboard on the first night. She said that she had earned the freebie and others had not, therefore she didn't feel special. The ship's maitre d' was making the rounds and I suggested that he let her know that she could apply her "special" coupon on another night - he immediately sent somebody over to explain that to her and she quieted down.

The issue as OP framed it is that the parent let their child scream throughout the meal. One of them should have taken the child out; both of them if it meant that the other would have to dine alone. The manager could have offered to deliver dinner to their cabin. There were several solutions, and for management to claim that their hands were tied is nonsense.

Happened in windjammer last year on Explorer. This poor kid was screaming bloody murder for his mom who was at the buffet. Someone from RCL finally went up and asked the dad to take the child outside and he did.

The dad should not have to have been asked. When you're a parent, you put yourself out for your kids, even if it means a bit of inconvenience.

How so? You'd have left a meal sitting on the table that YOU PAID FOR !!

Who exactly would you be spiting here ??

Not going to sit there with my stomach in knots. Don't know about the other diners but I would be getting my money back plus a complimentary dinner at a quiet restaurant. And if I'm really lucky I'll also find a complimentary bottle of wine and chocolates waiting for me in my room with an apology for my birthday celebration being ruined because the maitre d didn't do his job:).

Are you suggesting they say something to the parents or the manager...it is not clear in your response.

Agree the OP should have said something to mgmt. about the distraction. I would not approach the family; that is not my responsibility. You just never know how people are going to react and it could add to the circus environment the parents have already created.

The parents of course.

The OP did nothing on their own behalf and then comes here to cry about it. Sorry to be so blunt, but that is the truth.

We didn't have squalling, but we did experience a fairly large table with restless 4-8 year-olds. It's not their fault, but their parents, grandparents, etc. should have finished and exited. It got rather loud, and the relatives were apparently oblivious.

I think the management of Chops is to blame here .. they should have addressed the issue and asked the party to remove the screaming, squalling child.

It is not acceptable to expect everyone to just put up with something like that ... whether its in an extra fee place, the MDR or even the WJ.

Yes, this table of stupid parents not doing anything to quiet their child down would have been unhappy .. but is it better to have the entire restaurant have a miserable night because of this one table?

No way. I'd have been furious.

Update! My husband did have a conversation with the chop.s manager and expressed his anger over the screaming child. The manager said there was nothing he could have done. Would have been nice if he had offered a refund or another dinner but he did not. And it will probably be a waste of time to write a letter to corporate.

Yep, I wouldn't spend extra money to have that happen at dinner. I would have asked the Staff, If they did nothing then I would have asked the family myself.

We used to go out and dine with a couple many years ago. Then they had children and they let them run around and scream and stand up on the table and chairs. Needless to say that came to a screaming halt.

On the kid and family friendly Disney cruise line the upscale restaurant Palo does not allow children. No exceptions. Very classy and romantic and exceptional. As a premium dining experience should be.

I will probably be labeled a real "whiner" but this was not the only infuriating incident we had on this cruise (1/17-1/24). We love the Oasis and this was our 4th cruise this year. We were in Crown Loft Suite 1738 AFT which is directly over the basketball court. I knew that there could be a noise problem but was pleasantly surprised that the bouncing of the basketball could not be heard when the door was closed plus deck was only open until 11pm.

2nd night of cruise at midnight a group of girls were playing basketball and screaming loudly which we did hear with door closed. Called customer service twice and nothing happened. finally around 1am girls left. Same thing happened friday night (1/23). Called customer relations again, security guard came up at 1 am and chased girls off.. DH mentioned that closing time is stated as 11 pm to security guard who said, no they can play there until 1 am which is their curfew.

We are disappointed with RCI, and as much as we love cruising on the Oasis and the Allure, we may have to consider Celebrity or Princess in the future.

When on a cruise we try to get a dinner time of 8:00 or 8:30. That is an ideal time because there are usually fewer or no children present in specialty restaurants. I believe it's not fair for a young child to have to be on their best behavior when it may be way past their bedtime. I get annoyed when parents act like their child is not even present and require attention. On our last cruise on the Allure there were children present in the CL who were so well behaved. Their mother's behavior was so embarrassing when she reprimanded one of her sons in such a harsh manner. I will put the responsibility on the parents most of the times. Other times there may be a reason for their behavior (my special ed. background comes into play here). If you are not happy with the situation at the moment and you are not "heard" then the issue needs to be taken to a higher level.

Have you emailed rccl about the 3 things or put it in your comment card? I would infrom Rccl. How late did you start your dinner. If it was 7:00 or later there is no excuse for parents with a very young child eating that late.

RCI now allows guests under 13 at all times when accompanies by adults. They changed that in the past year or so.

Update! My husband did have a conversation with the chop.s manager and expressed his anger over the screaming child. The manager said there was nothing he could have done. Would have been nice if he had offered a refund or another dinner but he did not. And it will probably be a waste of time to write a letter to corporate.

Of course there was something he could have done. He just didn't have the cojones to do it (or perhaps was expressly forbidden from it by a similarly impotent individual). If I had been that bothered by it, I would mentioned it sooner. I also would have asked for a complimentary dinner, not waited for it to be offered. Actually, if I had been that bothered (and I probably wouldn't have been because wine helps me cope with many things:), I would have left and told them not to bill me the cover charge. Had they insisted I would have taken it up with the hotel director. Only you can look out for you.

And why not email corporate? Just polish your first post and send it off - how long will that take you?

RCI now allows guests under 13 at all times when accompanies by adults. They changed that in the past year or so.

Thank you for clearing that info. really appreciated. Man what a crappy decision. They should set a time for no children past 7:00 at the fee dining. If I am paying I am not putting up with it. This is why I was at WJ late. Very little amount to no kids![emoji41]

A family celebration in Chops was disappointing when a young child in the room screamed and cried during our entire dinner. The child's family made no effort

Whatsoever to appease or quiet the child. Looking back now, we should have asked to be rescheduled for another dining time as the noise resonated throughout the entire restaurant. Hate that there are people who do not respect the rights of others.

I fully understand your situation but what "rights" do you mean?

I like the idea of picking up the plates and leaving!

Seriously, I would definitely inform the manager at the time of the meal that the noise is intolerable and expect a refund and a different seating time when that family would not be in attendance.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2156680

2nd night of cruise at midnight a group of girls were playing basketball and screaming loudly which we did hear with door closed. Called customer service twice and nothing happened. finally around 1am girls left. Same thing happened friday night (1/23). Called customer relations again, security guard came up at 1 am and chased girls off.. DH mentioned that closing time is stated as 11 pm to security guard who said, no they can play there until 1 am which is their curfew.

We are disappointed with RCI, and as much as we love cruising on the Oasis and the Allure, we may have to consider Celebrity or Princess in the future.

Have you emailed rccl about the 3 things or put it in your comment card? I would infrom Rccl. How late did you start your dinner. If it was 7:00 or later there is no excuse for parents with a very young child eating that late.

I called post cruise customer relations, gave them all the details of our bad experiences. They said they will get back to us later this week.

We arrived at chops at 6 pm.

I called post cruise customer relations, gave them all the details of our bad experiences. They said they will get back to us later this week.

I think RCCL will do something, every time I had a valid complaint whatever cruise line responded

So you did absolutely nothing onboard, wait until you get home, and then complain to RCCL and expect them to give you something now?

You never gave them a chance to take any action when the event transpired but now they are supposed to pay.

Doesn't seem fair in my opinion.

Perhaps you should have got up, walked over, and said something. That would be my advice.

Not sure why you do absolutely nothing and then come here to Cruise Critic and post about it. What is it that you are expecting us to do or say?

THATS definitely what we would have done..especially my husband...look out kids!!

Unfortunately that's their policy. They no longer confront guests as they don't want to offend them. That's why NOTHING is enforced.

That is exactly right.

I feel sorry for the op because this is a no win scenario. Management will not say anything to the parents and if you confront the parents as others have suggested, it'll only make things worse. Parents nowadays are selfish and no other adults are allowed to speak up when their kids act up. Saying something would have only started a fight.

RCI specialty restaurants need to go back to the old rules of 13 and older.